Chapter 128: Killing Moon
113 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hello, it's me, Madeleine. I am currently a bit peeved. There are too many assassins going after me right now, and Mel is still out cold due to that sand guy. Fortunately, none of the assassins seemed to be Sacred Power holders, making dealing with them a breeze. Eternal Ice here, Earth Wall there, and the occasional headbutt. Hehe… I said butt. It is incredibly annoying, though, which is why I'm a bit peeved. 

On the bright side, I won't be running into assassins right now. I've set up camp in a random flat plain I found. I left Mel in the tent, and I'm keeping watch next to the campfire. This really makes me feel like an adventurer. The warm campfire illuminating the nearby surroundings, the beautiful blood-red moon that slowly moves through the night, and the ominous, cloaked silhouette that I can see slowly walking towards me. I wonder if they're a wandering merchant… I could really go for a cup of tea right now.

They're approaching, and I can see a massive scythe floating behind her. Kind of reminds me of someone… the cloak, the scythe, the ominous feeling… Croen? Miranda? The Grim Reaper? Probably none of those, looking at the face. It's not a skeleton, although the face reminds me of the Creator… hmm…

While contemplating, she threw an amulet at me, which I caught with my hand. As soon as my hand made contact with it, a familiar screen appeared.

Anti-Gravity

You can ignore gravity.

Side Note: No tears up.

Ooh, a Sacred Power item… Sacred Item? Eh, whatever. "Thank you, kind stranger!"

"That was payment."

"Huh? Payment for what?"

She branded the scythe. "Payment for this battle." She suddenly dashed forward, intending to slash at me with the scythe. I tapped the ground, propelling myself upwards with my Earth magic.

"Are you an assassin? There's been an awful amount of them coming at me."

"Red Tomorrow, Red Today." With another slash of her scythe, she created a red arc, which flew towards me. I'm in the air, so I can't dodge, and I can't do foot taps… I throw a dagger at it!

The dagger was easily deflected. Guess I'll tank the hit. I blocked my head with my arms, which took the brunt of the attack, which hurt like a bitch. Even worse is that I couldn't soften my landing on the ground. Goddamn, pain sucks… I tap the floor, creating magic ice that grows from the ground and onto me, both healing my injuries and acting as armour. My campsite is quite far… that sure sent me flying. I got up to see she was just standing next to the campfire… I can't hear what she's sa- OH SHIT, SHE'S RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME RIGHT NOW!!! I immediately go for a headbutt, which she did not see coming, knocking her back and damaging the both of us. Since she's disoriented, time for a foot stomp to create a wave of fire. Maybe her cloak will catch on fire.

She pointed her hands at the fire. "BACK TO BACK!" A beam of water shot out, putting out my fire wave. Unfortunately for her, I used the fact she was focused on the fire to circle around her, and now I'm behind! Sneak atta- and she turned back.

"Umm… did you hear me?"

"I Don't Want To Slow Dance In The Dark." At that moment, a veil of darkness covered her, making her blend into the night's shadow. I'm guessing she's either in the shadows or cloaked in darkness… if only I knew light magic… I forget if I know light magic. Welp, plan B. I stomp on the ground, making dozens upon dozens of shadow clones appear, covering the entire plain with them. Unfortunately, it's the non-sentient ones, but this will do. I just want to cover anywhere she could be or whatever approach she'll attempt. Unless she becomes a giant monster, but that… I feel like that's going to happen.

"You're In A Strange Part Of Our Town. Ultra Death." Is that a giant lizard? It's a giant lizard, and it's whacking away shadow clones with an equally giant scythe. How am I supposed to deal with this? Hmm… oh yeah, the Ring of Lurking Darkness! I point my hand with the ring at the remaining shadow clones, twisting and turning their bodies, merging them all together to create a giant Madeleine! I dub it Shadow Giant Madeleine! The lizard and Madeleine's Giant Shadow start fighting, which gives me the opportunity to… uh… I don't really know. I know combat like the back of my palm, but that's against human-sized beings. Eh, I'll figure it out. I'm a combat genius.

The Giant Shadow Madeleine just got knocked out. Oh no… the lizard starts shrinking, with some scales disappearing, before eventually, it turns into the cloaked girl. Oh, so that's where she went. Huh.

"Save Up All The Days." And she suddenly teleported to in front of me, her scythe raised above her head, about to be swung. Well… guess I'll die. She looked determined to swing, with her face having a smug smile on it… oh, I just remembered! It's the Creator's kid… who I guess is my half-sister… huh. She then yawned, dropping her scythe before dropping to the ground, snoring. In her back, I see an arrow. Looking forward, I see Mel holding her bow, looking like she just fired an arrow. 

"A sleeping arrow. I've always wanted to see if it worked."

"Huh… good morning."

"It's the middle of the night."

"And you just woke up."

"You know what, I'll let you have that." She put her bow down. "You want to head to bed?"

"Hmm…"

"Actually," She walked over and lifted me up. "We're going to bed."


Item profile: Amulet of Floating

Sacred power: Anti-Gravity

Gem Colour: Golden

Description: It's an amulet that lets you float. That's really it, although, for some reason, fate-related abilities seem to be unable to affect it or its wearer. Peculiar.

Chapter namesake: Killing Moon by Hideki Okugawa for Street Fighter III: Third Strike

I've been in an action mood recently, which is why there have been more fight scenes than they're usually are. Ah, by the way, I've just remembered I didn't reveal the references in Mira's first appearance, Chapter 64, so I guess I'll just reveal them in this chapter.

"Endless Darkness, Endless Night." are lyrics from the Man On The Internet's lyrical cover of 02's theme.
"Ultra Death." is a reference to the Ultra Death horseman from the Binding of Isaac: Repentance, and is the sole reference that isn't a musical one.
"You Don't Want To Be Alone." are lyrics from 'What You Know' by Two Door Cinema.
"Crosses To Burn, Axes To Fall." are lyrics from 'Viking Death March' by Billy Talent.
"With A Cane To The Sky Like 'None Shall Pass'." are lyrics from 'None Shall Pass' by Aesop Rock.
"SPIKE SPIKE SPIKE!" are lyrics from 'Spikes' by Death Grips.
"If I Could Save Time In A Bottle." are lyrics from 'Time In A Bottle' by Jim Croce.

As for the references in this chapter... I'll have y'all guess and wait for 64 chapters again.

6