Chapter 66: Eerie Basement
160 3 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Reiko POV

"Funyahh..."(Reiko)

I slept pretty well...

Hmmm? I smell something good. Following the smell I went down the stairs.

I think I've been getting a little too comfortable in this life. Camilla in a sort of apology let us live with her for a while and it's already been a couple days.

Well not really a couple, more like five... four... almost a week at least, I don't know, I'm not one to really keep track of days.

"Ah good morning~!"(Cheryl)

"Good morning."(Camilla)

As soon as I was down, I was greeted by both ghosts. Cheryl was stir frying some fruits, vegetables and nuts on a pan, right next to her Camilla was setting the table. Even though it was already set, she was making little adjustments to make it perfect. 

"goo mori..."(Reiko)

Sitting down on a seat, Cheryl brought over a plate of food. 

Green vegetables, red and yellow fruits, all lathered in a golden, sticky sauce. Taking a bite, I was met with a sweet and a little tangy flavour. It had a very homey taste to it, it wasn't gourmet but wasn't cheap like instant foods. 

It was pretty good all things together, if only it wasn't the fourth time I had it this week...

Yes, Cheryl was a good cook given the utensils and ingredients, but... there weren't many ingredients to begin with. Cheryl's meals also all had a similar feeling to it, so there was a lack of diversity. 

But nevertheless, I was grateful to eat something other than baked mushrooms. 

Camilla seems to enjoy it though.

Strangely, she only eats when the food is good...

"Thank you for the meal."(Reiko)

Saying so, I grabbed my plate and took it to the sink for a wash. 

"Come on Reiko, let me handle it this time."(Cheryl)

Always adamant about doing chores but I always stood my ground, I was not about to let myself be spoiled! 

"It's okay, it's the least I could do."(Reiko)

"If you say so..."(Cheryl)

Cheryl receded, albeit a little sadly. I grabbed a sponge and quickly got to work, there wasn't much to do anyway. Reminds me of the days when I used to wash dishes for a living. 

Finishing up, I was left with... well nothing much really. I'd be in a rush to find civilization soon as to secure food and water but everything's been covered while living in here, it kinda leaves nothing for me to do...

Ah! That's right Kana! 

Can't lose main objective here! How could I forget! 

For the longest time, I had no idea what to do! If only I had something to help me! 

I wonder... I wonder...

I scratched my chin to think of an idea...

I wonder...

"Hey, Camilla, do you have anything that can like... help find someone...?"(Reiko)

"huh? Ur oh... I may, I have very trinkets from my family's old collection, maybe there might be one. Try go looking for it, don't ask me, I don't quite remember where I keep them."(Camilla)

"I can?"(Reiko)

"Y- yes you may."(Camilla)

"Th- thank  you!"(Reiko)

I quickly bowed and ran down the hall. I don't exactly know where it is, and neither does Camilla, but even if it takes me hours to find, just having the possibility of finding her makes me feel excited. 

"Huhuhu~ Looks you two are getting close."(Cheryl)

"Wh- what no not really... I mean, I guess yeah..."(Camilla)

I didn't quite hear what they said, actually I did, all thanks to these ears but, everything just filtered out, I choose to filter it out. 

-----

Opening and slamming the door methodically, I saw plain empty rooms to closets to guest rooms. Offices and bathrooms, but in the end I didn't find much useful things.

"Hah... I'm sleepy..."(Reiko)

I dunno how long I've been at it now... I'm tired. 

"Everything alright?"(Cheryl)

"yeah, but I'm having no luck finding anything here..."(Reiko)

I said walking down the hallway. Pit patters that could be heard across the entire mansion reduced to silent thumps as I trudged farther. 

I'm no good at this, wait huh? What's this?

A door opened to reveal a large staircase, leading downstairs. Was this, the basement!? This could be it! People store their things in basements right? Or is it the attic? I don't know, never had either but that doesn't matter.

A little jubilantly with pep in my steps, I quickly rushed downstairs. 

...

---

Camilla POV

A pleasant morning. 

Indeed a pleasant morning. 

Sitting alone on a bench just out my garden, within the boundaries of where I can go, but still far enough to ignore it all. Sipping tea, it was nothing special, nor was it anything good in quality but it has a nostalgic taste to it, after having drank this for the last fiftyish years. 

It's really been a while since I've seen another soul, yet alone someone who can forgive and care for a sinner like I. 

Right now, the two are living with me and I can't help but say... I feel happy.

Maybe happy is an overstatement... it makes me glad... 

no no, happy.

But even so, I know they'll leave. The little one is even asking for something to help navigate. 

Truth be told, I do have a tool like that. I know where it is, I know where I keep it but, I am scared of what will happen if I give it to her. That item is a cursed, diabolical one, something I've kept away, deep underground. 

It may be paranoia that made me do that to it.

Some time had passed since then.

Would be it just better if I give her it, so that she can smile? However, even if she does smile, would that mean they will leave me? Abandoned again, alone?

I don't want that. 

I truly don't...

---

Reiko POV

"Wh- what is this place? "(Reiko)

Cobblestone floor, mossy walls and wooden beams stricken with mold. 

I don't feel comfortable here. At any moment I feel like I could get a lung infection...

I- shouldn't be here, it was mistake, I should leave I-

Thunk

What is this that I stepped on?

It's hard, yellowish brown and round, hollowed out with a hole. 

Turning it around I-

"It's a skull... IT'S A SKULL! AHHH!"(Reiko)

Immediately dropping I fell back down and caught my breath. It is nothing to worry about, it's just bones... b- but who's bones are they? It it could possibly Camilla! That's it, that's it.

Hueeoo, danger averted.

And I thought it was anything serious, it was just simply a-

Thunk

Th- th- there is two!!!

"HYAAH!!"(Reiko)

n- no, there's more. 

I fell down on my butt as I saw in horror. The golden brown of human skeletons surrounding me like a plague. It was a sight to see, not a pleasant one. 

Scurrying up from the ground, I backed away. 

It feels like... they're looking at me...

I have to run, get away!

Hurrying through the door and slamming it shut. Not a second's thought on what that was, I was just catching my breath.

It's okay, they're just skulls, it's not scary... not scary at all.

Even if my mind was calm, my body begged to differ. It has a mind of its own, this body, and it's dragging me along with it. 

"Are you alright, were you scared?"(Cheryl)

"y- yeah, I'm alright."(Reiko)

I mustered out.

"Doesn't seem like it, be honest with me here."(Cheryl)

"Truthfully, I was just a little frightened and surprised, that's all."(Reiko)

Laughing awkwardly I answered. I think I was still just a little tense from when we first came here, it's either that or... something else entirely... something I hope is not the truth.

...

I am worried, that... I am changing. 

My sense of self and perceived self, it feels like it's getting younger. Not just how I behave but I how I even see myself. 

I am worried if this happen; would anyone accept it. To know that I am a reincarnated soul, worse an old man in a little girl's body. 

I don't want to think about this.

So, I am curious now, why there are the skeletons, like a whole bunch of them, not just one.

What was it that happened in here. 

"Hey, what happened? Why did you scream just now?"(Camilla)

Speaking of the devil, she showed up. Should I tell her what I saw? I- I think I should, I think I can trust her. 

"There... in there... there were... skeletons..."(Reiko)

Pointing at the basement door, I told her what I saw. 

"That... I was hoping you didn't find that..."(Camilla)

She was down, worried and colour flushed out of her face. She clenched her heart and backed away. Deep in her eyes, it was written in sheer terror.

"I'd rather not talk about it right now, I'm sorry."(Camilla)

Saying that she left my sight, going through the walls in a rush. 

"w- wait..."(Reiko)

Had I done something wrong? Was it a sensitive topic? What did I do? What did she do? What is this all about!

Umu...

Anxiety crept as I crossed my fingers hoping it was nothing at all...

-----

The day went by as if nothing had happened, except for one fact, Camilla was no longer with us. Camilla just disappeared and never showed up, causing the two of us to worry.

Sun had soon set, I ate my dinner albeit, I didn't eat much. 

It was at the time where Cheryl had gone to sleep. 

Feeling something in the back of head, something clawing telling me to do something. 

It nagged and scraped my psyche. 

Intrusive thoughts took over and I got up from the bed. Looking at the necklace, the very necklace I had since the beginning, I chose to do something I never had ever done before. 

I chose to leave it alone.

It was my first time in forever doing something alone, but I had a feeling, a sense that I should look into the basement again, alone. I didn't want to bother Cheryl nor wake her up, this was closure for me! 

Frankly, I am scared, I've truly gotten dependent on Cheryl too much. 

Let's try to be more independent, I have no idea when and where I could be separated.

Squeeekkk....

Shoot! Don't squeak right now!

I tiptoed farther and farther till I was far enough then I-

Pitterpatter Pitterpatter Pitterpatter Pitterpatter...

Mission success! I sneaked away from 'The Cheryl'.

Opening the door, I was greeted by the same ominous staircase. 

I swallowed my saliva and then took a step down with shaky legs. 

I smell the murky smell of moss and dust. Every step I took echoed in the hollow room. My body was shaking, the air was chilling. I purposely ignored the bones but soon it became almost impossible.

As the numbers increased so did my worry.

"I... should go back..."(Reiko)

I'm not sure anymore, but I've come this far...

Taking a deep breath, I rushed forward without thought. Why am I doing this?

Is it to find some kind of magical item?

No it was not...

At this point it was to feed my own morbid curiosity...

There should be some kind of clue, something was drawing me in to this part of the mansion, something... something...

But...

"wh- what-"(Reiko)

I would soon find out...

"-is... that..."(Reiko)

Something, I shouldn't have.

I think Olms are cute.

4