Chapter 55: Report
2.2k 11 67
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Several days had passed after I acquired [Pattern Analysis] and there was only two days left before our examination.

I was worried about my selection of this skill but   I realized that it was the most appropriate skill for me at the moment.

The other two skills weren't really helpful even considering the downgrade of rank due to incompatibility in nature. 

Most likely because of it's abilities.

===

[Mind Palace]

Nature: Light

Grade: D

Description: An active mental skill used to store bits of information into a mental structure inside the user's mind. Space of storage is directly affected by intelligence stats and mana pool.

[Eiditic Memory]

Nature: Dark

Grade: D

Description: A passive mental skill that enhances the user's memory function at a cost of reducing one's magic nature to compensate on it's operation.

===

I considered [Mind Palace] as my first choice but after realizing that my personal distribution stats only had sense, agility and precision, it wouldn't be wise for me in the long run and in the current short term.

Next was [Eiditic Memory], it's a really good skill if one had the average mana nature of two but Ray was abnormal having only one. I couldn't possibly discard my only mana nature.

So it was a no brainer that my current skill was the best choice. Now all I had to do was concentrate and practice on using it.

Fortunately the professors had already finished their respective lectures a week before and had proceeded to conducting multiple mock test and reviews.

This gave students a flexible time table to work with because some classes only gave out worksheets and test materials.

As for reviews, it had become more of an optional class if one deems that they don't need to go to it.

This was a luxury that only the top caste have but there were also the desperate ones that did the same even though their grades were really down in the gutter.

Some really confident ones also dropped their study to focus on combat training but from what I observed, it was only Brian, Amana, Sophia, Emily and Lily that did that.

I had also observed that Irah had become more comfortable visiting our classroom to invite the main cast to the library. 

Sometimes Emily would excuse herself to train probably because of Irah's presence. It was already enough that there were two tutors for Jun and Alice.

Those two would sometimes complain to me when three of their tutors were together, their eyes always looked scarred at the time.

I also noticed that Lily doesn't leave their group study when Irah is present. I assume that their rivalry is cemented at this point.

As for me, I was still intent on attending all review classes and exams.

I was currently attending a mock test for Magic Circle Studies.

There were about half of the class still attending.

It was an exam focused on comprehending the numerous possible effects and results from circle combinations.

It was kinda tricky because it also included the students to connect lines and symbols to arrive at the intended answer.

Though it wasn't that hard for me after I realized a litlle how my passive skill worked.

I looked at my paper while dimly glowing lines appeared before my eyes. I had to think deeply first before this imagery appears.

'...So if this is an alpha line, then by redirecting it's circuit towards a void symbol, it would result to the curve direction of the spell plasma bolt...'

I thought while I analyzed the magic circle in my papers. It was a problem that connected all 20 items in one so I was surely in the clear now.

Graphing and drawing the proper lines, I finished the final item in my test paper. Bringing down my pen, I walked toward Vivian who was quite surprised by my speed and progress.

Vivian then looked at my papers for testing, checking it all in real time.

When she does this, her eyes moves so fast as she moves up and down the pages of the paper.

Most professors would use their vrace to scan our paper but only Vivian does this sort of thing.

"...Well done. You only made five basic mistake in the start"

'..Five basic mistake?...Oh she must mean the general knowledge section'

My skill was very helpful but unfortunately, it doesn't help me memorize information nor does it help me comprehend everything.

"To think you were failing this class the most but now it seems that your hard work has paid off"

"..Yeah.."

Vivian said with a slight smile. I nodded my head in response.

Vivian paused as she stored my paper in her desk. She then gestured me to meet outside for a second.

I then went outside as Vivian also followed shortly. Looking around, Vivian started to whisper to me.

"Have you finished the report?"

"Oh...I'm almost done with it, I just need a little more time"

I answered modestly because I really wasn't done with it. I've been working on the report every night and today would probably be the last day of editing.

It took a while because I wanted to make sure it didn't seem suspicious while making it believable and aligned with my own level of understanding.

I just hope it wouldn't get me in trouble.

"I see. Just leave it by our laboratory and...."

She became quiet all of a sudden while seemingly thinking about something.

She the looked at me while pursing her lips.

"Irisville, can you come with me for a minute. This concerns the artifact and it would surely help your report if you see the item shards"

"Well sure.."

I quickly agreed because I missed such a crucial part of my writing process although most of what I wrote was based on what I knew from the novel.

And with the aide of my passive skill, I understood the gist of how the item worked.

I was already satisfied with my work but it would be weird if I didn't even examine the item even once.

"Let's go"

I then followed Vivian, ignoring the various stares of male students my way.

-----

"Come in"

Vivian then invited me inside as she wore a lab coat instantly. I didn't even notice when she had wore the coat.

Going inside, my eyed wandered around as I noticed the various equipment in the room. 

There were test tubes, microscopes, centrifuges, and other scientific apparatuses.

However what caught my attention was the cult like papers and symbols in the room. There was even a cauldron on the center.

I figured this lab was a mix between magical discipline and scietific fields.

"Hoh you finally came~"

"Professor Ulden?"

"Surprising isn't it? I'm not one to work in this setting"

Sure enough, I was a little surprised to see him here but if I consider what I know about his intellect then I should have expected this.

Looking around some more, Ulden wasn't the only one who noticed my presence.

"Professor, did you really need to bring hin here?"

"It isn't just about that, every single one of you needs to see the shards at least once for your report to be substantial"

"Well he seems to lack the initiative doesn't he? Even Shivan Teller came here for reference"

"Foxx, that is enough"

Sophia then crossed her arms between her chest as her tails swayed in response to her irritation towards me.

She was as prickly as ever and when she mentioned Shivan, it seems like I really was the last one to visit the lab.

I looked at Sophia who was wearing the same lab coat as Vivian and it clicked to me that this was where she was going to after the first week of lectures had ended.

'They did say she would directly help in the experiments and knowing her grades, there wasn't much stopping her from hanging around here'

Speaking of which, another individual was in this room who was giving off a depressing air around her.

Amana Reandelle was sitting in front a small glass case shine through by a hanging light.

'..Even she's here? and that must be the orb that I broke. It's seriously in pieces..'

This was the first time I saw it after the incident and at that time, I really didn't have the thought of looking at it.

"Here, take a look"

Vivian then urged me to come close to the shards and as she waved her hands, the glass encasing receded into the table.

I then took a long hard look to what I destroyed and as I was thinking that I didn't really need to see this, my passive skill showed me the usual guiding lights.

I really wasn't expecting it to appear here but it seems like it was right to come along with Vivian for this.

Moving a little closer to the shards, I studied the detailed patterns forming inside my head. 

Every magical item has an encrypted magic circle formed inside of it and if it isn't a magic circle, then it would be runes.

I learned this from Vivian's classes once.

My skill helps me detect those circles even when it's shambled to pieces like this but I wouldn't be able to to this if I didn't have prior understanding of this item.

It's basic description from the novel essentially allows me to predict and guess the magic they used as engravings on this.

I had already come into the conclusion that they used the antithesis of space magic, void magic into this item but looking once more, they also used spirit magic into the mix.

Thinking about it more, Vivian and Ulden must have already thought of that a long time ago. Learning about the other engraving here would speed things up for them.

'..Time magic engravings..and other than that, I can't see further beyond spirit arts. Well the princess can deduce that on her own..'

I mused while feeling satisfied with what I found, this would require extra effort on me but at least it wouldn't make my report useless.

Although I have to be discrete about disclosing some of what I know.

"Are you done? I have more work to do"

Amana suddenly quipped at me while looking really exhausted.

"Yeah...I'm done"

Leaving her alone peacefully, I went towards Vivian.

"Professor, It was really helpful. Thank you"

"I'm glad it did. I didn't want your efforts to be fruitless after working on it"

"I see"

"Forgive her, It's been really rough for her trying to spiritually study the shards"

Vivian said as she looked at Amana.

There were little green orbs of lights floating around the shards as she closed her eyes in concentration.

"Why is that Professor?"

"Well, it's probably because her spirit arts isn't high enough to study it in this form"

'Her spirit arts can't scan that thing? then they won't be able to finish this. Well this is bad....wait!'

I quickly stroded towards the princess as I called out to her.

"Hey got a minute?"

The light orbs dissapeared as her eyes held rage within it.

"Are you stupid? Didn't you see I was concentrating" she stood up with a glare but I just dismissed it as I continued.

"It's about your problem. Professor Vivian just told me about it. I can help"

I pointed back to Vivian who was also appalled towards my action. She was shaking her head.

"Don't bother. I can do this on my own"

"This isn't only about you. The academy is counting on us for this"

"...."

'The story is hanging on our success princess' I retorted.

She looked down for a minute then she reluctantly nodded her head in agreement.

I was really surprised by this. I was at least expecting a full blown arguement coming my way but she relented quite easily.

"Hey how are you going to help?"

Her voice got me back on track as I asked her to come outside for a bit.

We then left the room and I quickly told her my plan. I doubt it wasn't even a plan, I just needed to remind her a bit.

I pointed towards her pointy ears covered by her silky green hair.

"Why don't you use it, the earings that I sold to you"

"Ah.."

A look of realization was plastered on her face but for some reason, she quickly hid her earings with her hands.

But it couldn't hide the red hue on her pointy ears.

67