9- Rocky encounter
57 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Huo Ye rose with the sun. He looked around and sighed deeply. A part of him was hoping that everything had been a dream. What had seemed to be fun was rather a lot of hard work. He’d rather not have to do anything if he could help it.

He jumped out of bed, rubbing his hands over his aching muscles, and approached the bowl on the table using the water in it to wash his face. Rubbing his finger over his teeth, he sorely missed his toothbrush.

Seems like I’ve got a lot more to focus on other than improving the food.

He moved to touch the spot on the bed where Ling Su had lain. It had gone cold. Not wanting to lose to in productivity to a little girl, Huo Ye strode outside to empty his bladder, then to his cart and loaded his gains from the previous day. He pulled the cart behind him all the way into town.

By the time he arrived, the village was already awake and bustling with activity. He immediately headed for the blacksmith, not stopping to socialise. It was still early and yet the furnaces of the blacksmith had long been fired up.

“Hello.” Huo Ye’s voice carried into the shop but he received no response. “Hello… Is there anyone in?”

He stood and waited for a few minutes, then turned to leave.

A gruff voice from behind nearly scared him out of his skin. “If you’re looking to cause trouble, I’m much too busy to babysit you now.”

The hulking bear of a man with a tool belt wrapped around his waist was leaning over Huo Ye. He shivered and backed up instinctively.

“I’m here to do business. Could you make me an axe head?” Huo Ye wasted no time spilling out his objective.

He barely remembered to brace himself for the deluge of memories. The blacksmith whose arms were as wide as Ling Ye’s head was Peng Gao. He quite an amicable man, his bulk usually for show. That’s not to say he wouldn’t toss you like a shot-put if you were to annoy him. Ling Ye would normally avoid him out of self-preservation. No need to poke the sleeping bear.

Huo Ye observed the middle-aged man all geared up in leather. He had to make a good impression if he wanted Peng Gao’s help.

“No can do. If you need an axe get one from Ren Shi.”

Huo Ye had expected this resistance. Peng Gao and Ren Shi were obviously partners, with Ren Shi complementing Peng Gao’s work. The deal between them prevented Peng Gao from accepting commissions for certain items, though he would do repairs.

“I did get one, but it wasn’t good enough.”

Peng Gao coughed, visibly upset. “All of Ren Shi’s axes come from me. If you’re not satisfied, there’s nothing I can do about it.”

“What if I give you better material?”

Peng Gao arched a bushy eyebrow. “Show me what you got.”

Huo Ye stepped up to his cart and grabbed one of the melon sized rocks and heaved it inside. Peng Gao grabbed the rock from him with one hand and brought it over to his worktable with ease. Huo Ye pouted slightly.

I’m not weak. It’s just this spindly body.

Peng Gao examined the rock and looked up with a frown. “This rock has absorbed spiritual energy, but seems to have been cleansed of it. Where did you find this?”

Huo Ye averted his eyes and simply said, “I know a guy.”

Peng Gao decided not to press any further as Ling Ye seemed uncomfortable. “I could make an axe head for you out of this, but I don’t have the right tools to grind it down.”

“Don’t worry about that.”

Huo Ye retreated to his cart and came back holding the fist sized rocks he had gathered the day before.

“You can use this to crush the rock.”

Huo Ye had selected the second most durable rock to use while he thought to use the most durable rock as his tool to wear it down.

“That’s fine and all, but this would take time. I have many orders to meet. I can’t do this if it means losing out on profit.”

“That’s fine, but take a look at that.” Huo Ye pointed outside to the other melon sized rock sitting on his cart.

“You can have that if you can finish my order by the end of the day.”

Peng Gao followed the finger which guided him to a treasure. He appeared calm on the outside but was secretly jubilating. He had planned to do the job and keep whatever scraps were left as his reward, but this was far better.

“Alright, but you’d have to pay twice my fee in addition to that.”

Huo Ye looked down embarrassed. “I don’t have any money. How about I give you another rock just like it?”

“Make it two.”

Huo Ye pouted slightly. Trying to scam me, eh? We’ll see who comes up on top.

“This rock is worth far more than your charges.”

“It’s a rush job so I need to be compensated. I’d have to put aside all my orders. I can’t disappoint my customers for nothing now, can I?”

 I’m your customer as well.

“Fine. I’ll be back by the end of the day.”

Huo Ye left his rocks and cart behind and took about two steps before turning back. “Can I borrow a shovel?”

Peng Gao didn’t even look up as he was focused on the rock before him. “Be my guest.” Huo Ye selected a new shovel which looked sturdy, said goodbye and made a beeline for his next destination. His target, Shaluyu.

2