Chapter 456 : Death of A Warrior
47 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Usually she moved with very light steps but now her step was deeper than he’d expected, and as Clementine slashed up from below, she carried with her some fragments from the floor. That small deviation broke Kant’s stance.

Throughout this battle, Kant often slashed while Clementine thrusted but their final attack was the other way round. If Kant’s last move was a sure-kill thrust, then Clementine’s last move was a sure-kill blow.

She took Kant’s iron arm as she raised up stone fragments within a cloud of dust.

At this moment, the more experienced Kant, who was usually composed suddenly let loose a passionate battle cry.

He forcefully tried to fix his posture and release that sure-kill thrust of his. Try as Clementine might hide herself behind a smokescreen, there was no way Kant would miss with his unparalleled precision.

His aim was the girl’s throat.

Her blade was moving up at a speed too fast to follow, but it was at that moment, that she took one more step and brought out her left hand.

Kant had seen for himself the moment, so he thought he’d won, but when his thrust finally landed, it landed on the gauntlet covering her hand.

He was extremely shocked as he was very sure she had been barehanded throughout the fight. At that, his last attack could not reach her life.

"I didn't wear the glove to deceive you!" Clementine yelled.

The moment he thought he’d failed, a silver light flashed through his eyes.

Silence greeted him.

As a sound resounded, Kant knew he had fallen to his knees.

Before him was the grinning girl, who successfully outwitted him. 

Kant was a commander of this famous fortress but he was not a well known fighter. His lord, Viscount Lazar was known to be one of 10 best swordsmen in Orlais but everyone in the fortress who often saw his fights against Lazar, that Kant was a better fighter than Lazar. Kant didn't want to overshadow his lord who he owed his current lifestyle to. 

Clementine's blade flashed a silver light.

It was at that moment that the commander of north eastern fortress, who was stronger than one of ten best swordsmen in Orlais, Kant Emanuel's life came to an end.

Kant's head fell as he received Clementine’s attack, then immediately after, she took his head.

"Take his head and parade around the fortress." Cass commanded her bodyguards. They were stopped by the bloody Clementine.

"Lady Clementine!" The men backed away from her.

"…What are you doing?” Cass asked with a horse voice. She didn’t hide her displeasure even a little.

Clementine looked Cass in the eye as she swung his blade to rid it of Kant’s blood.

Cass’s cold bespectacled eyes clashed with Clementine’s burning eyes that just came from a duel with one of the best fighters in the country. A heavy atmosphere filled the room, and Gertru and Irijina glanced at each other.

“Those two don’t get along?” Irijina asked.

“Don’t ask me. They’re both of a higher noble rank than me. They wouldn’t even spare me the time unless necessary.”

Gertrude folded her hands as she watched the two women argue, while Irijina sighed and turned heel.

“Ridiculous! I’m leaving! There might still be a head worth plucking out there!”

Seeing Irijina leave, Cass decided to walk away as well.

“Do as you please, but this man’s head must be paraded around.” Cass commanded.

At the end of her bodyguards could be seen staring at Kant’s head with a regretful look on their faces.

“He might have been my enemy, but I acknowledge him. It would leave a bad aftertaste to simply let his head be toyed around." Clementine argued.

"I am entrusted with His Majesty's absolute decree. And I shall give this man's head a proper burial after I use it to make his followers surrender."

Cass's argument made Clementine speechless and left nonchalantly.

Meanwhile, Gertrude turned to Kant’s headless corpse and sheathed her long sword as she knelt.

“An enemy like this deserves respect."

***

Red Army and Wing of Orlais needed another half day to fully conquer the fortress after Kant died.

As he waited for the detached force’s arrival, the Hiro gathered the key players in the war and the people who were left behind.

Hiro looked down at the crowd of people gathered at the square.

The red army surrounded the thousands of residents.

“Brethren! Members of the alliance! Our enemies, the feudal lords of this land, have died, and we have survived!”

The pressure and volume behind that voice was so great that some of the locals, who were hearing his voice for the first time, actually fell to the ground.

Contrast to them, the red army clanged their weapon and cheered, praising the king.

“Let us spare a moment of silence for those who have died!”

The red army who had been making merry suddenly went quiet and bowed their heads. They waited for the king’s next words.

The dalish, the Redcliffe, and the Hyuutia all spoke after the king. Each of them thought of their own kin, as they waited for the king’s next words.

"Lift your heads, my brethren! The sorrow has passed. Now, we shall cry for glory! For we have triumphed! This glory is the first of many to come! So cry, my brethren! Cry out in the name of victory!”

To our victory!

The commanders raised up their weapons, while the other members cried out.

To victory!

They raised their weapons up high as if they sought to pierce the heavens, and the rays of the sun reflected upon them.

“Locals,”  Hiro spoke to the residents. 

“We have invaded you, and now, we stand before you as your rulers. You have lost, and we have won. But hear my words, sons of man, for I promise you peace. So long as you do not rebel against us, we will not kill you.”

The king puffed out his chest. “In the name of the God of Ebonite, I hereby proclaim the north east region shall be under Hezri Kingdom!"

In the midst of the deafening silence, the Goblin King suddenly proclaimed the name of the new country.

The one who broke the silence was the bispectacled female strategist, Cass Brankovic.

“O king! Our great king! The king who shall guide us!”

Like a dam cut open, the moment Cass yelled, the rest of the red army cried out.

O king! Our great king! The king who shall guide us!

1