Chapter 75: The Underground
224 4 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Reiko POV

Kana... 

Finally, after so... so so so long. We're together again.

I can't stop the tears from spilling out.

"eh he hah ha ha"(Reiko)

It's been so long, and now, we- we're. 

I can't even think straight. My breaths were shallow. Smiling and crying simultaneously. I looked like a mess. Using my hands I wiped my face of tears. 

I had no control of my own body. My hands were shaking from excitement and so were my legs. 

Stuck in a cycle of realisation hitting over and over again, going in and out of shock. She was here, my little sister who died so long ago is here, alive, breathing, healthy.

 I can't believe it.

Ah ha... I'm denial.

Looks like she's just as surprised. Her face wore an obvious expression of confusion. Her brows were furrowed and eyes were squinted. 

"H- hic how have you been?"(Reiko)

"I... I'm fine."(kana)

Ah I'm so happy! I wonder what to do!

It's a little weird that she is taller than me but I guess Goddess Statera decided to give her a new body instead of just starting life all over.

Best part is she seems to be living good too! 

Her skin had a healthy glow, it wasn't green or sickly. Her hair was neat and combed, her clothes were also very beautiful and expensive-looking. A shocker honestly! She became so independent in such short time.

I have so much things to say now that the tears have subsided. 

So much to do, so much to say, I can't decide.

"hey, Reiko."(Cheryl)

"Yes Cheryl?"(Reiko)

Cheryl took me by the shoulders and moved me to the side to ask something.

"Are you sure this is your little sister? She seems..."(Cheryl)

"Ngh! I'm mostly certain! Ninety percent!"(Reiko)

"...alright."(Cheryl)

Afterwards, containing a massive load of excitement, I moved to Kana.

"Hey Kana!"(Reiko)

"..."(kana)

"Kana? Kana!"(Reiko)

"Oh uh yes? What do you want?"(kana)

Her speech was still a bit awkward, as if she was unsure of how to respond or feel. Yes, she should be a bit overwhelmed, I-  I mean, it's the first time a- and it's like she wasn't expecting to see me and...

Ah too much thought!

tap tap tap

Hmm? What's that sound? Is someone near?

"Follow me."(kana)

She held onto my hand and pulled me along. 

Practically, she was running. Moving with haste as if she was about to miss the metro. What was she in such a hurry for? Was the footsteps I heard just now? Are you in danger!? Loan sharks or some hoodlums after you!?

Don't worry, I'll protect you!

Deeper into the cracks of this city. More abandoned buildings, less people. Occasionally there would be a roach or lizard crawling about.

Where are we going?

Definitely did slow down but I feel more unnerved now than before.

"We can stop here, no one should be near, I doubt."(kana)

She sighed and stopped in the middle of nowhere, in the dead of night.

"reiko...?"(Cheryl)

"Yes?"(Reiko)

Cheryl pulled me to the side away from Kana again.

"What is it?"(Reiko)

Cheryl had worn a strangely worried face. Perhaps she was uneasy with our surroundings, after all the only life besides us were the roaches and ants, there was also this blue mushroom, it was slightly glowing.

"are really you sure this is your sister?"(Cheryl)

"eh? Again? What do you mean, I mean, I think so."(Reiko)

Cheryl repeated the question, sounding more unsure than before. 

We do look different but there have been cases where two siblings look nothing alike. Besides we both share the weird eye thingy too. Then again, the chances of us being actually related, in this life, is likely zero.

"isn't she a bit too old to be your younger sister?"(Cheryl)

Ah that...

"uuh, I- am an adult... don't worry about it..."(Reiko)

Again with the same worried expression. Furrowed brows, slightly biting her lips. 

"alright then."(Cheryl)

After a bit of silence Cheryl conceded. Even so there was still an aura around her, giving off a sense that she isn't really on board. 

To this day I wonder if I should tell her about my previous life or not.

I wonder if she'll treat me any different.

Maybe she'll treat me more like the adult I am or maybe... she'll turn away, look at me with only disgust in her eyes.

I too would be weirded out if I found out that the little girl in front of me is really just a man. Maybe she'll even feel betrayed, if we've spend all this time together and yet I was never honest about who I am.

We'll talk less and grow distant only the necklace keeping us together.

Worst case scenario, she'll never be able to properly look me in the eyes. I'll be treated as an anomaly an outcast. A grown man throwing a tantrum causing destruction. A grown man having a little ten year old as a friend and nearly having killed her through another tantrum. It's all really creepy and pathetic.

...

Best case scenario... she'll treat me with respect. No more talking down to, no more head pats, no more of that.

But even so... it's not like that's all only good.

I... do sometimes like being patted or hugged or carried to sleep.

It's kind of refreshing to have someone who can take care of you right?

In a way, it's lose lose situation. I cannot not tell her, she's been there all this time and it feels like lying to her. But if I do tell...

...

What am I thinking? 

Am I a child? No.

I guess I should just... stay quiet and forget these feelings.

"Hey you... Rrreiko."(kana)

"Hm? What is it?"(Reiko)

"By any chance do you know how to use magic?"(kana)

"Uh, yeah I can."(Reiko)

I nodded my head and answered question. She scratched her chin upon hearing my answer. 

"...really, how much? What was your first type?"(kana)

First type? Oh you mean this?

Stretching my arm and opening my palms, a mass of bright light gathered and formed into a baseball shape. Upon seeing this, she had a light frown. Was this considered bad? Why was she so disappointed?

"that's... not what I quite meant."(kana)

In that moment water particles formed in the air. Moisture gathering into one form. At first it was a ball but then a little tail sprouted and then a head and then fins.

A... fish?

Amazing, a fish made of water. It was from the air too.

"This is what I meant."(kana)

"Oh that? Uh oh."(Reiko)

Using my magic, a patch of moss in the corner grew and spread. It wasn't as cool but it was a way to demonstrate it.

"I see, interesting... anything else?"(kana)

"huh? Uhh yeah, I used to be able to make fire and such but not really anymore."(Reiko)

Kana stared skeptically before brushing it aside. 

"I see, follow me."(kana)

Still as cold as ever... I wonder if she made any friends in this world yet. I bet she have.

I followed Kana as we went up to what looked like an abandoned church. The glass mosaic had become dark and yellow and the bricks we moldy and cracked.

Her head swung both sides, before she pushed the tall wooden door open. Making a creaking sound, the interior was no different from the exterior, maybe a little better but inhabitable overall.

"Where are we? Why here?"(Cheryl)

Cheryl questioned Kana. Indeed it was a strange place for someone like her to be in. It was a complete contrast to her pink and dainty. She side-eyed Cheryl as we stepped inside.

"I have a job to do, simple as that. Even if... Reiko came along, it was not as if I was going to stop. But since you are here, I suggest you keep it to yourself and stay quiet, if word gets out that you're here the entire government might be after you."(kana)

Crossing across the chapel to the rubble in the middle, before long Kana stopped in her tracks outright. 

Turning back, she bended down to see me. Her eyes had squinted as she gazed me up and down, I was a little taken aback by her suddenness, I was not going to lie.

"How old are you again?"(kana)

"Uh huh? t- twenty-one, around twenty-two... don't you..."(Reiko)

Oh, has she forgotten?

She kissed her teeth while eyeing me down one more time.

"that so... you have much to learn."(kana)

I barely made out what she said, her words were whispers under her breath.

"what do you mean by that?"(Reiko)

In a blink of an eye I was surrounded by water. Materialising from the air just like that it surrounded the three of us. Wh- what's this? Utterly confused, not only because I didn't what was happening, I also didn't know what was happening. 

In no time we were in a bubble, a bubble of water.

"wh- whas this supposed to be?"(Reiko)

"A bubble, of course, don't leave."(kana)

Kana said holding both Cheryl and my shoulder, stopping us. 

"We need to be concealed where we are going. With this, light from the outside is split horizontally, we won't be completely invisible but it should keep us mostly hidden"(kana)

"Wait a minute, what do you mean by that? Where are we exactly going for this to happen?"(Cheryl)

"Good question, spirit."(kana)

Cheryl's eyes shot open, and my ears raised high and became stiff. How did she know? We didn't tell her, and it's not like it's easy to tell Cheryl's a spirit or what not. 

What a keen eye she has.

"h- how do you know!?"(Cheryl)

"...I just am observant, that is the best I can put it."(kana)

In no time, the rubble in front of us raised into the sky and moved to the sides, revealing a giant hole, a staircase going downwards. The magic was the work of Kana, obviously.

What is this? An underground bunker?

"This is where I must go, you can stay behind, but I'd like it if she follows along."(kana)

Pointing at me she said. It's a suspicious passage, but if Kana needs me... how can I say no? Alright, mind has been made. 

"ngh."(Reiko)

"Alright then, come."(kana)

Stairs of cold stone, my footsteps echoed. Air was noticeably moist the ceiling above was dripping with water. Truly is a wonder why Kana wanted me to go down there.

As we went down farther, Cheryl was uneasy and so was I. I won't lie, my arm was shaking a little. Farther in, it was obvious it wasn't just a regular basement, it was an entrance and entrance to what looks like a sewer. 

A giant arc of cobble, and the floor had puddles of musty water. 

"Where are we? What is this? A sewer?"(Cheryl)

Kana in response glanced at Cheryl.

"Close, not quite. This is the underground, Labelle's labyrinth."(kana)

"Is there a reason for you to work down here? As far as I can see, it's more of a ditch more than anything."(Cheryl)

"It's actually quite illegal for us to be in here, but nonetheless this here holds something I must check up on."(kana)

"Then is there a reason for us to be here with you? Seems a little counterintuitive, bringing in strangers you just met, would that not be a liability, no?"(Cheryl)

"Certainly, that is true. But still, she is an exception."(kana)

Pointing at me she said that, hehe, I guess this is the perc of being her brother.

tap tap...

"Stop, be quiet."(kana)

back

4