Chapter 2: Sure, Why Not?
64 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Suicide, that was the first thought that came to my mind after seeing that morbid message. However, the cause of KawaiiKanojo's internal struggles remained unknown. After all, I knew nothing about this girl or if she was even a girl at all. 

Sure, suicide was a crucial issue, but there was an even more urgent matter at hand. 

How the hell, do I respond to this message?

Years of being a loner didn't give me much room to practice my conversation skills, and now I had to convince this "KawaiiKanojo" not to commit suicide. Honestly, what was the universe trying pull here? Out of all the Lyne accounts in Japan, why did KawaiiKanojo have to message me? I felt as if I was barely living my own life, so how could I be expected to convince someone to willingly living theirs.

Therefore, I was absolutely the worst person to come to for life advice. However, I still had a slimmer of hope that this wasn't actually happening. I blinked my eyes a couple of times, in hopes that the message blurb was only a figment of my imagination. However, to my dismay, the blue message blurb didn't disappear. Even though it was nothing more than a small blue text bubble, the decision to respond to it weighed heavily on my conscience.

Out of moral obligation, I was supposed to prevent this KawaiiKanojo was killing herself. I knew that I had to save her life. If the person on the other side of this phone died, then it'd be my fault. I couldn't live with that guilt for the rest of my life. My hands trembled, as the phone keyboard appeared. I felt frozen and displaced from time. However, I knew that time was still flowing because I could hear the subtle sounds of book pages turning in the library.

Even so, no matter how much I willed my fingers to move, they didn't. 

The term for my condition right now would be called social anxiety, but I couldn't help and think that it was such a broad term to define my predicament. After all, I wasn't talking to a group of people, so it wasn't considered "social." Also, it might have not even been a human on the other end of the conversation. In today's day and age, it would definitely be plausible for an advanced AI to be sending automated messages. Therefore, if I were to diagnose myself, I'd probably say that I just had regular anxiety. Nevertheless, even if I knew what my problem was, that didn't mean I could fix it. 

From the time stamp of the message sent, it had appeared that KawaiiKanojo sent me that message approximately 25 minutes ago. Even though the minutes kept adding up, I didn't know what to do. 

My heart told me to type a message. 

My mind did not. 

While my body stayed in a perpetual state of indecision, KawaiiKanojo could have already ended her life. Time was a finite number, given to every human born on earth, but what they chose to do with it, differed from person to person. Some people would want to use their time with the people they loved, others would use it chasing after a starry-eyed dream, and then there are those like KawaiiKanojo, who wanted to cut their time short. 

Humans are an unpredictable bunch, that defy common sense. They seldom follow the rules of logic, and any decisions they did make would have serious repercussions. For example, logically, humans would want to stay alive. The human body always works its hardest to ensure that fact. Humans already subconsciously breathe to ensure that their body has enough energy to function. They even feel emotional and physical pain to let them know what's dangerous and what to avoid.

That's why it ultimately doesn't make sense for anyone to want to undermine their body's efforts and take their own life. It completely defied all forms of logic, but that's what makes people human. 

Since I was under the impression that KawaiiKanojo might be a human, I had to assume that she had to be illogical as well. Therefore I had to be prepared for any scenario.

I could feel my phone sliding down the sweat on my palms. I gulped and then inched my thumb closer and closer to the keyboard. I had to say something to her, and if it did turn out to be a scam, at least I knew I still had a conscience.

 I finally built up the courage to start typing, after realizing that it could have been someone that might actually need my help. As I typed out each word, I became further and further absorbed into the action. Lost within the words I was writing; the world around me didn't even seem to exist. Right now, I only had one single task, and that was to save KawaiiKanojo's life. 

Then as if lightning had just struck, an abrupt vibration from my phone shook my entire body. I was being notified that one of my mobile games was having an in-game sale right now. It was information that I could've just disregarded, but the unexpected inconvenience caused my thumb to slip and hit the enter key.

My breathing stopped, and my eyes didn't blink. 

I then muttered, "No way...Did that just happen?"

I had sent my message to KawaiiKanojo half complete, and the worst part was that the message ended up on a pretty embarrassing note. 

KawaiiKanojo, You have so many reasons to keep on living. For example, "I want to be your boyfriend." 

That was not what I wanted to say, and in fact, I was now in a very awkward situation. So much for saving her life, I'll probably end up with a restraining order soon. I may not have been the best flirt in the world, but even I could tell that I came on too strong.

Originally I wanted to say,

"I want to be your boyfriend" is something you could hear if you kept living. I'm sure if you keep living, you'll eventually meet the one person that makes life worth living."

As a person living alone for the last four years, this was the best I could muster. In fact, I wasn't even sure if my message sounded stiff or awkward. I rarely communicated to people in real life, so it would make sense that I couldn't communicate with them over the phone either.

Even though I was in a tight spot, I realized that I could write another message to clear up the misunderstanding. However, to my dismay, her response came almost instantly.

Her response was only three words, but those three words were the only thing on my mind for the rest of the day. 

Sure, why not?

0