Chapter 22
1.3k 14 55
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"The what?" Michael asked as Natasha looked over everyone, only for her to walk to the door and open it. Where Director Fury and Maria enter.

"Romanoff should've already told you, avengers; Silk, good to have you back healthy." Fury said as he walked up to us with Hill behind him, I waved at her lightly she smiled lightly at me as she held onto a briefcase. "Good afternoon Mr. and Ms. Baker. Is there a room we could use for an urgent matter?" Fury asked in a polite tone that didn't seem like a question.

"Yes, you can use the dining room. But excuse me, who are you?" Director Fury narrowed his eyes, eye?

"I'm Nick Fury, director of Shield we're part of a global institution backed up by the world security council." That seemed to make Uncle relent his questions.

"This way please." He said as he motioned for everyone to follow him, which we did. in the room it’s a big table where Maria set a tablet and from said tablet several screens projected themselves as a hologram.

"Everyone I hope to god that you're ready."  Fury added as he stood up and turned to everyone else and we took a seat.

"It's not like we're speaking to the people who rule over the security of the world." Tony said as he tried to relieve the mood but only made everyone a little more tense.

"But it's not like it would send us to the middle of a warzone... Can they?" I added with doubt in my voice.

"Those questions don't matter." Fury said as he made his way towards the front. Everyone is ready; I have my mask on as well as fixed my hair, while I'm wearing my hoodie themed after Silk. The projector turned on and the members of the council are seated in front of us. Everyone is shrouded in darkness as I can tell who Pierce is.

"Gentlemen and women."  Alexander Pierce nodded towards us, but no one moved to answer Fury took over as he stood in front of the camera.

"Councilmen and councilwoman. As you know we have made a private security agency regarding the Avengers Protocol after all they are enhanced individuals. Each and every one of them has defended the city of New York fighting against an army that was going to destroy the entire city and a plan to dominate the entire world. They avoided the death of millions of civilians." He said as he turned to every one of us.

"Yes, but how can we determine that they won't do anything destructive?" Another councilwoman asked

"I believe that they have actually been focusing on saving civilians lives by stopping said threats and helping during evac." Fury said to which Steve and I nodded.

"As of right now The Avengers, do they pose a threat to the world?" The only councilwoman asked.

"No Ms. Councilwoman; as of right now we stand to make sure that civilians don't suffer from attacks made by enhanced or even threats that threaten the world." Steve stepped up.

"Captain Rogers, a pleasure to finally meet you, thank you for your service during World War two. We have don't doubt that you have a proposition over stopping enhanced people or organizations using technology to do more harm than good. But we have doubts regarding three of your team members." Pierce said as I can tell their gazes land on Bruce who is and the one sitting behind me.

"I am currently adapting to the new world we live in, but I can vouch for-" Steve got interrupted.

"Those two people have made SEVERE crimes. One of you destroyed Harlem the last time they came to US territory the other is actively breaking the law." Banner tensed as I gripped my hands, but the captain won’t back down.

"I can guarantee that he has complete control over the Hulk, while we don't control The Hulk. Doctor Banner made it clear before, during and after the attack on New York." Steve stepped up again which seemed to make everyone relax a little. It's impressive how he can rally and inspire people around him.

"I can second that, Banner showed that he can contain The Hulk." Tony added his 2 cents.

"He saved the life of Tony when he was falling from the hole in the sky, meaning that that the main reason Hulk attacked was when provoked. I can see that Doctor Banner and Hulk are very different. But the reason Hulk comes out is because Doctor Banner knows that Hulk is a force for good." I added after the fight we talked about his time away in the U.S.

"Interesting, coming from you; if I remember correctly you're good friends with The Hulk." Pierce said to me.

"He's a friend, if I can call him that, but I treated him like a normal person would; he's not a monster he's a hero." I said with conviction in my voice only to shrink back into my seat as I felt everyone looking at me.

"He's a fugitive that has cost the US Military millions. But if you can assure that he can be contained and stopped if the need arises." The councilman said as he turned to Fury.

"Doctor Banner does more good here, than in any other country." Natasha said aloud.

"If you can guarantee it then we will call off the Hulkbuster division, as well as start the paperwork for a presidential pardon that we have discussed before." I can see Bruce relax in his seat. "The second one is regarding Thor. He destroyed a town due to an alien attack last time he was here. Where is he? He is not here, do you have a way to contact him?"

"Thor is currently in Asgard. Ensuring Loki will pay for his crimes against humanity and over eighty murders as well as the ones added by the battle that took place in New York. Loki confirmed as well that he sent the dubbed "Destroyer" armor to kill Thor, which ended up in the destruction of said small town. Making Loki the culprit behind those two events." Fury explained.

"Very well, that leads us to the next point we have before we go into further details. Silk." I almost jumped out of my seat.

"Yes? Uh councilman." I directed towards Pierce.

"You are charged with crimes of vigilantism, you not only acted against the law, you disrupted police investigations, damaged police cruisers that cost us money, disappeared from the face of the earth for eight months leaving no trace behind to be accounted for; you! A girl dressed in tights." I grimaced.

"I was helping people; during the time frame of exactly one year and sixty one days that I was active stopped forty seven accounts on attempted rape, a hundred and fifty six muggings at gunpoint, small store robberies, seven bank robberies, three jewel store robberies and a heist on the museum of art." I accounted. "My success rate goes further than most of the precincts on Long Island. Also, no civilian has been hurt during confrontations, the aggressors biggest injury is a concussion and web in their mouths. I received training from Agent Barton for four months after being active for two months and it’s when I became more efficient." I defended my case which I think they didn't like that.

But Fury told me that I had to give out facts about my acting on the streets and how I helped society during my times acting as a vigilante.

"How can I believe those numbers? You cannot remember those numbers; again, you're just a kid." Pierce said to me as I can't really tell what his expression is.

"Actually I do, I can remember everything I experience and I'm not a kid in tights I'm a hero." I declared following Fury's orders since he also told me to defend my case without going to insults.

"We have information on you Silk, information that we have read and compiled into a file on each of your feats. But no personal information." Another councilman said in a positive tone almost as if he's on board with The Avengers.

"Miss Silk." The only councilwoman turned to me. "Do you plan on keep acting as a... superhero?" I looked towards the rest of the team each one has their eyes on me.

"I don't know, I just experienced the worst possible time in my life.... so for the time being, I'd rather not go back." I added with as much confidence as I could.

"What do you mean by the worst time? You're eighteen! What is so hard about your life? Did you not get the dress you wan-." Pierce is not letting up on arguing against me.

"Councilman! Silk, said no and I believe that respecting her decision is important as she is a member of this team." Tony interjected before Steve could who seemed like he was about to interrupt.

"Fury, YOU are trying to push what she did under the rug, what we could do is place her in Shield as a trainee and train her." Pierce said and I noticed how Clint lightly narrowed his eyes.

"I don't think that’s a good idea, besides she clearly said that for the moment she's not interested in-" Fury added.

"She is only a kid with no idea of what a girl with the power to lift a bus with one hand can do-" That reminds me of Mo- The Matron.

"I do know! I don't need to go to shield. Agent Barton received updates from me after every day I went out on patrol. I'm not a danger to society because I only helped." I said in a confident voice tired of Pierce actively targeting me.

"Is that true?" Pierce turned to Clint.

"Yes Sir." Clint confirmed.

"We as THE Security Council; can't back up your work as a vigilante after all, it's illegal. You can work as a-"

"I have a plan for that." Fury interrupted the councilman. "When or IF she decides to return to work as a hero, she will be acting as a bridge between The Avengers and for the moment it would be with the NYPD. I hope that eventually she will be taking part in jobs with the federal government in the city. As you may have realized the world changed, enhanced individuals are appearing all over the world. It was easier to cover the existence of aliens and enhanced; but right now at the rate technology is improving, if she wants to return. People will need to know that not every enhanced is dangerous."

"You're saying you want a what?" Pierce says in confusion.

"Silk working with the police is the first step, but that is if she wants to return. If that were to happen she could go to the police academy to receive training, as well as the firefighter academy."

"Like a public worker?"

"Not necessarily, she's smart, I'm sure two week courses should be enough to get used to the codes used by each governmental agency."

"You act as if she would be called to help in case of big events."

"If an enhanced were to show up, we would step in. If things get out of hand Shield gets involved, if Shield can't then we can call anyone in this room. But if someone is not close, she would come."

"That is one big IF. I say that she should be sent to training either at Shield or in the army. But we live in a democratic country, so councilmembers. We'll vote on this." Pierce said aloud.

"Pierce, you're saying you would force a kid that just turned eighteen to enlist? But it brings it to my attention, why? You want more super soldiers? She's clearly a civilian, so much so that she prefers to hide her identity." Fury said as he looked serious, Bruce looked like he was about to say something, but began to look into his bag for something.

"Actually that leads to the next subject; we would like to know who is behind the mask."

"Is it necessary?" I ask as I can feel their gazes on me.

"If you're worried about your safety-"

"I am. If I say my name and show my face, my new family will be in danger."

"Kid, knowing who you are is nothing compared to other national state secrets. This will be considered a secret as well."

"Director Fury?" I can't help but ask he nods, I'm not comfortable but they know about other stuff, lowering my mask. "Uhmm... hello?"

"You look older." Is what the councilwoman said.

"I just turned eighteen; I think I was born on May 12th 1994 in East Harlem, Manhattan. My name is Cinthia Moon... Baker... so yeah."

"Happy now? Pierce?" Fury said in a tone of mockery.

"Not yet, can you explain why you were not acting as a vigilante for the last year as well as why this meeting moved to this day when the Avengers were founded almost 2 months ago?"

"I was left homeless and the past 2 months I was in a mental hospital after 2 attempts at suicide." I swallowed hard as I covered my face with my mask. Confidence swirled in me.

"... I'm sorry for his tactless approach, I think I get a better understanding of why you wouldn't want to speak about what you went through."

"Thanks you councilwoman."

"The previous explanation is why you're not returning to act as a vigilante?"

"Precisely, I'm not in a healthy state to return to act."

"Well, if you want to come back. As previously stated I would like to make a plan for you to work alongside the NYPD and the NYFD."

"Of course councilwoman."

"My plan was for her to receive intensive courses from both police and fire department training and protocol as well as a way for her to receive certification for first response." Fury said as he unveiled his plan. "She can't really get away scott free, but community service in forms of patrols around the city, thus removing the charges for vigilantism."

"For the removal of charges she needs a presidential pardon." Another Councilman added, Pierce is clearly trying to avoid speaking right now.

"Can it be done?" I can't help but ask.

"Ms. Moon, the public is too much in you favor to not create a scandal if the president were to not give you one. As well as Doctor Banner, which is either he escapes under our nose to another country to help or stay here to help in research." The Councilwoman said to me.

"Now we have to talk about deployment and the international implications on how The Avengers will operate arou-" And so we spent the next two hours hearing about how we had to act on certain places, and when we can't; we covered, measures, counter measures, we even covered what would happen if a Hulk-like monster would happen how we would have to react, we cannot go against regular terrorists but against enhanced active terrorists that threaten more than 5 sovereign nations and have powers that could destroy the world balance or economy, world ending threats and events that may end up in death of millions; as well as we can't intervene on natural disasters.

"For the final topic I would like to know more about Damage Control. The reports say that they will work in rebuilding and recovering dangerous objects from events after you operate. Just like the bodies of the Chitauri as well as all the technology and weapons they had."

"Yes, also the storage will be under the protection of the federal government and after the United Nations passed the most recent bill no country will have access for those weapons to reach active combat in Tours." Fury added as my head began to pound. Images of a man in a suit that has wings and green goggles as a kid in a red and blue suit fighting him and him under rubble lifting tons over his head in a struggle.

"Cindy, you alright?" Bruce asked me as my head felt like it was about to burst, as the image of the kid is now him pulling at a box containing glowing things using what looks like webs.

"Yeah, just a small headache."

"That doesn't look small." I open my eyes to notice that it seems like the attention is now on us.

"I think that, that should be all topics we have to cover..."

"Yes, I believe so too."

"Glad to have The Avengers now officially active. If the need arises, the world will call you."

"And we'll be there." Steve says with confidence.

"Director Fury, Avengers." With a last nod from Pierce, the call ends. I sigh in relief as I lie back on the chair rubbing my eyes.

"Well, that's done. I want some cake." Tony said as he stood, ignoring the images in my head I try to bear the images in my head. "Its been a long time since I had cake, I think it was last Christmas." My head ache increased as I was seeing how Tony fighting someone who is glowing red, the US president getting kidnaped by a red, blue and white War Machine armor. Followed by Tony using different armors to fight off others that glowed red.

The pain became too much for me as I felt nauseous. "Cinthia, do you feel alright?" A hand rested on my shoulder as I opened my eyes to stare at Pepper Potts, the image turns to her in a sports bra falling into a raging fire. Looking around finding the door to the bathroom that is outside the office. At least there wasn't anyone there using it. I emptied my guts into the toilet, a hand rubbed my back in small circles as my head pounded harder. "Better?" I nodded lightly at Natasha with a small groan.

"I think that meeting was a little too much for you right now." She said as she handed me a glass of water.

"We should've split the meeting into two but politicians and their ways of urgency are impractical." Fury said outside the door.

"No kidding, we are going to cut things short, if you want cake I can give you a slice so you can take home." Mrs. Baker replied, I took a seat in the couch the images in my head confusing me a lot.

"I need a nap, my head is pounding.." I announced as placed my forearm to cover my eyes. After saying our goodbyes, Maria giving me a hug that lasted a bit too long. Which made me a little happier.

"Kid, I'll see you on Monday at Sta-Avengers Tower. If anything happens you got my phone number and tell me if you will come or not."

"Sure, thanks Tony." Before they left, I saw Steve talking with Mrs. Baker.

"Steve!" He turned towards me.

"Yes, Cindy?"

"If I don't see you." I walked towards him and with an awkward hug. "Happy Birthday, it’s tomorrow right?"

"Yes, July 4th." He answered a little awkward tone in his tone.

"Happy Birthday Steve." Michael almost slid in front of me and touched his left bicep.

"Thank you... Michael." Steve answered with a polite awkward tone, everyone else soon after congratulated him, until everyone left I waited bearing my headache until everyone left.

"Cindy, let me take you to your room, we moved everything there." Mr. Baker said as he led me to the second floor passing Erica's door right beside it is April's room, it was locked.

"Here." He said as he opened the door. "We didn't know what you liked but we placed all your stuff here." I can only stand at the door, this is HER room. “Come in."

"I can take the couch... I."

"Cindy, I know... but it’s been eleven years." He took a seat in the bed and tapped twice the place beside him. With doubt in my steps I got closer and sat down on the bed that is actually really comfortable. "You know, when we were taking everything out of here, after we found you. We actually began to empty the room, the day we finished packing everything and placed it in the storage room. Don't tell Jos, but I had a dream about April. She said thanks for remembering her and for letting go. She's happy, or that's what she said. This room is yours, we didn't know what to put but we placed your clothes in the closet and Erica made sure to keep everything where it should be." He stood up making sure to not step into my personal space, his eyes are teary. Faster than he could do anything else I hugged him.

"Thanks Mr. Baker." He hugged me back carefully as if I'm delicate.

"No problem, Cindy." I let him go. "Get some sleep..." He said as I just nodded. "...and take a shower and brush your teeth. Tomorrow or the day after we would be going everyone to get you some clothes and... yeah, rest up. If you get hungry, there is food in the fridge." He said as he left, looking around the room opening drawers looking for everything. I soon found how everything was stored inside different places, a TV that is way too big for it to be here. I can't help but smile a bit as I walked towards the bathroom; the need to sit down under the running water was there...


"-t's been three months since the Battle of New York. Leaving the city in massive debt that is being helped to be covered by various industries most notoriously being the newly established Damage Control. As well as the appearance of superheroes. This no doubt inspired a movement, thousands of people have visited the recently appointed skyscraper named by Tony Stark and Virginia Potts as Avengers Tower.

From press conferences this group now labeled as The Avengers are now prominent figures, from merchandise, to trends being set." The news anchor stopped.

"Talking about members we still have no information on the identities of a few members such as Black Widow, Hawkeye and Silk." I turned to look at the TV closing the book while Erica did the same. "As of right now the Smithsonian has announced that they will make an exhibit on the appointed leader of the team Steve Grant Rogers better known as Captain America. Different forms of contact have been attempted to be established with any member of this team for an interview but no one has been able to get in contact with any of them. The only Social media presence on this team of superheroes is only Tony Stark and Silk. Silk who previously disappeared for eight months to any public appearance but some reports were made about people getting saved by her MO." She then took a deep breath as she stared directly at the camera.

"Talking about her, a day after the Battle of New York one of our crew when taking shots of the results was able to come in contact with the two most mysterious avengers. As he found the discarded suit and tech that Silk used during the Battle. We wonder what happened to New Yorks own superhero?" She stopped as her companion began talking.

"A police report was made after an alien in the form of a woman was reported to a police officer who was doing patrols to cover for any type of looting..." He kept narrating as I ignored the rest and returned to browse twitter memes. "Police reports of said woman with multiple wounds and a bloodstained shirt as well as a stab on the back after getting attacked by multiple people. Said people were afflicted with bruises and one of them in a really bad condition. Police identified these perpetrators as members from a gang that amidst an investigation that correspond to sexual assault crimes. All of them are currently serving time." The anchorwoman kept her cool.

"They confessed that they were going to perform said acts against the woman who was later found out to be a wounded Silk. But in a feat of strength and brutality she stopped their attack against her and she then ran away with said stab wound." She took a deep breath. "After that we have no information after she removed the knife from her back and disappeared. The question is, did Silk disappear? Is she hiding? Is she amongst the victims that had no way to identify? Just know that Silk if you are watching this. Know that we from the team of Channel 7 we hope that you're safe and healthy. We have a few minutes to receive calls from the audience." The phone immediately rang.

"Hello?" The voice of a woman came from the phone.

"Is it true that Silk is dead?" The voice of a girl sounded on the line.

"We have no information regarding her health, it is mere speculation after the police report was released. We move to the next call." A few more calls happened all asking about what happened to me... thinking it would have a relaxing effect on the people. I decided to call hoping for my call to get picked up, but it seems like it went through.

"Hello?" The anchorwoman said as I heard it from the phone as well.

"Umm... Hi." The woman in the TV paused for a few seconds as her eyes darted around until.

"Silk?" The woman asked in doubt.

"Yeah... It's me... I'm... Sorry."

"Why are you sorry? Everyone in New York was worried about you! I think almost everyone has had someone save their lives by you. Even a search party was sent out to find you." I couldn't answer to that.

"Silk?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm here... Just..." I let out a breath.

"Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I am... I'm getting better..."

"Silk, will we see you again?"

"I... I don't know, that night. I was injured, I pushed everyone away but those guys saw I was really injured and told me they could take me to a back alley doctor. You should know the rest, the police tried to help but I got shot at by them."

"You got shot?"

"Yeah, grazed my leg... but, I was at my lowest point."

"Why didn't you go to the medical centers that got stationed to help the injured."

"I thought I wasn't worth it, it was also really crowded, I thought back then I would only get in the way-"

"But you're worth it, life is worth it."

"Yet why did I get attacked when I was injured? Why did I get stabbed? Why did the police aimed their guns at me when I had a knife in my back?"

"..."

"I don't know if I'll get back, to be honest." The anchorman answered me this time.

"Silk, one group of people don't represent everyone out there. You saved my life a year and 2 months ago."

"I remember, a jewelry store robbery. You were there for a bracelet for your wife, anniversary right? Did she like it?" That seemed to surprise him.

"Yeah, she liked it."

"Good."

"I need to you know one thing."

"What is it?"

"You..." He took a deep breath. "If you're not ready to come back then don't. I have no idea what you're going through, life is rough and some things are hard to deal with. After what you went through I don't blame you for not wanting to come back. But if you don't come back, know that at least I support your decision, you're a kind person and an example to everyone that we New York as a whole don't deserve.

You've saved countless lives from certain death, made mothers and fathers arrive safely with their families. You placed criminals in jail and others that did small crimes a chance to redeem themselves. But we forgot you're still human like us, you're also a superhero. New York was fine without you, I'm sure we'll be alright." I sniff loudly as I clean my tears.

"Thanks." My voice croaks, as I sniff and blow my nose. It seems to make them freeze. "I think I needed that. Thank you, that means a lot." He smiles as I hang up. He clears a tear from his cheek.

"That was Silk, confirming her being alright. I'm sure we're about to get scolded by the higher ups; meh it was worth it." He says as laughter rings in the studio. Erica promptly turns off the TV and gives me a hug.

"See, you can be Cindy and you'll be alright." I nod as I return the hug.

"Yeah..." I reply to her, as I'm now a little more at ease. Turns out I'm okay not being a hero right now.

 


Hi, Light here.

I know this is a small chapter, but I'm slowly getting the hang of things enough to write again. The next chapter is slowly taking shape, I'll try to update soon.

55