Chapter 130: House of Beltz
207 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Yesterday I received a letter from Lim Goh Tong that stating that he is suspicious of me and how I could get my hands on unique household items.

Lim Goh Tong had seen through me in less than half a day.

What was I going to do… What should I do?

In terms of negotiations, I know that I wouldn’t stand a chance against a veteran like him.

But nothing good would come out of killing him now… no, actually only negative things would come out of it.

Also, I don’t dislike the old man… but if we have conflicting interests, I may not have any other choice.

No matter how hard I thought over it, I couldn’t arrive at an answer.

I couldn’t think of a way to overcome this situation while continuing to manage all of my ongoing plans.

I could feel myself getting lost in the labyrinth of my thoughts.

Lim company and the Lambert House are big business partners.

There’s a high chance. No, there’s almost no question that he had already met Lubreo and the current head of the estate. He has probably exchanged greetings with the sorceress as well.

I was lucky to have hidden everything in the back of the store before attending the luncheon. But the way things are now, I wouldn’t be able to go back to the living the way I was before.

My memories of that night are hazy, but when I come to, I realize I have been sleeping with my face buried in Sylvia’s breasts.

During my childhood, when I would get bullied by other children, I would sleep with my head nestled on my mom’s chest.

Right now, as I rest my head against Sylvia, I feel wrapped in the same sense of security I did as a child.

…. I nod off to sleep once again. This time a little more peacefully.

***

I wake up to the smell of fresh bread rising in the oven. The scent of warm soup wafts toward me.

I shake my head to rid myself of the grogginess and sit up. I hear a voice at the door.

"Good morning, Hiro-sama. Please eat your breakfast. You won’t be able to come up with any good ideas on an empty stomach."

Hanabi has prepared breakfast for me.

On a normal day, we would have leftover soup and bread bought from the store. Depending on the day, sometimes there is a salad. But today, Hanabi has used the kitchen to prepare warm soup, and some scrambled eggs with cured meats.

"Wow, Hanabi, this is a lot of food…"

Although that is what I said, my empty stomach is much more honest.

Ivanna, Sekrit, Sylvia join us during the breakfast. The purpose of the breakfast is to have important meeting.

We make small talk while eating breakfast.

Topics ranged from the pressing issue of Lim’s motives to current food trends, about Jill and Suzy, and how we were going to protect the girls at the Hiro Company if anything are to happen.

Ivanna, Hanabi and I are doing most of the talking, and Sylvia and Sekrit listen intently, occasionally pointing out if we have missed  important details.

We even discuss what we would do in the case that our secret is revealed… if we would escape from the city, what is Plan A, Plan B, Plan C and so on.

We continue to chat about this and that, and before we know it, it is time to open the store.

There is a knock on the wooden door, and an unfamiliar face walks in… At first glance, he looks like an average townsperson, but something about him suggested that he is used to aggressive situations.

"I apologize for coming so early in the morning. I heard that this is a store that sells rare tools…"

His speech is polite, and he didn’t have an accent. He must be from this town… and from the upper class at that.

"Yes, we deal with everyday items, but we do also keep armour and other types of defensive equipment, and even agriculture produce as well, but that is on next shop. Is there anything in particular that I can help you with?"

I quickly make myself presentable and go out onto the floor.

I wonder what his status is… I couldn’t tell from what he is wearing…

"… Actually, I heard that you also carry security equipment."

"May I ask who you heard this from?"

The man pauses to take a breath.

"I apologize that it was hearsay… but from “the underworld broker.”

My expression didn’t reveal anything, but I celebrate inwardly.

The “underworld broker” referred to none other than myself.

I had come up with that name myself, and I had asked Clementine, Brita, and Suzy to spread the word so that it would reach the ears of a certain family…one of the Lambert’s rivals, the Beltz family that is.

"I see… yes, we don’t put everything on display, but we do handle a variety of magical equipment. If you would like, we could discuss this further in the back room. Sylvia and Selene, if you could please watch over the store for me."

***

"Hmm, an item that allows you to observe things from a distance you say. I won’t ask you what you will be using it for… I’m simply a merchant who exchanges items for proper compensation. However, if you would like an explanation on how to use something, or have any technical questions, I am more than willing to provide you with my counsel."

As I had suspected, the Beltz house is engaging in espionage against the Lamberts.

The Beltz family, who Bella is employed under, owns a great deal of farmland and orchards and has a lot of wealth and influence on-land between West Hills and Abram. However, in this water-gate town of Abrams, they are Count,  considered a rank beneath the Lambert family.

"Yes, we need to increase security measures for a number of reasons… it seems that among the group of scoundrels who is after my family, there is a user of magic who likes to shamelessly spy on us."

This man is most likely not a servant.

A friend of the head of the household Count Beltz, or a member of the lower ranking aristocrats under Beltz.

How careless…. No wonder they couldn’t win against the Lambert family who has that sorceress.

"I see. So an eye for an eye. Magic for magic… You may already have eyes and ears planted inside of your estate though. If you don’t mind my asking, do you have anyone at your manor who specializes in magic…?"

"We do have someone who can cast spells, but this kind of magic is…"

"I see… My supplier is actually a magician who specializes in enchantments. If you find it necessary, I can ask them to help you in increasing the security measures around your estate. Although, they are kind of a recluse, so I would most likely end up going in their place."

***

Business with the Beltz family goes well, for the most part.

It is honestly a blessing that they hage made their move before the Lambert. I had no idea how effective this would be, but I hope it would help in stirring things up…

Meanwhile, I had hired several mercenaries via mercenaries guild to spy on the villa told by Bella.

It seems out of ten mercenaries who went there, eight has been missing in action. Two surviving men, however, didn't enter the house compound. 

From this, I am able to understand one thing.

It most definitely is not a lover that she is hiding away at the villa.

It must be a powerful person. 

There must a motive for him to be there.

2