Book 4 chapter 1
747 3 60
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The room was deafly quiet as Hecatolite sat on the table before Eironn, black lines dancing around her narrowed eyes as she gazed into the elderly elf' eyes. No one dared speak as her long tail lazily flicked behind her, the long appendage easily reaching the ground as it tapped almost rhythmically on the floor.  

Cemi couldn’t pinpoint when everything had gone so wrong. She had done everything right… hadn’t she? 

Just as promised she brought the group directly to the council upon arriving in the city, thankfully Hecatolite’s… episode outside the city had given her time to send word so they didn’t even have to wait. Amethyst's presentation was just as heartfelt as the first time she had heard it, Cemi was confident that the young woman's passion would reach the other members.

Sure, Cemi would need to provide the final push once Amethyst had finished; but with Alagos supporting her she felt it would be a simple matter to arrange an official offer to send to Crown to form an alliance. Cemi had to give it to Amethyst, even if she was slightly optimistic, the young noble had laid the foundation perfectly. Amethyst had provided the spark Cemi needed to push this all forward. Yet somehow it had all gone… wrong. 

Just as Amethyst was wrapping up, Hecatolite had moved, the action little more than a blur in Cemi’s eyes as she appeared before the elder of the council. If Hecatolite had just approached the man it wouldn’t have been that big of a deal, but she just… materialized before him, perched on the table like a cat ready to pounce as her clawed hands dug into the thick wooden table she now sat on. 

Then out of nowhere Hecatolite began talking about… tiny people in the elder’s eyes? Cemi couldn’t follow what exactly was going on, though she did hear the others in the room gasp as Himari summoned a terminal; something Cemi hadn’t known the human woman could do.

“Well,” Himari whispered as she tapped on the terminal in her hands. Cemi couldn’t pinpoint exactly how but something was different about the terminal Himari had summoned compared to the ones the Lapidary girls called. It could be the difference in the color, Himari’s terminal appearing a light blue compared to the twins' deep red, as that was the only noticeable difference; but that didn’t feel quite right. The fact Cemi couldn’t actually read what was displayed on the terminal was odd, she had no problems reading Amethyst terminal when it was summoned, but Himari’s was an incomprehensible mess of strange symbols as she sighed and turned to Amethyst. “We never reactivated the notifications.”

Though the words meant nothing to the chairwoman, Amethyst clearly understood. Summoning a terminal of her own Amethyst’s shoulders slumped. “That… explains a lot. Mom always replies so fast I didn’t notice.” She muttered to herself as her terminal flashed, its robotic voice barely audible as it spoke.

“You have 39 unread messages, 568 unclaimed prayers and 57 offerings.”

Cemi… was unsure of what to make of its exclamation. She understood the words but… prayers and offerings…

Amethyst looked just as confused as she tapped on the terminal, “How do I have… Eryl?” 

The tall elven woman shook her head before pointedly looking at Cemi, “This is not the place Amethyst.” 

The young woman nodded in understanding and Cemi decided right then that whatever that was, like many things about the strange girls, was none of her business. Then again, the next thing she said made Cemi’s blood run cold. “Good point, later then. Babylon, please send a message to Soter and Siofra…”

  That… I… Cemi swallowed hard as Eryl’s ears folded back. Clearly, I misheard that. That’s it… I mean it’s possible that she just knows people with the same name as the gods, it's really not that uncommon, that must be it. She tried hard to focus on Hecatolite who was now inspecting the elder as if she had just noticed the man himself.

Hecatolite carefully raised a single finger and tapped the man in the center of the forehead, she let out a low rumbling sound that may have been a growl as she continued to glare into the man’s eyes.

Eironn’s voice cut through the room as the elderly man ignored the prodding. “You have given us much to think about young Amethyst.” Hecatolite moved to inspecting the man’s arm as he spoke, “We must discuss what we wish to do with this information,” He stood as Hecatolite pulled his chair out from under him, her eyes now focused on the floor as if she were searching for something. “If you wish to explore our fine city while we deliberate, we should have a reply ready for you on the morrow.”

Hecatolite let out an annoyed huff as she stood, her head just popping up over the table as she glared up at the man with a toothy smile. “I don’t like you, fake Ferryman.” 

Eironn simply nodded as he turned his milky eyes to the small woman beside him, “That is unfortunate,” the elderly man said. “But I can say, the feeling is mutual.” 

“Well,” Hecatolite shrugged before patting the man on the back with her tail, “At least we understand each other. We are going to go shopping while you guys talk, but we are taking All-Goose with us. He owes me a tour.” 

Much to Cemi’s surprise Eironn stopped anyone from interfering as Hecatoltie abducted Alagos and left with her entire group in tow. 

Once the group was gone Eironn sank back into his chair, his entire body seeming to deflate as the elderly man started to rub his neck. Cemi couldn’t help but notice he seemed… pale. Eironn was the oldest living elf but suddenly the spry old man looked every bit his age as he sat silently holding his neck in a trembling hand. 

“Erionn,” one of the other members started but was silenced as the man held up a hand.

“Cemi,” Eironn addressed her, “Do you understand exactly what you brought here today?” 

His question confused her, sure the twins were odd but they were just some eccentric nobles from a human nation… weren’t they?

“Of course not.” Eironn sighed, waving his hand to summon one of his helpers and requesting a drink. “I will say this now, then,” He turned his eyes to the man to his right, “Do not provoke them. That elven woman is far more capable than any of us and can tend to her own affairs.” He shifted his eyes past the man to the next woman in line, “The tensions with the northern human nations have nothing to do with how we should approach this offering from the south.” He shifted in his chair to look at a guard behind him, “Tell every guard in the city that as long as they abide by our laws that group is to be allowed passage wherever they wish unmolested.”

“Sir with all due respect…”

“What did you see?” Cemi blurted, cutting the man off. She knew Eironn’s magic, his power. He was a seer, someone blessed with precognition; the ability to see possible futures and clearly something he had seen had spooked the elderly man. Though he was holding onto his composure it was obvious he was shaken, something Hecatolite could have done just then scared Eironn so much he was risking the ire of the others to try and protect her… no, protect them from her.

He shook his head, “That is unimportant.” Again, the elderly man rubbed his neck as he took a deep breath. “Instead of looking at futures that could have been its best to focus on futures that will be. Now, Cemi, why don’t you pick up where the young Amethyst left off.”

60