Chapter 13: The Tower in the Sea
338 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sim Chul-Soo stared at the Caucasian man before him. He looks young, yet his body was very well toned. His biceps weren't huge like a bodybuilder, but lean and tough.

There was not any facial hair on his face nor body hair.

If someone told him if that man trained all his life in the mountains ever since he was young, he will be inclined to believe it.

Sim Chul-Soo had seen many body-builders all his life ever since he worked in the Korean mafia, Hwangsaechi, starting two years ago. Although the young man did not have huge muscles, yet, he looked more dazzling than any bodybuilder he had met before.

He could tell that this man did not use steroids at all. He could spot it instantly if he did.

"Did you not hear me?" Lyden said.

"I'm sorry. You asked about what happened here?"

"Yes..."

Sim Chul-Soo sees the man crossing his arms impatiently.

"First, let me ask the name of someone as great as you." Sim Chul-Soo put on his business smile and tried to flatter him.

However, instead of hearing a friendly voice, he heard a clicking noise from the young man's mouth.

"Lyden…Now tell me." Lyden simply stretches his neck as he said that, but to Sim Chul-Soo, Lyden looks intimidating no matter what he did.

"My apology!" He said as he quickly bows his head. Seeing Sim Chul-Soo bowed, the other people did the same.

"My apology!" They all said in unison.

"When did I become a mafia boss?" Lyden mumbled.

"We are the members of Hwangsaechi! We serve our boss, Ougeo!" Sim Chul-Soo shouted while keeping his head bowed. "We are here to keep a lookout for any other hunters and if we do, we inform the boss!"

Even when Sim Chul-Soo was done saying all those things, he was still bowing.

"Alright, enough. Raised your head." Lyden told him.

Sim Chul-Soo and the rest of the men rose their head.

"For tough looking guys, I thought you will you guys would be up to something." Lyden read too novel that he expected one or more of them to fire their gun while he was distracted.

He was always listening to the other men to make sure.

"Dignity is what keeps a man living. Dignity is also what makes the man dead. Know when to keep it, and know when to cast it away." Sim Chul-Soo said.

"I see. I keep that in mind." Lyden was still young and have very little experience in how the world works. Especially living in a peaceful town for most of his life.

Hearing the thoughts of others allow him to grow a bit.

However, he could not admit his inexperience or else they would look down on him.

Lyden looked at the tower in the middle of the town. It was very similar to the one he entered before. It was tall with pillars around near the bottom. There was a gaping hole that was the entrance to the tower.

However, when the two hunters ran away and entered the tower, the barrier appeared and prevented anyone from entering or exiting the tower.

"Your boss, Ogre?"

"It is Ougeo, Mister Lyden" Sim Chul-Soo politely corrected him.

"Ougeo, is he inside the tower?" It was not possible to enter the tower now since the barrier had been erected. It would take another 12 hours before they can enter.

"Yes, he had occupied at along with the many members of Hwangsaechi."

"Does the Korean guilds know that a gang had occupied the tower?"

"Yes they do, but they cannot do anything about it."

"Why is that?" Lyden asked.

"It'll be easier if I show you."

Since Lyden had nothing else to do, he agreed to follow Sim Chul-Soo.

Sim Chul-Soo and Lyden walked off leaving the other men to their own device. Many heaved a sigh of relief when Lyden left.

The two walked silently as if they were strangers through the grassy plain. Sim Chul-Soo was nervous, but he was not completely terrified of Lyden.

After the brief conversation with Lyden, he knew that Lyden was not a man who killed relentlessly.

Although it was unfortunate that a member of the Hwangsaechi had died, even more, a hunter, but Sim Chul-Soo did not take it to heart.

"Here it is." After walking for miles, they stopped at the edge of a cliff where the sea thrash against it.

Sim Chul-Soo pointed in the direction where the sun was setting. From there, a tower sticked out of the sea.

With Lyden's eyes, he could see it.

'How tall does that tower have to be? Even the depth of the sea was not enough for it to completely submerge it.'

What's more, there was something large swimming in the water. His eyes peered through the water and saw shark-like monsters swimming about.

Not just one, but a dozen of them.

"That is..."

"Yes, a tower appeared one day, two and a half years ago, without anybody noticing it. By the time someone pointed it out, it was already too late. Monsters had already escaped the tower, and there was nothing we could do about it. Many of the people who lived on the island were stranded. In the end, food became scarce. It was then that the Hwangsaechi came to be to quell the people here." Sim Chul-Soo recalled a terrible past that he was barely keeping it together.

"Now I understand a bit more about what was going on here. I'm guessing that fishing became impossible then?"

"That is correct. Many ships were sunk by those monsters. And many more people have starved because of the lack of food. The mainland tried to send us food once, but it was all for naught. The sea monsters can shoot out powerful jet stream into the air…"

Lyden listened to his story carefully and felt a bit remorse.

"So why did you guys attack me first?" He wanted to know the reason they attack because, in the end, he did kill someone.

"On the opposite side of the island, there is a gang, The Huin Dong-Gali, and they have been trying to take over the tower for months. They would send their men to ambush our hunters when they come out of the tower. To prevent that, we will always have a group of men to warn if anything was happening."

Lyden saw the overall pictures of what was happening here.

'They thought I was part of the member of Huin Dong-Gali and tried to kill me. The three hunters had probably just exited the tower and were planning to reactive the tower's barrier, but they saw me and one of them attacked…'

He stared at the tower in the sea as he was deep in thought.

Suddenly, he felt something in his chest. It was the Random Monster Transmutation aretisite acting up.

2