Chapter 52: Rejected x Tried
186 4 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I’m not sure if we should be watching this.” Said Aoi, as they looked anyway. She was more concerned about their boyfriend walking away than whatever his sister was up to in her romantic endeavors. “Things must be pretty hard on him, so we should go help him.”

“I agree.” Said Airi. “But come on, it’ll only take another minute. After we see it, we’ll go to him.” There was no reason to watch Kougi have her first kiss, but she thought an opportunity like that didn’t swing around often at all. So the girl would’ve liked to witness what it appeared to be like from an outside perspective.

“Fine.” She returned to hiding quickly as they watched. It was only going to take a minute and Kichi didn’t expect either of them to come to him anyway. So it couldn’t hurt to check out this scene first.

The pair looked on as the couple’s were about to lock lips. However, right before the deal could be sealed. Kougi put up her hands to gently push away the boy. “Huh?” They were shocked to see how events transpired. It only got stranger as the overheard the following conversation.

“I’m sorry… I just can’t.” Said Kougi. The expression on her face explained it all. She was saddened by her inability more than anything else, but there was no way the girl could put herself through this.

“What’s wrong?” Asked Nao. “If I did something bad, just tell me and I’ll apologize.” He would do anything to make her feel better. Why wouldn’t he? That was standard action for someone who was a boyfriend and really liked his girlfriend. In her mind, he was being too good to her. Especially with what she was about to say next.

“It’s not you, it’s me.” She uttered the normal line when someone rejects a person. Though in her case, it was incredibly all on her. “I need to be honest with you, but when I accepted your confession. It wasn’t because I liked you back.”

“Really?” He looked down at the ground, hiding away his disappointment.

“I’m so sorry, I wasn’t trying to lead you on or anything.” She put a hand on his shoulder to console the boy. He looked about ready to cry from the twin’s point of view. “You’re a good guy, and I’m glad we’re classmates. But the truth is… I only accepted because I was trying to move on.”

“I didn’t realize there was anyone else you liked.” From her classmates point of view, no one saw her hanging out with other boys that often. So no one would have had a clue she was interested in anyone in the first place.

“It’s complicated, but I know he would never return my feelings.”

“Hey, Aoi.” Airi whispered over as they continued to hear her admitting the truth to her now no longer boyfriend. “Do you think she’s talking about-”
“Kichi?” They both had the same idea in mind. Aoi couldn’t believe it either, but who else could she be talking about? Well, it was entirely fair there could be another boy they’ve never seen before who had captured her heart, only to leave those feelings unrequited.

“So I wanted to try and move on.” She continued on her explanation to Nao. “I really wanted it to work, I really did.” There had been many things she had done to be happy with the arrangement. It made her glad there would be a chance to move on from Kichi, especially after everything that had happened in the past few weeks. All her giddiness from the results of getting a boyfriend were only an attempt to convince herself more than anything. “But the closer we’ve gotten, the more I realize that I haven’t moved on yet.” She knew it when she hugged Kichi earlier that day. While she was looking forward to her date, she still worried herself over how she looked to her brother instead.

“I see…” Nao got up, his head still looking downward. This was easily the biggest disappointment in his whole life. “I understand what you feel though, but I’m real sorry this couldn’t work out.”

“I’m sorry too.” She grasped his hands, shaking it. “I hope you find a girl who’ll love you so much. You really deserve someone who cares deeply about you. Much more than I ever could.” As the made their farewells, the twins were talking about an entirely different subject.

“I can’t believe this.” Said Aoi. “So she didn’t like him this whole time.” From the way she acted to them in this short period of time. They both honestly believed her feelings to be true. Admittedly that only consisted on what they had seen on this date.

“What do we do?” Asked Airi. While they both had expected they’d both go to console Kichi and talk him through his issues about his sister. “We should tell him what happened, but what about Kougi?”

“Hmm, that’s a good question.” She didn’t have a plan and anything she could’ve came up with would’ve been done in haste. Was there anything they should do for these two despite not being related to the situation. Not to mention that if they were correct in realizing that Kougi also had feelings for Kichi. That would make her a competitor and a treat to their relationship with the boy.

“There’s no choice, we’ll have to split up.” Despite being the one to ask the question. Airi took matter into her own hands and gave the twins their plan for this moment. “I’ll go talk to Kougi, you go handle Kichi.”

“And tell him what?” She asked, but there was no suggestion on what should be done. Instead, her twin sister abandoned her and rushed off to catch Kougi before she left. Without any help, she couldn’t do anything else but head off in the direction where Kichi left in. Considering his mood, it was obvious the boy would just head home and sulk in his room.

“Kougi, Kougi.” Airi went running to Kougi, barely able to stop her in her tracks.

“Huh? What are you doing here?” She hadn’t expected on seeing anyone she knew at this park. Not that it was a private spot, but considering she just had a depressing breakup it seemed to indicate the worst thought for her. That what just occurred had been witnessed by others.

“I have to apologize first.” Airi immediately went to bowing her head down and beg for forgiveness. “We were spying on your date, please don’t hate us!”

“You were spying on me?” She replied. “Wait, we? Where’s Aoi and Kichi?” The girl got real worried over the idea that her brother had watched her here. It was supposed to be a private time together. So having him be disappointed that she couldn’t work things out would likely be an issue.

“Well, they’re somewhere else right now.” Airi responded. “And well… I wanted to know about the boy you said you still had feelings for.”

“W-what do you want to know?” She had her guard up. There was no way this girl would actually consider Kichi to be the person she was in love with. No normal person would think that siblings being in love with each other would be a proper conclusion. Certainly not as a first guess.

“Is it Kichi?” That question shot an arrow straight to her heart. Why would she think him of all people. Sure it was the truth, but now Kougi was freaking out on if she had been too obvious about it in front of the twins.

“K-K-Kichi!?” She lost all composure to this hapless girl. “H-he’s my brother. I-I-I mean, that’s weird, wouldn’t it be weird?” Kougi went into full defense mode over the suggestion that she be in love with her own brother. Aside from the incestuous angle, this was also coming from someone who was currently dating Kichi as well.

Was she angry? Did she find disgust from the situation? Sure, it was Airi and not Aoi, but even this girl would find problems with certain things as well, right?

“It’s true though, isn’t it?” Airi took a calm and soft approach to her line of question. It was enough to build trust that she wouldn’t do anything bad if Kougi’s feelings were pointed in that direction.

“It’s true.” She admitted. “He’s the person I’ve fallen for, but don’t be worried or anything. I promise, I know he’s with you and your sister. So I’m not going to do anything to break that up.” Even if she had prevented any union between him and the twins upon learning of their feelings. She knew she would never try to break them up now that the relationship was official. That would be crossing the line regardless of situation. “Really, nothing’s going to happen between us.”

“I’m not worried at all.” Airi assured. “But to tell you the truth, He likes you too…”

14