Chapter 80: Hello Again
193 5 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Reiko POV

Following Charles out of the dorm back into the outside, he guided towards the main entrance. He wore all three bags on him, it was his duty as a servant after all. Upon opening the door we greeted by a large corridor. Large was an understatement, it was giant. 

"Go farther down there to get to the ball room. But before that why not I show you your room? These old hips aren't getting any younger."(Charles)

"you're old? Uhh I guess you kinda look old, with your stubble, crows feet, kinda gray hair and- Woah!"(Reiko)

H- he collapsed onto the ground! 

"k- kid you're killing me out here... it's a joke, I'm only twenty-nine..."(Charles)

"s- sorry..."(Reiko)

Taking a left he guided me to yet another corridor with a lot of rooms. I wonder how they organise which room I'm going to be in, there seems to be a lot of people here.

Either way, holding my hand, he led me upstairs to second floor, then to third, then to the fourth, and then fifth... There were about twenty or twenty-one rooms per floor. 

My room was all the way at the end of the hall, very inconvenient. There seemed to be more floors above too. 

Opening the door, the room shined. The walls were well decorated, there was a bathroom, and two rooms to boot. A bedroom and what I think I might be a living room. An extra door for a closet too, of course.

It was lavish, impressive for a guest room.

The window curtains were embroidered in a delicate yet intricate pattern. The floor was covered in a soft, smooth scarlet carpet. The bathroom had actual porcelain toilets. The bed was also big and fluffy. 

It was such a contrast to all the other inns, mansions and villages. Even to modern Japan's standards this would still be equivalent to a five star hotel...

To make things more ridiculous was the fact that this entire guest room block was only a small part of the entire castle.

"i- is this really m- my room?"(Reiko)

"Oh man I know, it's too small for an elegant young lady like yourself. I should probably ring up the higher ups for a VIP room."(Charles)

Th- there's a VIP room!? 

I would have to work for ten years just to pay a months worth of rent here! 

"I- uh ah uhh, this... this is good... n- no thank you..."(Reiko)

"Suit yourself. Don't make too much of a mess. A little that's fine but too much... the maids will not appreciate that."(Charles)

As he said that he saluted before closing the door and leaving me alone with my thoughts.

 So... this is it... where I sleep. It's so so too much. It's like double my old house. There's no creaks, leaks, webs or roaches. Rather than that, instead there are non-broken widows, paintings and real furniture.

This is, really too much for a bum like me.

...

E- eh?

Is that what I think it is?

Stepping forward and looking at the metal object, there was a notch and button.

I turned it and...

"Heh!?"(Reiko)

It's real! It's real working fan! B- but where's the wire, how's this working by itself!?

It looks a little modern too, it's like the one I used to have to back in Japan. 

Ah the breeze is so nice too. I missed fans. I never knew how much of a luxury it was until I sold it. Summer days were cruel. More and more I am amazed by the technology of this world, I thought it was just a old European medieval type world but I guess not.

It's strange. The sheer contrast of the homes and culture mixed in with what seemed to be modern technology. 

The contrast was too great. 

It felt as if these things were unnatural, it didn't belong here. 

But I guess since magic exist, there was never an energy crisis, no need for fossil fuels or nuclear reactors. 

Interesting...

"hehe, this is called a fan sweetie."(Cheryl)

"eh? I- I know it's a fan..."(Reiko)

"Yes, yes you do."(Cheryl)

She's gotten the wrong idea...

"Well now, shall we go to the grand ball?"(Cheryl)

Oh yeah that...

Now that I'm here I'm kinda regretting this...

But I am here...

"ok..."(Reiko)

-----

We were surrounded by a lot of people. They all dressed in these silk robes, flashy dresses, stylish suits. To think, we were not even at the ball yet no this was the corridor. Originally, I knew there was going to be a lot of people, but I didn't think it'd be this much.

Everyone had the same prestigious aura to them, although different and still unique in many ways. 

There were regular humans, then there were humans with long pointy ears. There were those with a horn, claws and pointed tails, there were also those with animal like features. They were regular fantasy but there were still a couple that stood out. One was a tall person... grey in skin tone, glowing eyes and their sclera was black too. 

I shouldn't judge... it's rude.

There was a lot to say the least, all so different yet existing coherently. 

Physical appearance wise, I wouldn't have been outcast... outside of my... less than mature body structure... But I was an outcast. It was the feeling I was missing, I lacked the high elegance of those around me. Even Cheryl fitted in perfectly. 

Her hair now put down to flow but still keeping a part of braided, wearing it like a tiara. Her dress wasn't as stellar as the others, it didn't pop out or seem to be anything unique but when worn by her, all of its strength was put onto show.

Sometimes you forget she's a person of the wild. For a while she had only worn the same thing over and over but now that she is put into a proper gown, her features were put into full display. Her small but toned waist, her glossy white skin, her long legs, all of it.

She did her makeup perfectly too...

She's pretty...

And I'm just me...

The windows showed the dark night sky, from above was a chandelier bigger than my entire house. The entire room was huge, big as a parking lot, no bigger.

It was a maze of people, it was open, but there were clusters of people all chattering with each other. I really think I made a mistake... I'm feeling uncomfortable again.

Not as bad as last time but still a sense of unnerve. I don't belong here, I don't like it here.

I came here for food and I guess a fantasy experience but I forgot how bad I am with large social gatherings...

"Sweetie what's wrong?"(Cheryl)

"I- I don't like it here... I wanna go home..."(Reiko)

Cheryl asked, bending down to my level. 

"Is that so? Then how about we just go back to our rooms?"(Cheryl)

Her words and face didn't match at all. When she said that she smiled but it was not a genuine smile. A smile someone would make when they are doing something they didn't want to do.

"...no it's fine. Let's go."(Reiko)

"Oh, ok then."(Cheryl)

At least she's happy. 

"Eh? Ain't that? No way, oi!"

I heard a familiar voice, a very familiar voice, raspy-ish voice. 

When I turned around to see who it belonged to, I saw a face I didn't think I'd see in a long  time.

"How've ya been Reiko? Don' look like you've grown much taller."(Faye)

"h- hello."(Reiko)

"Ah look at that, ya cut ya hair. Wearin' a dress too I see."(Faye)

Please don't mention that...

"you're wearing one too, it's nice."(Reiko)

"Ah this, yeah, usually I wouldn't wear somethin' like this, but y'know, since itsa rich people ball an' all."(Faye)

Faye blushed a little, seeming somewhat embarrassed. It at least seemed nice on her. A very nice white accented by lavender. Ending a short skirt and short sleeves, she wore leggings along with short pants underneath.

"So, what brings ya here? Related to royalty or somethin'?"(Faye)

"ah, no no, we were given a plus one invitation..."(Reiko)

"Really? Alright then."(Faye)

"by the way, where is-"(Reiko)

"Friedrich? Yeah, the ol' man usually would be here instead of me but he has a case of being mortally burned, so I'm here instead."(Faye)

"o- oh... is he alright?"(Reiko)

"Yeah, don' worry abou' him, he's been gettin' better ever since his retirement."(Faye)

That's good to hear. 

"Are you alone?"(Reiko)

"Nah, I have Claus with me, speaking of Claus, OI CLAUS GET OVER HERE!"(Faye)

T- too loud. 

You're drawing the attention of everyone! I waved my arm around panicking, as she drew the attention of everyone around me. Umu, I wish I still had my coat. 

I could only cover my head with my hands, feeling embarrassed from all the attention.

"What is it this time?"(Claus)

From behind came a man dressed finely in a white suit, a glass of wine? on one hand and a plate of cake on the next. Shoulder length red hair, tied in a bun and oval glasses. It was the same man I saw from last time. 

He seemed to be stuffing his face so his words were a bit muffled. 

"Rememba her?"(Faye)

He shot a quick glance at me, I only raised my hand to say hello.

"Ah yes, you, been a while."(Claus)

His tone was a lot more lax than before, maybe it's because he was stuffing his face with more cake. 

...

I want some too.

"Uhm... short one, why are you staring at me like that?"(Claus)

Uh oh uhm, I was drooling a little. 

"ah, sorry..."(Reiko)

"If you want some, just go over there at the back."(Claus)

"ah, thank you... I will..."(Reiko)

Awkwardness in the air, I had to escape before I suffocate. Off to the back!

"strange kid."(Claus)

"she's jus' nervous, give her some time."(Faye)

Walking to the back made me a little uncomfortable. There was sense that everyone was looking at me, even though that was obviously not the case. 

I really am no good at this...

I want to wash these thoughts away with a bottle of beer, maybe even try something fancy for once like champagne. Ah that won't do, as long as Cheryl's here.

Cake will suffice, hopefully there is something cherry flavoured. 

As I neared the table holding onto the treats, I found myself in a predicament. 

I'm too short.

Turning around I saw Cheryl, fancying herself a glass of wine. 

I tugged to get her attention, as usual.

"Oh what is it?"(Cheryl)

Pointing up at the food I asked her to help me get a piece. 

"The cherry one please."(Reiko)

Putting aside the glass, she grabbed a plate and a knife and cut me a piece. 

"Thank you."(Reiko)

When I stabbed it with my fork, it split apart with no effort, besides the initial crust. A harmony of both pink, red and brown. 

crunch

Crispy on the outside, sweet and juicy on the inside, coating my tongue. 

Eh he~ it's too good.

All free too, I guess it was somewhat worth it after all. Wish there were more than just sweets though, haven't had meat in a while. Since it's a big expensive party, I thought there would have been things like wagyu.

"Is there anything to drink?"(Reiko)

"Uhm, let's see..."(Cheryl)

I was too short to see everything. Cheryl grabbed an extra cup, scooping up a pinkish drink and pouring it onto the cup, she took a sip. She looked trouble, staring at the cup.

I wonder what she's doing...

Suddenly she raised her hand to grab the attention of a butler. 

"Yes ma'am" 

So professional... from his clean suit and well combed hair, to his gestures. 

"Is this per chance contain alcohol?"(Cheryl)

Eyeing it only for few seconds he already knew the answer.

"No ma'am, it is nothing but regular fruit punch."

"Ah, yes thank you."(Cheryl)

Finishing off the situation, the butler bowed and left, Cheryl poured me a drink after. 

"How about we go back now that we got a little treat?"(Cheryl)

"ah, uh sure."(Reiko)

Going back-

"REIKO!"(Kamoume)

Before I knew it, I got side tackled onto the ground, spilling my juice. 

I am actually like dying going back to my older chapters, I am in pain going back, oh lord. But I'm too far in, I can't rewrite now!

3