19 – I’m worried about the Sect Leader
49 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

What the old man had truly meant by that, Cheng Kong hadn’t really thought to ask. In hindsight, he probably should have though, because somehow the Green Jade Peaks has come to host Princess Báilián and Princess Hónglián – the apparent offspring of Bai Jixue and the Demon King.

Cheng Kong isn’t sure what to think of it all, or about the discrepancies he’s found in the records – particularly in regards to that whole poisoning incident involving Bai Mingyue and former Sect Leader Yi. In hindsight, it just seems so obvious, and Cheng Kong wonders if he’s possibly the last among the Peak Lords to see it – to see the lies crafted in order to keep a potential manhunt from being launched.

And the Peak Lords at the time had readily allowed Yi Yeguang to get away with it, accepting his testimony at face value while sweeping it all under the rug as they’d installed Yi Yeguang in his late master’s place and Bai Mingyue in that of the supposedly ascended Bai Jixue.

It’s a daunting prospect to consider – not just the conspiracy but the inevitable consequences of it. And in this, Cheng Kong thinks specifically of Yi Yeguang, who’s been carrying this burden for so long, and of the other’s strangely intimate relationship with the current Peak Lord Bai.

For the longest time, Cheng Kong had been mistaken. He’d always thought that Yi Yeguang had been doing all of this for Bai Mingyue – out of love or out of a sense of duty.

Now however, Cheng Kong understands that he’d been gravely mistaken. Because the moon that Yi Yeguang had been longing for is not the current Peak Lord Bai but rather the former. This, Cheng Kong immediately understands when he and the other Peak Lords are finally allowed to behold the children for themselves. Because he sees it; the look in Yi Yeguang’s eyes as he looks at the sleeping Princess Báilián. And Cheng Kong finds it harrowing – he finds it harrowing to such a degree that he scarcely manages to pay attention to anything beyond it.

 


 

Afterwards, there’s a celebration – a farewell feast to celebrate Elder Lin and Elder Wen’s upcoming ascension. Calling it a feast might just be a bit much though, as mostly alcohol is getting served.

Yi Yeguang isn’t drinking though – not alcohol, at any rate.

The rest of the Peak Lords seem to be drinking more than enough to make up for it though, Cheng Kong included. Cheng Kong had opted not to include himself in whatever they were discussing though, and instead retreated out into the garden to both cool his head and to calm his furiously beating heart.

He honestly shouldn’t have been drinking. But having started, it had proved astonishingly difficult to stop. Because now, lines blur in-between thoughts of conspiracies and memories of the past, and suddenly, he finds that he can vividly recall the events of that night – the things leading up to it, and the immediate aftermath.

Cheng Kong had been fifteen when Uncle Jin had arranged his coming-of-age ceremony, and he remembered being quite eager to do it. He remembered being eager, because a coming-of-age ceremony meant all sorts of things – it meant being counted as an adult, and being allowed to do what adults did. Granted, Cheng Kong hadn’t been quite so keen on getting married and such. However, he’d longed to be considered more of an adult, and to be allowed to take part in social activities and official functions.

Truthfully, this had been the greatest draw, because honestly, what had Cheng Kong even understood about the rest? He’d wanted to join the army, wanted to go out and fight and to become a hero and whatnot – like his late father.

Uncle Jin had told him so many stories – Uncle Jin had told him the best stories, and Cheng Kong had listened to them eagerly, right up until Elder Sister had told Mother, and Mother had forbidden Uncle Jin from telling such stories.

Back then, Cheng Kong hadn’t understood why she hadn’t wanted him to become a soldier. Back then, he hadn’t understood a whole lot of things. In fact, back then he hadn’t even been ‘Cheng Kong’, but rather Chéng Tiānkōng; a name chosen by Father.

It was an odd name, and despite harbouring a great love for his late father, Cheng Kong had never harboured any greater love for the name that said father had bestowed upon him. Instead, he had been over the moon when Uncle Jin had asked about arranging his coming-of-age ceremony a few years early – because although most girls did theirs at the age of fifteen, boys typically did theirs around the age of twenty – and it would’ve been impossible for him to wait that long, honestly, because he wanted to receive his courtesy name and formal acceptance as an adult.

Mother had opposed it of course, but what did it matter?

As the head of the family, Uncle Jin had made all the important decisions, and even before he had taken on such a role, he’d already had plenty of useful connections with powerful individuals. He’d even had ties to the Imperial Family – not just political ties but actual blood ties as well – and while Cheng Kong also had the latter, his had been significantly thinner. But in the end, had they really mattered – for either of them?

With a sigh, he tips his head back, about to down another mouthful of wine. But something draws his attention, and even with the alcohol burning in his stomach, Cheng Kong is instantly alert, straining his ears to hear better – and no sooner has he done so before Yi Yeguang’s voice rings out, soft yet undeniably loud in the tense silence that follows.

“I hope you all thought it was worth it.”

Worth it? Yi Yeguang hopes what had been worth it?

Cheng Kong lowers the wine jug just in time before Yi Yeguang emerges, and the Sect Leader offers him a curt nod before taking to the skies without another word, projecting an alarming sense of calm.

Cheng Kong desperately wants to follow, yet he finds himself rooted in place as the image of another is superimposed upon that of the retreating Yi Yeguang; Elder Sister, standing atop the wall right before it had happened.

She’d only just turned sixteen; not much older than him, yet at that age, a whole lot wiser. Cheng Kong fervently wishes that he’d just listened to her. Because if so, then perhaps they would’ve both made it across the mountains.

At that age, Elder Sister had been a full-fledged adult – if not in body, then in mind. She’d also paid attention to the lessons Third Aunt had tried to teach them, whereas Cheng Kong’s mind had been filled with other things. It’s deeply unfair for her to have been the one to die; for Cheng Kong to have been the one to outlive her.

Of course, he had grieved the others as well – Mother, Third Aunt, even Uncle Jin – but none as much as he had grieved her. He hadn’t seen any of the others die, although he knows it’s highly unlikely for anyone of them to have survived – because such is the way in and around the Imperial Capital; if a crime is committed, then both the perpetrator and their household and relatives are subject to punishment.

Over here, things are different – at least in the Jianghu. However, the Jianghu functions according to its own rules, and depending on the severity of the transgression, punishments could take very similar forms – though perhaps less so here and more so elsewhere.

When a member of a righteous cultivation sect committed some transgression, the leader of said sect was expected to deal with it – ranging everywhere from simple disciplinary actions to launching an outright manhunt. Because such is the general rule – for matters to be handled internally first, and with external forces interfering only when deemed absolutely necessary.

No such thing has occurred at the Green Jade Peaks so far however, and Cheng Kong fervently hopes that things would remain this way – and that if not, then that Yi Yeguang’s efforts to rebuild proper relations with the other sects wouldn’t have been in vain.

 


 

Yi Yeguang is isolating himself again. But this time around, he had summoned another to his side; Elder Huang, who had entered with his typical carefree expression yet exited wearing a definite frown.

Upon noticing Cheng Kong however, the old man quickly motions for him to follow, so he does.

“Youngster,” Elder Huang says, eyeing him thoughtfully. “Coming to think of it, I never did tell you the end of that story, did I?”

Truthfully, Cheng Kong isn’t quite sure what the other is talking about. However, he still opts to play along, because playing along might just get him the answers he seeks. “I don’t believe so, Elder Huang.”

“Well then,” the other says. “Like I said, using those materials, I forged a great blade. I was quite proud of myself too, and quite eager to hand it over when it was time – and what did he do with it? Honestly... I still have no idea what he did to it, and even if I asked nicely, I doubt he’d tell me, and Little Mingyue said he doesn’t know.”

Little... Mingyue? “...Hánlěng?”

Elder Huang shakes his head, but in exasperation rather than in denial. “Ah yes, ‘Frigid’. Pairs nicely with Rèxīn, don’t you think?”

Rèxīn. Ardent. Passionate. “Oh.”

“Mind you, one did come before the other,” Elder Huang says, hands clasped behind his back. “Not too long after, mind you. That Zilei could certainly get things done once properly motivated.”

Properly motivated?

“That said” The old man sighs. “I doubt young Zilei ever truly understood the nature of his feelings towards young Jixue. But to the rest of us, they were no great secret, and they made us laugh at him and pity him in equal amounts. In truth, we weren’t particularly surprised to see him leave this place either – he no longer had much reason to stick around after Bai Jixue had left. It’s honestly such a shame though, that he didn’t live to see what ultimately became of things. Ah, even now, I imagine what kind of face he would’ve made.”

What kind of face?

“In any case” Elder Huang trails off, apparently lost in thought. Then finally, he turns and clasps his hands up front and bows. “Pardon this old man, Peak Lord Cheng. I’d almost forgotten that I have some urgent business to attend to.”

And with those words, the other promptly departs, and although Cheng Kong still wants some answers, he finds his feet stuck in place, becoming unstuck only once the other is already long gone. And by that point, his feet steer him off into an entirely different direction.

Given Elder Lin’s and Elder Wen’s recent ascension, this leaves a limited number of people for Cheng Kong to consult – because with matters such as these, he doesn’t feel comfortable discussing them with those at his peak despite knowing they are unlikely to mock him.

Still, since this issue concerns the Sect Leader, consulting other Peak Lords only feels right, and now that Cheng Kong has already spoken to Elder Huang, this leaves only three remaining options: Peak Lord Bai, who’s unlikely to receive him, Peak Lord Jiao, who’s probably either out on a mission or with Peak Lord Bai, and finally, Peak Lord Xiu, who’s likely occupied with teaching classes at this time of day. Still

 


 

Peak Lord Xiu receives him, and she waits patiently for Cheng Kong to gather his thoughts – because even though he’d been the one to seek her out, he still finds it difficult, his planned statements evaporating at the sight of her sitting there drinking plum blossom tea.

Then finally, she says: “Peak Lord Cheng, what do you require of me? As much as I do enjoy gazing upon your countenance, I also have duties to attend to.”

And indeed, she does, and Cheng Kong as well. Still “I’m worried about the Sect Leader.”

At this, Peak Lord Xiu arches a perfectly plucked eyebrow. “The Sect Leader... or Yi Yeguang?”

This gives him a pause, because aren’t they honestly one and the same?

The Sect Leader is Yi Yeguang, and Yi Yeguang is the Sect Leader. Granted, Yi Yeguang is more than just the leader of the Windward Sect and all, but

“I honestly don’t know what to do. I’ve I’ve worked hard to become someone that the Sect Leader can rely on, and yet... he always finds others, or deals with everything himself. It’s just... I’m

Taking a deep but shuddering breath, Cheng Kong picks up his own cup.

“I don’t know what more to do, honestly,” he finally admits. “I wasn’t planning on confessing my feelings because I knew they’d be a bother to him – if he didn’t feel the same for me, then I didn’t want to add to his already existing burden. I didn’t want to risk ruining everything, and yet

His hands tremble too much for him to hold the cup properly, and so, Cheng Kong puts it back down and says: “Even after learning of my feelings in such a humiliating manner, he didn’t shun me. But... I fear that if he really came to know where I came from, then he might come to despise me. Even so, I want him to know; I don’t want to keep this from him forever, or any longer than I already have, but...”

Cheng Kong eyes the confection that one of Peak Lord Xiu’s disciples had just put forth – some dark brown cubes dusted in green powder.

Cheng Kong has no great appetite for such things – whatever they are – but now that they had been so readily offered to him, it would’ve been impolite to refuse. As such, he does help himself to one. It has a strangely rich flavour, bitter yet astonishingly rich and sweet.

“What is this?” he asks, because even back in the Imperial Capital, Cheng Kong had never tasted anything quite like it.

“Ah, this?” Peak Lord Xiu laughs, elegantly taking a piece for herself. “Disciple Xiyu picked it up recently. Apparently, it’s made from some bean or something of the sort, but I’ve never seen one. I must say, I find it quite rejuvenating. I must remember to ask Peak Lord Bai sometime if he knows anything of the sort.”

Cheng Kong briefly considers asking her to reconsider such a notion, but instead puts another piece of confectionery into his mouth. Because true to Peak Lord Xiu’s words, there seems to be an effect of some sort – although perhaps not rejuvenation, but rather something else. He isn’t quite sure what it is though, and another piece doesn’t give him the answers he seeks – and before his mind has caught up with everything, he already finds his hand reaching for another and resolutely pulls back, experiencing a flash of heat and shame at having displayed such behaviour.

Peak Lord Xiu doesn’t seem to take much offence however, quiet laughter in her eyes as she watches him regain his bearings, and attempt to wipe away the green powder sticking to his fingers.

“Matters of the heart are seldom easy, Cheng Kong,” she finally says, her gaze becoming slightly distant. “They are seldom easy, and feelings are not always answered. Indeed, if there’s a seed, then under the right circumstances, something may sprout. But even so, there’s no real guarantee that feelings will thrive, as they might wither away or turn to rot. Personally, I’ve only ever loved one man, and while he was very fond of me, he would never see me the same way that I saw him. It was a crushing realisation for sure, but that doesn’t mean that it wasn’t a necessary one. It was a rude awakening for sure, but also one that I needed in order to properly grow into the woman that sits before you now.”

“When we were young, I used to rely on him a lot,” Peak Lord Xiu continues, something bittersweet in both her expression and her tone. “I also used to have this massive crush on him, and looking back at it now, I find it all quite embarrassing. Even after I got older, stronger and learned how to conduct myself better, I would still

“Well,” she says, shaking her head with a smile before looking back at Cheng Kong. “It’s almost ancient history at this point, and I have about thirty books containing music and poetry dedicated to my heartbreak. But I got over it, and found a new path to which I could dedicate myself. No regrets. And even if he somehow changed his mind now and came back for me, I wouldn’t follow. I’ve already moved on from that.”

Huh. “...Are you telling me to get over it and move on?”

She shakes her head, still smiling. “Oh no, nothing of the sort. I’m simply telling you to be prepared, no matter the outcome. About your feelings though, what did the Sect Leader say?”

This isn’t anything that Cheng Kong is particularly keen on discussing. However, having sought out this person and having heard this person’s story, he feels a strange obligation to answer.

“He said... that I could do whatever I wanted with them, but that he doubted that anything would ever come of it all.”

He’d said that they would lead him nowhere, no matter how much effort he exerted – and Cheng Kong had accepted that, he really had, but

Why? he cries out within. You don’t have to return my feelings, but can’t you at least rely on me just a little? Even if I cannot share your burdens, can’t you at least allow me to support you from down below instead of relying on others or insisting on taking care of everything by yourself?!

Cheng Kong is deluding himself though, of course. At some point, being able to support Yi Yeguang from down below would’ve been enough. But now though, having seen Jiao Ziyu with Bai Mingyue, now

“...I see,” Peak Lord Xiu finally says, her voice very soft. “Still... was that truly a definite answer? Also, you said so yourself, didn’t you – that you have yet to come clean about your origins? Do that, and ask again. Who knows? Maybe this time, the answer will be different.”

Ah. “If it’s the same, then I’m not sure that I can take it. I’m not if I can

“But I am sure,” Peak Lord Xiu says, and when Cheng Kong looks up at her, she smiles. “Besides

At this, she makes a tipping hand motion towards her lips. “there’s always liquid courage, no?”

 

2