Chapter 43: Coin x Edge (Vol. 3 End)
271 8 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The coin floated in the air for an unbearable amount of time. For Kichi, every millisecond it stayed suspended in the air meant another millisecond of waiting for the final decision. For the twins and Kougi, they were both hoping it would stay up their forever. Though all that would accomplish was delaying the inevitable. An outcome where one would be happy and the other two sad.

They all held their breaths as it finally began to make its descent to the floor. The coin fell slowly as it hit the ground and bounced up due to the force. It would continue this for some more agonizing seconds before finally coming to a stop.

“What the…?” Kichi couldn’t believe it. He had never seen anything like this happen before. “It landed on its… side?” More accurately, it landed on the edge. The coin was precariously balanced, heads and tails were both visible to those looking right at it as they all looked back and forth between themselves to decipher the results.

“Don’t anyone move.” Said Airi, she put up her arms to hold back the other two girls. She knew with how it was balanced, a sudden move could cause it to fall on one of its sides. Of course, she would’ve preferred it land with hers facing up, but that was not a risk she was willing to take.

“Okay.” The same went with Aoi, who spoke quietly as if afraid her voice would be enough to knock it over.

“Huh, so it landed on its edge.” Said Kichi as he stared in awe of the sight. Were they not in the situation they currently were in. He would’ve whipped out his phone to take a pic and share this online. Not that anyone would’ve believed him anyway. “I’ve heard about this before.”

It was true that pretty much everyone considered a coin toss to be a 50-50 chance. There were only two sides, the heads and the tails. Therefore, it would stand to reason both options were equal in their occurrence. However, there were many who also stated there was actually a hidden third option when it came to coin tosses. That it was possible for it to land on its edge, provided the coin was thick enough to even be balanced in such a position at all.

Though he always thought it was just a myth. Something that was technically possible, but would never happen in his lifetime. Yet here it was, standing right before him. If the coin had landed on its edge, then what choice would that represent? If the options were to pick between either Airi or Aoi, then what third choice was there?

“You know…” Carefully, Kougi had sneaked her way around the coin to relocate herself right behind Kichi. “I can think of a third girl you could always go for.” She had also come to the same conclusion as him in terms of understanding what landing on the edge meant. Of course, she came to a separate conclusion that heavily favored her when it came to interpreting the results.

“No.” He whispered back to her, trying to keep their conversation private from the twins. If they realized he had even considered his own sister as a romantic interest, then he believed he would kiss goodbye any chance he had with either twin.

“Maybe it’s just a fluke.” Said Aoi. “That thing’s just dumb luck anyway, so it probably doesn’t mean anything.”

“I swear you two just don’t understand the coin’s wisdom.” He replied, finally picking it back up from the ground. It was clear he had gotten the results, not all that mattered was making sense of it. What would be the option that was between choosing one of the girls? Was it to go with neither, as Kougi had suggested? Or perhaps… It was to go with both?

“I don’t like the look on your face there.” She could tell from his thinking face that he did not have pure thoughts. To be fair, she always thought he had impure thoughts. Just that she would’ve preferred he keep them to himself.

“The coin didn’t just land on its edge.” He explained his thought process. “It also didn’t land on either heads or tails. Instead, both heads and tails were visible to us. That must mean I need to go with both of you!”

“Huh?” Kougi was most shocked out of all of them. The first being the obvious part of her being left out of his romantic plans. The second would be how bold he was simply suggesting to two girls that he simply date both of them. The power of the coin in convincing him on what to do was truly a powerful tool.

“You want us to share?” Aoi looked at him like he was crazy. “I mean, I’m used to sharing everything with Airi, but this is kind of strange, isn’t it?”

“That’s perfect!” Airi was much more enthusiastic on the idea than her twin counterpart. “If we both date him, then neither of us has to be sad.” She turned to make her case to Aoi.

“We can’t pretend like we’re in a manga.” She responded. “Come on now, we’re in the real world. Plus, those stories end with one person winning anyway. Even if that’s not what we want to have happen.”

“Oh yeah? What about ‘Boyfriend x Boyfriend’? That show’s super popular and it worked out for them fine.” The pair of twins had greatly enjoyed watching it together at home as it aired. There were multiple reasons for their enjoyment, but they generally ranged in the area of wanting to see cute boys. “It totally works out since they cared about each other. And I know we really care about each other, so obviously we’re not going to fight.” That last statement was beyond idiotic considering the fighting that had already occurred.

“I guess if you don’t want to be a part of it. I could just date Airi instead.” Said Kichi. He didn’t want to say it, but that would be the logical conclusion at this point.

“Now it just sounds like you’re pressuring me to do it.” Aoi didn’t like the idea of that either, but there weren’t many options for her when it came to this love triangle.

“I’m not trying to.” He said, trying to comfort her. “But I want to be able to listen to my coin. So if you don’t want all three of us to be together, then I might as well go with someone who would.”

“But you don’t know if that’s what the coin wants.” Kougi attempt to dissuade him from making the final decision. Regardless of if he got both girls or just Airi. She knew she would be the odd one out at the end of the day. “Maybe it’s trying to say that neither girl is good for you.”

“I doubt it.” He responded. While he knew she was only trying to convince him otherwise due to her personal stake into this situation. Kichi also understood that there was no way both these girls were bad for him. Not after the time he had spent with them so far. “Anyway, it looks like I’m going with Ai-”

“Okay fine.” Aoi finally caved in. “I… I’m fine with sharing you.” Even though it wasn’t her preferred situation. She also knew that if she let him walk away with her own twin sister, then she would regret it for the rest of her life. “As long as it’s not too late with you.”

“No, that’s good with me.” He answered. This prompted Airi to do a celebratory dance which transitioned to hugging her sister.

“I’m so glad everything worked out.” She exclaimed. While her level of enthusiasm wasn’t shared with her sister, Aoi was also glad they were able to avoid some heartbreak. For now, at least.

“Huh, not sure what to do now.” Kichi had never been in a relationship before. He certainly had never been together with two girls at the same time. Their story didn’t end after making it official, but none of them knew what should be the next course of action.

“I suppose good for you three.” Kougi congratulated them on their newfound relationship. Though her voice didn’t sound like it as she was disappointed with this turn of events. She only wanted to mess things up for him and Airi by calling Aoi. Yet it was because of those actions that led to this strange union. “I’m happy for you, really.” A tear formed in her eye and she fought hard to keep her crying away from the twins.

“Wow you’re really happy.” Airi misunderstood in thinking those were tears of joy. Aoi didn’t say anything, but she got the impression based on her prior actions that this girl wasn’t happy about her brother getting girlfriends.

“I just want to let you two know that I’m also really happy.” Kichi walked between the twins and wrapped his arms around each of them. “I don’t really know what it takes to be a good boyfriend, but I promise that I’ll treat the two of you equally.”

And thus began a new, unexpected, chapter of his life.

And here comes the end of Vol. 3. Looks like he's now got both the twins, but things are far from over for Kichi. I just don't know what exactly that'll entail just yet. It's been a while since I've written a single story for this long consecutively. We'll just have to see.

18