Chapter 468 : Val Royeaux
58 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Some time later in Val Royeaux.

Several men wrapped in black mantles whispered in a back alley.

"After you guys finish your part, meet back at the spot we agreed on…… and on the off chance that isn’t possible?"

"When there is a risk of being captured, and when the chance to escape has disappeared……"

The men take out short knives from inside their cloak.

The knives were dripping with a poisonous-looking liquid and a single drop ominously trickled down the tip of the blade.

"Even if you guys commit suicide, your family will be well-protected and can live lives of luxury. However, if you guys get captured and you leak information, everything will be denied from your family and they will be thrown to the roadside. Keep that in mind."

"Yessir!"

With the exception of the man in the middle, everyone scattered.

The man secretly muttered to himself.

"Such dirty methods are fitting for such dirty vassals of Haine"

***

In the back alley of Val Royeaux.

"Hahaha! I’ve gotten pretty drunk today, what a pleasant feeling!"

"Oh my, milord, getting your face all red."

"You’re still handsome when you’re drunk."

The man walked unsteadily, supported by one woman on each side.

"I’m feeling so good~. The three of us should have fun together when we get back~ I’ll give you the bonus too~"

"Kya~ how lovely~!"

"As expected of one of the famous nobles, Lord Jasque!"

"……"

A man cloaked in a black mantle stood in front of the merry trio.

"What’s this~? You~ Who do you think I am~"

"You’re Baronet Jasque, vassal of Montfort, right?"

$……if you know, then get out of the way. If I use my power against someone like you……"

The man took out a sword from inside his mantle.

"We are working for Haine, and you refused our request to sponsor us with your funds. The sin of spitting on justice by drowning in money is deserving of certain death."

"W-what did you say!? You’re just mere survivors……turning Haine into your enemy in exchange is-……"

The man ignored Jasque’s words and swung his sword at him.

"Divine punishment!"

"Gyaaaaah!"

The man’s blade ran down Jasque’s shoulder, and then the man stabbed Jasque’s neck to finish him off once he fell to the ground.

A large amount of blood started pooling around his body.

"M-murderer!"

"Someone, someoneee! Gyaah!"

The man sliced the back of one of the women who started to run and scream for help, then tossed away the sword before fleeing the scene.

Several similar attacks occurred simultaneously within the city, and the once peaceful city became enveloped in chaos.

In each of these incidents, the targets were the individuals and acquaintances who refused to cooperate with the group self-proclaimed as "New Herald".

In one night, five cases of murder occurred and the total number of casualties numbered 12 people.

Out of the 8 perpetrators, 3 committed suicide while the other 5 managed to flee.

From the skillful execution of the attacks, it was clear that they made scrupulous preparations and had other people aiding in their escape.

***

In a corner of the Val Bayeux city in Oslais, there was a luxurious palatial residence amongst many other buildings lined up side-by-side in the wealthy district……which Margrave Mantillon de Haine spent a large fortune on and was essentially using as the base for New Herald.

Being an outsider and also being able to set up a base in this place where the mayor’s power was strong meant that he and his organization received substantial support.

"What? An assassination incident involving New Herald and Saxon?"

Mantillon, who sat on top of a gorgeously decorated throne-like chair, listening to his subordinate’s report and exclaims in a doubtful tone.

"Yessir! There are also other assassinations on Loren and Jacques, nobles who rejected our request to cooperate."

"Impossible."

Mantillon smiled slightly as he instantly gulped down the liquor in his cup.

"I didn’t give out such instructions. It must have been due to some internal strife or the result of robbers."

"However, the ones who were assassinated ranged from high class knights to merchants without regard to ranks, all of who rejected to cooperate with us. People are already coming in our direction from every demesne to protest and affirm the truth……"

As expected, Mantillon’s face warps.

"Just deceive them somehow by saying they’re wrong in thinking it was us! We will confirm the facts ourselves in the meantime."

Knowing he himself did not give the orders, the only thing he could think of was the spontaneous decision made by the survivors scattered around the cities.

He might be the leader of the group and the person who brought everyone together, but it wasn’t like he supervised every little group in far away places.

"Damn…… those hasty idiots did something unnecessary."

He had a friendly relationship with the mayor of Val Bayeux but that didn’t mean there won’t be any pressure from the other demesnes.

Before that happens, he should capture the perpetrators and hand them to the Council of Heralds as hoodlums who have nothing to do with New Herald.

"With that many assassinations occurring, they must have a considerable number of allies. We’ll know immediately if they’re some local group who seem like they would act without my instructions though."

The perpetrators hired by him were mainly scattered in western and eastern region.

There shouldn’t be many individuals here in the cities which are meaningless for them to attack.

"We’ll investigate right away."

The subordinate rushed out the door and left in a hurry.

"Good grief, being a leader isn’t easy."

Under no circumstances would Mantillon say this in front of his subordinates, but he didn’t think it was possible to restore Orlais to its former glory.

The country is in ruins and the original Saxon heirs was wiped out.

What point is there in trying to pick up the pieces now?

"Montfort and the northern factions will definitely clash. At that time, how valuable will the hands I’ve stretched throughout Orlais be?"

Assassination and destruction both only acted as tools to prove his achievements.

"The vassals of Saxon are burning with a passion for revolution…… I will use that and advance forward. That Jilk was trying to use me instead."

The corners of Mantillon’s lips raised slightly in a cynical smile.

In the first place, such an inferior plan could never attempt to overthrow the royal power. In the end, he was nothing more than a foolish general who struggled in the civil war war alone.

Just when he was about to get up to refill his empty cup with alcohol, the subordinate who he thought had left rushed back in the room.

"Your Excellency! Serious news!"

"What’s the matter, how is the investigation going?"

"There’s no time for that! I received word just now. The group pretending to be New Herald attacked the Arc de Triompe, killing a few council members and setting the Assembly Hall on fire!"

"No way!! That’s impossible!!"

Even if it was a spontaneous act, he couldn’t believe that there were such fools in his group.

But the subordinate disregarded Maximilian’s objection and immediately continues speaking.

「It looks like the perpetrators killed over 10 of them on the spot.」

「Ununu……」

Guldia is a republican Polis so their Council is similar to the royal authority of a King.

Now that the group laid hands on them, there’s no way Maximilian could pretend not to know about it.

The current situation was not something he can argue about.

"Report all the details to me in order, I’ll go discuss this with the mayor."

Just as he began making arrangements, there was a loud voice coming from the front of his house.

"Lord Mantillon! You have received an emergency summons from the mayor! It’s urgent!"

The sound of a table being destroyed could be heard shortly after.

0