Chapyer 64: Your Story.
146 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Cheryl POV

Surrounded by the warm embrace of flames. The embodiment of my will an passion.

Hugging tightly onto the girl and feeling her soft heartbeats. 

This was an act, a gift of god and I am grateful for it.

"she's... alive? But how?"(Camilla)

I can see the future right now, once she wakes up, I'll cook her a delicious meal, look for a small peaceful village for us to live and live the best life could offer.

I could just imagine it all...

...

"I STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND!

Just what is it, what is it that has you so enamoured with her!

Is it love? How can you love a total stranger like that!

How could you possibly show kindness to your enemy?

Tell me why! Why do you such things when my parents couldn't even look me the eye!

Why... why... just... why..."(Camilla)

She whimpered pitifully. But why I chose to spare her when I had the chance was because she reminded me of her.

Just a little kid...

And I can't bring myself to hurt any child, especially not a scared, little one.

"It's because you're still a little kid."(Cheryl)

Then there was only a moment of silence, broken only by the crackles of fire.

There were birds or bugs to chirp, nor were there anyone who would let out even a single word.

Life was in a stasis.

But what caught me by surprise was the sudden increase in warmth.

The ice began to thaw temperature rose to a normal level.

"I- I apologise for this misconduct of mine."(Camilla)

Her head bowed down and avoiding my eye, she spoke cold words oddly along with a sombre tone.

And before as if nothing had happened, she simply apologised.

Was I able to forgive her?

The short answer was no.

Even if she was only twelve I can't bring myself to forgive someone who put my loved ones in jeopardy.

Now I considered if she was even twelve at all, with my head cleared, there is a chance she could possibly much much older.

With that knowledge would I show mercy again? I wonder...

From what I've seen anything that has to do with the temperature revolves around her. The room is warm enough, she doesn't seem evil to me but...

Just because someone's good even with my gentle nature, I can't really seem to forgive.

"hah~..."(Reiko)

Breath, she's begun to breathe again.

I wore a smile and so did the girl beside me. 

She was so indifferent towards the death of this girl and now she's completely different.

Well forget that, right now I should let her rest.

I found a small patch of soft grass to lay her down.

Caressing her hair, I gave her a quick little peck on the head.

"Goodnight..."(Cheryl)

"mhh..."(Reiko)

Oh my, seems like she's rubbed it off. What a cheeky little one.

-----

It took a while but I was now rest assured she was properly asleep. 

I faced the black haired girl with sharp eyes. She stared back calmly.

Right now fighting or anything of such will only be a detriment. Gladly it seems like our bout has been resolved peacefully for now. This left only awkwardness in the air.

"... I again wish to apologise... I believe my emotions took the better of me."(Camilla)

Her eyes were avoiding eye contact with mine and she held her left arm with her right hand.

"Camilla Von Meyer, that is my name..."(Camilla)

Camilla was her name, I can safely assume not only by her name but her clothes and the mansion she resides in, she must've been a noble or at least came from a rich background.

"..."(Cheryl)

"..."(Camilla)

"..."(Reiko)

...

"Will you be able to accept my apology?"(Camilla)

"No.

That is not for me to decide, if you must, then say sorry to her."(Cheryl)

I said that in a stern voice.

"I understand..."(Camilla)

It was then I heard dripping noises. With her hands concealing her face, she had quickly wiped it off.

Truth be told I was still on guard. I don't think I'd have the will to injure a child but even so I kept my composure as to defend her from any possible threats.

"How can someone be so so kind? It still doesn't make sense to me..."(Camilla)

She questioned.

"All my life I have never seen someone show so much care to a stranger and even more mercy to an enemy. Just who are you?"(Camilla)

She stared with confused eyes and a melacholic smile.

Like a lost child, that's what it felt like. All malice and ill will disappeared like that, leaving a little girl in its place.

What a fool I am...

I can't help but sympathise with her.

"To me, she's more than a stranger and with you when I saw those eyes, when I was given the moment to strike, I saw fear but not just that, I saw pain and sorrow and I... just couldn't do it."(Cheryl)

...

"Really... I did not want to hurt her at first, but my own recklessness got the better of me.

I wanted to take her with me, because she was like me. Her mother like mine, her father no better. She was someone I could relate to."(Camilla)

What was that I heard.

"I saw a glimpse into her memories..."(Camilla)

I took a moment's breath to look at the girl. She could see into her memories? How? Why was that?

But even more concerning that anything, who were her parents, what does she mean by 'no better'?

More and more questions racking up.

"Who are you? What is your story?"(Cheryl)

I muttered subconsciously. 

"m- me? Well my name Camilla Von Meyer and as you can see, I am dead, I've been dead for quite sometime now."(Camilla)

She lightened up with that question having mistooken whom I was refering to. Yet I didn't say anything, I didn't correct her. I wanted to hear her story, her motive, why she was, why she did.

"Both of my parents were killed in a robbery, away, which left me to run the town alone as a child. A- and when th- that did happen, nothing was working as it should've a- and before I knew it, the town had gone near to ruin a- and I was despised by everyone."(Camilla)

She had broken down to hiccups and tears. How... pitiful...

Should I console her?

I wonder.

Getting up from the ground, I grabbed her to bring her in for a hug. But in that moment she pushed me away in resilience.

"n- no, I don't deserve such a thing."(Camilla)

Like a rabbit to a predator she retreated back.

"I don't deserve such a thing, after all that I've caused. I've caused you and her pain and I've caused...

I've caused..."(Camilla)

She swallowed her saliva and took a moment's breath.

"I've caused the death of the people in this town..."(Camilla)

She took a pause to fully say that. It seemed hard for her to muster those words and yet she did.

Curiosity struck and I leaned forward to ask more. Was this not the result of the Second Millennium War? 

What does it mean by it was her fault, perhaps, was this a recent event?

I must ask more but-

"mhmm...?"(Reiko)

But I was stopped when I heard a soft groan.

-----

Reiko POV

"mhmm...?"(Reiko)

Strange dream I had.

Quite a strange one indeed.

My eyes opening up to a welcoming face.

"goo mornii..."(Reiko)

I slurred my words.

"Good morning."(Cheryl)

Her eyes were a little wet. What happened? Was she sad?

I don't really know but maybe I should wipe them off. Raising my arms I wiped the tears with my small hand.

On that note, I continued by getting up from the ground and reflexively stretched my entire body.

That really was a good sleep wasn't it.

But where am I, this isn't where I had been a few seconds ago.

...

"AH!"(Reiko)

E- eh eh enemy!

Stranger alert! It's a stranger it's a itsa itsa itsa girl?

Eh?

Wait no... I remember thay face... isn't that the girl from my dream?

The one with the angel guy thing...

Wait what was her name?...

It was... it was...

"Camilla?"(Reiko)

"Oh yes, that is me, hello."(Camilla)

...now there are questions, first who, why and when?

"w- who are you? Wh- why am I here, why were you in my dreams and when did this even happen!"(Reiko)

I shouted in stutters.

"Well, good morning, my name is Camilla Von Meyer. I am a spirit of this mansion..."(Camilla)

What's going on? Why did she pause all of a sudden?

She took a breath before looking dead in my eyes.

Taking another breath she said,

"and I'm sorry..."(Camilla)

Sorry?

Sorry for what?

What did she do?

I cocked my head to the side looking at her confused.

"for what?"(Reiko)

A little stunned but she kept her composure.

"...I was responsible for all of this, I was the one who took and you and almost killed you.

Even if you do not forgive, I hope you can understand, that... I did it out of loneliness, my own selfish needs.

I'm sorry."(Camilla)

Loneliness...

Was she the cause everything that happened today?

From the demons, to the arms to everything.

...

"Were you the one in my dreams? The girl who ran the town alone, thr girl who was abandoned, the girl who met the angel?"(Reiko)

...

"Yes I am."(Camilla)

I remembered that dream so vividly and it was in fact real.

Was she a dream spirit? Was this the truest extent of magic? Or was it something else entirely?

Camilla, the one responsible for everything today.

I don't have any obligations for forgiveness, but... I understand.

I relate.

I did somethings, unforgivable things when I lost control of my emotions and yet I was forgiven.

She died unwanted and alone. If this town is anything to go by, she spent much of her existence alone.

Living in such a life seems normal at first until you find out what it feels like to not be alone.

And it hurts to feel abandoned, alone again, that feeling of worry creeps and makes it impossible to do anything but latch onto companionship.

Even if that means lying, you don't want to let go of that happy future.

I-

I-

"I understand... I forgive you..."(Reiko)

I said grabbing her hands and looking into her eyes.

"Why, how do you forgive and accept such a pathetic, dishonest being like me?"(Camilla)

She said so, but strangely, when I looked into her eyes I only saw a reflection.

"It's alright... I know how it feels."(Reiko)

"... thank you."(Camilla)

Opening my arms for a hug, she didn't comply... she wiped her eyes and then with some hesitation pulled me into a tight embrace.

It was a bit clumsy but it got the job done. It was a little awkward with her being almost a head taller.

Almost a head taller than me...

From the side I felt the gaze of Cheryl.

My companion who's stuck by my side till all this time.

Was I ready to tell her.

She deserves to know, but I'm scared. I'm scared to be alone again, I don't want to be abandoned.

But this tug in my heart... she needs to know, who I really am.

I gently let go of Camilla and faced Cheryl.

For the last time I contemplated my decision, my choice. Staring down at my hands, staring into myself.

"...Cheryl... I have to something to say..."(Reiko)

"Hmm? What is it?"(Cheryl)

Heart pounding as I looked at her. My palms became sweaty and it became harder to breath.

Just a couple words, that's all I have to say.

"...I-

...

Thank you for everything you've done for me!"(Reiko)

I said with a fake grin.

I went back on my decision. In the end I was too scared to say anything.

Truly a pathetic loser I am.

In a narrative sense, Camilla isn't much of a person.

4