Ch. 23 – …and ed
766 14 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Geoffrey, Kay, Allen, Marca and Gabella hand their spoils from the trip to Chloe then head off to... do whatever it is they do after exhausting themselves. Ah crap, I forgot again to check their stats. I hope this won't become a running joke with the punchline that one of them is the final boss...

After they are gone Chloe comes over to me, "You coming?"

"Do you have a moment first? I've... something important to discuss. And I'd rather not do that in public."

She sounds suspicious of me but still agrees, "Does it have to do with... Alright, we can talk in my office."

Elly questions me, (What exactly are you planning?)

(I got my hands on a lot of food that is useless to me but the people here desperately need. If I play my cards right I might get a lot out of this.)

She objects, (You don't really have many cards to play, so to say. How often and far you can go in the dungeon is pretty much limited by your stack of blood packs.)

(I know what I'm doing, hopefully.)

We head over to the building with the vault where we left the spoils from the dungeon visit last time. Before entering it we take a turn right, "My office is a bit further in."

We go to a small room a bit further behind in the building. Once we're inside she locks the door and puts the key on the table. Despite her saying it is her office it looks more or less the same as my room; a bed, a desk, two chairs, some drawers, not much else.

After we sit down she gets down to business, "So what did you want to talk about?", she sighs, "You better not tell me that you're already starving..."

I prepare myself, "So you ordered me to preserve my MP while in the dungeon. I may have ignored that. My curiosity got the better of me so after all of you left, I went back and killed a few monsters", I hand her a quarter of the food drops.

She is surprised, "A few? That's a lot of food! About as much as the rest of the group combined. How, how long did you spend in there?"

"I've about twice as much left if you want it. Took a couple of days though, why?"

Color leaves her face, "Don't you understand what that means? You have to remember that you are a vampire now. You may feel fine right now but eventually the hunger WILL catch up to you. You'll fall into a frenzy! We-we can't afford to lose you... as a mage you are very much needed... ", she sighs, "Even if all of our groups pull their dungeon loot together there are honestly not enough blood vials to properly feed one vampire per week, let alone two or three - and then you add even more strain with an extended dungeon visit. Please don't do this to me..."

"Hey, I'm not just a tool!"

Chloe sounds apologetic, "Sorry, force of habit. I... no, I've no excuse for that. But please keep in mind that I've many people I'm responsible for. I can't afford to hold back... if I screw up a lot of people will die to the monster flood."

"Doesn't mean you can't be a bit less blunt about it."

She needs a moment to collect herself, "Please, tell me honestly, how are you holding up?"

"Mostly fine, though I'm getting a bit hungry."

Chloe frowns, "Was afraid so. Please don't keep that up, I don't want a starving vampire breathing on my neck."

"I'm guessing that that's why you've tasked Jack with 'observing' me?", I air-quote.

She feigns ignorance, "What do you mean?"

"I'm not dumb. He conveniently leaves whenever no one looks so that I can enter the slums 'unobserved'. Do I have to spell out what happens next?", I may have pulled a Hagrid there...

"No, I... I can guess. It is honestly pretty much expected", she is visibly pained from having to admit that, "If it was up to me we wouldn't sacrifice any of the slum dwellers. But I tell myself that their sacrifice is somehow for the greater good. Please don't take that from me."

"So it is pretty much an open secret."

"P-pretty much", she looks like she is about to cry.

Name Chloe
Status disguised, fear, panic
Age 20
Classes Sentinel 14, Survivor 18, Captain 13, Scout 12
Race Changeling 17
Extra none
HP 1824/3377
MP 1615/1615
SP 98/1658 [3658]
STR 546+133
DEX 558+5
VIT 601+95
MAG 311
FTH 298
WIL 413+15
CHA 384
Equipment Reinforced Spear, Half Plate, Iron Helm
Skills Armor Training 14, Spear Training 18
Create Food&Water 18
Opportunity Attack 14
Battle Order 13, Guard Order 13
Disguise 17, Low Profile 17
Danger Sense 12, Dexterity Boost 12, Tracking 17, Trap Lore 18
Weakness Wind

I didn't even use a skill and she's already suffering from fear and panic... when you consider that I pretty much just implied that I've killed several people on her watch, it is quite understandable. With how game-like everything else seems, I sometimes forget that some aspects are still 'real' and behave like they should. You don't have to get hit by a fear ray to rightfully feel fear.

It might backfire on me big time but I need to put my plan into action now. I take out the truth gem I got from the boss, "You know what this is, right?"

She stares at the jewel, "Where did you - "

"I defeated a boss and it dropped this as a souvenir. Also found out the hard way that the boss could cross six floors, not just three. Just FYI."

"What? You defeated a boss monster?", she goes silent for a moment, "That can't be. How - "

"Not important."

She jumps at me, "Not important? It very much is! I doubt you managed to reach the tenth floor alone in just a day or two!"

I admit, "I was in the dungeon a bit over ten days actually."

She looks at the green shining gem and goes pale.

"Chloe? Hey, Chloe? Are you still with us?"

Chloe tries to process what she has heard, "Uh, yes... ten days... are you serious... there's no way you... won't frenzy any moment now."

"I don't know about 'frenzy' but as I said I'm getting a bit hungry. Maybe you are up for a... trade?"

This probably sounds more threatening than I wanted. I need to get the discussion back on track before it escalates, "Chloe, let me tell you a secret. I may have taken a bite or two from the people in the slums but no one died because of it", Chloe's eyes are glued on the green glow, "as long as neither of us does anything stupid now, it can stay that way."

She clearly refused to believe what I said, "How's that possible?"

"I have a rare skill for that."

"...alright", she's visibly shaking.

Uh, have I said something wrong?

"S-say", she stutters," how did the blood from the vials taste like? ...though I feel like I would regret it if you told me the truth about that."

"Honestly, it tasted disgusting, like dirt. Still have two of them on me."

"...is that so... so are you-", it seems like she has a frightening suspicion.

"What I wanted to get at is I'd prefer if you kept quiet about this whole meeting. Just let me continue to clear the dungeon by myself after everyone else has left, I'll leave most of the item drops with you, they are useless to me anyways."

Chloe inquiries, "And w-what is in it for you?"

"Honestly, not much. I just want you to cooperate with me. Maybe perform two or three little favors."

Finally, she asks the big question that is on her mind, "...tell me. Are you, are you a noble?"

"I assume you want to know specifically if I'm a 'Vampire Noble'?"

She nods.

"Then I have to disappoint you. I never for a moment was one. From the moment I was created I was already a 'Vampire Lord'."

She flinches, "I, I see... I... understand. It all makes sense now... I-I'm not getting out of this alive, am I?"

"That is entirely up to you. You may not believe me but I don't have any intention to harm you or other people, at least not in a lasting way. So don't worry about the details too much. Just trust me and all will be perfectly fine. I may need a little bit of your help but I promise I won't ask anything of you that you'll find unreasonable."

Chloe is clearly fearing for her life, "And w-what do you want me to do?"

"I want reassurance. Make Jack's 'negligence' as good as an official thing, meaning I get permission to do whatever in the slums."

"But many would suffer...", she protests.

"That's already how it is anyway. Or tell me another way how I can get some blood without it becoming a problem for anyone, especially me. I'm fine either way."

"I don't know -"

"Then I want information regarding the 'Lord's Mansion'. I know it has been vacant for ages but I want to know what the exact consequences and effects are."

Her voice trembles, "You don't plan on taking it over, do you?"

"As if I could. Even if I met the last requirement, I'd just have a riot on my ass within minutes, am I right?"

She agrees, "Yeah, I-I guess so."

"Unless of course, you want me to? Then I'd be totally up for it", not really but a bit of intimidation can't hurt, though I'm probably taking a bit too much joy from the teasing, "And lastly, I want some payback for the takedown a few days ago. Some of your blood should suffice, maybe every two months? Alternatively, you could become my servant."

"So you do carry a grudge..."

"I wanted to let it slide. But I HATE when people can't see me as anything but a tool to exploit!"

"I-if that is what it takes... it's a price I'm willing to pay", tears roll from her eyes, "just promise me that you won't kill anyone else."

"Why would I? It is in my personal interest that you stay alive!"

"...", Chloe.EXE has stopped responding again.

Elly chimes in, (What are you waiting for? Make her your [Familiar]!)

(What? Why? That wasn't what I wanted to achieve.)

My little mind mate is perplexed, (You don't? Huh, could've fooled me. From my view, it totally looked like you wanted to. And it seems like she expects something like this as well.)

(...I don't... feel like I should.)

She reassures me, (Trust me, it is for the best. It won't change her personality or anything. The only thing that changes is that she can't become hostile to you!)

(Urgh, fine. For your sake I hope the dark side has delicious cookies.)

Darth Mindbug cheers, (Of course! Only the best! ... erm, I mean, what are you talking about? We're totally the good guys here, pinky promise!)

(If I was, I would have just shown her the 'Lost One' title and not tortured her like that.)

She sighs, (Good isn't always nice, and you said yourself that you can't afford the risk yet. I'm seeing it a bit differently but in the end, you are the boss.)

(Right.)

I stand up, walk over to Chloe and lay my hand on her shoulder. I 'want' her to become my familiar and after a moment I feel that something has changed, she seemingly doesn't resist it.

You have taken Chloe as your familiar.
You currently have 1/1 familiar(s).

I ask her, "How do you feel?"

She forces herself to answer, "Still terrified, though not nearly as much as before. And a bit lightheaded... But for some reason I can't bring myself to dislike you anymore... what exactly have you done to me?"

"I've taken you as my familiar. I've never had one before so I don't know exactly what that means. The skill description just says that you will always be at least 'friendly' towards me. Well, that sounds wrong when I put it like that."

She chuckles, "Maybe a little bit."

"And the other thing it does is that it allows me to share one of my skills with you. Though that choice is final and the same for all my familiars if I should take more, so I'd rather not make a hasty decision there."

Chloe agrees, "...that's understandable."

"Feel good enough to bring the dungeon loot to the vault?", I try to get up from my chair.

She stops me, "No, let's... talk a bit more. I've... so many questions right now."

"Fine by me", I sit down again.

"There's one thing I absolutely must know. A-are you... responsible for the ghoul outbreak?"

"I don't know who caused it", I suspect that I'm at fault but I'm not certain and the gem agrees by staying green.

Chloe accepts that answer, "...fine."

"Mind if you put that crystal away? Otherwise, we'll deplete it within the day."

"Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Therese will already be pissed enough that it is down to", she checks her inventory, "43%. The last one we found in the dungeon had at least 80%, this one must have been what? 47-50% maybe? Well, that's nothing we can change."

"Well, I might have tried to find some things out by questioning myself. Didn't go too well."

She responds, "That shouldn't take too many charges either. Anyway, do you really intend to keep going to the dungeon and let us have at least the food items?"

"Yes, it is exactly as I told you. To me that food is useless and selling it to someone for profit while half the people here are starving, would feel kinda unethical to me. Before I forget, here's the rest of the food", I transfer the remaining food-related loot to her.

She checks the items I've transferred to her, "So much... Tell me, why do you care? You are a vampire, a lord even, we're just... food to you."

"You are not thinking long term. If all of you die then I can't get any blood from you anymore and will just starve."

"I don't get it. Why are you so different from the other vampires we've had to deal with?"

"Either because they are greedy idiots or... sorry, that's... not something I'm willing to tell just yet."

"Alright...", now she looks like a dejected puppy. All the hints of fear seem to finally be gone.

"There's something I want to achieve by my own power and not just because of some title I was given. After that, I can tell you."

"I can live with that. Last thing I need to know - how could you go so long without blood? To my knowledge as a Vampire Lord you can't survive on monster blood anymore, no matter how strong you are, and you were over a week down there."

"That's also related to the other reason so you'll just have to be patient for that answer as well. Just know that I can't repeat that for too long, maybe another year or two on this side. That's all I'll say."

"Fine...", she's way too easily satisfied with my non-answer. Maybe that's a side effect of becoming my familiar?

"Are that all questions for now?"

Chloe nods, "Yeah. I just need to think about what I can tell Therese where I got all that food from without exposing any of your secrets."

"That's just asking for a 'no good deed goes unpunished' joke at this point. Can't you just hand over a bigger portion than usual and say your five nooblets have finally started getting their stuff together?"

She grins, "I'll think about that option."

"Speaking of - what would it take to get another Class Core? If I am to help you decimate the flood, it would be appropriate if I got a little power boost. I might want to become a vampire hunter, just not a vampire hunter. Urgh, forget it, that was a bad joke. Well, anyway. You can vouch for me, right? I told you that I've no intention to cause a massacre and the truth gem confirmed it."

Chloe weakly tries to decline my request, "You're certainly asking a lot. Tell you what, I still don't feel too well. Let's get the vault business over with, need to tell some people to cover for me then we can... continue."

"Fine with me."

She suggests, "Also when they hand you blood vials just take them and keep them in your inventory. I know that you don't need them but -"

"People would just ask uncomfortable questions, I know."

I hand her all the drops I got from the dungeon including the truth gem, then we head to the vault. Chloe hands over some items and the lady handling the procedure asks her, "Chloe, you don't look too well. Did something happen?"

Chloe tries to brush it off, "Nothing unusual. We just had bad luck with some floors and I nearly died."

The vault lady asks her, "Still don't have your group under control?"

Chloe scoffs, "Not even close. You can count on one hand the times they've kept to the battle plan. And with the flood out there we've no time for proper formation training."

I interject, "How about doing that next time we go in there? Worst case we lose a day but gain more stability in the long run."

She agrees, "Yeah, we should give it another try then."

"And is our little mage here behaving?", the lady tries to tease me.

"No, he also needs to work on his following orders skills. But what do you expect? It's been just a week and no opportunity for any team practices besides the two dungeon visits."

"Don't worry, that'll come with time", she hands me four blood vials this time. I say my thanks and we go back to Chloe's room.

She locks the door again, "Could you turn around for a moment? If I can trust you that I won't die when I give you some blood, I'll probably at least pass out and I'd rather not sleep in my armor."

Why is that on the table? Did she take my jab about payback really seriously? I really need to work on my people skills... Well, it is not like I'll say no when a nice girl invites me over for dinner.

"Uh, sure. Say I talked with some with one of the merchants a few days ago. Supposedly silver elves don't have blue eyes, only grey or pale brown?"

She sounds unsure, "Hmmm... if that is true it is at least not common knowledge. Not that there were any silver elves around for ages. Supposedly gone extinct."

"And with all those monsters around people had better things to do than care about eye colors?"

"Pretty much."

A few moments later she is done changing into her nightdress, "Let's get this over with", she sits down on her bed, "Please don't make this weird or turn me into a monster or anything! If you do I'll, I..."

I jokingly threaten her, "And what do you think you'll do?"

"...I can't think of anything our bond will let me do. But I'd at least give you a real stern talking!"

I can't stop grinning, "Don't worry. It won't come to that."

I take her in my arms and bite her neck to drink some blood. There is no resistance, no struggle, just the delicious taste of blood. Best one I had so far. I let go of her neck before anything bad happens to Chloe.

Contrary to expectations she didn't pass out but is still weakened, "I expected it to hurt, not feel... like that."

"As a lord, I got a skill that lets me increase the pain of the bite or... do the opposite. It's the same skill that makes it non-lethal."

She frees herself from me, "Whatever, I'm still exhausted. Just let me sleep."

"Sure, good night."

She lays down and closes her eyes.

Elly is cheerful, (Way to go, champ! Barely a week has gone by and you've already been invited to a girl's room and can even watch her sleep!)

(That doesn't count. And please don't be creepy about it. I just can't leave now without either locking her in or leaving the door unlocked, and neither option feels right to me.)

She brushes it off, (Yeah, yeah. Jokes aside, did you accomplish what you wanted?)

(I way overshot. I just wanted a guarantee that they leave me alone. I expected for her to negotiate about the rest, maybe force some compromise. But I played the 'evil vampire' role a bit too hard and she just caved.)

Elly suggests, (Maybe you should apologize to her tomorrow and tell her what is really going on with you? As your familiar she shouldn't be able to cause you trouble with that knowledge.)

(...I'll think about it. I'm still not entirely on board with that whole 'familiar' business.)

On one hand I feel it is a bit out of character for Chloe to give up that easily but what could she do? She doesn't want to die. If she strikes MC first she gets the death penalty from the automatic law enforcement. If she doesn't, well, in her mind she'll have a hungry vampire biting her which is lethal at best or would turn her into a monster at worst if she's right about her suspicion that MC is a higher tier vampire.
On the other hand... wait for the next chapter.

34