Chapter 306: Northeastern Dioral
94 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"This is such a rotten place." When Frontiera vice lord, Viscount Garridan steps out of his cabin, the smell of decayed wood hit him in the face. The surrounding air is damp and oppressive, causing people to feel entirely uncomfortable. He lifts his head up and inhales through the nose. The sky is completely overcast, and it seems that heavy rain is incoming.

"The last time you came here was a year ago,"said the aide to viscount while he graciously put a wool coat on the viscount’s shoulders, "There was nothing here, except stone."

"It was a year and a half." Garridan corrects. "Every season the Margrave chose a different person to come around. The last time I was in Vilvorde, it was summer. But in addition to ore they have more, like a good variety of furs, and...“

"What?" His assistant has a blank look on his face.

Garridan shakes his head and doesn't answer. He crosses over the side of the ship, stepping on the pier covered with moss, and a plank gave off a creaking sound from under his foot. The wood would probably continue to support the dock for a few years, but then it would break down, he ponders. Vilvorde town not only had stone and fur, but even... land.

But speaking about this hasn’t any meaning, the assistant is only an unknown city hall officer, he is unable to see this point.

Between Frontiera Town and Vilvorde Stronghold is a large area of wild land, which still needs to be cleared for cultivation. On one side is the impassable mountain range blocking the Nicaea, while on the other side is the Fluviu River, long and narrow like a corridor. As an outpost for the Dioral, if they assume responsibility of the defensive line, it would also bring the wide expanse of land into the possession of the kingdom. The land has not been cultivated, so it doesn’t require any recuperation before plowing. Instead, many circles of crops could be planted, and on top of that, it has a natural line of defense on both sides. In the end, to produce enough for everyone to eat, it is not required to expend much effort. The food shortage in Vilvorde is just a way to relieve the Frontiera of the problems caused by a growing population. In the future Vilvorde Stronghold and the Frontiera town should become one territory of northeastern Dioral, rather than the two separated territories they are now.

The only drawback is that it would need a ten to twenty year-long operation, as well as large sums of money in advance.

Unfortunately, when talking about the foresight of investment, most of the nobility are bad businessmen.

"Hey, how can it be that the yard is empty?" The assistant points to a distant piece of land. "Shouldn’t they have the ore ready?"

Garridan sighs softly, "We will go to the castle, and have an audience with the Count."

"Wait... Sir, do you know if he will receive you?"

He didn’t know if Count of Vilvorde would, but in his heart he didn’t want to say it. "Let’s go, the stables are just in front."

Trouble came decades ago that the Vilvorde stronghold and Fiontera town were divided into two separate territories. Decades ago Hyuutia led Adalgiso family and Kronid family to repel invasion by templars and Abram alliance. Adalgiso was immediately promoted to the rank of Count from mere knight while Kronid was promoted from count to Margrave for being in charge of the border. Kronid faces the border land between Dioral and Ferelden's Abram region while Adalgiso protects Dioral from the more dangerous Nicaea.

Selling minerals and jewelry in exchange for food and bread? He is afraid that the count's eyes only can see gold royals.

If it is himself, he would do it. To helplessly watch as one's own territory output is exchanged for only food... The ambassador is afraid that nobody would accept this situation. In addition, the products don’t have to go to Frontiera. Most of the nobility forgets the fact that the Fluviu River doesn’t end at the Frontiera. Vilvorde could sell the ore at market price in Venetian city state, in Florence, or even in Abram, then take people from their cities as new refugees – it is nothing more than a little further down the river end.

What could the Frontiera do then? Block the river, and cut off the count and his vassals? It would simply be a breach to the Dioral nobility creed. 

Viscount Garridan and his assistant ride on rented horses, coming slowly forward on the stone road along the river. The stables only have old horses of mixed colours; even if they ride slowly, the horses would still tremble. And for these two stupid horses, he has still to pay a deposit of ten silver coins.

"You see, sir, is that a boat from Vilvorde?"

Hearing his aide shout, he looks in the direction he points, only to see a ship with an unfamiliar insignia of a book and a hammer on their red banner, hanging on their single pole, slowly sailing down the river. The hull waterline is very high, indicating that it is loaded with cargo.

"Is that the Count's new insignia?"

Viscount Garridan blankly nods, but his heart sinks, the count moves faster than he had expected. If the count has begun to contact those other region and cities downstream, the bargaining chips in his own hands lost value. He originally intended to acquire the ore for 50 percent lower than the normal price, so that he would still earn something. Not to mention, after the stones are turned into polished jewelry, the price of luxury goods are several times higher. Unfortunately, this is not a monopoly, nor is it only his family who has the final say. Participating in the mining project in Vilvorde are six noble families from both factions in northeastern Dioral. If they lack majority consent, then there would be no resolution.

However, they are slow in reacting, thinking that the situation is the same as before... Or, they assume the mining project is not worth that much attention. Anyway, the remaining two of their faction are indifferent, even the margrave confidently rejects him. In fact, they are wrong, the low reward of the mining output is mainly due to few other trading possibilities, if they transition to the normal trade, they could earn more. And if you earn more, you will be likely to produce more ore next year.

Could they achieve the monopoly scheme they thought out before? In all likelihood, no, it certainly couldn’t be realized. Garridan ponders, since he could see the empty yard, the count does not intend to let these minerals be exchanged for poor quality wheat, he has to contact the other buyers.

If they still want to hold this line of business, a fifty percent discount is his best bargaining chip. Since the distance between Venetian and Vilvorde stronghold is further, this would end in an increase of the transportation costs, but Venetian has more than one source of ore; the first price they would offer would likely be lower than the market price by half. As for Abram and Florence, the price would be even lower, so the count would agree to Frontiera monopoly - especially for the gem trade.

But the problem is, if he signs a contract, would margrave agrees with it? The another family of their faction believe that it would be a simple matter to let Vilvorde surrenders, should he dismiss the interests of the family to get the contract?

After all, in their eyes, north eastern Dioral is still controlled by their margrave faction, and everything could be given or taken away by them.

They slowly cross the town, heading toward the castle located in the southeast corner. It is not Garridan's first time here, but this time the surrounding has changed.

When the guards see the two visitors, they immediately go in and inform the count.

Count Odbart Adalgiso is quickly summoned, and when the two are guided into the hall; the count is already sitting at the main seat waiting.

"Viscount Garridan, please sit down."

1