Chapter 77: Forgotten?
197 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Reiko POV

"Sweetie, what are you doing?"(Cheryl)

"practice..."(Reiko)

I've been spending time practicing on water magic rather just walking alone as a way to keep me entertain and also hone on my skills. Improvement was small but then again it hasn't been long since I started about three hours or so.

I wonder where we're going. 

"stop."(kana)

Suddenly Kana extended her hand and cut us off. In front of us was nothing but a giant wall.

"We're here."(kana)

Here? This wall? Is there a secret passage or- huwah!

Ground shaking abruptly, stone bricks separating from each other. It felt like an earthquake as the wall, bit by bit fell apart, creating a giant hole in its stead. 

This is it? Is there where she wanted to go? Doesn't seem all too safe.

"Follow me inside."(kana)

Her hands gestured us forward. We've come this far, no point in stopping now.

Although, there is a sense of eeriness within this tunnel... there is nothing to be scared, let's not get worried over nothing. 

Steep steps, steeper than normal and as further we delved in the narrower the walls got. It was suffocating, as if the walls themselves were latching onto your skin, the dank aroma penetrating the nose. 

The roof became smaller too, Kana had chosen to duck down going into an almost crawl, Cheryl simply phased through, while I, myself, well nothing much changed really. 

"Just a little more."(kana)

And she was not lying, soon enough we met an opening and crawled through. 

"huh...? HAH!"(Reiko)

thump.

"ouch..."(Reiko)

"Come on, up."(kana)

Grabbing Kana's hand she helped me up onto my feet. I think I bruised myself a little. Either way, where were we? It seems virtually the same except... except...

What's that glowing light? Is that...

It was all blue in colour, a round orb, not much bigger than that of a bowling ball. Surrounded by eroded stone, emitting off a bright, mesmerizing light, it was... irresistible, I could not keep my eyes off it.

I felt like I was being flushed in euphoria. 

I wonder what would happen if I...

!

Heh? 

My arm was being, stopped?

"Alluring isn't it? Usually it shouldn't be releasing this much mana, but over time it's become unstable."(kana)

She pulled me away from glowing orb and just like that I was awaken from my trance like state.

"This powers the entire kingdom of Labelle, the reason why the streets have light, why the farms are plentiful and so on. This is-"(kana)

"The aeonstone... but how, should it not be in the palace? Guarded by an entire army!? Is that a decoy? Where is security to keep the real aeonstone safe!?"(Cheryl)

"-yes, it very much is a decoy."(kana)

I didn't know what was what. Aeonstone? Decoys? Yadda yadda, I feel left out and wanted to ask questions but did not know where to even begin.

"As for the reason as to why it is hidden all the way here underground is well, there is this unknown fact, mana in excess can be fatal. It wants to take shape but without a medium to contain it, it begins to latch, cluster and deform its surroundings."(kana)

...huh...

I tensed my body and stepped back from the aeonstone. Cheryl's arm immediately pulled me in and guarded me from it. Could it be radioactive?

"Don't be alarmed, you and I will be fine, there's nothing to fear and of course the ghost will be too."(kana)

"h- how are you so sure?"(Reiko)

"...trust me."(kana)

Kana struggled to say something at first and when she did say something, she said it as if she was holding back. 

"Can you help me with something?"(kana)

"O- of course!"(Reiko)

She guided my hand towards the orb, once again I felt the surge, the wave, the irresistible sensation. 

"Snap out, actually, wait over here."(kana)

Touching the stone, her eyes shut closed, her breathing was a little heavy but she held an aura of calmness. She was surrounded by this ambience, particles of bright, white light.

"There we go, now you try."(kana)

"Wh- what am I supposed to do? Huh?"(Reiko)

"Remember how you used magic, just do that. Push out the mana gently but as soon as you feel any discomfort, stop but do that as slowly as you can."(kana)

"uh ok..."(Reiko)

I did as she told. 

Hah... what is this...

The light wasn't as tempting as before, Kana definitely did something to it. But it was strong, overwhelmingly strong. It was as if it was a tangled wire and a powerful breeze at the same time. What is this... what am I doing...

Discomfort was beginning to loom and as I was told, I slowly decreased the amount of mana. Bit by bit I eventually stopped in my track.

"huahh... what was the point of that?"(Reiko)

"Brilliant, well done little sister!"(kana)

Thanks I-

Eh? Little?

"You see what you did there? It's mana stabilization, fundamental in water manipulation. You see how you had to gently release mana to-"(kana)

"sorry... can you repeat what you just said?"(Reiko)

"Mana stabilization?"(kana)

"...no, before that?"(Reiko)

"...Little sister?"(kana)

No...

Could it be that... that she forgot? No that can't be right? She remembered my name right? It's not like that right? Maybe it's not completely appropriate to call me a 'brother' but a 'little sister' is a bit...

It was definitely just a silly mistake, nothing more!

B- but what if she... did forget. Should I try asking?

...

"w- what's my name, my full name."(Reiko)

It was in that moment she froze. No words came out of her mouth, she didn't know what to say. N- no, please...

Maybe... her memory was just hazy a little.

"my birthday? Where we lived? Anything? Anything!"(Reiko)

Not a peep, just silence. 

This can't be... everything I've worked for is... gone?

Feeling defeated, my legs gave in. It was hopeless. She's forgotten hasn't she? I always feared this would happen, as if she wants to remember her old crappy life.

How could I be so dumb! Why would she even keep her memories!? What am I gonna do now!? I can't just barge into her life and expect things to be the same.

She probably has a new family, friends and I'm, I'm just a distant memory, not even, I'm nothing to her.

I was holding back tears, they were heavy.

"y- you don't remember, do you..."(Reiko)

Is there a point anymore? Has this journey been a complete waste of time? A failure. She's probably lived a better life here, maybe I shouldn't force anything on her.

"No, I won't remember."(kana)

"I see..."(Reiko)

What an anti-climatic end. At this point she's less sister and more stranger.

"I won't remember because I'm not your sister, I never was."(kana)

"Of course you're not, you won't even remember being her."(Reiko)

"No no, I'm certain I'm not your sister, without a doubt, that's because I've been..."(kana)

Her words of comfort didn't mean anything to me. I knew the girl I called 'family' is long gone. She's... gone, can I even start over now? How do I even do that? Just leave her behind...?

"Hey listen, don't cry, oh god..."(kana)

Her voice a muffle. I just, don't know how to think.

"Hey just listen..."(kana)

I thought that finally I could- 

Splash

I was splashed with water. 

What was that? Was that Kana?

"Finally I got your attention.

Look, I'm not your sister, I've been lying to you this entire time."(kana)

"n- no but you must be, if you're not... h- how come this was pointing at you?"(Reiko)

I said as I reached towards the bag and took out the compass. The needle was locked onto Kana. 

"What's this, let me take a look."(kana)

Taking the compass from my hand, she eyed it down, from below and above, from side to side. She analysed it thoroughly, without missing a single detail.

"Per chance, this sister of yours, are you two related?"(kana)

I mean I won't necessarily think we'd be related... 

"I don't think so. I'm not sure."(Reiko)

"Alright listen, I'm not your sister and she's still out there."(kana)

"how do you know that...?"(Reiko)

"Haven't you noticed it yourself? You're linked, actually, maybe it's because you're sill too young to see it. Either way, you're linked and not to me."(kana)

"l- linked? What's that? And if you're not my sister, th- then why is this pointing at you!"(Reiko)

"One question at a time. Okay so, firstly when you're linked it means whoever you are linked to are destined to meet and more likely or not, you're linked to your supposed sister.

Secondly, this device over here doesn't point to your sister, from what I've seen it more or less points to whoever you're closest to genetically, hence me."(kana)

Wh- what, wait minute I'm linked? S- so does that mean... it must be the work of Statera! 

B- but even if she's out here and not the person in front of me. What's to say she's not forgotten, what's to say she's the same person... All these thoughts hit me all at once, what am I to do if she really doesn't recognise me.

What if she doesn't even want to associate with me.

She definitely has a new family too. 

I- don't know what to do.

I'll... I'll... why didn't I think of this before!

I'll... figure something out when the time comes. I don't want to give up now.

"If you're not Kana, th- then who are you? Why were you lying to me?"(Reiko)

"Me? My name is... Fionne, call me Fionne."(Fionne)

Before giving an answer she paused, her eyes met Cheryl and revealed her name to be Fionne. 

"And to answer your second question... come over here and you just for a minute stay over there."(Fionne)

Fionne pulled me in away from Cheryl. Cheryl looked as if she was about to say something but last second went back on her decision. 

"Listen carefully, I don't know how you exist but remember this, you and I, we're both special. People out there are dangerous so I want you to have this. Wear this for whenever people are around."(Fionne)

Suddenly, out of the blue, with a snap of a finger a single white eyepatch materialised. 

"I lied to you because I wanted your attention and this was a golden opportunity. I need to teach youngings like yourself about the bare necessities and while I can't be there to guide you, I am still a willing ally.

Now put that around your right eye."(Fionne)

"B- but for what reason? I'm still confused with a lot of things."(Reiko)

"Hah, I don't want to really get into details but I'll just say there are people willing to kill us okay?"(Fionne)

K- kill us!? Eh!? 

Who would want to kill me? What did I do!? 

"o- okay? B- but wait, h- how can I trust you? You've already lied once."(Reiko)

"What would I gain from lying to you? But in the end it's all up to you to make that decision, I won't force you to do anything. "(Fionne)

Cautious, that's what I had to be. But would I get anywhere if I play too safely? I've made many mistakes trusting others in the past, but I've also made many allies too. 

I don't she's lying anymore, I don't think there's much point in her lying too. I think I'm being too suspicious.

It's not like she lied to me for anything malicious. Although I do feel like she's hiding something, but it's not like I've known her for long. I'll believe her for now.

"Also, I can work that compass of yours to track down whoever you're linked with."(Fionne)

"r- really?"(Reiko)

"Yes, but after you find that whoever, destroy the compass, there's some irregularities with it and I'm not sure how safe it is."(Fionne)

...

Even if she's forgotten me, maybe it won't hurt to try. If she has forgotten me, maybe I can just be a better brother than before! 

"please, that would be nice... thank you."(Reiko)

We did it, 1k readers!

3