3
512 6 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The trip to the nearest down was fairly uneventful other than the occasional bickering between Cal and Gabs. They had a few run ins with some thieves but Cal, already in a spoiled mood sent them running away with a volley of offensive light spells. While the spells wouldn't kill the thieves, Cal made sure they hurt enough that they wouldn't be bothering him or his friends again. It was dusk when they eventually reached the town called Wormsfang. Since it was after curfew, Alicia had to bribe the guards at the gates with a bottle of hot spiced whine that Cal warmed up with a bit of magic, the guards were all too happy to have something warm and alcoholic in their stomachs and they gladly opened the gates for the trio of adventurers. 

The town itself was a bit small with dusted gravel roads and worn dirt paths, but there were several inns open and after a small argument between Gabs and Cal it was decided they'd stay at the Inn that had accommodations for horses. Alicia paid for a single room that she and Cal would share while the innkeeper was kind enough to give Gabs free board and food in the stables. Once Gabs was led outside and given a bowl of oats and a pitcher of milk, Alicia and Cal said goodnight to her and headed inside the Inn towards a booth, as they got comfortable in their seats, Alicia ordered wine and bread for herself and a salad and ale for Cal. 

A few drinks in and Alicia had the courage to speak up to Cal.

"I know you want to ignore everything that's happened.. But we really should find you some new clothes that fit in the morning." She said in a hushed whisper as she leaned over the table and looked Cal in the eyes. 

He crossed his arms over his chest and grumbled something in elvish. Alicia only knew a bit of Cals native tongue but she knew enough to understand that he had just said several unruly swear words.

"Cmon Cal, don't be like that. It's just clothes." Alicia said growing slightly irritated.

"It's not just clothes Alicia. There's nothing wrong with what I'm wearing, just drop it." The young elf spat at his companion.

"Fine be stubborn, but don't whine about your clothes not fitting properly once we get on the road." Alicia replied with a huff. She was growing very tired of her friends sullen attitude, she missed the happy, bubbly Cal that was such a joy to be around. She drained the rest of her wine and got up, leaving Cal at the table by himself. 

Cal slowly finished his salad and was about to get up and retire to his and Alicia's room for the night, he was interrupted by a small 'ahem' from behind him. He turned around and saw a young man with mousy brown hair and large round glasses who looked to be in his late teens or early twentys. 

"Excuse me ma'am.. I hate to interrupt but I couldn't help but notice that you're an elf."

The man hesitantly reached into his robes and retrieved a worn book, he set it down on the table in front of Cal and took a step back clearing his throat. Cal read the title of the book. 'An intermediates guide for casting magic' 

"I'm self taught.. And unfortunately I've hit a snag in my learning... I figured since you're an elf and elves are experienced in magic, maybe you could teach me? I'll pay you or work for you.. I'll even do both if I have to." The man continued to rabble on as he looked down at Cal with a pleading expression plastered on his face.

Cal groaned internally and shook his head he was about to decline the young man's request but suddenly he had a change of heart. He'd always wanted an apprentice, what harm would it do to teach this boy.

"Sit down, before I accept your offer I'd like you to tell me a bit about yourself. Let's start off with introductions." Cal said as he held out his small hand for the teen to shake. 

"My name is Cal." He said as the man shook his hand and sat down across from him.

"I'm Bjorn, it's a pleasure to meet you Cal." The man said with a smile on his face. 

Cal returned the smile and listened as Bjorn told him his story.

"So my mother died when I was 12 and my father died in the great war of the kingdom Silva when I was very young. My mother was a human witch.. I'm not sure what my father was but I know he was a talented mage. I want to follow in their footsteps and make a name for myself, I want to give this world some happiness if I'm able to." Bjorn finished with a sigh as he leaned back into his seat.

Cal nodded and was silent for a few moments as he pondered Bjorn's words. He felt the man was trust worthy and he admired his reasons for wanting to learn magic.

"I will take you in as my apprentice, Bjorn but first some rules must be laid down." Cal paused as the young man eagerly nodded. 

"First, no payment is necessary for my lessons other than you join my friends and I on our adventures, there's plenty of experience in dungeon diving and it will help you grow. Secondly you must agree to follow my instructions without argument. A lot of bad things can happen if you rush into advanced magic so we'll need to take things slow at first. Is this agreeable to you?" Cal said, hiding his excitement to finally have the opportunity to teach someone. 

Bjorn eagerly nodded and Jumped up to shake Cals hand. "Yes! Yes! Thank you so much ma'am I won't disappoint you I promise." Bjorn exclaimed. 

"Good, meet me back here in the morning and pack your belongings, we won't be staying here long." Cal said with a genuine smile. He felt extremely happy for the first time since meeting that djinn. 

After bidding Bjorn goodnight, Cal rushed up the wooden steps of the Inn and burst into his and Alicia room. He shut the door and started to shake Alicia till she woke up.

Alicia grumbled and rubbed her eyes, she sat up and stared at the happy little elf bouncing up and down with excitement.

"What is it Cal? Why are you in such a good mood." Alicia asked with a yawn. 

"I have an apprentice!!" Cal practically shouted. He had a huge smile on his face. 

Alicia smiled back at him and pulled the small elf in bed with her. 

"That's great news, Cal. We'll talk about it more in the morning, get some sleep okay?" Alicia said with a smile as she pulled the energetic elf close to her. 

17