Chapter 79: Three Cornered Battle
349 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“H-H-EEEEK! Y-You damned fools!! As if I could die in a place like this!!”

In the frenzied battlefield, after the Arkland army’s entrance, a shadow is scurrying away like a rat.

“How dare you do this to me, Lubreo Lambert…!! Rest assured, I’m going to have your head on a platter…!!”

The crazed shrieking is produced by King’ former advisor who temporarily served in the Marquis Leonas Bryland — Count Loghain Mac Tir.

After his collusion with Brumerush was discovered, he has been captured, restrained, and locked in a corner of the camp. His scarred body is marked further purple by the ropes and the traces of torture at the hands of his former companions.

Taking advantage of the confusion caused by the battle, Loghain manages to escape. He rips bloodied clothes from the corpses and used them to camouflage himself, sometimes killing enemies who attack him, in order to survive.

“No, I can’t die here!! I’m going to destroy House of Lambert... damn that Lubreo.... then surpass Brumerush and Leonas! I can’t die like worthless man."

Loghain, seething words of poison from his mouth, is trying to get away from the battlefield as quickly as possible. The face of the former finest mind of the Ferelden is now twisted by hatred and paranoia.

“Yes…yes, it’s not over yet…! Once I return to my demesne, I can…! I’ll start new scheme, use my intelligence.... I need to lay low for a while… I could gather all those who resent the Lambert and Bryland, create a rebellious force…! Haha, yes…!”

Loghain grins ecstatically while lost in complicated planning while putting back his armour kept by Bryland's men. Then, he drags his feet away from the battlefield, the cries and clashing of weapons fainter and fainter in his ears. Thinking he is out of danger, Loghain smiles.

About 30 meters away, he notices David Lassic gallantly cutting men one by one. Despite swinging such a large sword, he easily cut many men with lighter swords. 

"As expected of the strongest man in Ferelden. It has nothing to do with me anyway." He talks to himself. 

After killing about ten more men, a man donning body armour covering whole hands and body like Loghain appears before David Lassic...that is Leonas Bryland. 

Both of them engage in a fierce battle. Leonas uses broad sword as well but not as big as Lassic's. For first few minutes, the fight is evenly matched, but later Lassic starts to overwhelm Leonas. 

Then, another capable fighter, Count Moore joins with his light sword. The fight becomes two versus one, Leonas and Moore against Lassic. 

Then, the match becomes stalemate. 

Choices open to him now, that  would affect his future plan. 

Abandoning the battlefield or helping Leonas. 

Although Leonas has treated him badly, that is due to Lubreo's plot. 

If he helps Leonas, their relationship could be restored. 

He needs to gain an ally among the great nobles after all. 

After rethinking for a while, Lassic seems to be overpowering the duo, as Count Moore is wounded.  

The longer Loghain waits, Leonas would be in danger.

Loghain strides towards them.

Count Moore falls to his knees while Leonas is breathing hard.

When Leonas thinks he is going to die, unexpected man appears beside him.

"Marquis Bryland. I help you."

Leonas looks at him in confusion, and asks,

"Why? Aren't you with Lassic?"

"Hahaha. What are you talking about? I have never spoken to this geezer for decades!" David Lassic interferes.

Suddenly, Leonas understands that he fell to someone's cunning scheme.

"Damn it. Whose plot is this?" Leonas shouts.

"Lubreo Lambert." Loghain answers earnestly.

"Hahahaha. As expected of that fox, Lubreo!" David Lassic laughs while his sword thrusted into the ground.

"So, Hero of Ferelden and veteran Leonas Bryland. You two geezers fight me?" 

"Don't underestimate us!"

The two men swing their broadsword towards Lassic, while Lassic's smile becomes wider.

"Hahahaha!"

Lassic laughs while exchanging blows with another two large swords. 

Rather than stalemate, Loghain and Leonas has been able to slightly push Lassic back, but that only further excites the strongest man in Ferelden. 

In the earlier exchanges, Lassic was the one swinging onslaughts but now Lassic is at the receiving end; blocking, dodging and retreating. 

Exploiting opening after a foe makes a heavy swing, is futile as another opponent attacks before Lassic could even make a full swing. 

Attacking pattern of a large sword is limited; it is either vertical slash, horizontal slash or rare piercing. 

Both Leonas and Loghain wear thick armour covering whole body while Lassic unusually wear a light armour.

Thus, Lassic could move a lot faster than heavy opponents, but his advantage diminishes when fighting against two top class heavy sword wielders.

Meanwhile, three cornered battle between Brumerush, Bryland and Arkland soldiers is turning to Arkland's advantage. 

Marquis Brumerush, a noble with little fighting ability, is quietly brought away from the battlefield by his retinues.

2