The price of success
220 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Planes in this time period are... annoying. I have started to understand why mom hates the 'traveling' part or a trip so much. Uncomfortable seats in an area with a lot of people, loud people, is pretty much any magus worst nightmare, add to that the smoking inside an airplane which is still legal here in Europe and you get what can only be described as a terrible experience.

Around four hours later we arrived at Greece, ready to do what I need to do and get out of here as fast as possible. Not that I don't like Greece, but I want to get back to my experiments, it is very annoying not being able to get the homunculi to... well, to exist properly I guess. I know I won0t be enjoying this trip as a vacation so I might as well take it as short as possible.

.

[ A week later ]

Getting to my dad's office, I find him writing on some papers.

"So you no longer knock huh?" he asks without taking his eyes away from the reports he is writing.

"Well I figured it would be more annoying for you to hear a knock than to see my face." I replied with a cheeky smile while trying to see how he reacts.

"Well I didn't know I raised a comedian." he said while looking at me for a moment, before bringing his eyes back to the papers. "I received that answer you were waiting for, it's that pile of papers." he continued saying while pointing at a folder on his desk.

Well his reaction was a bit boring, but mostly what I expected so it's fine. Grabbing the folder I decide to review it once I return to my lab.

"I didn't hear the results of your homunculi experiments, did something go wrong?" he asks, this time focusing on me and putting his papers aside.

"Kind of, the body creation went well but something in it's mind was not right, I am not sure how to explain it yet eve though I have given it a lot of thought, but I guess her mind broke? Though I am not even sure why." I explain while taking a seat. "I asked it a simple question and it's like her entire conditioning process crushed down."

"I see... well homunculi arts are not my area of expertise, especially the mind, but maybe you should test how different new homunculi react to different information uploads and evaluate from there? If you don't find your answer with that then I guess I could help you analyse their brains, though you should have enough experience to do that already right?" he asks me.

For a while we continue discussing different theories about what could have been wrong until he came up with a proposal, the type of proposal that could truly help me advance this further.

"While homunculi and human minds should be fundamentally different, you might want to take a look at how human brains react to certain things and compare them to the way homunculi brains react to the same things. It might take some time but it could point you in the right direction." he says while explaining a bit further how to evaluate the brain of a person without them dying from the sheer trauma of having their skull cracked open while still conscious.

Yes... the type of experiment I always try to avoid, yet the type of experiment I always end up using. I guess there truly is such a thing as a price for success.

Once the conversation was over, I made my way back to my lab, putting the thoughts of the experiment aside and instead preparing myself to review the answer sent by Lord Valueleta regarding my papers. After a relatively short walk I arrived to my lab and started reading the comments on each page, to be honest there were more detailed than I expected.

It was interest seeing the opinion of someone who clearly disagreed with me from a subjective point of view do his best to actually treat my entire paper in an objective manner. In the end his notes could be summarised as 'I disagree but it isn't something not worth investigating further into', giving me the green light to pass his course and move on to the one I have been waiting for.

Now that I would be taking Kayneth's class, I could feel the war getting closer and closer. Getting up from my chair I called up Giorno.

"I need to make another vessel, similar to the one we made before using the Irish soil, though for this one we will use the Greek soil." I say, indicating him to take all the materials out.

"Understood young master." he said and got too work.

The war itself is among the things I remember best, maybe not the entirety of the fights themselves or all the side characters, but I know which servants are summoned and who their masters are, which also means I can do certain... changes to my benefit, among them there is the 'who will participate in the war itself', which will most certainly not be the same this time around, sure it will be similar, but not the same.

"It is done young master." said Giorno once the materials were all set.

Getting ready to make this new vessel, I couldn't help but let excitement slip into my expression, making me look kind of like a kid on Christmas.

This war will be mine, f*ck everyone else, I will take all that I desire and claim it as my own.

2