Chapter 78: Demise of Eamon Guerrin
364 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

At the border between Arkland and Redcliffe.

“I-It’s Arkland!!!!”

“Run!! RUUUUN!!!”

“GET OUT OF THE WAY, SMALL FRY!!”

The Arkland cavalry, barges into the Eamon Guerrin Army’s formation. The sudden assault of this much smaller party plunges the relaxed men into chaos.

“We have one head to take! Eamon Guerrin ! You can smash the rest however you want!” The captain of Arkland knights shouts.

“YES SIR!!”

The number of Eamon Guerrin's soldiers exceed two thousand men while the suddenly appearing Arkland knights are less than three hundred men. 

In simple words, to totally eliminate Eamon Guerrin's force, each Arkland knight must defeat at least seven Guerrin's soldier. 

The advantage Arkland has over Guerrin's is Arkland knights are fully trained fighter while most of Guerrin's soldiers are peasants who are just conscripted into temporary soldiers.

The conscripted peasants now haphazardly fighting against the  knights.

Irijina Wolls tears through the battlefield, easily swatting away any stragglers. Whether it comes from her judgment as a fighter or animal instinct, it is not known, but she proceeds straight towards Eamon Guerrin.

“Gh..! How can they be so fast!? Did Arkland anticipate our actions!?”

Eamon growls, surprised by the unexpected speed of the Arkland forces’ advance.

He knows that when Arkland has to concentrate nearly its entire soldiers at Fort Lassic would have given an advantage to Redcliffe; because of that, he plans to invade Arkland in one swift assault, then use the momentum to turn the army around and isolate Fort Lassic.

The conquest of Fort Lassic would have to wait, but as long as he could invade most of Arkland, Eamon could become lord of Arkland even without taking down the Lassic Dukedom.

Eamon’ quick decision is based on this plan; he could not foresee, however, that the Arkland forces would leave out hundreds of knights to defend against them, as if they knew from the start that Eamon Guerrin would breach from their border.

A chilling premonition ran down Eamon’ back: either Lassic completely sees through his plans, or he has been manipulated.

“There is no other choice…we must take down this small Arkland  forces!”

“Men, this is a chance like none other! Give it our all!!”

“Yes, my lord!! The Redcliffe Army shall be at Your side, until our last breath!!”

Less than one-fifth of the total numbers of the Redcliffe Army, however, stands their ground and fighting fiercely. All of them, however, were trained soldiers ready to give their lives for Eamon.

Sword and lance in hand, the soldiers surround Eamon to cover him from all sides, while the conscripted peasants are clashing against the Arkland knights head on.

As Arkland knights go deeper into Eamon Guerrin's formation, his Viscount asks him to go to safe spot.

Eamon Guerrin, accompanied by ten knights quietly ride their horses towards Redcliffe border. After a while, they think no enemy is after them. 

Suddenly, five cavalry with spears are coming from their side. One of them is a tall woman with navy coloured hair. 

"Engage them. Marquis and me will run to Redcliffe!" Count Joe, Eamon's right hand man orders the others to block the newcomers while he and Eamon escape. 

Eamon Guerrin curses in his heart. His circumstances is perfect,  totally outnumbering their enemies, but he is now being forced to leave his men, fleeing to his home. 

After a while, they think the enemies are no longer chasing them anymore. 

They slow down their horses. Suddenly, there is a sound of galloping. They look behind. The woman is riding her steed and closing in towards them. 

"Damn. Ruuun!"

Both of them holds their rein tightly and drive their horses as fast as possible. They are very skillful horse riders after all. 

Out of sudden, the woman appears beside them, flying vertically while holding her spear.

Did she just jump from her horse? Eamon thinks.

While in the mid air, she swings her spear to cut off the count's head and uses the momentum to make a rotation towards Eamon.

Her blade cut Eamon's body and he falls to the ground.

“This…can’t be…I…I can’t lose…!! I’m the…most influential man in Ferelden…!!”

Eamon Guerrin is lying on the grass. The commander of the invading army is gravely wounded, but still clinging to life. He is lying face up on the ground, muttering under his breath as if he is chanting a spell.

“Where…where did I go wrong…? Was I…not destined to be protect Ferelden…?”

“No point in asking any of that to me, old man.”

Irijina Wolls scoffs at the wheezing Eamon.

“Who cares about right and wrong? I am stronger, so I won. Not enough of a reason for you?”

“You…bastard…! How could a barbarian…without ambition…hope to understand!? For king Maric…for all the men…who fell before me…I have to protect Ferelden…!!”

“You nobles sure have it tough, huh. Good thing my family is totally gone, I guess.”

Irijina shrugs and thrusts her spear in the ground, drawing her sword instead.

“They told me I don’t have to take you prisoner, but I’m not one to torment losers…what do you want to do? I’ll patch you up if you’ll stay quiet.”

“Gah…!!”

Eamon’ expression twists in humiliation and he glares at the young woman. There is no chance of his fate turning around anymore: he would not protect or grasp anything anymore.

“...cut me down.”

Eamon utters the words, a pained expression on his face.

“I couldn’t…grant their wish…I couldn’t protect Ferelden…then…to die as equals, on the battlefield…is the least I can do…”

“Sure, as you wish.”

Irijina twirls her sword, pointing the blade downwards, and thrusts it in Eamon’ chest without hesitation.

“Gh…”

“You lost in the end, but that last spurt of spirit you showed was pretty impressive. As my late father would say, you’ve earned the right to rest, I guess.”

Irijina takes out her sword and praises Eamon — though there is no one that could listen anymore.

Eamon Guerrin, Marquis of Redcliffe, one of the six Great nobles, has fallen in the enemy territory.

For Irijina Wolls, the sole survivor of Wolls knight family in Arkland, she already single handedly killed two of Ferelden great nobles, Marquis Bann of Amaranthine and Marquis Eamon Guerrin of Redcliffe.

Meanwhile, her outnumbered comrades are in dire situation. Killing the leaders don't stop the Redcliffe's soldiers from butchering the small number of Arkland knights. She walks to her horse. The battle is far from over.

2