Chapter 246- Time to Sail the High Skies
4.8k 41 159
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Luna POV]

When we got to the mansion that night, I immediately went to find Soleil, which didn’t take long.  She was sitting on a couch in a lounge with Velvet’s head in her lap.  When she heard me come in, she looked up and held her index finger in front of her mouth.  I nodded before speaking with telepathy.

 

“Soleil, I have an idea for something that might be able to help you level your stellar magic.  I’ll tell you more about it in the morning since you are busy right now, but I want you to see if this idea works while we’re at the ship tomorrow.” (Luna)

 

“Alright.” (Soleil)

 

“Also, what do you say to going somewhere, just me and you, for a day before we decide where exactly to go next?” (Luna)

 

“Sounds good to me.  We haven’t done anything just the two of us in a while after all.” (Soleil)

 

“By the way, what is your depth?” (Luna)

 

“86%” (Soleil)

 

‘Hmmmm.  Tamamo, think it’ll be safe to just go for it?’ (Luna)

 

{I say two more times.  Go for as much as you can this time while being safe, then go for the final push next time.}

 

I nodded at Tamamo’s words before looking back at Soleil.

 

“Me and Tamamo think two more sessions of tail brushing and we can get you to 100%.” (Luna)

 

Soleil didn’t say anything, but I could tell she was happy about this news.  We talked for a few more minutes before I went to my room.  When I shut the door, I set up a domain for Tamamo.  She appeared sitting on my bed already in her sleeping clothes.  I quickly took off mine before making some sleeping clothes with illusion magic.

 

{Oh?  Finally trying to get used to it?}

 

“Might as well.  But I’m going to stick with sleeping like this in the beginning, I’m not confident enough to go out in public like this just yet.”

 

{Ufufufu.  The only time you would have any trouble is when you are around that one princess.}

 

“That’s not it.  I’m just overly aware that what I’m wearing isn’t actually real.  I’m fine with it in front of you, but only because it’s you.”

 

{That’s understandable.  And even if it does dispel, the only thing that will happen is I get a different good thing to look at.}

 

“And that’s why I said I don’t mind doing this with you.”

 

Tamamo chuckled some more before laying down and opening her arms wide.

 

{Well, what are you standing there for?}

 

I smiled at her words before climbing into her arms and snuggling as close to her as I could.

 

“Goodnight, Tamamo.”

 

{Night, Luna.}

 

I closed my eyes and fell asleep while enjoying the warmth of Tamamo’s everything.  When I opened them again, I was met with Tamamo’s sleeping face.  I smiled and nuzzled closer to her when I felt something off.  I glanced down to see that my clothes were dispelled at some point in the night.

 

‘Oh well.  I’ll just have to somehow get used to using magic while asleep.’

 

I closed my eyes again and was starting to fall asleep again when Tamamo started to stir.  She slowly opened her eyes and looked into mine.  This would have been fine if her eyes had any light in them.

 

{Ufufufu.  ♪L-u-n-a♪.}

 

She wrapped her arms around my head and pulled me into her chest.  As my head was surrounded by the amazingly soft pillows, Tamamo started talking again.

 

{My precious star, stay with me forever.  I’ll never ever, EVER let you go.}

 

Her hug tightened even more and she started brushing my hair with her hand.  I enjoyed this situation for a little while before deciding that Tamamo needed to actually wake up.  I snaked my hand around her and used a little ice magic just above her tails.

 

{MIKON!}

 

Tamamo’s tails went rigid and she immediately let me go.

 

“Are you fully awake now Tamamo?”

 

{I am but did you really have to use that method to do that?}

 

“Well, the last time I pinched you awake, you bit me, so I figured this would work out better.”

 

{I only bit your ear, and it wasn’t even hard.}

 

“Yeah, and what followed after that?”

 

{…}

 

“That’s what I thought.  And while I would love for that situation to happen again, we’re almost done with the ship, so I want to get that done first.”

 

{I see that the illusion got dispelled.}

 

“Fufufu.  Don’t think I don’t get what you’re trying to do, but yeah, it did.  Any advice on keeping it going while sleeping?”

 

{Either sleep alone or with me.}

 

“Really?  No advice to constantly use magic while asleep?”

 

{You’d have to ask someone else.  I’ve never really tried doing that before.  I hardly sleep after all and even when I have, it’s always been alone, so no one ever saw anything.}

 

“Oh.  Well, if that’s the case, then no real need.”

 

Tamamo got up from the bed and hugged me.

 

{Well, I’ll go so you won’t be too distracted.}

 

“I’ll see you again tonight.”

 

Tamamo then disappeared and I started getting dressed for the day.  After I was done and left my room, I met up with everyone in the dining room for breakfast.  After the usual morning banter, I pulled out several stacks of paper and sat Soleil in front of them.

 

“Soleil, take these and copy what I did here.” I pulled out some of the finished talismans. “After copying that, try enchanting them with the stellar magic that corresponds to the constellation.  Try one now to see if you can do it without a domain.  If you can’t, I’ll set one up before going to the docks.”

 

Soleil nodded and quickly copied one of the finished talismans.  When she tried enchanting it, it almost worked but before it took effect, the paper burned up.

 

“It felt like it was trying to take effect, but before it did, the amount of mana burned the paper.” (Soleil)

 

“Now try another with a domain.” (Luna)

 

I made a domain the size of the room and Soleil tried again.  This time, the enchanting process worked instantly.

 

“I guess having access to the source of the magic makes it way easier.” (Luna)

 

“Seems so.” (Soleil)

 

“Well, I’ll leave this up for you to do this.  I want to see if making these and using them will increase your level in stellar magic.  Once you finish making them, ask Velvet to help you out and tell me the results later.” (Luna)

 

“Alright.  Try not to get too bored today, big sis.” (Soleil)

 

“We’ll see what happens.” (Luna)

 

With that done, I left the mansion and met up with Damien and Vina who had left earlier.  They were already at work on the ship.  I stuck my head down the into the ship.

 

“I’m here now.  You know what to do when you need me.” (Luna)

 

“Yeah.” (Damien)

 

“Mmm.” (Vina)

 

I moved away and went over to the usual crate while I tried to figure out something to do to keep the boredom away.  As I whittled away the hours, I tried several different things.  Currently, I was trying to walk on space.  It hasn’t been working with what I’ve tried so far, but I won’t give up on it just yet.

 

{Luna, what are you going to try next?}

 

“I don’t know.”

 

I paced around in circles as I thought about what to do when one of the rounds I walked caused me to stub a toe on my sitting crate.  It didn’t really hurt, but it gave me an idea.  I moved back a little and covered my foot in mana.  I then kicked the empty space in front of me as hard as I could and heard a crack.  I looked down at my foot to see it hovering on what felt like solid ground and saw that the space around it was cracked like glass.

 

{…}

 

“Well.”

 

{Luna……Luna, I have no idea what I should say about this.}

 

I remained silent as I removed my foot from that spot and saw the cracked space slowly start to repair itself.

 

“Hmmm.  So, I can do that if I want to climb straight up, but it doesn’t solve anything but going up and down.”

 

{You’re going to roll with it!?}

 

“Why not?  If it works, it works.”

 

{Ufufufufufu.  Ahahahahahahahahahahaha!  Never change this part of you, Luna.  But now I have an idea.  Why not combine your ice and space magic?  If kicking space hard enough to break it works, why can’t you just freeze space as well?}

 

“I like the way you think, Tamamo.”

 

I immediately tried what Tamamo suggested.  I climbed space a little bit before attempting to freeze space in front of me to make a platform.  It started to work very slowly.  Once there was a platform big enough for me to sit on, I sat on it.

 

{And, the verdict?}

 

“If I didn’t have infinite mana, I’d be passed out on the floor right now.  Even now, it’s taking a ridiculous amount of mana just to maintain this small platform, and don’t even get me started on the little amount of climbing I did.  So, all in all, a good way to waste time, but not practical for everyday use.”

 

{Well, did you have fun trying to figure this out?}

 

“I had a blast.”

 

Just then Damien and Vina came up top.

 

“Oi, you two done down there?” (Luna)

 

“Yeah.” (Vina)

 

“Um.  How are you doing that?” (Damien)

 

“Oh, you know, just freezing space.” (Luna)

 

“Oh.  Cool…Wait what!?” (Damien)

 

“I said I’m freezing space.  Simple.” (Luna)

 

“How is that in any way simple?  Forget physics, how much mana is that taking to do?” (Damien)

 

“Ummm.  About as much as every mage on this entire continent combined?” (Luna)

 

“*Sigh*” (Damien)

 

“Tch.  If only I had mana and magic affinities like that.” (Vina)

 

“Eh, this was just to pass the time, so I don’t plan on doing this again.” (Luna)

 

“I-I finally understand.  This is the feeling of common sense dying.  Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.” (Damien)

 

“Luna, why did you break my husband?” (Vina)

 

“He’s not broken, just smack the back of his head and he’ll be back to normal.” (Luna)

 

Vina did as I suggested and Damien actually did go back to normal.

 

“Ouch.  You could have geld back some.” (Damien)

 

“You’d have been fine; Luna can use healing magic after all.” (Vina)

 

“Can we just move on to the last bit for today?” (Damien)

 

“Sure.  I’m assuming you’re working on the masts and stuff now?” (Luna)

 

“Those and the captain’s cabin.” (Damien)

 

I hopped down from my ice platform and landed next to Damien.  I pat him on the shoulder while transferring him some mana.  He thanked me and the two of them moved on to the last bit of work.  I moved off the ship to give them space and decided to busy myself with some fishing.  Several more hours and three more mana top-ups later and Damien finished the first part of his alchemy.  Vina finished an hour later and all three of us stood at the helm of the ship.  On the wooden wheel was a very complex looking pattern drawn in the same ink that Vina had been using the entire time.  Damien let out a long breath and cracked his neck and knuckles.

 

“Let’s get this last part done.” (Damien)

 

He placed his hands on the magic pattern and his hands started to glow.  The ink then started to glow the same color as his hands and the light flowed along the ink like a shining river.  Several minutes passed before Damien spoke up again.

 

“Luna, put some of your blood in the center of the pattern here and start channeling you mana into the ink.  That’s all that’s left to make this ship yours as well as to complete the circuit.” (Damien)

 

He moved aside and I cut my hand with one of my knives.  I dropped some blood where I was told before healing my hand.  I then placed my hands on top of that spot and started channeling my mana into it.  The color of the light changed to silver, and it started to glow brighter.  After about 10 minutes, the glowing started to die down.  I watched as the lines of silver light burnt up like lines of gunpowder until they all met once again under my hands.  Once the light completely died, the ship shuddered for a second.

 

“Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!  We did it!  And it’s even better that I could have imagined!  Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!” (Damien)

 

““Would you stop being so loud!?””

 

“*Cough* Sorry, but this is amazing.  This isn’t a normal magic artifact, it’s a divine artifact.” (Damien)

 

“Oh, cool.” (Luna)

 

“How is that your only reaction!?” (Damien)

 

“I mean, yeah, it’s impressive that this turned into a divine artifact, but this isn’t the first time this has happened, so it’s not as special.” (Luna)

 

“What was the first time?” (Damien)

 

I pulled out my mirror.

 

“Twin mirrors for me and Tamamo that allow us to communicate and see each other.” (Luna)

 

“So let me get this straight, the first divine artifact you had a hand in making was a pair of glorified phones?” (Damien)

 

“Take that back!  They aren’t glorified phones!  Do you know how hard it is to go 15 years while only being able to see your wife’s face once a month?” (Luna)

 

“Umm.  Sorry?” (Damien)

 

“Hmph.” (Luna)

 

“Vina, what do I do in this situation?” (Damien)

 

“I don’t know.” (Vina)

 

{Luna, you can mess with them later, don’t you want to try flying your ship first?}

 

“You’re right, Tamamo, messing with people comes second to this.” (Luna)

 

“She was messing with us?” (Damien)

 

“I couldn’t tell.” (Vina)

 

I ignored the voices of the other two and closed my eyes.  I focused on the domain at the mansion and found Soleil, Velvet, and Blake all gathered in the room.  I tapped my foot and all three of them appeared next to us.  Blake fell onto his butt while Velvet quickly regained her balance and caught Soleil before she could fall.

 

“A warning would be appreciated next time.” (Blake)

 

“Yeah, yeah, whatever.  Blake, come with me, we’re going to get Ana and one more person.” (Luna)

 

“Is it done?” (Blake)

 

“Yeah.” (Luna)

 

I grabbed Blake and teleported us to mom’s office.  There I grabbed Ana’s arm and teleported away before anyone else could figure out what was happening.  We then appeared in Grey’s office.  He was standing in the middle of the room like he was waiting for us.  He placed his hand on my shoulder and we teleported back to the ship.

 

“Luna, what have I told you about randomly kidnapping people with space magic?” (Ana)

 

“To only do it for pranks or when I deem necessary.” (Luna)

 

“No, to never do it.” (Ana)

 

“Same difference.  Now, let’s get this maiden voyage underway!” (Luna)

 

I created a number of illusion clones that went about preparing to set sail.  Soon the anchor was lifted out of the water and we started to move.  After the ship exited the cave and we sailed far enough away from the island my excitement peaked.  I got a crazed grin on my face and started to channel mana into the wheel.  Shortly after that the ship started to lift out of the water.

 

“Ku!  Kuku!  Kuahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!” (Luna)

 

“Is this going to happen every time she pilots a ship?” (Velvet)

 

“Eh, she’ll get over it sooner or later.” (Soleil)

 

We continued to ascend until the tallest mast of the ship brushed against the bottom of the clouds.  I stopped channeling mana into the wheel and the ship slowly drifted.  I gave up control to an illusion and walked over to one of the railings.  The other’s joined me, and we looked over the world from on high.

 

“*Whistle* Now this is a view.” (Blake)

 

“Yeah.” (Ana)

 

“It’s so different from Atmos’s map.” (Grey)

 

“Grey, I have a hard time believing that you haven’t seen this sight before.” (Luna)

 

“Never from the deck of a flying ship.” (Grey)

 

“Fair enough.” (Luna)

 

“Look at that.” (Soleil)

 

All of us turned out attention to what Soleil was pointing at to see animals that looked like manta rays jumping in and out of the underside of the clouds.  They were quite large and every time once jumped it would try catching something that looked like a dragonfly with eight wings.  They passed above the ship and off into the distance.

 

“To think that it’s a literal sea of clouds.” (Damien)

 

“Yeah.” (Luna)

 

We all stood and watched everything for a little while longer before I moved back to the helm.  I steered us in the direction of the island just in time to see the sun setting over the horizon.  It was a sight that I’ve seen thousands of times but it was different this time.

 

“This really is beautiful.”

 

{It really is.}

 

Chaos Realm:
Mio: *Shivering*

Fenrir: What's wrong, Mio?

Mio: That looks so high up nya.

Fenrir: Are you not good with heights?

Mio: No nya.  Not at all nya.

If so, why didn't you tell Luna?

Mio: Because I didn't want to ruin her excitement nya.

Order: Mio, that's no reason to not speak up.

Mio: *Closes eyes and takes a deep breath to calm down* Nyaaaaaa.  When I go back nya, I'm going to get over this fear nya.

Order: Um?  Did I miss something?  Why is she resolved to do that now?

She had an entire inner monologue just now.

Order: Oh.  What did she say?

A lot of struggle with overcoming the fear or being chained down by it, a lot of nya, some reliving of memories, more nyas, a final push of reasoning that overtook the fear enough for her to resolve to completely overcome it, a lot more nyas.  So many nyas.

Mio: Mister Payto, please send me back nya.

Fenrir: I look forward to seeing you again, Mio.

Mio: Same nya.  Keep that spot in your bed warm for me nya.

Fenrir: O-ok.

*Snap* *Mio disappears from the Chaos Realm for the time being*

159