Chapter 59 – Interlude: The Dream of a Trapped Bird
1.5k 6 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Another chapter coming later...

Alice had a dream.

Inside her dream, the world was crying.

Thousand of lives died daily, and disasters hit on different parts of the earth.

A monster, wearing blue skin, manipulated the strings of the world, laughing to the destruction he caused.

A fiend made an expression of greed, wishing to devour all the life.

A young man, of Asiatic descent, wielded a sword to banish hundreds of monsters that attacked the humans.

A young woman, wearing a Buddhist kasaya, closed her eyes and used her mind to find the root of all evil; before commanding her brothers and sisters to vanquish it.

A little boy used his body to stop a crumbling building, protecting the people inside and receiving the praises of everybody.

A bolt of lightning protected the phoenix from foreigner invaders, and the phoenix gave him her heart, using her fires to consume everything that wants to do him harm.

A girl and her cat ran through the streets of a city, escaping from their pursuers and searching comfort in the company of each other.

The demon laughed while killing the heroes of men.

The greedy man tried to manipulate the hero to do his bidding.

And destruction befell to the world.

When the dream finally finished, only the cries of the world could be heard.

 

 

When Alice opened her eyes, a white room appeared in her sight,

Her sickly body was lying down in a clean bed with many intravenous needles to help her body to continue living. She had long blond hair, but it had lost its luster due to all the suffering she had lived through the years.

At that moment, two men entered the room.

The first one was a typical doctor, wearing a white coat and round glasses. He walked towards the devices showing Alice’s state and began to write some things in his book. When he finished, he signaled the man behind him to enter.

Different from the first man, the second one was wearing a black suit while putting a grave expression on his face. With a nod of understanding towards the doctor, he came before Alice and opened his mouth.

“How did it go, 1040? Were you successful?”

Alice frowned when she heard how the man called her.

“I’m not a number, Mr. Supervisor. My name is Alice.”

“We don’t have time for it, 1040. Tell me what you saw.” The man said with a grave expression.

Alice shook her head while wearing a smirking expression. Her green eyes seemed to rejoice in the man's misfortune “Unfortunately, I didn’t. For some reason, I cannot see the fates of the people that acquired superpowers or the invaders in Lars Island.”

When the man heard it, he fixed his gaze on Alice and deepened the tone of his voice.

“Are you sure, 1040? I think that you simply don’t want to tell us what you saw in your visions.”

Alice smirked. “And why would I do something like that? At least when I speak, I can get a better treatment for a while. But if I lie, you will make me suffer more.”

The man simply looked deeply to her for a few seconds; then,  he turned around and walked out of the room followed by the doctor. “I hope so, 1040. You will not earn anything from lying to us.”

Alice simply smirked before coughing weakly.

For a while, the room stayed silent.

Then, after a few minutes, when she was sure that nobody was close, she spoke very softly.

“Finally, I can see the sun again.”

Her green eyes twinkled of anticipation.

Then, she closed her eyes with a smile on her face.

 

 

The man and the doctor walked through the installations where Alice was held captive, after exiting the room.

For a few seconds, neither of them said anything; instead, they wore thoughtful expressions and considered Alice’s words.

But then, the man who was called Mr. Supervisor by Alice, finally broke the silence.

“Keep an eye on her. I have the feeling that something is wrong.”

“Don’t worry.” Said the doctor with an expressionless face. “If she knows something, I’m sure that a few sessions of ‘instruction’ will be enough to get her to speak.”

“I hope so.” Said the supervisor with a brief nod. “1040’s predictions will be very useful in the current situation.”

Support me on patreon.com/dimensionalparadise

Special thanks to: Trent Stone

20