Chapter 47: Captured
250 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Reiko POV

"and that's it..."(Koro)

I absorb it all in, sitting down. The woman in front of me solemnly looked into the distance.

I took it all in, from the initial destruction of their home, to her eventual death. 

"I- I'm sorry..."(Reiko)

I couldn't think of much to say, just speechless. 

"you don't have to be."(Koro)

While she said, she moved her arms around, a beam of light conjuring in her hands, holding it tight to her chest.

"That was a long time ago, we've since moved on... but he hasn't... The village we built together, the one I saw grow now faces a danger, with the people revolting and the trade at an absolute minimum. P'horruki is destined to die."(Koro)

A pink necklace appeared in her hand, she held it by the string. 

"But things can still change. Ever since I died I saw Umesou's descent. His pain, anger, sadness. I've tried writing letters, or conjuring signs all in attempts to communicate with him, but they all fell in vain. I can't bare to see it anymore... so you child, you're my last hope."(Koro)

She descended down, down all to her knees. Like an angel statue she held her hands together and bowed her head. 

"please help me..."(Koro)

I... don't really know what to say... 

A resolution that was however still laced with desperation. Perhaps this might help me leave, maybe this was what it would take. She wanted the walls to be down and so did I, but if I have learned anything, I shouldn't just take her word for it. I am not sure whether or I can trust her but I don't have a choice in this matter. 

"ok, yes I will."(Reiko)

"thank you..."(Koro)

She got up and dusted her dress. Gesturing as if she's giving me the necklace, I reached my hands forward. 

"A message will appear once it is held. Use this, once he's able to see it, you would possibly be able to get yourself and the village free."(Koro)

As she said that, I took it and... nothing...

?

Was it defective. 

Where is the message? 

"uhmm... I think this might be broken..."(Reiko)

"oh, no, I made it so that it applies only to my husband. It's a personal message after all..."(Koro)

Personalised messages, magic is more complex than I thought, I should really get into it. If possible maybe I can use it to do some household chores, or- I'm getting distracted.

I held the pink diamond up in the air; I now have the means to escape, but how do I get there?

I'm now alone with a bounty on my head. It was thanks to luck that I am still alive. Everyone's captured and Cheryl's... she's, I drove her away. 

Uhhh... what do I do?

"That alone won't do."(Koume)

The young ghost child Koume chimed in. 

"Papa is one seasoned warrior, his heart is made of stone, emotion alone won't be enough to sway his decisions."(Koume)

Distracted by the weird and unnatural tone, I didn't register what she said. 

"wh- what?"(Reiko)

"...I'm afraid she's right, over the years he's gotten more and more sure to keep the walls closed, to the point where, I don't think he will be so easily swayed... you, you must challenge him to a battle, he's still a warrior even at this age, but you can use this to bargain, use it to have a battle be in your favor, no matter what it may be."(Koro)

What?

Things were already looking bleak, but now it was hopeless. M- maybe the necklace would be enough right? H- hopefully. 

Her face looked solemn and without doubt. Feeling as if the world crumbled, not a clue on what to do. I wasn't even worth breaking a sweat last time, there was no way I could do anything this time. 

Umu...

...

wait, no! Eureka!

If what, what she said was right, I could bargain and and maybe have a fight where it would be with Cheryl and I, and with magic too. It would be best if I could settle things peacefully, but if what she said is true, the likelihood of anything changing after that would be near zero. 

But even so, if it's a two against on-

I- drove Cheryl away...

Feeling a hand on my face, I groaned. 

Damn it!

Why couldn't things have been easier!

Making mistakes after mistake, as if that's the only thing I could do!

For me there really wasn't many options, risk just giving the necklace up and nothing happening or risk my losing my life. 

Why couldn't I have just been reincarnated stronger! 

"Little one watch out!"(Koro)

Tumbling over, a surge of panic as an arrow landed right in front of me. 

They found me. 

Shaking back and forth, I scurried away nearly tripping twice. Koro assisted, grabbing or hitting as many projectiles away from as possible. She alone wasn't enough to stop the barrage of arrows, I had to take cover under a tree. 

With panic returning like a roach that just doesn't die, I saw a bowman from the corner of my eye. A familiar masked figure. 

M- m- magic! I gotta, I gotta magic now! 

I- I- I- I'm too late, I c- can't I-!

Materializing from the air, she stood, taking the arrow with her arm. 

"...ouch"(Cheryl)

Huh!?

My head, things are happening too quick. Too tired... 

Turning back to face me, grabbing my arm, she bolted to away. Immediately as that happened, I recollected and getting back on my feet, sprinted. 

I created a wall, a giant root from the ground that pushed and broke off a tree, making it fall down. Returning back to the cave, I was out of breath, exhausted with my legs shaking. 

I took in deep breaths, feeling my heart beat crazily. 

Wincing from pain, Cheryl pulled out the arrow that was not only from her arm but also her back and shoulder. That, looked painful, if she hadn't intervened, it would've been me... 

Actually, Cheryl's right, with how that went, I wouldn't have made it far outside of walls...

I got emotional, too emotional, it clouded my judgement too much. I was an older brother, how did I not see this? All she did was protect me from harm and even death and yet only now I can think about it like that.

Ah...

I wished I could rewind time. I am such a dumb idiot. 

Arms extended, I did what I could only do. 

A soft green glow, coming from my hand. Was it possible, will it work on ghosts? I don't know, but I could at least try. 

Soon she relaxed as her arms eased.

Our eyes met, I made an awkward smile. 

"h- hello..."(Reiko)

Silence, responded with silence. 

"I-... it's that I-, I just want to say..."(Reiko)

Stumbling with quiet words, a pathetic scene. Things that were easy to say became just jumbled up. Usually apologising is something that is second nature to me, whether that be for being late for work or for not spending enough time for Kana. 

"are you alright?"(Cheryl)

Ignoring my sad attempts, Cheryl floated towards me, checking for any injuries. 

"y- yeas."(Reiko)

"that's good."(Cheryl)

Sighing, Cheryl wiped off the sweat off her head. 

"Now, what were you about to say?"(Cheryl)

"uhh, I... s- sorry..."(Reiko)

I said it under my breath, making a barely audible sound. 

She raised her eyebrow, wearing a confused face.

"pardon?"(Cheryl)

"I- I, it's nothing..."(Reiko)

Although confused, she brushed it off. 

Next to her, both Koro and Koume came into the cave. Getting up from the ground, I walked towards them. 

"Sorry, I did not expect them to spot you all the way here. But more importantly than that, it seems as if they're on your trail, it's best if you start moving."(Koro)

"ah ok."(Reiko)

Nodding my head I turned to Cheryl. I was simply met with a tilted head by Cheryl.

"I... uhh, Reiko, whom are you extactly talking to? You've been talking to air for quite a bit now..."(Cheryl)

Huh? 

Can't she see Koro and Koume?

"you don't see them?"(Reiko)

"...no?"(Cheryl)

That's strange, but that doesn't matter now, we are being chased and-

!?

Before I knew it, the entrance was blocked. Unsheathing their knives and drawing their bows as they slowly marched forward.

Within a span of a couple seconds, Cheryl rushed in with an open palm. From the ground spikes jutted forward, making them retreat back.

A gust of wind from her hands blew them back a couple inches. Swerving like an octopus' tentacle, keeping the distance between them and her.

Glaring at me intensely, she told me to run while not saying a word. Moving my legs, I darted forward as she made an opening. 

It doesn't matter whether or not she follows me, as long as I have this she will always be tethered to me.

...

On hindsight, getting some space by running away is pointless.

Never mind that, that doesn't right now. All I have to escape with the little window of time I got- 

M- my heart...

Harder to breathe, with me taking small, shallow breaths rather than deep breaths. I don't think I can run much longer, I am too tired. Legs starting to tense and drowsiness hitting me like a truck. 

From the corner of my, Cheryl desperately made walls of earth and rock. She worked hard to for me to escape, but I don't think I do it. 

Sluggish and slow, tripping in-between steps, I couldn't even think before I saw two arrows bolting in my direction. 

The archer had used the rocks to send himself upwards, firing once he got the chance. From the back I felt a nudge or a push, that barely got me away from the arrows. 

One piercing my left arm, spelling doom for me. 

Tired... too tired to go on anymore-...

...

------

A splitting headache, I woke up to an unfamiliar ceiling.

I seemed to be lying on something firm, getting up I looked down to see, thighs...

Ah, I see, anyway.

Staring at my arm, the wound was completely healed, but there still lied a problem. My hands tied up with rope. Glancing around me, there seemed to be no one but one guard and Cheryl. 

His face was covered by a mask but his cold eyes. 

We've been captured. Cheryl was out cold and while she herself didn't have her hands tied, she was injured all over. Slowly raising both arms, opening my hands as much as I can, I healed her wounds.

Get better soon.

As I did this, I felt a cold feeling on the nape of my neck. 

My head twitched back to see a spear up close. The guard looking down at me with disgust. Saliva went down my throat, I was in danger.

Praying to Statera that I won't be stabbed, I soon found out they were answered. A small squeak from a door nearby, distracted the guard who removed the weapon away from my throat.

Who could that be?

(◞ ‸ ◟ㆀ)

The personalised message is made using life magic. Will delve into magic eventually. If anyone is curious Life is the 2nd most powerful magic type currently in the series.

5