Chapter 132
480 3 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The thuggish sellswords were as tall as Rayne. One of them was even taller than Rayne. All of them were bulkier than her. However, the few disparities between the men and Rayne proved to be a non-issue for the Zeva.

Rayne’s speed was not beyond what the sellswords’ eyes could follow but their bodies were a different question. They saw her fist coming but none of them could do anything to stop it. They couldn’t even avoid it.

The one that was targeted tried his best to dodge but Rayne’s fist chased after him. His face was one of terror and despair as Rayne’s fist sank into his face. There was a loud and crack sound of bones cracking and snapping.

The sellsword didn’t fly far from Rayne’s punch but he did flip a magnificent three-sixty degree and ultimately landed on his head, breaking his neck, though he was already dead from having his skull shattered by Rayne’s punch.

The sellsword’s companions widened their eyes. They blinked a few times to make sure they hadn’t been seeing things. To their despair, they weren’t imagining the terror they had just witnessed. They further did a double-take on Rayne. In their eyes, she was nothing more than a damsel with little meat to her limbs but given the fate of their companion, their perception had changed.

Still, the remaining sellswords did not turn tail and run. Their pride and ego would not allow them to do so. Instead, they drew their crude swords and charged at Rayne together.

“Slow,” Rayne scoffed and grinned.

Rayne’s confidence only served to fuel the sellswords’ indignation. They let a loud cry in tandem as they brought their swords down on Rayne.

“What sloppy forms,” Rayne sneered and easily dodged the swords.

Before the sellswords could retract their swords from their swings, Rayne stomped on their blades, instantly snapping them into half. The sellswords’ eyes widened further. Cold sweat began to run down their faces. Their shoulders started to tremble. Their legs were turning into jelly.

In spite of their immense fear towards Rayne, their unfounded optimism, coupled with the blow to their ego, they refused to retreat. They resorted to their fists.

Rayne couldn’t help but burst out a chuckle. She moved in on the sellswords, who no longer had their swords, and swiftly dispatched all three of them. The first one met his demise at Rayne’s foot, which drove right into his ribs. In turn, his shattered ribs pierced into his vital organs.

The remaining two sellswords were once again stunned by Rayne’s prowess and the quick death of their comrade. Their brain barely had time to register the rapidly devolving situation when Rayne moved on to them.

She was not quicker than the eyes could see but she moved in a way that gave the illusion that she was moving as fast as lightning and as fluid as water. The sellswords tried to strike her but they struck only the air.

“Easy,” Rayne bellowed as she twirled and swept the sellswords’ heads with her foot. “Too easy.”

The last two sellswords fell to the ground, dead, with their heads twisted in a way no human heads were supposed to.

“How disappointing,” Rayne mused as she stared at the bodies she created. “I expected nothing but I’m still disappointed.”

She stepped over the bodies of the dead sellswords and walked up to Henry, who had been watching the entire one-sided slaughter.

“I’m considerably weaker than I was but these humans don’t stand a chance against me even in my weakened state.” Rayne gave Alani a smirk. “Is this all I can expect from your kind?”

“Y-you killed them…”

“I did, obviously.”

“You killed them without… a single shred of hesitation…”

“They don’t appear to have any hesitation about their unsavoury intent. Why should I have any hesitation at all?”

“I have taken lives before but… I can never take them as easily as you could.”

“You’re soft, Alani. Our path ahead is a difficult one. Your heart will not keep you alive. Use your head. The weak perishes, and the strong thrives. They died at my hands because they’re weak.”

“These sellswords aren’t trained knights but they’re still seasoned fighters. Yet… you made quick work of them as if they’re just greenhorns.”

“These are seasoned fighters?” Rayne raised an eyebrow. “Is that supposed to be a joke?”

“It’s not a joke.”

Rayne sighed.

“Eyes up, you two,” Henry said. “The real fight is about to begin.”

Rayne beamed. “I’m all warmed up.”

Alani drew her twin short swords with a look of unease.

“Everything will be fine,” Henry assured. “Just stay close and keep your guard up.”

“We don’t have a map of this place and we do not know the layout. We don’t have sight of the threat. This is usually a cause for great concern for hunters. We are blind here.”

“Usually, Alani, but this is not usual.”

Alani took a deep breath, steadying her grip on her swords. “You’re right. This is not usual. I have you by my side.”

For extra assurance and some comfort, Henry planted a gentle kiss on his lover’s forehead.

Immediately, a groan leaked out from Rayne. “Have some shame,” she grumbled.

“Do you want a kiss on the forehead too?”

“No,” Rayne responded sharply.

Just then, a growl echoed into all of their ears and the air turned much fouler than before. Alani jumped from the sudden guttural cry of the approaching monster. Rayne was also taken aback but her honed senses prevented her from panicking. However, both of them grimaced with disgust at the heavy stench.

“It’s finally deciding to show itself,” Henry muttered. His expression was darker than the two girls as the stench was more severe to him due to his sharp senses.

A long, thin, and pallid arm appeared from a wall that was only a quarter of its former glory. The arm gripped the edges with its crooked fingers and pulled the rest of its body out of hiding.

The monster was humanoid but barely. Its body was crooked and it had a hunch on its back. It was scrawny but it did not give off the impression of being malnourished. It had a pair of deep, dark eyes and a pair of fangs that extended beyond what its lips could cover.

Alani shuddered at the sight of the monster and she nearly tripped but Henry was there to help her stay upright.

“Curse of the gods!” Rayne exclaimed. “What manner of creature is that? It’s utterly hideous! Even the beasts of Ulrum would be repulsed by this creature.”

The said creature approached the three with slow steps. There was caution in its movements. Its eyes were fixed on Henry as it drew near. It was clear as to what— or rather, who— the creature was wary of.

“A servant of Vishara?” Rayne muttered a guess.

“Obviously,” Henry replied. He walked towards the creature and it stopped in its tracks in response.

“Henry, be careful.”

Henry smiled reassuringly at Alani and continued walking towards the creature.

“What are you?” the creature spoke— in a tone that sounded more like a hiss.

Henry stopped his approach. “Have your mistress not told you who I am?”

“Watch your words!” the creature snarled. “Her Majesty is the queen, my queen.”

“And what are you to her?”

“I am but a lowly, yet faithful servant of her greatness. The queen had saved me from a terrible tragedy. Everything that I am now, I owe it all to her.”

Henry and Alani had awkward frowns but Rayne wore a different expression. She was chuckling without inhibition.

“Is there something funny?”

“Everything about you.”

Henry expected the creature to snarl at Rayne but contrary to his expectations, it didn’t.

The creature was no doubt offended by Rayne’s statement but it was not as impulsive as its appearance suggested. “Her Majesty was right. Your words are nothing but provocations, aimed to distort your enemy’s composure.”

Rayne tutted.

“And you…” The creature returned its gaze to Henry. “...Her Majesty had told me everything about you… except for what you truly are. Regardless, you are a blight to her ambitions.”

“What is it that you are here for, whatever your name is?”

“My name is Leoric and I am here to deliver one final message from Her Majesty.”

“Which is?”

“This is your last chance, turn back this instance. You will not deny Her Majesty’s ambition.”

“No,” Henry answered curtly.

“Then… Die!” The creature, whose name was Leoric, howled with all its might and leapt at Henry.

“Fuck me…” Henry uttered and raised his arm.

“Henry, watch out!” Alani cried out.

There was not a hint of panic on Henry’s expression. The claws from the creature came for his head but he easily caught the creature’s arm.

The creature didn’t look to the least bit surprised, as if it anticipated this course of action from Henry. It widened its mouth and took a lunge for a bite.

“No thanks.” Henry moved his head away and flung the creature away from him. He would have come out unscathed from the creature’s bite but he didn’t want any of its saliva on him.

“Why are you playing with it?” asked Rayne. “You could have easily killed that thing.”

“Not yet,” Henry said.

The creature quickly got back on its feet, snarling. “Is this mercy that you are showing? Are you pitying me?”

“Take it how you will.”

“Your clemency will be the death of you!” The creature roared and lunged at Henry but it fell straight to the ground before it could even get close to Henry. “What!? How!?”

Henry stood over the creature and stared deeply at it. “I don’t know what kind of vampire you are but you are definitely one. However, you don’t fear the sun. Curious.”

“Do not take us for just some simple vampires. We are the servants of Queen Vishara. We are different!”

“I don’t enjoy doing this but getting to know thy enemy is a sound strategy.” Henry flicked his finger and sent out an Aura Blade.

The spell cut right through the creature’s right arm, severing it from the shoulder. The creature clutched its wound and unleashed a deafening shriek.

Henry didn’t immediately follow up with another attack and merely watched the creature writhing in agony.

The creature regained its composure and charged at Henry, screaming with renewed fury.

Once again, Henry easily incapacitated the creature by using the Gravity magic. Henry peered at the creature’s gaping and throbbing wound. It showed no sign of regenerating.

“Strange,” Rayne mused. “The texts detailed the excellent regenerative abilities that vampires have but this abomination doesn’t seem to be capable of regeneration.”

The creature stared daggers at Henry while struggling violently but vainly.

“Evidently, this one’s a lesser vampire. It’s far weaker than you in your prime, Rayne.”

“What about now?”

“You’re welcome to try.”

“Tempting but no. I enjoy a good fight and a good hunt but this one is neither of those two.”

Henry snickered. “Alani,” he called out.

“Huh? Y-yes?”

“Do you have any silver items on you?”

“Um… I believe so. Give me a moment.” Alani fumbled around in all of her pockets. Being a monster hunter, it was a requirement for one to have plenty of pockets handy. After a while, she took out a small silver stake that was as long as a finger but far thinner than one.

“A… mini silver stake?” Henry muttered as he took the silver object into his hand.

“It’s used for detecting poison.”

“Ah, clever.”

“What do you want a silver object for?” Alani asked.

“You’ll see,” Henry said and crouched down before the creature, who was still struggling to break free but the spell was too strong for its will and strength.

“What’s the use of silver?” Rayne inquired.

Henry said nothing and simply touched the creature’s face with the small silver stake.

The creature cried out sharply in excruciating pain. Smoke could be seen sizzling from the point of contact between the silver and the creature’s skin.

Henry broke into a delighted smile. “Well, what do you know? It works.”

15