Chapter 189: For Humanity
167 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Basement in Redcliffe castle)

Jowan looks at Connor who is having a nap on his bed. The room at the basement is cramped but the son of Marquis fell asleep easily as he is very used to this commoner's room. 

Jowan is sitting and reading books on his desk. He asked Isolde to acquire some books on magic and some of the books are in the desk.

As Jowan grows fond of his disciple, he tries his best to study magic that can resurrect Connor's father. 

Jowan's weakness is once he becomes fond of his disciples, he would do everything even studying forbidden magic for them.

He is reminded to the times when he was imprisoned by church. There, he had a lover and teach her some forbidden magic. He escaped and arrived at an abandoned castle in Hinterland where he met a cult, also escapees from church. There, he taught his second disciple, a woman called Speaker Anais. 

He then came to Redcliffe castle as the lord was looking to hire a sorcerer. 

Then, he realized that it was just a pretext to help with the son, Connor who  awakened his magical talent. Isolde was hiding the fact from her husband, Eamon Guerrin.

He reads a thin book titled "Journal of former Senior Enchanter Maleus". 

In the book, there are written ways to summon top class demons. 

Jowan himself had a lot of experience in summoning demons but he never summon a top class demon. 

For the past week, he had studied the book thoroughly. Now, he is on the final page.

The author wrote:

"In all my studies, I must say that the most intriguing was my interview with the desire demon. That the creature was willing to speak with me was a sign that this was no mere monster, mindlessly driven by its nature, but rather a rational being as interested in me as I was in it. It took a form that I would call female. I wondered if it appeared as it did because I wanted it to or because I expected it to. She... and, indeed, I could only think of her as such now... smiled warmly at me and laughed a musical sound that seemed to thrill my old heart. 

So frightened was I of this creature's legendary abilities to twist the hearts of men, and so relieved was I when I looked across the table into her dark eyes. This was a fearsome creature, but as I spoke with her I slowly came to realize that this demon was merely as misunderstood as we sorcerers are, ourselves."

He sighs. He looks at Connor's sleeping face and then to the book.

"If I proceed..."

***

(Haven, Hinterland)

I and Ivanna rude a horse together. We head to the other end of Hinterland, a small village called Haven. There is a wooden signboard with  words "Haven village". We slowly ride into the village area.

There is large space with only five houses in it. Beside one of the house, there is wooden stable. We could see many horses inside the stable. We approach the house, entering the compound. 

Nearing the house, we unmount. 

There seems nobody in the house. "Excuse me!" I call loudly.

"Excuse me!"

Upon my second calling, a man replies from inside the house. 

"Wait."

A big man exits the house with a woman. They seem to be in their late forties.

"Who is that?" A pretty girl exits the house.

She has dark navy hair with bangs covering both her ears and nape. Hair above her forehead is cut short.

"Are you the refugees from there?" The man asks.

"I am not a refugee but I am helping the refugees with their life. I occupy the Winterwatch Tower."

"Without our help, thousands of innocent people would die." Ivanna covers for me.

The middle aged man glares at me from head to toe as if gouging me.

I introduce myself, 

" I am Hiro

 She is Ivanna."

" How many of refugees are there? From Olga?" He asks with serious face.

"Now, there are over thirty thousand. All from Olga." I answer while staring straight to his eyes.

"Whaaat!" The father, mother and daughter are obviously shocked. 

"I come to you as we need to solve food issues. You, as the local should know how to connect with the people at Redcliffe village."

I plead to them while they are still gawking.

"We are talking about the life of dozens of thousands... Women and children." I invoke their sympathy.

The puzzled man looks at beyond the trees as if trying to imagine what is happening out there. 

"Dad. We must help them!" The daughter yells at him.

"Shut up, Mabel. I am thinking." He scolds his daughter. The daughter, Mabel puffs her cute cheeks. 

Thank you, Mabel. I feel like hugging her. 

The man closes his eyes for a while. Then, he opens his mouth.

"I used to be local at Redcliffe village. Now, I am retired.... I can't go with you to there. But I can give you some pointers. Come in."

He invites us in.

2