Chapter 22: Fight a Life or Fight for a Life
749 3 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Reiko POV

"SCRAHH!"(creature)

The shriek only got louder, it was accompanied by the loud outbursts of wood breaking. Coming from the direction Mr. Kite went to, there were crashing sounds with ear bleeding yelps of pain. I pulled my white ears down, squinting my eyes. wh- what is that thing!? 

My arms and leg shook, yet rooted to the ground. The wind blew past, leaving a cold feeling from my sweat. Silver strands of hair tickled my face, my blank face, that was focused into the distance.  Sh- should I g- go? N- no! I shouldn't... I stopped my leg from moving. 

"SCHRAAAK!"(creature)

"AAHH!"(Kamoume)

My heart dropped a beat. What do I do?

No words, no sound could come out of my throat. Like a a child lost in the winding forest, I didn't know what to do. What could I do. What do I do. All I did was stand, not moving a muscle, as the scream echoed. I was useless... 

I shouldn't be like this, I should be running to save them... but, I couldn't, and because of this, because of cowardice, because of my selfishness, because of me, she will die. 

'tap'

huh? 

Cheryl was patting me again. Looking at me with a soft smile, she bent down to my level. 

"You're worried aren't you? It's okay, I am also worried. Kamoume, Moume and the driver, they're all in danger. But, standing here doing nothing is not going to change anything."(Cheryl)

A sorrowful sigh left her mouth.

"Reiko, I have made many regrets. It does not feel good, not at all. So, now run, and save them. Of course, try to avoid any unnecessary fights. If you can, try to get everyone to safety while I distract it."(Cheryl)

My entire body relaxed, I wasn't  shaking anymore. There was a confident smile on her face. 

I swallowed my saliva, my left leg moved forward, taking one step after another. I pushed the bushes away, and with one more deep breath, I ran. 

I heard the voices get louder and louder. The branches and rucks left small cuts on my legs. My socks and shoes became brown from the dirt. Dark clouds blanketed the sky, the light raindrops soaking my clothes. Suddenly, my heart dropped. Like a deer in headlights, I froze. Kamoume's voice disappeared, what happened, are they alright? 

Pushing away the final hedges, I saw what I could only describe as a disaster. The carriage completely crushed, its white covering torn apart in half. Kamoume was unconscious on the ground, her clothes shredded. 

"KAMOUME!"(Reiko)

Half of her face was painted by crimson red blood. She's dead... no, she can't be right? She's just hurt, she's a- alive! I- I, who am I kidding... I- I damnit! My hands balled up and struck the muddy ground. Maybe, Cheryl, or- or Mr. Kite can figure something out. She will be fine, right! right? My face became ugly from tears and snot. This, it happened again. If I only was better, faster, if I didn't mess up. 

"WATCH OUT!"(Cheryl)

At that moment, my head quickly turned back to see, the monster mouth wide open. Body full of burn scars. Out of nowhere, a spicy pillar made of earth shot from the ground, pushing the monster back. Cheryl flew towards it, forming a sharp gust of wind, and released it onto the monster. Blood exploded out of the side of the animal. It let out a spine-chilling and turned to face Cheryl.

Cheryl avoided all of the creature's attacks, flying around it. I grabbed Kamoume's arms and dragged her away, trying not to catch the attention of the monster. 

crack... oh...

Its attention changed, it ran to us, completely ignoring Cheryl. Like a crocodile, its mouth was wide open. The distance between us shortened quickly. I dragged Kamoume away hastily, my heart rate rocketing. Cheryl shot air bullets at the thing, but it did little to nothing. It's eyes were lifeless, crazed even.

My hands extended outwards, gathering mana to shoot out a burst of flames, yet there was nothing. Nothing came out, it felt like something was preventing me. All that was left was me in, cold sweat, defenseless from the beast. My arms jitter, before I shielded myself from it. Suddenly, it was forced off balance from the gust of wind made by Cheryl.

 I stared at the monster swiping its claws at the flying Cheryl. I scurried away with Kamoume, hiding her behind some foliage. I stumbled out, rapidly moving my head left and right. I made out a golden yellow blur, it has to be Mrs. Moume. 

Rushing towards her, I saw her once smooth skin, cut, bruised and bloodied. Her chest expanded and contracted sluggishly, her eye lids nearly closed. Her blue eyes lazily stared at me, pleading for help. 

"Nngh!"(Cheryl)

As I was trying to move Mrs. Moume away, Cheryl exclaimed in pain. A large, deep cut was on Cheryl's chest. She winced, before darting towards the monster again. She opened her hands, charging an attack. The beast retaliated, striking with its tail. Cheryl ducked under, shooting out a gust of wind at the jaw. The creature lost balance, stumbling before falling onto its side. 

"SCRAAH!"(creature)

It screamed, mouth wide open, revealing the its cluster of teeth. It turned its head, and began running towards me. Cheryl blasted a variety of attacks, only for it to weave and dodge it. As if Cheryl was nothing but a fly, it ignored her, completely focused on us. 

I sped up, using all my power to move Mrs. Moume, I was drenched with sweat and rain. My mind was scattered, thinking of anything. My hands moved in random direction, until I charged raw mana and shot at the beast. It merely brushed it off, bolting without hesitation. 

"SHYAA!"(creature)

It shrieked in pain, blood gushing out from its nose. A dark hooded figure stood in front of us, sword in hand. Like stars in the night sky, my eyes twinkled at the sight of him. 

"Mr. Ki- hugh!"(Reiko)

I couldn't believe it...

There was a sharp, cold pain in my abdomen. It was sharp and sudden, with a cold after feeling. The sword, was stabbing me. Wh- what? My legs became weak, unable to support my body. I fell face first on the ground. Mr. Kite marched slowly past me, he grabbed Mrs. Moume by the neck, and ripped the necklace off of her. 

"Your mistake was booting your only defense."(Kite)

"s- stop..."(Moume)

Kite, moved to me, staring me directly in the eye. 

"Your paralysis will be gone in two hours, good luck. Oh yeah, word of advice, don't trust what strangers give you."(Kite)

He said, a devilish grin on his face. As the monster got up, Kite threw a smoke bomb, disappearing into the smoke. Cheryl, pushed the monster back, at least she tried to. The beast tanked all the attacks, barely flinching. 

I was helpless, weak, unable to protect anyone. AH! Why did I trust him! If I wasn't so stupid I could've saved everyone! If I wasn't weak the monster would be gone by now! 

"Reiko! I understand you are mad, or sad, it doesn't matter but, our number one priority here is to get out safely. So if you can move, run with Moume, protect her while I fend this thing off!"(Cheryl)

Protect... protect... If I can't protect Mrs. Moume or Kamoume, how am I gonna keep Kana safe! She's right here, and the monster is only gonna get closer! So get up! Get up, you lazy butt! 

Mana coursed through my blood vessels, and as if by magic1or sheer plot armor -  Inordinatio my legs twitched. Regaining power, I slowly stood up. The raptor jumped, unhinged mouth, ready to bite my head off. Out of pure instinct, my arms moved to the ground. Mana poured out, and then , suddenly, a large, green tree burst out. 

Crack!

I heard something crack, looking past the tree, there was blood surging out of the animal's jaw. It looked at me with a dead stare, it's mouth unmoving. It soon rushed at me, claws wide open for strikes. As it drew closer, two large vines grew spontaneously and bound the creature in place. 

"schrah!"(creature)

It shrieked as the vines strengthened. Its purple armor cracked, its limbs stretching. Its cries weakened, until... creak... It stopped. 

It was unmoving, blood streaming out. Saliva dripped out of the monster's mouth. 

Heavy breaths left my mouth. 

"Reiko! Are you alright?"(Cheryl)

"y- yea... !"(Reiko)

I swiftly turned my head and saw Mrs. Moume, barely standing. I stumbled towards Kamoume. Her breathing slowed down to near a complete halt, her body temperature was as cold as ice. Wh- what do I do! My hands fidgeted restlessly. I- I... tears, flowed down my face. I couldn't believe it, again she got hurt, again I was too slow, again, I failed... 

I did all I could, I tried resuscitating, I tried putting pressure on her wounds, but still... nothing... 

"I- i'm sorry..."(Reiko)

...

...

...

"huh?"(Reiko)

A green light emitted from my hands, her cuts faded, her breaths stabled and her temperature returned back to normal. 

"r- reiko?"(Kamoume)

A smile rose from my face; I pulled her towards a tight hug. 

"i'm sorry..."(Reiko)

I whispered as the moon passed. 

It's a long long way to Ba Sing Se

26