Chapter 68: Camilla’s Request
144 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Reiko POV

"I-..."(Reiko)

Didn't know what to say.

Dumbfounded, I was dumbfounded. 

There was only silence between the two of us, but Camilla nodded somberly. 

"I'm sorry."(Reiko)

Were the only words I could say. 

"Don't be."(Camilla)

Picking up one of the skulls, she looked at it with longing eyes. 

"It was imminent, hmm, I think I've been using language a bit too complex for you no?"(Camilla)

H- hey! 

Even if I wanted to rebut, I chose to keep my mouth shut for the time. 

"Well, simply, it was going to happen anyway... Eventually they were going to tip, even with my parents our town was struggling, put me in charge, well you could say our wings got clipped, ha ha~"(Camilla)

She laughed it off as if it wasn't anything to her. 

"In the end, they were going to riot, they were hungry, tired and frustrated. It truly was my fault after all, not being able to keep my promise of leading this town."(Camilla)

"B- but it wasn't your fault! You were forced into that position, you never had a choice! You weren't ready!"(Reiko)

Dismissively, she shook her head no.

"One day you'll learn, responsibility should always be placed on the strong, the smart, the fortunate. I was the only one in this town to have a proper education... most if not all those who could read, count or write left for the bigger cities and kingdoms.

...Although this town existed for a long long time, the population only blew a hundred ten, hundred twenty years ago. Refugees who had lost their homes flocked for shelter in this mostly unknown haven, but most of them were peasants of course, the commoners, the uneducated.

It was lead by my great grandfather, the then mayor and then my father, then me...

As the daughter of the mayor and the only one who could read, of course I was left in charge. But I wasn't too great, I failed many times and our bad situation became worse.

It was not their fault for being angry, they had full right to be. If I was in their shoes, I'd be angry too."(Camilla)

Picking up a skeletal head, she held it with two hands, deeply staring into it. It was smaller than those that surrounded it, it looked like it belonged to a child, possibly my age- er no...

"To this day I regret what I've done, so many lives lost. 

Reiko... I know that it seems harsh but that's how the world is. Someday you'll understand this feeling of mine, maybe you'll have a special something or special someone you need take care of."(Camilla)

Even if you say that, I do know what it's like to care for someone.

But it didn't seem right, she sacrificed so much for them, yet never got anything return. How much must she work herself and live in guilt for failing them.

How much must she give up, her hobbies, her dreams!?

How much restless nights did she go through!?

How much must she suffer before she can be happy!?

How much, how much! How much...

"Oh my what's wrong?"(Camilla)

I didn't seem to notice at first, but I was crying. 

"It's alright, there, there..."(Camilla)

Her comforting was awkward but somewhat effective but why am I crying? Why? Why?

This stupid body can't control its own emotion! 

I want it to stop but it doesn't. 

"Shh..."(Camilla)

She wiped the last remaining drop with the hem of her dress. 

Strangely enough I calmed down by her hush. Every day, every night, I don't know what's happening to me. The original me would've felt bad for her yeah, but I wouldn't have ended up crying. 

I used to be able to control my feelings, suppress them and hide them but now I can't.

"I'm alright now, don't worry."(Camilla)

"...if you say so..."(Reiko)

"You're a mess, come here, let's fix you up."(Camilla)

"uh? Uwoh!"(Reiko)

I was picked up by Camilla like a doll and a carried away.

In no time I was taken to a room and placed on a chair. Grabbing a wooden brush, she gently combed my long hair. 

"A bit tangled here and there, were you rolling around on the bed?"(Camilla)

"y- yeah... it was hard to sleep when I am curious..."(Reiko)

"Really... but before you got here, not the basement the entire mansion I mean, you seemed to have trouble sleeping? Why is that?"(Camilla)

In the background there were only sounds of soft brushing. 

Why did I have trouble sleeping? Huh...

Weird...

I guess the ground was bumpy or I guess I didn't like sleeping on dirt? But I don't think that's the case, I mean I did spend a week in that forest when I reincarnated.

"I dunno, maybe... I dunno."(Reiko)

"Hmm... oh wait I have an idea, wait here."(Camilla)

Dropping the brush she flew away.

In no time she returned holding something in her arms. She stared wistfully at the thing before handing it over. 

"Here have this."(Camilla)

A fuzzy brown bear, with one button eye, the other missing. Despite its age it was still big and fat. Big and fat with small, stuffy paw and pot belly. 

"Edward!"(Reiko)

I had seen it before, in that weird dream, except it was a little muted with age and... missing an eye.

"Oh, how do you know his name!"(Camilla)

Ah... how do I explain this...

"So... so like there was this dream... vision thingy and I... saw like a memory... your memory?"(Reiko)

Status: Panicking

She was looking at me confused.

Physical Check: Sweaty

"I... uh, I'm not lying..."(Reiko)

...

"He he~"(Camilla)

Camilla laughed it off and ruffled my hair. We spent all that time brushing only to ruin it...

"Maybe you got some of my memories when I looked into yours~"(Camilla)

Wah...

...

AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

She saw into my memories!? Huh what why!? 

Invasion of privacy! INVASION OF PRIVACY!!!

Oh no no no no no!

What did she see? Did she too much!?

"Wai- wait what's wrong? Are you alright?"(Camilla)

Huh? What?

Oh Statera I'm crying again.

But I can't stop it. 

"Wha wha what did you see!? Did you you...!?"(Reiko)

"I- I didn't see much it's alright...

It was all vague, nothing was for certain, it's alright I didn't see anything embarrassing okay?"(Camilla)

"wha- what did you really see...?"(Reiko)

"uhh, it's hard to explain, it's more sensing than seeing really. Like everything I feel is just a general feeling not exact memories. I know your parents... I know that you've been alone for a while now but I don't know what or how."(Camilla)

oh, phew... at least I think it's a phew moment, what if she's lying what if-

"I'm not lying, it's alright."(Camilla)

H- how did she know that oh god oh god!

"What you're thinking is written all over your face."(Camilla)

Patting me on the back to reassure me; I did eventually calm down. 

I'm putting my trust in her. 

"It is strange for someone to access my memories though, never seen it happen, then again, there isn't much written about us spirits."(Camilla)

"I guess so."(Reiko)

Whoo Whoo

Owls were whooing in the background. 

"Come on, it's late, let's go to sleep."(Camilla)

"okay."(Reiko)

Cheryl was sleeping quietly the entire time. I was a little gross from the sweat and dust but I think it should be fine. Placing down the bear to the side I jumped onto and snuggled inside the blanket. 

"hey you forgot this."(Camilla)

She whispered, handing me Edward.

"oh it's okay, I don't need it."(Reiko)

"oh..."(Camilla)

"on second thought, give it to me."(Reiko)

I said after seeing her visibly frown.  

"goodnight."(Camilla)

"goodnight."(Reiko)

She had soon fallen asleep and left me with Edward. 

Umu... I'm starting to fully become a little girl now... long hair, I've worn a dress... that one time, and now the bear. 

Never let Kana see this-! 

-----

A blissful world, skies painted like a soft pastel painting. Underneath the patchwork clouds was a blanket of red and white checker patterns. 

"When did you have the time to make sandwiches? Aren't you always busy?"(Kana)

"I'd do anything to make you happy and now that you're healthy, I can finally take you on the picnic that you always wanted to go on."(Reiko)

With a smile I said to her as she nibbled on her sandwich.

"Thank you brother."(Kana)

She replied back with a cheery smile. 

After so long, we could finally go out together. Her bob cut was a healthy black, her skin no longer green or sickly. It's been such a long time since we've actually done something together that it feels a little weird. But that's alright, she's happy.

"But hey, isn't it strange to call you the older brother?"(Kana)

Huh? What do you mean?

"I mean you're smaller than me now, you're smaller than most elementary schoolers too."(Kana)

"wh- what do you mean? It can't be helped, you know that..."(Reiko)

"I mean you're not even a man. How can you protect me if you can't even protect yourself? How can you do anything with such a weak, tiny body?"(Kana)

S- stop! What's gotten into you? 

"You're even hugging a teddy bear too."(Kana)

What?

Huh- hah!? 

When did this get here!? 

A soft stuffed bear with button eyes, staring directly at me. 

"Crying already? You're too soft, I'm leaving."(Kana)

W- wait! 

I reached out for her but my short arms couldn't even reach her back as she walked away. never looking back.

...

!!!

I shot up on the bed in cold sweats. 

Another night terror...

"... don't look at me."(Reiko)

As I woke up I had realised that I had been hugging onto the bear. I quickly set him aside. 

It was the break of dawn, about time where I should wake up. 

But then again, I didn't have much sleep last night did I?

Well that's ok, it's manageable.

"mhmm, morning~"(Cheryl)

"ah, morning."(Reiko)

"what's that over there~"(Cheryl)

"oh, he's edward."(Reiko)

"given him a name already? That's cute..."(Cheryl)

"ah- wait no no no! It was Camilla's, she just gave it to me and-"(Reiko)

Not letting me finished, she put a finger on my lips and shushed me.

"shh, Camilla's still sleeping."(Cheryl)

"s- sorry..."(Reiko)

My cheeks were dyed red from embarrassment. 

What a way to wake up.

...

The day went by as normal as it could be. Breakfast, lunch, dinner...

Nothing much to do in the day. We've stayed here long enough, maybe it's about time we get on the move, but... I feel bad leaving Camilla all alone like that.

Even if it feels bad to leave her, it's not like it's a choice, I have things to do, places to be. Maybe I can try bringing her along? But how would I do that? 

I don't know enough about ghosts to do this kind of thing...

Maybe if I-

"Hey Reiko"(Camilla)

"Ah!"(Reiko)

"Sorry for scaring you, but can ask you a favor? You too Cheryl."(Camilla)

"ah okay."(Reiko)

Soon we found ourselves in the same decrepit basement. 

"Here again...?"(Cheryl)

"yes."(Camilla)

The three of us walked for a bit until we reached our destination. In sight of it Cheryl was taken aback, pointing at it and staring at Camilla asking for an answer without mustering a word and she only nodded.

"It may be a bit of lengthy task, but could you help bury the bodies of the deceased."(Camilla)

"s- sure. I'll do it."(Reiko)

"I shall help as well."(Cheryl)

"Thank you."(Camilla)

-----

"Uncha!"(Reiko)

That should be about all.

Huwah! I'm tired. 

With the three of us we finished within a day, all buried in Camilla's backyard. 

I found myself slumped all over a bench exhausted with days work.

Camilla looked over them pleased. I wonder, couldn't she have done this herself?

Should I ask?

"Hey, why didn't you do this by yourself? Like over the last couple decades?"(Reiko)

She paused a moment hearing that. 

I shouldn't have asked.

"Uh you don't have to say it if you don't want to!"(Reiko)

"It's alright, it's nothing serious. Personally, I never had a reason to go back to that room. It was the source of my suffering after all, I never wanted to see it again. But, through some series of events, I ended going back to it regardless."(Camilla)

"uhh... sorry..."(Reiko)

"It's alright, it wasn't entirely your fault."(Camilla)

She picked up a white flower with blue accents. It's pellets were delicate to the touch and from the looks of it, it was one of a kind. Surrounded by flowers different from it, it stood out like a sore thumb, but in a good way, a healthy thumb.

"Every now and then, this would appear in my garden, it was not periodic nor predictable, but it always, always brought in more life to this humble plot. 

At first I was shocked, but eventually I grew to love it for what it did and although it never stayed long, only about a week or two before it wilted, I cherished every moment I could.

It's a tragedy I never learned its name..."(Camilla)

Turning back she faced me with a warm smile. With the flower in her hand she tied the stem around my hair like clip. 

Heuh? What's this!?

"Before you leave I have one last request."(Camilla)

"What is it?"(Reiko)

We're coming to the end of this not so long, long arc. I was originally planning on starting a new novel after 1k reader milestone but I don't even know if I can anymore. Ehh... I'll think about it.

6