[44] Third Day
96 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nikko awoke to the sounds of birds chirping. 

There was a maid in the room, and Neji Hyuuga sitting on the window seat. He was looking outside and already dressed for the day.

"I'll just set this right here," the maid said to him. He nodded.

After the maid shut the door he looked over. "Get up."

"Good morning to you too," Nikko replied.

She sat up and went over to the window, claiming the seat next to him. Neji watched as she took from the brought tray a cup of hot tea. He glared. "What are you doing?"

"Drinking tea..."

"They could have tampered with it."

She sat it back down. "But it looks good.."

"Looks can be deceiving."

Nikko frowned. "Fine. Let's just get going, then."

She pulled off her robe and let it fall down. Normally a person would be shy to be seen naked but Nikko was used to Neji by now and trusted that he wasn't perverse. Neji began the task of layering her kimono on until the seventh layer was in place, tying the sash tightly.

"Today they'll make a move," he said as he finished. "I'm going to ride with you in the carriage."

"Thank you."

"You can thank me by not dying."

Nikko frowned. Neji was sulkier than usual and lacking any warmth. "Did I do something to upset you, Neji-kun?"

"No."

He made to leave when she snagged his wrist. "I'm serious. You're...acting different."

"Pay it no mind." 

Neji left, and Nikko followed, wondering where she'd gone wrong. She had little knowledge that the true reason Neji was acting off was because he'd let her be in danger. Upon their arrival the enemy had already been placed, and he hadn't thought it would happen that soon. He'd let down his guard, and she'd gotten hurt as a result. He was angry with himself.

Nikko declined breakfast, instead having Shikamaru cook something from their brought supply. Hot eggs and bacon. She ate it quietly, elegantly. Afterwards she bade the Inn goodbye and got into her carriage alongside Neji. He was tightly compressed to her side as the norimono was small.

They took off--

It wasn't long and Nikko was fanning herself, trying not to sweat off her makeup. "It's so hot," she whined.

"I agree. They could have made the norimono with a lighter wood, like bamboo. At least then it would provide more air." Neji replied. It seemed he was sweating, too, and a drip fell from his cheek.

The ride was silent for a time. All until Neji's eyes perked up. "I'm getting a chakra reading....byakugan!" 

Neji could see that in front of them were a battalion of warriors. It looked like they were laying in wait for them to pass by. "Up ahead. There's enemies--and one man has three swords. I'm betting that would be Yokai."

"Yokai...so he really did escape, after all." Nikko shivered, thinking of how close she'd came to be whisked away by him. "He must be stronger than we thought, to get free so easily."

"According to what he told Sakura-san, he knows about your Time Jutsu. We can't afford to wait for him to make the first move."

Nikk nodded. She grabbed the katana on her lap. "Right. I'll Stop Time, and we'll take them all down."

He scowled at her, "And if they have a way to out wit your little plan?"

"Er..." she faltered a little, before saying, "I'll go in alone. You'll be my backup."

The silver of his eyes glinted. He took her katana away. "No. That's foolish."

"But--I can do this. You've been training me, remember? And with the Time Jutsu--"

Neji Hyuuga pushed her to the carriage wall. "You've already been hurt once. The Time Jutsu won't always be effective. There will be a time when it won't work."

But the girl wouldn't back down. She was a genin now, and had to prove her worth to the team and the mission. Mostly to herself. "I'm doing this. Neji-kun, have faith in me."

He growled. With a little more pushing he closed in to her ear, saying, "...It's not you I'm worried about."

"What do you mean?" Her breath came a little faster. The hotness of his touch seared into her neck, warming all over.

"Do what you must." He let her go. "Before you Stop Time, I need to tell the others your plan."

He leaned out the window and beckoned for Shikamaru. After telling him Nikko's plan, the genius frowned. "Don't like that one bit," he replied. "Puts our mission objective in direct risk."

"I can do this, Shika-kun. You know I can!" Nikko was practically seething now. She was useful; her Jutsu was almost cheating. "Just--get my back!"

After biting her thumb and swiping blood across her eyelids she angrily performed, "Jikan henko no jutsu!"

The carriage appeared to stop. Only Neji, Shikamaru, and Lee were still alert and unfrozen. Her chakra had expanded to include just those. It was tricky to hold time for more than one person, which meant she was expending precious chakra, but her plan had to work. "Okay. Step one is done," she said. She grabbed her katana and left the carriage. "...Trust me," she said over her shoulder.

Nikko found it hard to run like a shinobi in her thick kimono but did so anyway, drawing her blade from it's hilt and tossing the scabbard aside. The metal glint, showing her determined face back at her, disguised as Yuki Mizu.

"Here we go!"

She reached the group of thugs, frozen. But there wasn't any Tengu Yokai to be seen. "He's the master mind behind it all," she said, stabbing the thugs in the chest. Non vital injuries, but they wouldn't be able to retaliate anytime soon. 

Behind her Shikamaru and Neji waited in the trees.

"Nikko!" Shikamaru yelled, "Get down!"

She dropped to a squat. A katana sailed from where she'd stood. Looking around, it was unclear where it came from. Neji hopped down in front of her. "...He's over there," Neji said, pointing. "Looks like I was right."

"But how? I froze time--" she began, but Neji blocked something. It was another sword. Blood ran down his white bandages. "Get out of here. I'll handle this," he said to Nikko.

"No! I can reverse time, too--"

Neji glared at her so hard Nikko swallowed her protest and stood.

"..Fine." She ran off through the forest, watching for movement over her shoulder.

Neji faced his enemy.

Yokai dropped from the trees above. There was a sword in his mouth. He took it out, the blade slicing into his lips. Neji watched as he licked it off.

"...The Byakugan. Quite useful." Yokai said.

"How did you get past her Time Jutsu?" Neji demanded. He put his hands outwards in case of attack.

"Time can't affect a demon." Yokai smirked, swinging his blade on his shoulder. His golden eyes glint like amber as a sadistic smirk formed. "But a little trinket I have is the player in that. You should just give up now; I won't stop until I've gotten my revenge and the girl."

Shikamaru's shadow spanned outwards to trap Yokai. 

Yokai's eyes narrowed and he side stepped the shadow possession, cutting the darkness with his katana.

Shikamaru's chakra was severed, and he squat down in exhaustion. "He cut through my attack! Just who is this guy?!"

Lee, who'd watched, pumped his fist. "Let me try. If ninjutsu cannot defeat him, then my taijutsu will surely work!" He dropped down beside Neji. 

Yokai smirked as Lee came at him with his fist raised. They began hand to hand combat, but Lee couldn't block all of Yokai's defense, and landed on his back beside Neji. "...He is strong," Lee strained. "It's like he's a different person.."

"Correct." Yokai answered. He raised his sword. "I have two forms. The one you faced before was my night time form--he's a little weaker, but excellent with the ladies."

Neji swallowed. So they were dealing with someone with two personalities? "I see. So you must come out during the day," Neji guessed. 

Yokai didn't answer.

His katana began to glow purple. Chakra shot off from it, covering Tengu in it's purple hue. "Haaa! This is your last chance to get away while you still can! When I go all out, nothing is safe!"

Shikamaru's brow sweat. Whoever this guy was, he was out of this world strong. He got into his thinking pose. And came up empty--there wasn't anything he could strategize! He needed more time to think, to see the power he had to face.

"Neji-kun, get out of there!" Shikamaru shouted down. 

Neji held firm, shaking his head. "Our mission is to protect Yuki Mizu. I will fight him. Get Nikko to safety, now."

Shikamaru nodded. "...Fine. Don't lose, you hear me?"

"Understood."

 

 

Nikko stopped jumping from the trees and caught her breath. She wanted nothing more than to tear off the damn layers and go naked. "Ha..ha...I hope they're doing okay," she said aloud.

Instead of undressing she grabbed her katana tightly, holding it out in front of her. "There may be more who can get past my jutsu. I have to be ready--"

She heard a sound. Nikko turned, and was knocked from the limb she was on to the ground with a thud.

The samurai from last night, who'd murdered the assassin smirked down at her. In his hands was a large katana. "Sharp reflexes, little girl. Wonder how long you can keep that up!"

Nikko rolled just in time. The blade sank down into the ground where her head was. "Kya!"

"We didn't formally meet. I'm Aoi-sans' guard--Toguro."

He pulled out the blade and swiped it across her right arm. Blood spurted out; Nikko had been cut badly. She did another half roll and got to one knee, holding her injury.

Her katana lay by his sandal. He picked it up and tossed it to her. "Take it. Die with honor!"

Nikko shakily held her katana in her left arm, putting it in front of her. Immediately he took off to her, and her clogs drug through the ground as she blocked his downward slice.

"Huk..." she strained, glaring up at him. 

Her chakra was running out. Which meant that wherever Neji and the others were, they'd be back in real time soon.

"Die!" Toguro shouted, swinging the blade down again. She rose hers to meet him but was unable to stop it completely. The underside of his blade pierced into her shoulder. She grit her teeth and pushed as hard as she could against him, before spitting in his eyes.

"You--bitch," he roared, swiping away her saliva.

Nikko smirked and hobbled backward. Her injuries were severe but she could reverse time and fix it, if she had the chance--

"I can see the resolve in your eyes." Toguro said. He watched as blood dripped from both her hands to the dirt below. "I was told to spare you. But you know our plan. Pity. It would have been great to watch the world burn with you." 

Toguro rose his blade again, sliding his foot back--

--just as Shikamaru dropped down, snagged Nikko and took off through the trees.

"Shit! You're bleeding all over the place," Shikamaru said. 

"I'm fine. Is Neji-kun okay?" 

"Dunno. Dammit, he's coming. Nikko--go on ahead. I'm going to stall him. Go to Naruto-kun."

Nikko shook her head. "No. I'm sorry, Shika-kun, but I'm not leaving behind another team member."

His dark eyes widened. Then they narrowed. "I appreciate it. But as your Squad Leader, I'm giving you a order!"

"No! I can fix this!" 

Using her index finger she used the dripping blood and did the hand signs for a Time Reversal. But before she could do the last sign fell over, panting. 

"Nikko! Damn, damn, damn!" Shikamaru picked her up onto his shoulder. "You've lost way too much blood."

"Shika...I can't feel my arms," Nikko said. "Pretty sure that's ...a bad thing."

"H-hang in there Nikko!" He placed her against a tree trunk and quickly did Shadow Possession Technique.

Toguro was caught in it, but was struggling.

"It won't hold for long." Shikamaru said. He extended his right hand and so did Toguro. He rose his hand, as did his captive, making Toguro hold himself as hostage. 

"End of the line," Shikamaru growled. With a strain he mimed slicing his neck. 

Toguro fought with the possession but did as instructed; his neck split open and blood spurted out. 

Shikamaru released his jutsu as his enemy fell down in a puddle of blood. "Ha..ha..."

He turned to Nikko. Her purple eyes were fading as her consciousness left. "Nikko!" He grabbed her shoulders, shaking her. "Wake up!"

"...Shi...ka..." her left arm lifted, smearing blood on his cheek before she went limp.

"Don't do this to me, Nikko!"

 

 

Neji got distracted. He could feel a large chakra vanishing, his eyes flicked backward. It was Nikkos'--

"--Uwah!"

Tengu unleashed his purple chakra and a beast rose up from his blade. It's large mouth opened. Neji bent down, activated byakugan and said, "64 Palms!"

His barrier was able to put the beast at bay.

While his body moved almost on it's own accord, Neji's stomach was twisting into knots. Nikko was in danger. It was likely she'd been killed already, if what he sensed was true. But he had a mission to do, an enemy to face.

With determination he finished his defense and began an offense. Tengu smirked as Neji closed in, doing hand to hand combat so fast that Tengu was pushed further and further back until bumping into a tree trunk.

"So skilled," Tengu said. His blade slashed across Neji's stomach area but he avoided the hit by curving his spine. It was a narrow margin that saved his innards.

Neji landed some blows to his face, rocking Tengu's head backwards. Spit flew from his mouth.

He had an opening. Neji flattened his hand, "Gentle fist!" 

Tengu spat blood and lowered to the ground. He held his chest, golden eyes wide. "I, I can't be defeated here," he said. "My beautiful Aoi...she's depending on me."

"Give it up. It ends here." Neji used gentle fist again right to the center of his chest. Using the byakugan he could that Tengu's heart convulsed before bursting.

"Aoi---I failed you, Aoi--" Tengu fell back, katana falling to his side. 

 

1