77. In the capital
527 4 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Where is that stupid girl, at this rate…"

"If you say it one more time, I swear to Her Majesty I will kill you."

In a room located above a high-end restaurant, two women had such an exchange.

After the first one quieted down, the other one relaxed and returned to her busy job of tapping against a table with her finger while looking out the window into the busy street.

The sight disgusted her; all those people claimed to be loyal to their queen, but when she was replaced by force, they happily followed the new regime. Not like that would be bad per se; after all, now the rightful ruler is on the throne. But the lack of true loyalty was disgusting. Everyone was just looking out for themselves; barely anyone was looking out for the good of the whole race.

For her, whose ancestors had all laid down their lives for their country, this was one of the greatest sins she could imagine.

What happened to our land? She thought with a sigh. But before she could delve deeper into her thoughts, footsteps were heard from the hall. In a second, all noise within the room ceased, and each of its occupants had their hands ready at their weapons.

The footsteps stopped just outside of the door, and the person on the other side started to knock in a melody.

The song of the Anema revolution. Once she realized what the melody was, she motioned for her comrades to relax and went to open the door.

Behind the door, a girl with azure hair stood there with a silly grin, while behind her stood two nervous girls hiding their faces with hoods.

"Sup, boss."

The azure-haired girl said nonchalantly. While one of the girls behind her looked around. The distrust was clear in her eyes.

"I don’t like this... It looks like a trap."

Whispered Mirei into Loriam’s ear. Loriam, though, only smiled at her.

"Even if it is, the only thing I want is to see my daughter."

Loriam didn’t bother to whisper. As she saw it, these women could only be loyal to either her or to the coup, therefore to Julia. So, she didn’t see any need to conceal her intentions. The women in the room looked at one another; this wasn’t what they expected when they received their orders.

"That could be arranged at tomorrow’s ceremony."

While it was unexpected for them, they still followed their original plan, as it didn’t seem necessary to modify it.

"Your majesty, they are seriously shady. Are you sure you trust them?"

Mirei assumed a pseudo-fighting stance. While shielding Loriam’s body with hers from a possible attack. Loriam pushed her aside with a sigh.

"You are my daughter’s maid. So, behave accordingly."

"I am. Her Highness wouldn’t forgive me if I allowed something to happen to you. I beg you, don’t trust them."

Mirei pleaded with Loriam, but she didn’t pay her any mind. Unbeknownst to Mirei, Loriam always gets like this when it comes to her daughter. Her own safety is the last thing she thinks about. Confirming her daughter’s condition comes first; everything else comes second.

"Will you take me to my daughter?"

Loriam's eyes gleamed with resolve. Her strong-willed stare dug deep into the woman’s soul. So, this is the queen of the vampires. The leader of the group gulped nervously. Never before had she stood in the presence of a member of the royal family. And while the woman in front of her didn’t have her loyalty, a deep-rooted instinct told her to kneel.

She did all in her power to resist this instinct; she kept repeating to herself; This isn’t my queen. Over and over again.

It could have lasted for barely a minute, but it felt like hours. She had never experienced such pressure before. but she couldn’t allow her subordinates to see her being pressured. Not by this woman, at least.

"By tomorrow, yes."

She attempted to look as collected as possible, she said with a voice filled with confidence. Which seemed to do the trick as Loriam beamed happily.

"Hmmm."

Nika observed each detail of the room. As she had been doing for the last hour. Behind her stood a maid who looked as confused as could be.

There was a girl claiming to be the younger sister of Princess Julia. While the queen clearly had no other child, this girl insisted that she was indeed the sister of the princess. And likewise insisted on seeing the room belonging to the princess. Had she not been with her when the request was made, the maid would have

"I guess this room is passable."

Nika said as she turned around, facing the maid. The maid stayed silent. She didn’t know how to address the girl in front of her.

"Did you want to see my room so you can judge it?"

"Your highness."

"Sister!?"

The maid bowed respectfully, while Nika jumped in surprise. In the door stood Julia, dressed in a dark frilly dress with crimson stockings on her leg and a low leather boot. A hard-to-read smile plastered on her face.

"No, of course not. It’s just that I can’t stand the idea that my sister would live in an unfitting room."

Nika said it with a blush. Julia laughed as if she already knew that was what Nika was going to say. The maid, meanwhile, silently stepped aside.

"Ach, sis, you never change, do you? Just like that time, you wanted me to move in with you."

"That was because you were sick, and that was the only way I could nurse you…"

Nika's blush deepened, and Julia laughed softly and patted her head. Which made Nika close her eyes in silent enjoyment. A smile appeared on her face.

"Anyway, where is my mother? I didn’t see her anywhere."

Julia asked the maid while rubbing Nika’s head absentmindedly. The maid bit her lips as a troubled expression appeared on her face.

"Your mother should be here tomorrow, your majesty."

"Hm? Liora?"

Julia was surprised to see her mother’s maid and childhood friend dressed in the uniform of an Oprichnina officer. The most confused one, of course, was the maid who was standing next to the wall.

"Yes, it’s me. Unfortunately, your mother didn’t really handle being dethroned well."

Julia sighed and turned to Nika, who started to look guiltily away.

"Sister, you know that I never wanted the throne, right?"

"Well… You built this country, and well..."

"Without you, it went to hell."

Liora added nonchalantly. Julia sighed again and began to walk out of the room. Turning to the others briefly.

"I swear, you will be the end of me."

Julia sighed again and went out of the room. As soon as I get my mom back, I will resign. Forming this simple plan in her mind, Julia started to prepare for tomorrow.

28