Chapter 34: I Challenge You!
386 9 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Reiko POV

The sky was painted a pleasant, serene amber. Warm rays of sunlight gently warming my skin. Every now and then there were gusts of cool air passing by. 

"Hehehahaha! IT'S GROWING!"(Reiko)

Slowly pouring mana into my hands and out my palm, the small, green sapling grew. Wiggling like a little wormy as it grew quickly reaching my legs. Thorns popped out from its sides becoming as sharp as a razor.

I grabbed a stick nearby, slowly inching it towards the sapling. At that moment, it snatched onto the twig, hooking around it and crushing it. 

"hehhehehe"(Reiko)

"r- reiko, wh- what is so f- funny?"(Cheryl)

Cheryl asked with a shaky voice, a worried look on her face. My head twitched to face her, a large grin on my face.

"With this, I have a plan! When we fight right, I am going use these plants to hold my opponent in place!"(Reiko)

I said with a proud smile.

"Then attack them with my vines!"(Reiko)

"oh, that's not a half bad idea."(Cheryl)

"hehe~"(Reiko)

I made a proud pose. Beating my chest like King Kong.

"But make sure that you get to bed before it gets late."(Cheryl)

"I got it, I got it."(Reiko)

--------

The sky gradually and surely a navy blue, speckles of white splattered on the night sky. I was surrounded by an army of vines and roots and trees. Beads of sweat were running down my face, as cold air exhaled out of my body. It felt like I was an a refrigerator, but I was satisfied  with the results. 

"wow... impressive..."(Cheryl)

I wiped off the sweat on my forehead, as Cheryl stared jaw wide open, eyes bugged out. I have been going on for hours! Making big trees, saplings, flowers and all sorts of things! I felt like mother nature with the amount of... nature...

Anywho, I walked away from the forest of flora, waving my hands, all of them went away, becoming nothing but the dirt it came from. My white hair was being carried away in the wind; moonlight bouncing off it, creating sparkling beam. I should cut this soon.

"I have gotten so- !!?"(Reiko)

...

-------

"hmm? Huh?"(Reiko)

I woke up dazed, on... on ZE BED!?!?! 

"ch- cheryl?"(Reiko)

"Yes dear?"(Cheryl)

I turned to see Cheryl, a crescent smile and closed eyes on her face. I felt impending doom in the air, d- did I do something wrong? ... "But make sure that you get to bed before it gets late." ... oh... My tail lowered down, my ears folded, a menacing aura was coming from Cheryl. Her face was overcast by the dark shadows, her eyes glowing red...WAIT A MINUTE AREN'T THEY SUPPOSED TA BE GREEN!?

"s- s- s- s- sorry..."(Reiko)

There were goosebumps all over my body as the end drew ever closer.

BANG!....

...

...

...

no bang?

"eh?"(Reiko)

I saw Cheryl with a smile on her face, hands ruffling my white hair.

"You don't have to be scared, I'm not gonna hit you."(Cheryl)

A sigh of relief left my mouth as I wiped my head of sweat.

"But that doesn't mean you're not gonna go off scot free!"(Cheryl)

"So, from today onwards you have to sleep at exactly 8 a.m.! No longer than that, ok?"(Cheryl)

...that's not happening. 

"ok... yes..."(Reiko)

"Reiko, I can tell when you're lying."(Cheryl)

Huh!? Magicry! Sorcery! Impossiburu! 

"h- how did you know?"(Reiko)

I said pointing my finger at her, looking at her like a detective interrogating a suspect. She replied with just a giggle... 

"Well it's late now, so you should get back to sleep."(Cheryl)

"wait I-"(Reiko)

"Shh~, it's time for bed."(Cheryl)

I grumbled under my breath, angry grabbing my blanket and pulling it up. Ignoring Cheryl, I slowly drifted off into sleep.

----------

The air was cold, like a winter morning. Slowly moving away the soft blanket that was covering me, I stepped down, off the bed. I pushed the wooden door away, making my way to where I usually go, the dining room. Walking down wooden path; I quickly greeted by two familiar people, one missing. 

Kamoume waved at me, I waved back. Sitting down on a chair, I was greeted by a plate full of meat covered with fruit sauce. Time ticked by slowly like a turtle, my nerves getting more anxious, worry becoming stronger and stronger. We waited, and waited, until the door nearby burst open, and old man appearing.

"HOW'S MY LITTLE GIRL DOING!"(Umesou)

He exclaimed boldly, hugging Kamoume and Moume tightly. He turned to me with a big smile on his face. 

"And good morning to you."(Umesou)

He said, his mood was as joyful as if he just won the lottery. He sat down, digging in into his meal. Everyone else followed. 

Time past slowly, an itchy feeling of nervousness at the back of my head. I took a slice of meat, biting into it. Kamoume had a worried look on her face, her fingers continuously and rhythmically tapping the table. I heard the beats of my heart, it was hard to say a single word, I knew what happened in a fight, every single little detail of it.

'it's going to be okay, Reiko, we have a plan, we have a plan.'(Reiko's Mind)

Huo, shoo

Even though there were nothing but smiles and laughter in the air, I was drowning in a sea of tension. I took deep gulping breaths, building my courage to say it, to do it. If it takes for me to fight someone to reunite with Kana, then so be it. 

"Excuse me, m- m-, MR. UMESOU!"(Reiko)

Right as he finished his meal, I shouted out, catching the attention of everyone. From all corners, I was peered with questioning eyes.

"Yes? What is it, Ms. Reiko?"(Umesou)

He said looking at me with a suspicious eye, one brow raised up. I felt like I couldn't move, I was trying to force a word out of mouth, anything out of my mouth.

"!, I- I- I-..."(Reiko)

"?"(Umesou)

"I, I CHALLENGE YOU!"(Reiko)

My body tensed as I finally yelled out what I wanted to say. Everyone at the table had a perplexed look at me, well except Kamoume who now was petrified. At that moment, I saw Moume freeze in shock, colour drained from her skin, her eyes whiter than paper.

"What do you mean by that?"(Umesou)

His voice became sterner, rougher, angrier. The once smile dissipated, leaving a callous '-'. I think I made a mistake, a huge one at that.

"I, I mean, I want to challenge you, so that I can leave this village."(Reiko)

His eyes were colder the Russian waters, an aura of death emanating from him. 

BAM!

Suddenly, he banged the table, creating a loud shockwave. His wrinkled face looked like a Hanya mask with teeth like those of a sabre tooth. His eyes glowed a sinister colour, his face turning red like blood. My body shook at the sudden outburst, goosebumps forming.

"I am not sure, if you do not know the rules of the village, but I'll make it clear, no one leaves, no matter what."(Umesou)

I was frozen in shock, unable to move a muscle. I wanted to leave, I thought I could do it, tell him, challenge him, but not even my finger could move. The eyes belonged to the demons, he stared at me with a stare that could petrify even the toughest warrior.

"F- father, please she's just a child, she most likely has a famil-"(Moume)

"Moume, you know the rules like the back of your hand."(Umesou)

"but father-"(Moume)

"The rules of the village is no one leaves, no matter who they are, or where they're from!"(Umesou)

His voice was louder than a boombox, I could see devil horns popping out of his head. Moume desperately tried to calm him down, only for her attempts to be in vain. He banged his hand onto the table, causing all the tableware to shake, and a visible crack on the table. Moume jumped in fright, retreating back.

"I let you in my village, my home, and yet you chose to say those despicable words in my face!"(Umesou)

"f- father please, she's just a child, she didn't know!"(Moume)

Moume's words fell onto the deaf ears, his face not changing in the slightest.

I swallowed my own saliva, my hands twitched. My hear skipped a beat, my tail frozen in place. I inhaled my lungs full of air, clenching my fists as I said

"b- But, I remember hearing that there is still one way."(Reiko)

I heard my heartbeats from my ears as I saw his face twist even further. Transforming, contorting from an angry old face to that of one that only one can describe as a death stare. A smile appeared, rising into an uncanny, inhumane level.

"If that's how you wish for it to be, then so be it."(Umesou)

His face returned back to normal, back to a calm demeanour. 

"Moume, prepare the dates, time and place."(Umesou)

He said before leaving out through the door. I looked around to see Kamoume huddling in a corner, Moume looking relieved, holding her heart, on her knees. Looking off into the distance, there was only one thought in mind,

I messed up, didn't I?

She's in quite a pickle ain't she?

17