Chapter 35: I Will Prepare
313 4 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Reiko POV

"Hah..."(Moume)

Moume sighed, before her face distorted to a face of true vexation. Like a hammer, her hand banged onto a wooden table, producing a loud burst of sound. Her hands were on the bridge of her nose, huffing out agitated breaths. Her blonde hair was messy as if she hand just came back from a windy day.

Turning her head, we stared at each other, eye to eye. Her glare could kill even the strongest heroes. Her nails dug into her palms, flailing in frustration. She went on for only a few seconds before calming down.

Staring directly at me, she said.

"You-.... no, it's my fault."(Moume)

"p- pardon?"(Reiko)

She recomposed herself, and straightened her back. Clearing her throat she said

"I didn't think father would react this way. But I was wrong, I'm sorry I had gotten you into this mess."(Moume)

"n- no, it's okay, it was I wh- who anger Mr. Umesou to begin with!"(Reiko)

With a pitiful look in her eye, her hand landed on my head. She bended down to my level, her hands holding my shoulders. In a firm voice she said

"It was not your fault, I got careless and now you're in this mess. Reiko, dear, listen to me, you do not want to be in the arena. It's a tradition that was established ever since the village was created and so far, only two have managed to win. It's a dangerous challenge, you'd be lucky to even survive."(Moume)

I swallowed my saliva. Like a magnitude 2 earthquake my body began shaking. I stared silently into Moume's deep blue eyes, resembling the deep abyss of the Pacific Ocean, before exclaiming with confidence.

"But I can use magic! I can do this!"(Reiko)

Moume looked at me with pained expression.

"no, anything other than hand to hand combat is banned."(Moume)

At that moment, the universe imploded. Frozen and destroyed. My eyes popped out of its sockets, my hand subconsciously grabbing my bangs. There was this, uncontrollable, urge, deep within, something I was not always familiar with before, but now I am, very, very much so. Noticing me, Moume chimed in a reassuring and comforting tone.

"Reiko, it's okay, I will reason with father, understood?"(Moume)

"I-, understood."(Reiko)

My teeth clenched, and so did my hands. Slowly, as time passed, the burning ember hiding in the deep abyss of my body died down. I didn't refute, I couldn't refute. My one and only chance of actually winning a fight, gone down the drain. I only meekly nodded my head as Moume turned to face Kamoume. 

From a distance I watched, alone, my emotions as my only company. This feeling was dampened, being replace by guilt and regret. Kamoume must have been scared...

She pulled Kamoume into a hug, whispering to her. Kamoume's face turn from scared, to sad to a little smile. Her face lit up laughing to Moume's tickling. She masterfully comforted Kamoume.

That's what a real family looks like, huh?

-------

Sitting next to a lonely tree, in a corner alone. The leaves were ticklish, gently caressing my legs. My heart race faster than it should be, there was a wish I had, a wish that I am not sure if I can even fulfill. It's pathetic really, thinking about it. I was beaten down, then I got drugged, I had a weird, some kind of, outburst during the festival! and now, now... now I am not sure if I can even leave here, if I can even win a fight. 

My only cheat stripped away... AH! So, so stupid! 

I knocked at my head, beating it, a feeling of anxiety screaming out.

I should've thought it through, I should've thought it all through. I should've asked questions, I should've had an actual plan or idea of what to do to begin with! Walking aimlessly like a leaf in the wind. Oh... how can one be so stupid, dumb and clueless.

Oh Goddess Statera, please give me guidance, please give me a clue a direction.

...

Hah... it's hopeless... what am I gonna do? Seriously, if Moume can't convince him, then there truly is no hope for me. I am not strong, not even a bit, I have no combat experience, heck I wasn't even strong when I was a grown man! It's just really frustrating, like, like, like... I can't even think of words...

"What're you going to accomplish feeling sorry for yourself?"(Cheryl)

"hmm?"(Reiko)

My ears twitched, my head raised to see Cheryl. A frown coupled with the displeased glint in her eyes a aura of disappointed emitted. 

"but what can I even do? Up to this point I have only been using magic, but now I can't even use that. I made too much mistakes, I trusted too much people, I went all willy nilly without a thought in mind. And now, look where I ended up."(Reiko)

"Reiko?"(Cheryl)

"y- KRACK!"(Reiko)

My eyes popped out like dog toy. Stars and coils came out from the sides of my head. I was hit by, the mighty fist.

"Child, when you make mistakes, you're supposed to clean them, not wallow around and do nothing?"(Cheryl)

"but I really can't-"(Reiko)

"Can't do this, can't do that. Reiko, I've been you for a while now, I know you get scared, nervous, worried and all that, but I have seen you, I know you can be strong, you just have to try, you have to put in the work."(Cheryl)

Cheryl was holding my shoulders, making full eye contact.

"Listen, your chances of making out of here is low, but that doesn't mean it's impossible, if Moume can deal with the chief that's great, but that's not guaranteed. That means you have to prepare for the worst, you can't be sitting here alone moping. Believe in me, I made the mistake of doing things unprepared, and things, things didn't work so well."(Cheryl)

"I- I, okay"(Reiko)

Saying that, I firmly nodded my head. I saw Cheryl's face light up as she floated behind and lifted me up by the armpits. 

"Alright then let's go prepare!"(Cheryl)

"yeah, okay"(Reiko)

"What? I can't hear you?"(Cheryl)

"Okay."(Reiko)

"What?"(Cheryl)

"OKAY!"(Reiko)

I screamed with all my might, gathering all my energy. I raised both my hands up in the air, ready to put my body through hell.

"Now give me a roar!"(Cheryl)

"no thanks."(Reiko)

"Come on!"(Cheryl)

"Come on~, wait where are you going? R- reiko?"(Cheryl)

Turning my back at her, I walked away silently, without a care in the world. 

"h- hey Reiko, wait up!"(Cheryl)

I heard the nervous laughter from Cheryl in the distance, but I couldn't quite make out what it was, after all, I am deaf in my left ear and 43% deaf in my right ear~. 1bullsh##!!! -Cheryl

-------

"Ughhh ONE! T-, hah, t- t- twwoooo! th- th- th- threeee!"(Reiko)

My arms WERE BREAKING! The tendons were ripping apart like rubber. My bones rattled, feeling like it could snap at any moment, any second! Sweat was sticky on my forehead and back, weakly gasping for air as my heart ran a marathon. Badump badump badump! I could hear my damn heartbeats in the inside of my ear!

Oh mah lord, I hate this I hate this I hate this I hate this I HATE THIS! I'd rather spend the rest of my life doing a nine to five!2I won't, I hated my job -Reiko3you had a job!? -Cheryl I at least get paid! Well, not much, BUT THAT'S BESIDES THE POINT!

"Wow, you're doing so good, Reiko... but there's a problem."(Cheryl)

"WHAT!?"(Reiko)

I growled to Cheryl, desperately trying to get push myself off the ground. 

Cheryl had an awkward face with her hand behind her head.

"Well, you see, your form is wrong."(Cheryl)

wh- WHAT!? Aaahhhh!

I deflated onto the ground like a sad balloon. Tears streamed out of my eyes like a river. All that work for nothing! All that three push ups. Oh what tragedy! 

"Come on Reiko, no need to be so dramatic, we can always try again!"(Cheryl)

"That's not the point!"(Reiko)

I said lying on my back, hand on head, basking in the sunlight. 

"wiÞ Þis body o' mine, may I as well accept mine fate!"(Reiko)

"Hah~, oh great Reiko! Þine fate not over yet! Þine must find Þe paÞ of to greatness! Þe beginning being leaving Þis village!"(Cheryl)

Cheryl swooped over to me and picked me up.

"Now, let's try some stamina work!"(Cheryl)

"AHHH!"(Reiko)

-------

Okay, clear your mind, you can do this! You can do this! 

Hyaahh!

Pushing power to my legs I galloped like a mighty steed. Wind tickled my face, cooling my sweat like a fan. The distance of my run was long and painful, very painful. My heart pounded, my leg muscles were screaming like a five year old bebe. The air was thinner than paper, my nails digging deep into my palm. 

It felt like time had slowed down, that I had ran for days and days, but alas, only a few minutes passed. Faster and faster like the wind! 

A rush of a euphoric feeling shot into my head, I can do this for days! Yeah I can do this for!

-

"BLEURGH..."(Reiko)

My lunch, it all came back up.

"There there. You did your best."(Cheryl)

Cheryl was patting me in the back, as goop left my mouth.

My head was dizzy, my legs wobbly, uhhh... I wanna die!

-------

Cheryl POV

Ahh~, it's so nice to see Reiko exercising, even if she's doing it out of necessity, reminds me of the good old days. 

"Ughhh ONE! T-, hah, t- t- twwoooo! th- th- th- threeee!"(Reiko)

Uh, is that supposed to be a push up? Oh wow, oh no, oh no no no no. Her back is bent, her muscles are gonna get stronger by that. 

"Wow, you're doing so good, Reiko... but there's a problem."(Cheryl)

"WHAT!?"(Reiko)

Oh, feeling feisty, better handle this situation with caution, else I may lose a finger, even though I am a ghost, probably... most likely... actually, aren't things supposed pass through ghosts? Strange, perhaps I may be something else entirely... let's think about that later, after all, that doesn't change the fact that, the fact that I am dead.

Reiko was clenching her heart like a character from a play. Tears were gushing out like a waterfall, if I didn't know the context I would've rushed in and hugged the little thing, but this is not the time to spoil her! She needs to get strong with her body! Not just magic!

"Come on Reiko, no need to be so dramatic, we can always try again!"(Cheryl)

"That's not the point!"(Reiko)

She was laying on the ground like a lifeless ragdoll. A single bead of sweat went down the side of my head. Maybe, we should try some stamina work instead...

-------

"BLEURGH..."(Reiko)

...poor thing... 

How can one be so unhealthy despite being so young? It doesn't make sense! Reiko was trying to catch her breath, and not throw up her dinner.

Hah~ 

Seems like we need some work to do. But still, colour me impressed, I never thought Reiko could be this fast... much faster than I thought she would be.

Too awkward to talk back, too nervous to approach people and now, to weak to do 3 push ups.

11