Ch. 24 – Silence breeds trouble
787 7 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Hrngh", Chloe is waking up.

"Good morning, sunshine. Slept well?"

"W-what are you doing in my room, you creep!?"

"I could hardly leave without either leaving the door open or locking you in - and I'd think you want neither. Also, I wanted to make sure that there are no side effects from the familiar bond."

"Wait, that was real? I, I thought this was just a nightmare."

"Afraid it is", I point towards my neck.

"What do you...", she touches the spot where I bit her, the bite marks are still visible, "oh, crap. What have I... what have I done..."

"Is it all coming back to you?"

"Yes..."

"Does anything hurt or feel off?"

"Apart from everything, not really. I, I just have to get used... to being under your control... slave to a monster..."

"Are you really? I don't think I have any unnatural control over you or anything."

She looks up surprised, "You don't? Then what else is that for?"

"It mostly forces us to be on 'friendly' terms. And also lets me share a skill or three with my familiars later on."

"Sorry, I don't believe that. You went through a lot of effort back there and I don't buy that you're that bad at making friends", she's very upset while saying that for some reason.

"Ouch, that hurt. Well, if you don't believe me how about a simple test? I command you to kiss me."

"How about no, perv? ...why did I even consider it for a moment..."

"See, you're still yourself. Mostly."

"Yeah, no. Something inside of me wanted to follow your command, it was faint but it was there. You're definitely up to something."

"Chloe, I mean the things I said yesterday. I want, I need to coexist with the humanoids here. We need each other if we want to end the threat of the demons."

"No, we don't need you! We just need to endure until the gods send us another 'Lost Child' and then they'll turn everything around. They'll know what needs to be done. They have to."

"Sure, just like all the 'Lost Ones' in the past managed to end the demon menace once and for all."

"Don't be like that. It may be true that the 28 'Lost Children' may not have saved us forever but they still gave us a lot of hope."

Wait, only 28? Didn't Eva say it were 59? Where'd the rest go?

"...what if I told you that they can't send anymore? What if... they've already done all they could?"

"Where's your proof? The gods would never abandon us!"

Elly chimes in, (stop being stubborn and just show her the 'Lost One' symbol... you've really nothing to gain by antagonizing her now.)

(I'm never sure with you if you try to play the shoulder angel or shoulder devil.)

(Neither, I've only your best interest at heart. I want to live, well, exist. When you mistake dust for a vein I'll also perish.)

"Have you been to the church recently? Or tried to pray? There's no response! The gods have left you!"

"That can't be..."

"Go and try if you don't believe me."

"...I'll, I'll do that."

(...I'm afraid this was a big mistake.)

(I know but I still don't trust the 'familiar' status.)

"Sorry to break it to you like that, I know I should've handled that better. I'm... not good with dealing with this social stuff. I'm truly sorry about this. But I need your help if we want to make it through all of this. And for that, I don't want to rely on lies."

"Yeah, I've noticed..."

"One other thing, I'm curious about something. Yesterday you said that you can't afford to hold back anything but here you go wasting over half your SP on 'makeup'. How come?"

"A monster like you wouldn't understand. We morphs... aren't pleasant to look at."

"Can it really be worse than having a vampire running around unchecked?"

"...okay, you're asking for it..."

She undoes her transformation. Whatever her form is supposed to be it wouldn't be misplaced in an H.P. Lovecraft story.

Her skin takes an unhealthy blue-grey shade, black holes replace her eyes, two rows of triangular-shaped teeth fill her mouth, her arms gain a second set of elbows... And whatever other kinds of wrongness I may have missed. Good thing I'm immune to regular mind effects?

After about a minute she goes back to her 'human' imitation form.

"Happy now?"

"Yeah, it is... quite something to take it... sorry for asking."

"It's... fine. People don't really hate us morphs, we still count as 'human' but everyone still finds our true appearance unsettling and I understand why. Now would you be so kind and leave? I've to get ready for work and I'd rather not have someone see you here and start asking questions. Can you tell the others that I'll not come to training for a couple of days? Tell them I'm feeling a bit sick and will only do some basic paperwork."

"Sure, also make sure to cover up the bite marks. They got through your disguise."

"Yeah, right. I don't usually cover up scratches and wounds."

I go to the practice hall and arrive first. Today everyone is on time for a change. I inform them of Chloe's absence and everyone does their thing as if nothing had changed. So I do the same. My increased SP now lets me train for one more hour than before, which means like 3 more exp per day compared to spending that hour reading. Am I that much of a slow reader? Well, it doesn't use SP so I guess that difference is fair.

Later when I climb on top of the fortress walls to unleash my few spells I'm greeted by new faces - the flood composition has changed, most of the old types seem to be depleted and in their stead are new ones. Math Rabbits and Zombies I've met in the dungeon, though the latter don't take well to the sun so are unlikely to even reach the gate. But there are also some monster types I've never met before.

Name <none>
Age N/A
Classes Snolem 4
Race Generic Monster 4
Extra Monster 4
HP 2880/2880
MP 456/456
SP 1992/1992
STR 480
DEX 144
VIT 408
MAG 192
FTH 144
WIL 528
CHA 48
Skills Snow Cannon 4, Ice Resistance 4
Weakness Fire

A walking snowman with a nasty skill, I wonder why it doesn't melt in the sun like the zombies but that's probably monsters for you; they don't have to make sense...

Snow Cannon
500 MP
Ranged ice attack with 200% magic attack power.
Inflicts damage to targets in the target area.

(So it can't use that skill at the current level. Why do I get the feeling we'll be sieged later by high-level versions that will cause massive trouble with that attack?)

Name <none>
Age N/A
Classes Teddy Warrior 3
Race Generic Monster 3
Extra Monster 3
HP 2645/2645
MP 345/345
SP 1840/1840
STR 414+53
DEX 299
VIT 184
MAG 138
FTH 161
WIL 47
CHA 115
Equipment Monster Axe
Skills Axe Training 3
Weakness Fire

Take a teddy bear, make it the size of a teenager, give it a frown and an axe and you have this monster.

And last what I assume to be the biggest troublemaker of the new bunch:

Name <none>
Age N/A
Classes Necromancer 7, Cleric 4
Race Generic Monster 7
Extra Monster 7, Elite 7
HP 4535/4535
MP 3982/4019
SP 2715/2715
STR 394
DEX 373
VIT 198
MAG 613
FTH 334
WIL 387
CHA 377
Skills Animate Dead 7
Cure Magic 4 (Rank 1)
Weakness Light

And sure enough the skill...

Animate Dead
1 MP, 1 corpse
Create a zombie-type monster of (skill level) level from the target corpse.
The zombie keeps general classes and features of its original but limited to (skill level) levels.
Does not grant control over the created zombie.

(That skill is as good as free to use... given enough corpses they can just overrun any defense position.)
(So same as before. There was no end in sight to the monsters already. This barely changes anything.)

And true enough to their 'NPC status' the necromancers make a beeline for the nearest monster corpses they can find and animate them without even considering that they'll perish in the sunlight before achieving anything.

Between the absence of monsters with an ice weakness and more bulky ones, my overall damage contribution takes a hit.

Your 'Rock Fall' spell has inflicted a total of 309601 damage.

'Rock Fall'? More like pebbles... what was worth around 300 exp before is now around 220 exp, sitting at 725 exp total now. I really need a better element... well, and more magic power and MP of course as well. Just levels in general, I guess.

Huh?, (Did you see that as well, Elly?)

(No, what did you see?)

(Not sure. I think there was some movement in the moat below.)

(I see nothing and [appraise] doesn't pick up a target either.)

(Strange... then I probably just imagined it.)

I won't deal any lasting damage with those necro-clerics around but I may at least get them to burn some of their MP on healing others.

Your 'Rock Blast' spell has inflicted a total of 5822 damage and 5 status effects.

And as expected they rush over and heal the afflicted ones, which should save us a couple of hundred zombies at least.

Jack waits for me next to the stairs as usual, "hey Jack, how will you ditch me today?"

"Oh, quite easily in fact. I don't accompany you at all."

"How come?"

"I, uh, was told that someone important wants to meet you in front of the church. That's honestly all I know."

"That sounds stupid and suspicious even for you. Tell me at least who it is."

"No idea."

"Really?"

"Really."

"God, you are useless. And why wouldn't you at least bring me there?"

"It seems I've messed up something again so I am to have a talk with Therese, again. She seems extra pissed today."

"You never learn, do you?"

"Nope."

"Fine, keep your head on your shoulders, I might need you as a meat shield someday."

"Heh, sure. See you later."


POV: Therese

knock knock

"Come in, it's open."

Chloe enters my office. She looks absolutely awful, pale and is shaking. Whatever happened to her?

"Chloe? How can I help you?"

"I don't know what to do anymore, I've made a big mistake..."

"Ok, first sit down, take a deep breath and then explain. I don't know yet what you're talking about. But I'll try to help as much as I can."

"Right..."

"Wait a moment, I'll get us some tea. You look like you need something to calm your nerves."

I quickly go to the kitchen. I order one of the staffers to prepare us some tea and deliver it to my office. When I get back to my room Chloe has at least managed to sit down.

"Sorry, they didn't have any tea ready but will prepare and deliver some soon."

"I don't mind."

"Now mind filling me in on what has happened? You look horrible."

"...", it looks like she tries to speak up but can't for some reason.

Name Chloe
Status disguised, fear, panic, confused, charmed
Age 20
Classes Sentinel 14, Survivor 18, Captain 13, Scout 12
Race Changeling 17
Extra none
HP 2500/3377
MP 1615/1615
SP 1658/1658 [3658]
STR 546+115
DEX 558+5
VIT 601+95
MAG 311
FTH 298
WIL 413+15
CHA 384
Equipment Reinforced Spear, Half Plate, Iron Helm
Skills Armor Training 14, Spear Training 18
Create Food&Water 18
Opportunity Attack 14
Battle Order 13, Guard Order 13
Disguise 17, Low Profile 17
Danger Sense 12, Dexterity Boost 12, Tracking 17, Trap Lore 18
Weakness Wind

"What's with all those statuses? No wonder your head is such a mess..."

"Yeah..."

"Then I suspend you from your duties effective immediately until you're clear in the head again. In your current state, you're too much of a threat to your own well-being."

Normally I don't like playing favorites, I really shouldn't but she's one of my only friends...

"But-"

"No buts! Now, please, tell me what's going on. I want to help you but I need to know with what."

"I don't think I can..."

"I believe in you, you can tell me anything. If you didn't want to you wouldn't have come to me today, right? Just start somewhere, whatever is easiest for you. Just get it out and everything will be better, trust me."

"I, I'll try. But it is... difficult."

Chloe takes a moment to gather her thoughts, "so I was at the church earlier today... Jared told me something disturbing and I had to check if it was true."

"What do you mean?"

"He said that God has abandoned us. He won't send us another 'Lost One', we're on our own now."

"How does that relate to the church?"

"I tried to pray. I know most prayers just aren't answered but this time it was actively rejected."

"...that's quite something to take in. But how would a vampire know about that?"

"I... don't know."

"I didn't take you for such a pious one... and I don't see how that revelation changes anything for you. It hasn't been that long since the last one, we weren't likely to see one in our lifetime anyways."

"Th-that's not the bad part yet."

knock knock

"Yes?"

"Your tea."

"Ah, yes, please bring it in."

One of the staffers comes in and serves us the tea.

"Thanks", I tell him. The man leave again as quickly as he arrived.

Chloe takes a gem out of her inventory, "Jared gave me this."

"A truth gem? Just like that? How?"

"After we were done in our dungeon trip yesterday he continued on his own."

"I take it that gem didn't come cheap?"

"He gave me the gem and a ton of food for 'free', as a sign of goodwill, probably. He alone made about as much food as my whole group in a month."

"That sounds good so far, we need all the food we can get with the limited production and all those refugees around. What's the catch?"

"A couple of things. He wants a Class Core, information on the 'Lord's Mansion', that we... give him free reign over the people of the slums basically... and..."

"That almost sounds like he'd be a vampire noble planning a takeover. Bring him here, we can use the truth gem to sort this out."

"Don't bother. I've... confirmed he wasn't the one that caused the ghoul outbreak", she's clearly struggling to get those words out.
"...Chloe, what else aren't you telling me?"

She undoes a part of her transformation, two holes appear in her neck, "see that? I've... accepted the deal. The final condition was... some of my blood..."

"You stupid... why did you accept that! The mere fact that it didn't kill you means you'll turn into one of those monsters yourself!"

"It, it doesn't. He has a unique skill that prevents all side effects."

"I can't believe you. If you don't care about yourself at least consider how it would affect those that care about you, your friends."

"Friends? What friends? I don't have any! Everyone... just avoids me because I'm a changeling."

"What about me? Aren't we friends?"

"When do we ever interact outside of work? Never. And Jared, he made me feel needed, wanted. Even when I insisted he respect the military hierarchy he treated me like an 'equal' despite seeing through my disguise. He was a bit rough about it but it felt like the right thing to go along with his plan."

"Sorry, but that just hurt. I, I thought you understood. I know I'm always buried in my work but wasn't I always there when you needed me?"

"...I don't know. You were willing to listen, yes, but it always felt like it was just for the sake of work and not because we're 'friends'."

"Is that so, I... I understand, I'll try to work on being a better friend in the future. Now you said it was a 'deal', now how do we get out of it?"

"I don't think we should try to cancel it. Please."

"...then tell me what you think we get out of it. Cause I don't see the worth of it. Almost lost a friend already and now you're asking me to give up any hope for the slum dwellers completely."

"I, I don't really know. I don't fully trust him but the gem has verified everything he has told me so far. It is weird. It seems like he wants to get along with everyone and it is only his dietary needs that get in the way of that."

"Do you really feel that way?"

"I think so, yes."

"Fine, then I'll play along. But promise me that next time you won't follow a monster just because you need a friend. You have me for that."

"Thanks, that... means a lot to me."

Normally I'd say no, I don't negotiate with monsters but Chloe needs my help... "Ok, so first thing. We've absolutely no say over what happens in the slums. I hate sacrificing them but as we discussed last time we don't have the manpower to stop him. Maybe we could tell the nightguards that he is allowed to be outside at night... well, these are all the concessions I can make. Whatever happens in the slums happens."

"Ok, I'll tell him that."

"Info on the 'Lord's Mansion', I don't want to give that to a potential vampire noble on the chance that he can take it over. If he truly wants that info bring him with you next time", my eyes land on the truth gem, "that risk is not something I want to take lightly."

"I already told you-"

"That he is not responsible for the ghouls? Yes, but that doesn't exclude the possibility that there are two or more vampire nobles."

"..."

"Face it, you are in no condition to make any sound judgments at the moment. And the last thing he wants another Class Core... that is a steep cost for some extra food every week but as long as he keeps contributing against the flood monsters I have no objection."

"Thanks."

"He'll get that when you bring him for the other discussion."

"A-alright."

My dear Chloe, I don't know what he did to you but you're behaving suspiciously.

knock knock

Who's it this time? "Come in."

Jack enters the room, "so you called for me again?"

"Yeah, but something came up. Can you come back later? Let's say in two hours."

"Yeah, sure. I can do that. See you around."

Chloe's story is one as old as time: she's 'different', people only tolerate her while she wears a mask of 'normalcy'. She just wanted to feel at home somewhere be it family or friends but no one accepts her true self - until a shady figure comes around that seems to want to be her friend but only manipulates her for their own gain. Luckily for Chloe Jared is not a complete asshole.

If it didn't come across properly: what Chloe tries to tell Therese requires her to sell out her new 'friend' Jared, the familiar bond says no to that and so puts her under the charm status.

35