Chapter 71: Haircutting!
146 3 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Reiko POV

W- woah... This is new...

It took us a couple days to actually make it Noxton, after all, using just a map isn't always helpful if you didn't quite know where you are but we managed.

The roads were paved in yellow bricks with street lamps to the side. Houses were the simple European cottages but overall, it had a much more developed feeling compared to P'horruki. 

Noxton at least had a peaceful and lively atmosphere to it which was refreshing, although there were these soldiers dressed in a white uniforms with an emblem of a 'U' patched on. They were off, so on guard and professional.

But there is one thing I did find pretty strange overall. It was pretty easy to get in. There was a guard in the same attire as the soldiers. He didn't ask anything except for our names and let us just waltz in after...

I wonder...

"Cheryl,"(Reiko)

"Yes?"(Cheryl)

"how come the guards were lax to us going inside?"(Reiko)

I asked puzzled by the fact.

"Ah that, well that's because it's an allied nation to Utopia."(Cheryl)

Utopia? Is that some sort of superpower? Maybe a union?

Noticing my expression, Cheryl went over to a newsboy and bought a paper. She brought it over and pointed at a symbol. 

On the cheap piece of paper was well of course news but more importantly there was a 'U' on the top left corner. 

"Utopia?"(Reiko)

I blurted out subconsciously revealing my lack of knowledge. 

"Yes, all nations allied with Utopia do not have much of an identity check. But for the safety of residents there is indeed a high surveillance police force patrolling each town. Actually, the place we are going to, Labelle, is also an allied nation of Utopia. To be more precise, Noxton is a part of Labelle. 

A small city located in the outskirts of Labelle."(Cheryl)

It seems like my assumption was correct. 

Utopia does seem like a sort of government from what I've heard. 

"Are the police supplied by Utopia itself?"(Reiko)

"Oh yes it is."(Cheryl)

That would probably explain the people dressed in white. 

But I do find it strange that they supply guards to foreign nations, very strange. High surveillance yet they let anyone in... I wonder what sort of thing is going on. 

Ah, my head hurts.

I shouldn't care about politics at all, it probably wont affect me anyway.

From the looks of it, it feels like Cheryl's been here before and while she wasn't the best at navigating the city, she did seem to know more about this place than Traumland and obviously more than P'horruki. 

I did appreciate the fact the fact she could help us get to places in this pretty big city, but I did have one problem though,

"Let go."(Reiko)

"I can't do that, you will get lost!"(Cheryl)

She's holding my arm like I'm a dumb child! It doesn't even make sense, how can I get lost if you are tied to me! 

I swear she's been treating me more like a child as of recent. I'm a man, lady I'm a man!

 Hmmph!

Hnng!

I ran ask fast I could the opposite direction in hopes for her to loosen her grip, but I couldn't even make her budge! Monstrous strength.

I didn't notice at first, but it seems like I've garnered the attention of some passerby's. 

Uwah...

I decided to just follow obediently while hiding my face.

She took me to a counter with a window separating us and the man inside, a small hole on the bottom. 

"Two tickets to Labelle please."(Cheryl)

"That would be about four hundred quillos."

He gave her two white tickets in exchange for the money. I tugged on her shirt to catch her attention and asked to see the tickets. It was schedule for seven p.m. four hours from now.

I guess we have some time to relax. 

"Hmm, Reiko your hair is getting a little too long, wouldn't you say so?"(Cheryl)

Stopping for a second, I looked down to see. The ends of my hair had reached down to my knees.

I guess it is pretty long...

And a little heavy too...

"Yeah it is."(Reiko)

I think it's about time I get a cut.

Cheryl holding my hand looked around the block until her eyes met a little barber shop. 

"Over there, we should have enough time to get you a haircut, what do you say?"(Cheryl)

She said with a smile. 

Brown brick walls and glass tainted grey. It was cozy, it had a sign dubbed 'Stylish Hair'. 

"Oh, sure."(Reiko)

I nodded.

Bring bring~

"Welcome~!"(Barber)

Said the barber lady. 

A row of wooden chairs with cushions, each one in front of a giant mirror. It's so big, it was like, more than double my height. 

The barber lady walked up to Cheryl and asked her a question.

"What brings you in today? A light trim or perhaps you'd like to style it."(Barber)

Cheryl waved her hands, and then gestured towards me.

"It's her who needs a cut."(Cheryl)

"Oh hello, I didn't notice you there, hello cutie, what might your name be?"(Barber)

"hello..."(Reiko)

She was a little overwhelming, having a very friendly and talkative feel to her. 

"So, what kind of cut are you in for today?"(Barber)

She asked, bending down to my level. 

"I want to cut it short, about here."(Reiko)

I pointed at my hair, all the way up to chin level. You were alright up to this point, but now I have to say goodbye hair. I can already imagine how cool and refreshing it's gonna be getting rid of you.

"Ah w- wait, Reiko dear that is a bit too much isn't it?"(Cheryl)

"Nngh, I want to get rid of it, it's too uncomfortable."(Reiko)

Her face lost its colour, panicked. 

"B- but, it's so pretty, it would be such a shame to cut it all off."(Cheryl)

I mean, yeah I guess, it is nice. A bright platinum in colour and it's pretty thick too. Silky to the touch too, much much different from how my hair was back on earth. I understand your plight, long hair on girls are pretty, but short haired girls are pretty too! Er...

My mind has been made, cut it all of Ms. Barber!

"Reiko let's just cut it shoulder high, okay? We can get ice cream after alright?"(Cheryl)

Ice cream? They have ice cream too? 

This world's more developed than I thought...

But bribery won't work!

"I've already made up my mind."(Reiko)

...

"Hah~ alright, I can't make your decisions, do you what you want."(Cheryl)

Thank you!

She sighed a little dejected but conceited in the end. 

"fufu~"(Barber)

What's so funny?

"Sorry, I can't help myself from laughing seeing a mother and daughter quarrel over silly things."(Barber)

Eh? Daughter?

"No, no."(Reiko)

I said shaking my head.

"You're making a mistake! I'm an adult! An adult!"(Reiko)

"Sure you are~"(Barber)

She patted my head and ignored my statement. 

I argued my case but it just fell on deaf ears. It felt unfair but then again, if I was in her situation I'd also think it's just a child being a child and saying weird things.

Uwah, curse this body, I wonder if there is a transformation spell, that'd be convenient. 

In no time I was called over. Sitting on a tall wooden chair, that I had to climb, a barber cape was place over my shoulder. 

"Anything to drink?"(Barber)

"ah, no thank you."(Reiko)

I declined her offer. 

She grabbed a pair of silver scissors and began cutting.

Snip snip snip~

Tuffs of hair fell down like an avalanche. On the floor there was a flood of white hair. So much hair...

"I've never seen hair this long before, and not only that it's silky and pretty too, no wonder your 'mother' didn't want it cut."(Barber)

"eh he... thank you..."(Reiko)

Uwah, my face is flushed red from embarrassment. I was too flustered to even comment on the 'mother' part. But... it is nice to get complimented. 

But it doesn't feel right. 

Have I been called cute? Well in this life yeah but that's not something I wanted to hear either way. 

But being praised for something like hair quality... it doesn't feel right for me to hear this type of thing. I'm no good at this, it's making me too flustered! These type of things should go to actually pretty people, not a slug like me!

Ouh, just take the compliment! It's not like you have the same body as last time.

...

Ah but I can't!

"What kind of shampoo do you use? Conditioner too? Do you go to hair salons often?"(Barber)

"huh? Oh ah I-, I use, um, water..."(Reiko)

I is genius, I is smooth. 

"Really? Good genes I guess. Where are you from? I don't remember seeing your face before. Hmm, could you be from the village that just appeared? I heard there were a lot of your kind there."(Barber)

"n- no... I'm not really from there..."(Reiko)

So talkative, how am I supposed to keep up with this!

Snip snip snip~

Seemingly noticing my discomfort, she became quiet. The me in the mirror at this point had lost most of his hair. 

"And done~ Ta da!"(Barber)

Woah, such a clean cut. About chin length and I still kept my bangs. It was very professionally and well done but I do have a gripe. 

It was... not what I expected... that's for sure.

It was messy like an animal's mane, but overall, it was giving me a girlish look. Hair was longer than I expected, maybe to appease Cheryl who she deems as my 'parental figure'.  

And I wanted to look manly too...

I can hear Cheryl's giggling in the background.

"Follow me, over here."(Barber)

Hueh!? It's not done?

I was guided over to a reclining chair. Gently the barber placed a towel over my eyes. 

"Tell me, if it's hot or cold, kay?"(Barber)

"ah, ungh, okay."(Reiko)

Warm water washed my hair aided by the gentle massaging of the barber. I smelt the scent of shampoo, as she rubbed my head and rinsed. It felt as if my body had lost its tension. 

Was this what hair salon was like? 

If I had known sooner, I would've visited more often~ 

...no, I wouldn't have...

Soon it was over. She dried my hair using towel and magic like Cheryl had and used an ointment to treat it. 

Looking in the mirror I found myself looking different but similar. Not too far in the distance I can hear Cheryl cooing. It wasn't... what I really expected, but it wasn't bad by any means. 

I blame this face, it doesn't make me look any older or manly. Beady eyes, small mouth with a smaller singular fang. Chibi and round face. All packaged up with ears and a tail!

I guess... it can't be helped.

"Thank you come again~!"(Barber)

We left the salon not before paying of course. 

"Short hair on you looks cute too, I was a little worried that you might look a little too much like a boy, I guess I was worrying for nothing! Eh he~"(Cheryl)

Looks like someone was more ecstatic than I am. 

Walking across the city, still some time left until our departure, I felt a faint scent. Freshly baked bread. I'm not that into bread but having eaten only nuts and berries for the past few weeks, I'm starting to crave some pastries.

Grr...

Even Mr. Tummy wants some too.

I looked around for the source of the smell and found a little bakery. Nudging Cheryl to go we walked over to it.

'Small and quaint', were words to describe the place. Bread being shown off in a row my eyes were quickly scouring for some lunch. Sourdough, croissants, twisted donuts, a whole slew of bread.

To be honest I think I drooled a bit.

So much selections... I don't know what to choose.

Oh, I know.

My eyes caught a particular snack. Pull apart pizza bread. When was the last time since I had something pizza? I think it was about three years ago on her fourteenth birthday.

At the time it was inconvenient for me to order... anything as of that matter, didn't have money too... but now is different!

I grabbed the tongs and the trey and put the bread to lay. Over by the cashier uncle, I ordered and bought my delicious lunch.

Happy with my purchase, I rushed outside and took a bite, of course I pulled the piece out, I'm not a savage!

Cheesy, gooey, melty. Sauce coating my tongue practically hugging it. The bread was soft and fresh, it wasn't that sweet but it was still tasty. 

He he~ so good.

Times like these makes me glad I died.

I took a second piece for another bite but it disappeared! 

Huh?

"Hm, yummy~"(Cheryl)

Oh... not cool!

"Hey!"(Reiko)

Hmph, I can't even look at you. If you wanted some just ask.

"Uh hey Reiko, reiko? Sweetie? It's just a prank!"(Cheryl)

You can plead as much as you want, but you will only meet my back!

-----

"Ah look at the time, we better get going before the train leaves."(Cheryl)

Following behind Cheryl we ran to the station and got our tickets checked. 

"Current train to Porte! Next train to Ducat! After that train to Labelle!"

My ears picked up the yelling of a man. We made it in time. There was a number of people waiting in groups for the train, not a mob but still a sizeable amount. 

To our sides I saw a little shops, selling food, books and other knickknacks, keeping a distance from the train tracks itself. 

This world was much more advanced than I thought.

There were no trains yet, we still have a bit of time or so till we actually have to get on. 

"We have some time until our train arrives, do you want anything? We can buy something to eat while we wait."(Cheryl)

"I'm good, I'm full."(Reiko)

I replied as I took a seat on a bench nearby.

I wonder what type of train it would be, probably an old timey tank engine. This world is more advanced than I thought it would be but I doubt it's anything modern. 

The station doesn't have intercom, so I doubt it's an electric train.

FUOOM!

Oh I hear it coming.

It's not ours so it doesn't really matter whether I look at it or not but I want to see what the trains look like in this, WOAH!

"Huahh..."(Reiko)

What is that!?

It had fur and a face! Is it an animal? My curiosity was beyond control now. The train's front was replaced by derpy lizard-like face. White fur and a big round eye!

It looked fluffy, I want to touch it. 

Its long body also with fur but also glass and metal. The train was alive, an alive train! Isn't this considered animal abuse? 

So many legs, wheels underneath its belly. 

A door opened and a flood of people came out with another flood of people going in. In the inside I could see the fluffy looking floor and the pristine decorations on the wall. 

It was straight out from a story book! 

Besides magic, this is the most fantastical thing I've ever seen!

Unbeknownst to me, I caught the warm eyes of people, I was too late when I realised. 

"Someone's excited."(Cheryl)

"Huh? Yeah, look at it! It's so amazon- amazo, amazang, AMAZING."(Reiko)

Even tail was excited... oi stop moving. I remember my old teacher teaching me about something like this, atoms are in constant random movement! Grabbing it, it didn't work, I guess he was right it is constantly moving!

Wh- whatever!

The train was moving, look the wheels were moving! and and... it left...

Oh...

I guess I can wait for the next one. 

...

FUOOM!

Our train eventually arrived and like the last two, it was the same fluffy worm. We were holding hands as went inside. The floor was so soft, it was like a fancy carpet! 

Above were yellow lights. It couldn't electricity could it? It didn't seem like a lantern, hmm... magic?

"It says over here we are D34 and C34."(Cheryl)

She said guiding us to our seats. 

To my side were rows of people, each seeming a different species altogether. Some had animalistic features, others were human. Classic fantasy creatures of course, I think I even saw a demon, wings, tail and a single tail on their head.

There was one that I didn't quite recognise, there was a man, his skin was rough but not like a normal rough it was sharp and rock-like. Ah... it's rude to judge, sorry mister...

I comfortably sat down on the cyan cushions of the seat next to the window. It was dark outside but I wasn't even a bit sleepy. Whether it was from being in the train or the eagerness of meeting Kana, I couldn't stop my body from shaking.

The moon was high and bright, stars there were a couple but that couple was enough. 

It's a brand new day, wait for me Kana, I'm coming. 

Back to the mines 👷⛏️

Uh so yeah, I think what's gonna happen next is a little important, hopefully I can stick the landing.

The trains are called neuclomotive but they all have individual names, the one Reiko and Cheryl's riding right now is named Pico. They do feel pain and emotions but are pretty simple minded, being half machine and half animal. If anyone is curious my inspirations for this lad is catbus from totoro and the olm.

4