Chapter 1: Clandestine Beauty
581 7 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I shuddered as my body submerged into the chilly lake. The deep blue, crystalline waters clearly reflecting my body, revealing the image of a youth in his teenage years with snowy white hair and calm amber eyes. 

"...Is that me?" I said, caressing my face slowly. I let my gaze travel freely as I took in the lush scenery, which hadn't existed up until a few moments ago.

Trees swayed gently; their leafs a deep shade of green. Occasionally, gusts of wind would sweep up the ash defiling the grassy floor and flung it onto the vegetation. 

But, I had to admit, even that was an enchanting act displayed by Mother Nature. The way she paid so much attention to detail was far more intricate than my mind could possibly emulate.

I let out a little breath, then splashed the freezing water on my face. "...I transmigrated."

There was no other explanation. Now that I'd calmed, I could clearly see it. Everything about this felt too 'grounded' to be a dream. First and foremost, would a human mind be able to process all the little details that made up a forest, from its sprouting birth to its adulthood?

Every tree was unique in its arboreal structure, each blade of grass differed from the next. All the flowers I had seen on my short walk to this lake held their own clandestine beauty.

The only question that's left to answer is: where the hell am I?

"...That should be obvious, no?" I asked myself, watching ash flakes float on the water, remembering the aged man. His words. "Elshire forest..."

Or at least a copy, birthed where the original had once been.

I dove deeper into the water to calm my, stirring giddy thoughts, emerging on the other side. The feel of the wind bristling gently against my skin was a final affirmation that I wasn't dreaming. 

'What now?' I shook my wet head of hair, before staring at my hand. Inhaling deeply, I tried to summon the black lightning again. Warmth spread from my sternum to my arms, concentrating at the tips of my fingers. An esoteric feeling tingled through my body, filling me with a burst of invigorating energy.

Wisps of mana curled around my palm, coalescing seamlessly to create yellow lighting, then it was a navy blue, before buzzing vibrantly as thin, jet-black bolts of energy. 

I willed more mana into the small electrical arcs, curious at the blissful sensation. This proved to be a mistake because the next moment a giant surge of energy tore through the forest from my palm.

The black bolt of miasma killed anything it touched, turning the vegetation into dead brownish-green foliage. I winced, flinging around my arm to try and stop the destruction. It took a long time—a time I spent running around desperately, eventually tiring and collapsing on the ground—before my storming mana dissipated.

Nearby, a tree groaned audibly as it fell to the ground. My eyes took in the new scenery. It was somehow even more depressing than the ash desert. The brown, dead vegetation seemed to be robbed of all vitality, spreading a gloomy aura around the area.

I clenched my fist quietly, standing to my feet. '...I have to be more careful.'

After observing my surroundings—and the death I wrought, I found my bearings and slowly made my way back to the lake. There, I found the cloth I'd been dressed in upon my arrival; a plain white gown with a smooth texture. 

I looked around, the fermented scent of the damp, brown foliage tickling my nose. I destroyed Tessia's home. Me. This couldn't be repeated. But I wouldn't restore the forest, for it would serve as a reminder; glaring proof that I was too ignorant on what is actually going on.

I need a guide. Someone to teach me how to use mana precisely and accurately. 

That way, I could turn whatever this reality was, into a dream. 

But how?

I patted the ash off my gown. Then, tentatively, I muttered: "...Seris?"

Nothing. I supposed she wasn't around. Or is too apprehensive to answer my call. Thinking on it, is this right after the destruction of Elshire... or a little after the devastating event? 

I sighed, walking forward—without direction or destination. I just insta-killed a god! I didn't need a guide!

...

..

.

Hours. I'd been hiking through thickets, swamps, and dense trees for hours on end. Daylight had already broken, blazing down with afternoon heat, draining me mentally.

I plopped down onto a crudely constructed grass cushion under a tree in thought. The forest was quiet. Eerily so, driving me insane. It didn't hold the same relaxing atmosphere as a forest with chirping birds and insects. Maybe this wasn't the sort of thing I was meant to be doing. What I would give for a few minutes on my smart devices, snuggling in my bed...

...I cringed, recalling what I'd done to my cellphone in a fit of rage... What caused the rage. 

"Well," I said, closing my eyes, though I didn't feel physically exhausted. "I don't know how to return... neither do I really want to... At least not before seeing Tess."

Or the thing possessing her body by now, probably. Hopefully not.

A few more hours ticked by, before I got off my butt, restarting my arduous journey. My legs carried me automatically, as my mind lurched with thoughts such as:

Why wasn't I killed by the asuran deities yet?

How did I get here?

How did I die?

Why didn't I meet God and get some wishes?

Am I a god now by default?

What more could I do with mana? 

None of the questions were exactly harrowing, or warranted too much needless thought—except the first and last ones—but they did keep me entertained. 

It took an awfully long time before my brain registered the fact that I didn't need water or nourishment. Although, I couldn't say the subconscious taste of hunger didn't feel acrid on my tongue. But I couldn't do much about that, so far, fruit-bearing plants had been scarce. Not that I'd found any. Perhaps they didn't even exist, at all.

Soon night fell, and I was left bored, irrational fear of the dark clawing at my chest every time a faint rustled would reach my ears.

Opening my palm, I sparked a flame into existence with mana. The concept behind the process completely eluding me. I simply imagined a tiny fire in my hand and it appeared. Was I also quad-elemental? 

An idea suddenly dawned on me as I watched the bright, yellow flames. I stood, an earthen pillar elevating me into the cloudless sky. Once the pillar towered tens of meters above the highest tree in the forest, I conjured balls of fire; shooting them into the air.

They lit up the night sky in bright explosions. Surely, someone—something—would notice this commotion and come to me.

Survivors perhaps. Alacryan slavers, all the more welcome.

I nodded, satisfied, burrowing into the earth pillar—well, the earth moved to accommodate my intent. Soon, I was deep into the pillar, dirt clinging to from all sides. All inches of my skin. I realized, I didn't need to breathe.

I poured more mana into the pillar, strengthening it, while also 'feeling' for 'mana exhaustion.' It never came.

Neither did the visitors, I picked up, wriggling out the side of the pillar hours later. 

Spitting out a mouthful of sand, I carefully moved myself back to the ground, the dirt pulling me down as though it was quicksand.

I surveyed my still surroundings, sighing.  That was a little stupid, I had to admit. But looking at the scenery I honestly wanted to do it again. I wanted to see what this fantasy world truly had to offer! Especially the beautiful elves! 

I sighed again, this time at my thoughts, then strode along dryly.

2