Chapter 22 : This Island We Called Serenity
21 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was around 9, maybe even 10 in the morning, and it was our last day here in Geamradh, or… for them at least. Everyone was packing up their stuff with Alaxandair’s servants, mine too, even though I am not going back with them. They said they’re going to depart around noon, except for Pere, he’s actually going first.

 

“You, really sure you can handle a journey that long Pere?” Arthur asked.

“I’ve been on horseback since a kid, and… well, being dragged to nearby skirmishes and even a battle has conditioned me to be tolerant with a horse’s many gallops! I’ll be fine Arthur! Also, this is actually really serious, one of father’s border lords sent a raven to me, their scouts reported that movements from the Dragon King’s army down south of the Rio River! So, I need to assess it as quick as possible!”

“The Dragon King?” Arthur asked confusingly.

“He’s Carlos de Augusto, King of Lugrevar and he’s the one that’s occupying Sof’s kingdom.” Pere answered.

“Ohh! Well, just don’t forgot to send a raven or a messenger when you arrive!”

“Of course! And thank you for the concern, Arthur!” Pere smiled, appreciating Arthur genuine concern and attentiveness.

“No problem!”

 

And after that, with his retinue that he brought, Pere said his goodbyes to us all and went off back to his castle, Castellon.

That was a couple of hours ago, currently I am about to enter Alaxandair’s room to talk about his realm and the traitor he said should captured this afternoon. But when I went inside, I saw… Eleanna.

She was giving the letters that Eleanna informed us of who were the traitors that pledged to an open revolt with Domnall.

 

“Lord Protector!” Basíleios, leaning over the wall near Alaxandair, noticed me first.

“L- Martyn! What bring you here?” Alaxandair asked.

“Your traitors.” I said bluntly.

“Ohh, them… well, Cormac said that they would be here around noon, pretty much after Lady Eleanna and the others depart, also, thank you for the letters, Lady Eleanna!”

“It’s the least I could do your grace.” She said it… quite coldly. “I’ll be taking my leave now.”

“El! I-” But before I could say something to her, she… straight up teleported out of the room.

“Woah… if I may pry, what happened yesterday, Lord Protector? Xandair only said that you revealed a really big secret.” Basíleios asked in a very intrigued tone.

“I… helped faked her, our, friend’s death, it’s so she could follow her passion.” I answered

“Hmm… that friend of yours must meant a lot for Lady Eleanna.”

“Yeah… I really made El think that she failed her…” I somber a bit, still reflecting on the pain I caused to Eleanna. “But enough of that! Alax, what are you going to do with your traitors?”

“For now… I am only sure in stripping titles and lands as well as putting Lords like Owain’s and their successor’s heads on a spike, their family’s fate also will be that of an exile, if, they can prove their innocence and uninvolvement in the scheming of course. Duncan’s head will be on a spike too, but… I am on the fence on what the fate of the macAnndras should be, Lady Eleanna’s, Lady Chloé’s and even my sister’s crows reported and even found evidence that everyone in his family, especially his son and heir, Anndra, doesn’t know his actions and schemes, but again, he and his family can prove it like the U’Ríans and the others this afternoon.”

“And your cousins?”

“Domnall… is family, as much as I hate to say it. There will be a separate trial not involving me and Ruith, his sister on the other hand has made a deal with me. She will denounce Domnall, then after the verdict, whether it’s death or exile, she will inherit Mochrumm and name me as the sole inheritor Mochrumm.”

 

He was decisive, no shying around, as his eyes told me everything of his resolve. This must be the resolute nature of the Winter Child that Amadela and Ruith has been telling me about.

 

“Why not just cut their balls off?" Basíleios out of nowhere drop the ball.

“Basíl…” Slightly shocked, but Alaxandair was more disappointed. “This is not Vida where you make slaves out of your traitors, oath breakers’ only have one fate here in the west, death.” Alaxandair said.

“I know and I get it, but… c’mon! killing them would be a waste of good human resources! Your traitors are still nobles that can read, write, and do math!”

“But even then, they’ll still be a threat! Just because their balls are not there, doesn’t mean their will and motivations are gone. Do I have to remind you when your eunuchs revolted and even took some parts of your castle and even Gregór! The man that has proven himself to be your best champion was taken as their hostage?”

“No, you don’t.” Basíleios replied with a very soured tone.

“Exactly!”

“But still… Lord Protector!” Basíleios suddenly called for me. “What would you do if you are in Xandair’s position? What would the fate of your traitors be?”

“Death… would be the first answer, once a traitor always a traitor, and cutting their balls is kind of barbaric.” I answered.

“Haha…” Alaxandair chuckled as Basíleios soured back again.

“But you aren’t wrong Your Royal Highness, they are nobles, their skills are above and beyond the ordinary commoner, but again, using them would be a high risk high reward situation, you’ll need to monitor them 24/7.”

“And I am not in the mood to be their overseer.”

“Always never in the mood, when will you ever be in the mood Xandair?” Basíleios asked.

“When you stop kissing my ass!” Alaxandair answered with a livid tone.

“But your ass is wonderful!”

 

And after that… well, Alaxandair and Basíleios went back to that annoyed guy and teasing guy, or might be teasing girl in this case, duo archetype. It was a curious and a relieving sight to be honest, because after the whole ordeal with Durell, Domnall, and his drunken breakdown, I was actually concern.

I saw a man that was just tired of life, with eyes that has lost all of its light. But when they came, one of the many old friends that he made through out his travels, Basíleios and Elenē return the light in his eyes, even if its slightly dim for now, but either way, I hope he finds his footing back.

 

* * *

 

“All set?” I asked Arthur who was already on horseback.

“Yep.” He confirmed. “And are you really not returning with us only for assessing Tuath?”

“Kinda… Eleanna is already avoiding me, and being on a same convoy with her would suffocate her, so…”

“Hmm… but keep chipping her wall Mar! She can’t keep the silent treatment for so long.”

“Yeah… and watch over her for me will you!”

“Of course!”

 

After that we made a slight fist bump and I waved goodbye to everyone, whereas they departed, a convoy of people on horseback pass them and was about to enter Castle Feannag. It was Alaxandair’s house guards and their captain, Cormac, bringing his traitors and their successors, gagged and bound who were sitting in a shaby cart, with some of their families on horseback, most of which are their younger sons.

Alaxandair was stoic and cold as usual while standing beside me, he wasn’t going to show them mercy after all, but I felt a sense of disbelief from his eyes. I could hear the silent disappointed sigh just from his demeanour and… a sense of feeling betrayed.

He did said he cared for his people, lowborn and highborn, he saw them all as his kinsman that must be protected and helped, and seeing this betrayal, just really soured what he believes in.

 

Time passes and when their families are all present in the trial, everything could start now.

Alaxandair sat on his throne, being the judge and prosecutor, while me and Basíleios were standing not far a way from him, not as juries, or even lawyers, we’re here just to witness the trial, as everything is determinate by Tuaths among themselves.

The trial was somewhat familiar with the normal judicial trial I have seen back earth, with the prosecuted being defended by a lawyer that they have and the prosecutor, Alaxandair, presenting the evidence to condemn them, it was formulaic and boring really

 

“Fuck this trial! My father is innocent! I demand a Rútíraic for him!” The room was in awe, everyone was shocked of what he demanded, Alaxandair expected it but was still vexed that it was demanded, while I… was confused at what he demanded.

“Rútíraic is more or less a trial by combat, there’s some few changes made here, like no touching throughout the combat, the fight is not to the death, and you must do it yourself.” Ruith explained, out of nowhere, who probably knew from miles away that I was confused at what cultural and lawful piece that was just demanded.

“Huh… wait, you need to do it yourself?”

“Yep, as per the law that my ancestor, Dafydd Áskellson, created. He reasons too that if you invoke this right, you must be the one to exact it yourself.”

 

The room fell silent, as all the witnesses, lawyers, the prosecuted, guards, and servants moved to the sides, as the young lord that invoke that right and Alaxandair that was answering that right was in the middle of the court.

Their hands were equipped with their longswords, curiously they weren’t wearing any armor, they only wore their usual formal attire, and the fight was about start.

 

Swords clash between each other, the steel sings of their fight, and the sweat between the young lord and Alaxandair were being poured all over the room.

The outcome was as clear as day, Alaxandair was winning. Even though he was slightly shorter than his opponent, his way of attack was really overwhelming, as the power he was unleashing was borderline superhuman I have to say. Alaxandair wasn’t playing around as that is one thing I very well know about him now, yet… how he swings, thrust, and moves makes it like he is not giving it all, like he is only using a fraction of his power, like it’s a child’s play for him.

And this might be the powers that Ruith has told me, the power of the Feannag Kings, now Grand Dukes. The power and magic system in this world is just plainly wacky, I mean Eleanna herself somehow could make rare minerals and irons out of ordinary stuff, and this… seeing Alaxandair’s true power, really cements it.

 

Clang…

 

The sword of the young lord, flew out of his hand as Alaxandair disarmed him with a hard and swift strike, ending this trial by combat.

 

“And with this Count Rhodri of Glagruff of House U’Gruff.” While sheathing his sword, Alaxandair turns towards the man he is sentencing. “By the name of me, Alaxandair, the second of my name of House Feannag, Grand Duke of Tuath, I denounce you, your heir, and your family as traitors to Tuath. All your lands and titles will be stripped from you and your family, your family will live their remaining days outside of Tuath as exiles, and I sentence you and your heir to death, and may the mother fay forgive your sins.”

 

And with that, Alaxandair brought justice to one of his many traitors here.

 

* * *

 

“Archcount Duncan of Dùnàrd, of the House of macAnndra! Rise!” Alaxandair called for his last traitor. “What do you plead?”

“Guilty my lord…” This shocked the room again, because throughout the trial Alaxandair’s traitors have always pleaded not guilty.

“…” Alaxandair was silent for moment. “Still, as per the Áskell Law, you still have the right to defend yourself and/or make a statement before I sentences you and your heir.”

“There’s only one thing I want to state, spare my family, my sons, my daughters, and my heir my lord! They do not know, aware, nor are a part of my traitorous scheme, especially my heir! Let him live please!”

“…” Silence again, Alaxandair was a bit taken a back actually, I could see that after the many man that has selfishly look out for themselves in this trial, Alaxandair wasn’t prepared for a man that admits his sins and only seeks the safety of his family, it was… confusing for him, on what fate this man’s family would be, but he was still resolute on what he has in store for that man. “Is that all Lord macAnndra?”

“Yes, my lord…” He bowed down so deeply, appealing for his mercy as he answered Alaxandair.

“Then, by the name of me, Alaxandair, the second of my name of House Feannag, Grand Duke of Tuath, I denounce you and you alone as a traitor to Tuath.” That denouncement shocked the court. “Because of the lack of evidence of your family’s involvement with your traitorous schemes and plots, they are acquitted from exile, your heir will inherit everything you have. But, your second son will be my hostage until your heir has a heir, where your heir’s heir will be exchange with your second son, he will be released when he inherits everything that is his by his right.” Alaxandair took a small breather before continuing. “And now, I sentence you to death Lord macAnndra, may the mother fay forgive your sins.”

“Thank you my lord…” He wept slightly, out of relief definitely, because his family is safe.

 

That was it, the last head to be put in a spike has been sanctioned and the execution will happen tomorrow in the middle of noon. I am actually kind of relief that I am not going to see that many man being beheaded.

 

* * *

 

I was standing near the docks, waiting for the men that Amadela assigned to guard me, board on the ship that I hired to bring me back to Londini. Alaxandair, Ruith, and even Basíleios and Elenē was seeing me off.

 

“Safe travels Lord Protector!” Elenē gave her blessings to me.

“Thank you, Your Royal Highness!” I nodded in gratitude. “I guess… this is farewell.”

“For now! I expect you to be here in Aestas to take care of my sister!” Alaxandair…. Reminded me, of something that I somewhat wanted to forget, but... no, I gotta be there, I am not my dad.

“Of course Alax!”

“Martyn! Before you go, I’ve decided a name for one of the twins if one of them is a she.” Ruith held me back for a moment.

“I hope it’s a pretty name.”

“It’s Áine!”

“Anne?”

“Áine, yes, after the friend that makes you the miracle worker you are!” She explains.

“Áine… yeah, that’s a pretty name.”

 

We held hands for a moment, having a somewhat sweet moment after naming one of our twins, until of course Alaxandair has to ruin it.

 

“Okay that’s enough! Stop touching my sister and get the enfer out of my realm!” Alaxandair separated us.

“Brother…” Ruith was a bit embarrassed.

“Dude I’ve already touched your sister, in… more ways than one…” I smirked a bit at him.

“You better get in that ship or I am going to sacrifice your heart to the mother fay!” He threatens me.

“Oohh… scary!” I mocked his toothless threats.

 

I then walked to the ship but before I set foot on it, Alaxandair called for me.

 

“Take care Martyn!” His lividness subsided as he give me a proper farewell.

“You too Alax!” I waved him goodbye as I put my foot on the ship.

 

* * *

 

“Wait, didn’t you wanted to talk to Martyn about something important Basíl?” I asked him, the other reason why he came this far north.

“I’ve already talked to him about that and his answer… was, no, for now at least he said.” Basíl said.

“Hmm… if you need an army, I could always lend my Yeoman Hunters.” I offered.

“Thank you Xandair, but I already have an army. What I need is legitimacy, if I could bring the Lord Protector or one of his friends as a supporter for my claims, I could sway everyone there in a matter of seconds.”

“You will have your throne Basíl.” Sister suddenly spoke up. “I’ve foreseen it, but it wouldn’t be with the Lord Protector, your will get what is rightfully yours with the Golden Snake.”

“Haha…” Basíl chuckled. “As cryptic as the scholars said, thank you My Lady!”

“Your, welcome.”

 

* * *

 

The winds were howling, blowing violently, at the skies, sails, ship, and the waters. I did expect there would be a storm in the middle of our journey, but I didn’t expect it to be this early, this close even! I think it’s only been a couple of kilometers from Geamradh.

But nonetheless, I am in a somewhat safe spot, in the captain’s quarter with my guards, but, well… the problem from the outside came eventually.

 

BRAK!

 

I heard a sudden loud huge thump from the outside, it was like a tree has fallen, and it was it as I went outside to check the situation.

Fire were spreading after the main pole of the ship was strucked by lightning and the crew were in a hurry to quell the fire. I joined them as I called my guards too to help, we grabbed the buckets and threw the water inside it at the fire, we repeated with every bucket there were to desperately kill the flame, and the flame were killed, but it wasn’t by us.

It was the wave, thrice the height of Arthur and me as it swept inside the ship and… me.

 

* * *

 

I woke up with the waves crashing near my feet, my clothes drenched in seawater, and my face smeared with the white sand I was laying on.

 

Shit…

 

I walked around in the beach for a moment to realize I was in an island, either inland island or not that far from the mainland as I saw a cliff, it was fuzzy, far and covered by fog, but I could see it. But there was something else that I saw, not outside of this island, inside of this island, a mansion uphill not far from the shores.

Seeing as nightfall was creeping by, I walked my ass off to the mansion for shelter, went in to the more or less tundra forest with its long pine trees and deers inside it.

 

After passing the forest and hiking up the hill to the mansion, I arrived to be greeted with… a really weird feeling coming from the mansion. It was intriguing, but… it feels like it’s warning me to stay away, but I don’t have a choice here, there’s no natural caves and I don’t have the time to create a makeshift shelter.

So, with a raised awareness and a prepared mind for anything, I went in to the mansion. Inside was dark as expected, though it was shined a bit by the sunlight outside through the windows and holes of the mansion.

And to call it rundown on the other hand is… not wrong, there are a couple of holes in the ceiling and even walls, but it feels like this was maintained nicely, from how the floors looked, how the wooden stairs are not even rotting, makes it seems like this mansion was recently abandoned.

 

“Who’s there?” A man’s voice, somewhat deep, suddenly roared to the mansion. “This island has been abandoned for centuries, answer now or I will snap your neck immediately!”

“Martyn! Martyn Wulf! One of the second summoned heroes!” I panicked a bit and quickly inform who I was.

“The second… heroes…” He went quiet for a moment.

 

And then suddenly clumps of black mist gathered not far from my front, to reveal… a wolf, a black wolf in front of me.

 

“Antéosaín… tell me, why have you come here?” He speaks, not of hostility, but genuine curiosity.

“I got shipwrecked here.” I answered as honestly as I could.

“Hmm…” He stared at me, his black wolf eyes stared at my eyes, piercing it like it was observing my soul. “No Antéosaín, I meant WHY are you here, in this world.”

“I… I don’t know, successorship maybe? My father, my friend’s mother which is also my teacher’s older sister and my friend’s uncle was the first heroes, but even then… I… don’t quite know why your God summoned them here.”

“Hmm…” Still staring at me with his black wolf eyes. “Then what have you been doing here in this world, Antéosaín?”

“I made a deal with the King of Albion, that I would improve everything Albion has.”

“And this is because you don’t have the powers that this world seeks?”

“Yes… we’re just kids, my teacher hasn’t seen combat in ages, we’re normal folks.”

“Hmm…” Again, staring back at me, prying into my soul. “Now answer me this Antéosaín, what would you do if have the said power that this world seeks from you and your companions?”

“I would still do what I have promised, I don’t know who your judgement bringer is, I don’t even know if I, my friends, and my teacher could defeat him!”

“…” Now it was just silence, he didn’t even stare at me, he was thinking. “Make an eternal contract with me Antéosaín.”

“I am sorry what?” I was honestly blindsided by his proposition.

“You need help, you as the second heroes still needs the power of this world to defeat Dubh, because whatever your plan is, it means nothing if you don’t slay Dubh with your own hands! Now…” Clumps of black mist suddenly gathered again in front of me and him, it was building like a mini tower in front of me, and when it unveils, it was a sword… the bastard sword from that dream.

“This sword…”

“You have seen it?!” He was shocked. “Then you really are the second heroes, make a pact with me! Have the power of the Betitari inside of you and take this sword! The bastard sword of the bastard Karlian knight, Maximilian the Grey! As this power will help you defeat Dubh Antéosaín.

 

The proposition was… something, I was a bit suspicious, a bit wary of what his real intention was. I am scared really, I don’t what will happen to me if I accept it or even deny it.

That sword also… I saw my death, saw the end itself, I… I don’t know.

What should I do? The powers of what this world’s offer would help me, but… am I really willing to die for this world? Willing to sacrifice everything? Am I that man? Am I…

I don’t who I am, I’ve never found myself, but… maybe, I could myself here.

 

“Okay.” I nodded.

“Then touch the pommel, Antéosaín.”

 

I then touched it and his paw was laid on top of my hand where, suddenly our surroundings were covered by the black mist.

 

“I solemnly swear to defeat the end itself, do you solemnly swear to defeat the end itself, Antéutaíon?”

“Yes.”

“And by Lux the High God, this oath will bound us together until the demise of the end itself, or our death.”

 

After that, the black mist dissipated, and I was left with feeling something new… something different. It wasn’t quite like a level up nor a feeling of strength, it’s not burden as well, but… it feels like there’s a second me inside.

I then pulled the bastard sword, raising it up high, and with the power I have now, I changed it, as I slowly lowered it down, I changed gradually to the sword I could wield, a Rapier sword. The only thing I kept from in this new version is the Nordic pommel.

 

“Hmm… quite the elegant weapon.” He said.

“Thank you, ohh and what’s your name?”

“I… don’t remember. It’s been more than a millennia since I used that name… and I don’t think I want to remember that name anymore.”

“Well… you’ll still need a name… for convenience, I’ll call you Hitam from now on!”

“Hitam… What does it mean?”

“It means black in Indonesian.”

“It seems my partner lacks an imagination.” He took some pot shots at me.

“Look I don’t have time to think up of multi meaning names, I need to get back to Londini now!”

“But you do not know how to, am right?”

“Y-yeah…”

“Sit down and follow my lead.”

 

As I sat down on the cold marble floor of the mansion, he suddenly spoke to me, but not through words.

 

Antéosaín, Do you hear me?

Yeah! Woah… so this is telepathy.

Yes, but focus! Clear your mind Antéosaín and think of what Londini is, where it is, how warm or cold it is, what special features it has, everything, because every details helps you to be teleported there!

Okay, okay…

 

I think of the castle, the somewhat modern looking castle that Castle Feannag has, I then remember of the shores, the white shores where I puked, then I remember the cliffs, the white cliffs that reminds me of the White Cliffs of Dover, and I remembered everything…

I remembered the dirt streets that leads to the inner parts of the city and slums, I remembered exactly where me and Eleanna was against the three bandits, I remembered vividly, the market, the fountain, the details of the floors, the waters, the mermaid… How am I….

 

Antéosaín! FOCUS! This vivid and accurate memory is one of the powers of this world, now focus where you want to land!

 

I focused again, remembering the sea, remembering that Londini is a coastal city.

As I know what to do now, black mist suddenly appears as it covers the mansion lightly. I stood up and went outside to see that the black mist has covered the island also.

 

* * *

 

The black mist finally withdrew with Londini as clear as day to my eyes. I then build a land bridge near the south gate and walked towards it, the guards were alarmed but when they saw me, they calmed down as they opened the gates for me.

I was escorted by some of them to Castle Krone, passing by the people who were startled to see their Lord Protector walking pass the merchants with their carts full goods, pass other guards in their station, and peasants galore in the street, working, playing, and living in general.

 

When I finally arrived at Castle Krone it was calm inside, the courtiers and servants were doing their duties as per usual, the knights and guards were on guard duty as usual too. Though that serenity went out when they saw me, saw a somewhat dirt ridden, slightly smelly me that walked through the halls, while leaving dirt too from my every step, which obviously shocked them with my presences.

But none were as shocked as everyone I was trying to see, who were eating in the dining hall.

 

“Mar… Martyn?! Jesus Christ, what the fuck happen to you dude?” Arthur voiced his concern immediately when he saw the state I was in.

“By Lux… so that’s why you weren’t a day early!” Kristof was as shocked as Arthur too.

“What happened Martyn?!” Miss Marie too asked concernedly.

“I got shipwrecked, stranded in an island for a day, and… well…”

“You brought the Isle of Tanefedd here… I know how, but… are you feeling okay Lord Protector?” Amadela said, though more on the curious side.

“I think I am fine, a bit sleepy, but… yeah, I am fine!”

“Then my guess is right!” She then risen from her seat. “Lord Protector! Let’s get you clean first and immediately to bed! And where is your familiar?”

“He’s still in the island maintaining some stuff and It’s okay! This isn’t my first rodeo on a staying up late! But a nice bath would be nice.”

“No, I am sorry if this sounds rude, but you’re not getting it Lord Protector! You need to rest! You not only teleported yourself, but you also teleported an entire island!”

“Jeez I am fine Princess! I am not going to suddenly crash! Now if you excuse me, I’ll be taking a nice hot bath.”

 

I then turned away from them and moved back from where I came from, but… when I took a step, somehow… it felt heavy, I then took another step and my mind went blurry suddenly, I then took another and I stumbled upon Eleanna.

 

“Elea…” I don’t know why, I felt like my energy was just gone, not even enough to say Eleanna’s name.

“…” She was silent, I expected that from her, but… ohh god… I am seeing two of her now and… ohh shit what the-

 

I crashed, crashed in front of Eleanna, in front of everyone who was shocked and went immediately to me, and Eleanna… I saw glimpse, a glimpse of distress in her eyes for a split second, just right before my eyes finally shut.

 

Wow.... after a year we're finally here! damn...

 

So yeah! this is the end of the first major arc. Tuath still has some stories to tell, but it won't be through Martyn, it will be through Alaxandair and his quite the lecherous eastern friend, but their story is for another time.

As this arc was more or less focused on Martyn, his actions, consequences and who he is. The next arc will be on Arthur, we'll explore more on this bear of a man that Martyn calls the Golden Boy.

Thank you for reading! and I hope you guys will enjoy the next arc!

 

Sincerely, The Fiddling Cat, Ciao!

0