Chapter 18 – Not a Coincidence
870 18 65
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 18 – Not a Coincidence.

Callie hadn’t actually expected to, but it seemed that she had indeed dozed off, the room rather warm, and the light a lot more yellow when she opened her eyes again. She could feel as much hear Uriah’s breathing, steady and regular, his body warm, his scent still still spicy and foxy. He’d dozed off too it seemed, a smile on his face, his arms still around her. Julia too, curled up on the bed, Felicia snuggled up against her.

Reaching up, she gave Uriah a quick kiss, and then slid out from his arms, stretching as she made her way over to the kitchen section of the room, opening the cupboard to see what had been provided. A small selection of black and herbal teas, and some cheap coffee. A little disappointing given that this was meant to be the best of the motels in the town, but it’d suffice. Getting the kettle boiling, she prepared coffee for Julia and Uriah, settling on a glass of water for herself. It tasted a little metallic, the water not filtered as well as it was in the city, but it wasn’t too bad. She realised, though, that she had no idea if Felicia needed to eat or drink anything. She was a magic creature now? Well, being a ghost she probably already had been, but she was physical now. It wasn’t part of the understanding that had come with the forming of the bond.

‘Can you eat? Do you need food now? Would you like a tea or coffee?’ She could but ask, the message thought as she watched the kettle.

“I think I can?” Felicia said, padding up behind her as she rubbed her eyes, in her human form again. She looked just as stunning as she had before, her slightly messed up hair just adding to that appeal. “I would certainly like something though. I haven’t had coffee in a long time.”

“Black, white, other? Not fancy latte’s or anything unfortunately,” Callie asked as she pulled out another mug for Felicia. Not that she knew if there was any milk around.

“Umm... black, with sugar?” Felicia sat down on one of the chairs, watching her intently.

Sugar there was, the coffee quickly made and handed to Felicia once the kettle had boiled.

“What’s going on, Callie? Why were you attacked? I feel like I’m missing a lot of content, and that man, Riddling, he creeps me out.”

“I wish I knew.” Callie sighed, sitting beside Felicia on another chair, glass in hand. Taking a sip, she started talking, going over their trip to the anomaly and what they’d found there, or more precisely, didn’t, the array and its strange circumstances, and the attempt at opening the rift by Riddling. She was pretty certain that he was behind it, even if she had no idea why, and that that was part of the cause for the attack. Felicia just nodded away as she sipped at her coffee, watching her with interest.

“We’re going to see Alyther again, aren’t we?”

Callie nodded. She’d be surprised if they didn’t, given the attack, and yet she did hope that it would be directed at the Guardians rather than at them. They hadn’t done anything, hadn’t had any desire to be involved. Just been caught in the crossfire of a spat between two of the originals, and all that they’d done was try to survive. To not die. But, he may not see it that way. “I’m more worried about the immediate future though.” Somehow, that threat, her father, seemed more real.

“You’re not going to be alone.” Felicia reached out placing a hand on her arm. Her feelings, and intentions, were more than clear, through the magic that now connected them.

Callie gave her a smile back. “I know.”

And then froze as she felt it. A short pulse of magic, a cloak dropped for but a mere moment, right outside their room. She raced to the outer door of the room, throwing it open and looking out. Nothing. She wasn’t out there, just a mostly empty parking area and the street beyond. The scent of the magic was all too familiar.

“What was that?” Felicia was standing there beside her, cup still in hand.

“I think... it was an invitation.” The problem was, she had no idea where to find her, nor if she wanted to. Vampire was, after all, one of the originals, and she did not know where her allegiance lay.


“She’s baiting us.” Uriah had his hands in his pockets, a frown on his face. To anyone else, it would have looked like he was just casually walking down the street with them, but Callie knew that he was tense and on edge, ready to respond to any threat, perceived or otherwise. It made her feel all kinds of special, even if in reality there was nothing they could do against Vampire should she be hostile. Yes, they had managed to defend against Alyther, but there was no guarantee that they would be able to do so again. And even then, he had still had the power to overwhelm them if he had wanted to. She had sensed that much.

“Yeah, she is,” Callie agreed. “But still, we need to know. It wasn’t a coincidence that she was there last time.”

“I don’t trust her at all. She was doing something to you last time, Callie.”

She was a little worried about that, yet, on the other hand, what did she have to hide? Assuming that Vampire wasn’t an enemy of course.

“She’ll have a reason.” Julia was sounding nervous. She had her hands in her pockets as well, Felicia walking alongside them, back in her fox form. Letting on to Riddling that there was another human with them had the potential to go badly.

Callie felt another flicker of power, the third now, weaker from the other two, and further out. The second had given them a rough direction, and this one just confirmed that. They were heading out towards one of the edges of the town, away from the main road, where there seemed to be a small forested area. Just a collection of pines of a couple of varieties that may have once been a forestry block. Perhaps still was. There were houses all around them, people going about their daily lives, but no one appeared to be paying them any extra attention.

There was also the worry that since they had felt it, that others may have as well. Riddling in particular. Yet no one else seemed to have responded to the first burst like they had, and there was no sign of Riddling outside of his room.

It didn’t take them too long to reach the forested area, no more flickers of power coming. Callie was certain that this was the area that they were being called to. It just fit, offering some measure of anonymity in amongst the trees. The pines were generously spaced, the ground a carpet of needles, the scent sharp, clear, and strong. Enough so to hide the scent of any others within, along with the shadows that deepened the further you looked in. They paused for a few moments, just in case, but with nothing else changing Callie took the hint and started walking in.

It was a little eerie. There was something about the trees, like something wasn’t quite right, but she couldn’t place it. Like a whole lot of smaller things contributing to a larger impression perhaps? Branches that were a little more twisted, and colours not quite the expected shade, at the least. Lurking in the back of your mind the idea that it was no longer natural, even the animals being silent.

And then the presence was back again, not a flicker, but fully uncloaked. And different too. It didn’t take long for them to find her, the lady leaning up against one of the trees in the middle of the forest, beautiful, with a lithe and well endowed figure, vines intertwined in her long flowing brown hair, an apple in her hand. She was dressed in a pair of tight pants and flat boots, and a very beautiful green blouse that was rather low cut and very suggestive. Callie knew exactly who she was though. The one she had titled Dryad. Like Vampire, she had barely changed.

“Fancy meeting you out here,” Dryad purred with a sweet, seductive voice, her eyes going over them.

“Oh, cut the crap,” Uriah growled, his hands now out of his pocket, magic gathering around them, dancing flickers of red flame. “You called us out here.”

“Technically yes...” Dryad said with a dangerous smile, “and yet perhaps I just find kinship here.”

“I don’t trust you at all.” Uriah stepped forward. “What is your game? Where is Vampire?”

Dryad cocked her head, feigning innocence. “And why would you seek her?”

“Because she is the one behind this.” Callie stepped forward as well, intertwining her hand with Uriah’s. His magic stung a little, but quickly faded as he curled his fingers around her hand. “She was the one we felt first.”

“That,” Dryad paused, taking a bite from her apple. “That is indeed true. It seems that what she told me was true after all, though perhaps she understated some details.” Her eyes wandered to the hand that was currently holding Uriah’s, to her mark. Another bite, daintily chewed. “The mark of the Witch.”

Another growl from Uriah, though there was less force behind it. He’d released the magic that he’d called forth, his stance relaxing a little. Though he was still on edge. He’d had years of training after all.

Dryad sighed. “I’ve never been good with your type, fox.” Shaking her head, she stood up straight. “You’re almost as curious a group as we once were. But with better adhesion it seems, at least for three of you.” Her eyes glazed over for a moment, a smile forming on her lips. “No, all four.”

She then turned, looking over her shoulder. “Come on Amber. It’s not like they don’t know you’re here.”

A surge of power, that dwarfed both Dryad and what she’d felt before, and Vampire was standing there in front of them, the cloak hanging loosely over her shoulders. Callie wasn’t sure what she’d been expecting Vampire to be wearing, but it certainly wasn’t a pair of tight pants with far too many belts, boots in the same style that went part way up her lower legs, and a t-shirt that was as much shredded as not, her tank bra perfectly visible underneath. All black though, so at least that fit.

“Amber?” Julia raised her eyebrow. “That sounds like a name from our realm rather than yours.”

Amber gave her a grin back, fangs on full display. “When in Rome they say, and Yeahtylnxion is a bit of a mouthful, even for us.”

“Yeahtylnxion. It’s kinda nice.” Just like last time, Julia’s pronunciation was spot on. Callie wasn’t even going to try. Just cause she could understand the language didn’t mean that she could speak it well, or at all.

It was Amber’s turn to raise an eyebrow.

“Are you two lovers?” Julia had a strange smile on her face.

“That’s your first actual question?” Amber laughed. “Okay, I like you, Julia. And yes, we are.” Dryad blushed in response, pretty much confirming the truth of Vampire’s words.

“You know my name?” Julia sounded shocked.

“Of course.” Amber looked smug as she took a step forward. “I may not be involved, but I do make a point of knowing what’s going on, especially when something takes my interest. Julia Morestone, betrothed to Fraser Calworth. Except that Fraser no longer exists, does he?” Her gaze shifted over to her, Callie flinching in spite of herself. “I said we’d meet again when I got to see the real yous, and for you at least I see that it is true. And what of you, Uriah, he who has no last name?”

“This is the real me.” Uriah gave Amber a measured look. “My origins are irrelevant, not that Callie is unaware of them anyways. We have been together for twenty years after all, but some things we chose to keep just between the two of us.”

“Huh. You speak the truth.” Vampire seemed surprised. “You two really are something special.” Vampire’s gaze went back to Callie, her eyes lingering on her mark. “The mark of the Witch, and prominent at that. I had an inkling, but still, you do surprise me. And what is your name now?”

“Callie,” Callie replied. Not that she was going to hide that piece of information. “So, what is it that you want? Why call us out here?”

“Curiosity. Perhaps more. Your mark was crying out to evolve, but truth be told, I hadn’t expected quite such an explosive result, and in such a short space of time. I’ve not seen such, even among our kind, and I have seen a lot. You did use my gift though I see.”

“You were the one who wrote it there...” Callie was shocked, even if she shouldn’t have been, the realisation sinking in. She’d already guessed that it wasn’t the same as the one that Prince and Vampire had used on the creatures, especially given the scale of what Alyther had done, but still.

“Of course. I have learnt a lot in my time, and sometimes I’m even willing to share. So, the name of your familiar?”

A flash of warm light, and Felicia was standing beside Julia. “I’d be Felicia. Always have been.” A cheeky smile as she wrapped one of her arms around one of Julia’s.

Dryad laughed as Vampire stood there staring at Felicia. “She got you there. I could tell that much at least.”

Amber made a sort of humpf, and shook her head. “So, Callie, what is it that you want? What will you do now with your life, now that you have finally become the real you?”

“I...” Callie paused. She could feel the influence there, but truth be told, she didn’t know if it was worth trying to fight it. “I.. really don’t know.” No. That wasn’t quite true. “Beyond being with Uriah, and spending my life with him, and surviving what lies immediately ahead. My parents. And Prince. I... haven’t really been able to think about it.” Cause she’d spent all that time trying to work out who she was instead.

“Well, you two do make a cute pair.”

Everyone seemed to say that, but she wasn’t going to deny it any longer. Especially since she had someone in front of her who might be able to provide an answer. “Is there a spell, an array, that can form a bond between two people? Between,” she paused, going bright red. “Between husband and wife?”

Dryad chuckled. “You really are serious there. The rings are nice, by the way. They suit.”

Vampire looked a lot more serious. “Because you can’t legally marry. Not under the laws of this land. They won’t recognise you, even as you are now. And what of Julia here? Where does that leave her?”

“I said that I would marry Uriah, and I meant it. I...” she got a little quieter, even if she was proud of the fact, “I love him. As to Julia, I... I don’t know.” Her shoulders slumped, Callie sighing. “I will not be a pawn of my parents. Ever. But Julia... she has grown on me. I do like her. But, I am Uriah’s first and foremost, and I want to cement that. In a similar way to what I have with Felicia, but not as a familiar. As my husband.”

“Then you have what you are looking for already. Magic is a living thing. It adapts to the purpose. Though if you want someone to oversee and pronounce you as husband and wife, I could do that for you.”

“No.” Her answer was immediate. “Even though you seem friendly, you are one of the originals. One of those who killed the totem animals. Your companion, or once companion perhaps, attacked us, and would have killed us. While I do appreciate the gift that you left, that saved our lives, I... cannot trust you. Not yet. I’m sorry.” She wasn’t sure why she added that last bit, but it was true and it just came out.

“And marriage is kinda intimate...” Uriah added, somewhat more quietly, a slight blush on his face, his hand gripping hers just a little more tightly.

“That too.” She would have loved to have an intricate white dress, but she knew that she wasn’t going to be getting that anytime soon.

Amber just shrugged. “Fair enough. I accept all of those points. However, I would say that now is your best opportunity, as the area is subdued at the moment, so no magic leaks out. Can’t have anyone knowing that we’re here after all. But the choice is yours. I could also form the array for you if you wanted.”

“Umm... I just used the drawing that I made...”

Amber blinked. And then again. “Show me.”

Callie let go of Uriah’s hand, pulling the notebook out of her pocket. It was looking a bit crumpled now, some of the pages having fused together and taking on a different feel. The array, though, was still in perfect condition, a faint glow to it.

“You made it yours, without even realising how.” There was the hint of awe in her voice.

Dryad chuckled. “Magic is a living thing, Amber,” she teased, her smile wide. No fangs on her. She did not share her lover’s nature. That did make sense though.

“Heh.” Amber made a dismissive motion, Callie stashing the notebook carefully back in her pocket, before taking Uriah’s hand again.

“Why did you come here, to our world?” Callie looked at Vampire in question. Sure, it was the source of magic to their world, but it had always seemed strange to her.

“That I don’t want to talk about. At least not right now.” Amber actually looked sad. “Let’s just say that greed blinded us, and we made a mistake. Perhaps one of many.”

“You’ve split up now? Alyther seemed to be rather pissed at E’iures.” Yes, she butchered the second name.

“Yes, that we have.” Amber folded her arms across her chest. “It’s been twenty years after all, and I won’t say that we were a cohesive group in the first place. We, though, are aligned with neither group.”

“Do you know why Alyther attacked us?”

Amber shrugged. “I’d say it’s more that they were attacking each other, and you happened to be caught in the middle. I’m sure you felt what happened at the anomaly.”

“Still feeling it too.” Julia scrunched up her face.

“Not surprised. That kind of magic...” Amber left it hanging, incomplete, her eyes deliberately going over them again. And then settling on Julia.

“You are the odd one out here, aren’t you. Not blessed in the same way as your fiancee and her fiance. What is it that you want out of all this, Julia? Not life, just this... relationship.”

Julia blushed as she looked down at the ground, and then back up at Amber, confidence in her eyes. “I still want it. Well, in some form. I know that it is a power play by our parents, but that is irrelevant to how I actually feel about it now. I know that they are each other’s, but... there are other options as well.” Her voice quietened as she reached the end, her gaze, though, held steady.

Amber smiled. “Then I have an offer for you. My power comes not just from my magic, but from my nature as well. And that, I offer you.”

“You want to turn me? Into a vampire?” Julia’s eyes narrowed at Amber.

“Yes.” A very blunt answer.

“What’s in it for you?” Uriah looked at Amber suspiciously.

“A connection. She would become one of my daughters.”

“Would you then have influence over me?” Julia had tilted her head a little, and looked contemplative.

“No. The bond does not work in that way, just like it does not over the familiar bond. You may not believe me there, thinking I have ulterior motives, but that is the truth. You would still be yourself, in all ways except the change in your nature.” Amber sighed, unfolding her arms, running a hand down Dryad’s arm, meeting her eyes for a moment. “I am very particular of those that I gift my power to. Yes, while it does boost my own power a little, I do end up taking on a little of their aspect as well. It is frankly, a dangerous thing to do. There are few of us for a reason.”

“Yet she still has done so,” Dryad said, amused. “But she is always very particular about it. As to how many have survived, that we don’t know. We have been absent for a long time after all.”

“Does it mean that I’d become nocturnal? Burn in the sun?”

Amber laughed. “Your world’s views on vampires are really weird, and varied. No, I don’t disintegrate in the sun, or sparkle for that matter. Nor turn into bats or mist, get repulsed by garlic etc. We are just another race in the end, albeit a powerful one. Our weakness is our need for blood, and quality blood at that. And that is all.”

“I’ll take your offer.” Julia still had an aura of confidence about her. “You are right... I do need this. For myself, and for them,” she added quietly.

Amber grinned, almost like a predator. “One thing I should mention. Amongst you, there is only one option for feeding. Uriah’s blood is not suitable. His nature will burn you. And Felicia, well, that should be obvious.”

Julia turned her head, giving her a questioning look.

Callie had no idea. It was not her decision, and she still didn’t trust Amber. But yet, while Julia hadn’t stated any of her reasoning, she could guess at it, and understand it completely. She had felt some of that herself. “The decision is yours.”

“Still willing then?” Amber took a step forward.

“Yes.” Julia took a step forward as well, Felicia letting go of her arm, and shifting over to beside Callie. “What do I need to do?”

“Just stand there.” A couple more steps and Amber was in front of Julia, her body glowing brightly in a blood red, magic flowing around her and under her, sigils forming in the ground around them. Another array, familiar but different, power screaming through it. The power of magic, and of blood. Amber reached out, her finger gently tracing a line along Julia’s face and then down her neck, and then she leaned in, fangs bared. Julia’s face looked peaceful, blissful almost, as Amber sank her fangs in, lips against her neck, only a small dribble of blood flowing across Julia’s skin.

“And it is done.” The magic faded as Amber’s arms went around Julia’s waist, stopping her from falling, a smile and the hint of a blush on Vampire’s face. “If you are going to bond,” she said, looking at Callie, “do so before she needs to feed. You’ll understand why when she does.”

Felicia rushed over to Julia, taking her from Amber, worry on her face as she looked at Julia. “What have you done to her?”

“What I said,” Amber answered, licking her lips as she stood back beside Dryad, her hand intertwining with her lover’s. “Gifted her my nature. The rest, is for you all to discover. Together I hope. We are not solitary creatures. That I learnt a long time ago.”

And then they were gone, magic wrapping around them, Amber and Dryad vanishing from sight as if they had never been there, their presence completely absent, the feel of the forest snapping back to how it should have been, and not as it had been when they had entered. Quiet, peaceful, and strong with the scent of pine.

“Julia, are you okay?” Felicia’s hand brushed across Julia’s face, before the foundling seemed to focus on her.

“I feel...” Julia paused, and blinked. “I don’t know, actually. The same, but not quite? It’s there though. A hunger.” Julia licked her lips, looking thoughtful. There was no mistaking that she had fangs now, and they looked kind of hot on her too. “It’s faint though. We should head back.”

“Yes, we should.” Callie was in complete agreement there.

Whatever exactly Vampire had done appeared to have left Julia a little weakened. Felicia helped her walk to the edge of the forest, and from there Uriah took over, Felicia going back to her fox form, walking beside them. She was worried, Callie feeling it through their bond.

‘We’re here for her.’ Reassuring wasn’t really her thing, that was Felicia’s, but it wouldn’t sop her from trying, and she meant it.

I know... and yes, I understand why she took it too. We’ve all got that aspect about us in common.’

Just like on their walk out, no one seemed to pay them any attention on the way back, Julia mostly recovered by the time they hit the shops and able to walk by herself. With the sun starting to set, Callie made a quick run through the grocery store, grabbing enough to make a meal for four, which would be an interesting experience in itself, and then they returned to the motel.

“Let me know when it’s dinner time,” Julia mumbled, promptly collapsing on one of the beds, Felicia, still in her fox form, hopping up and curling up beside her.

Which just left her and Uriah, like old times. Dumping the bags on the table, she gave Uriah a kiss, which he returned, his arms wrapping around her in a protective way and holding her close, before she then started on sorting what she had bought.

“Callie...” Uriah sounded nervous, Callie turning back to face him.

“Hmm?”

“That bond... I’d like to go through with it.” He was blushing again, his finger tracing lines on the table.

Callie couldn’t have had a bigger smile on her face, even if she’d tried. “I’d like that too. Do we trust what she said though?” That worry was still lurking in the back of her mind.

“I don’t know.” Uriah sighed, his hand moving to trace the ring as he looked at her. “I don’t think that she was lying, nor does she have a reason to do so. But still.” Another sigh, Uriah looking deeply at her. “The spell though, it worked with Felicia didn’t it?”

“Yup.” Callie nodded. “And I think that perhaps she is right. I... would like to try though.”

Uriah gave her a smile back. “Me too.”

Callie glanced at the vegetables that she had laid out, and then back at Uriah. “Now?”

“Yeah.” Uriah stood up and walked over to her, taking her hand in his. “What do we do?”

Callie giggled nervously. “I honestly don’t know. Just feed my magic into the array?” That was what she’d done last time. Pulling out the notebook, if that was what it even was any more, she looked at it, turning it over in her hand. And then just fed her magic into it, her magic responding eagerly.

Magic surged around them, and everything went white, Callie finding herself in the mindscape again. She wasn’t alone though, Uriah standing there beside her, the ethereal fox features present and vivid.

“Hey,” she said, staring at him. She couldn’t help it, even if the magic was still flowing around them. They had some time.

“Hey yourself.” Uriah grinned back.

“You look hot,” she stated. It was true. He did.

“You do too, you know.” Uriah reached out, his hand lightly touching her face, Calling placing her hand over his. “So this is your true form huh? The reflection of your soul. You’re really beautiful. Not that you aren’t already. I’ve... always found you attractive, no matter how you’ve looked.”

“Me too, of you,” Callie answered back, blushing for both points.

“You’d look really cute in a witches hat too.”

Callie blinked. She actually liked the sound of that.

“So, how do we do this?” Uriah looked around, and then back at her.

“However we want?” She wasn’t sure at all, but she could feel the nature of the array, the intent of the magic, and Vampire had been right. It had shaped itself from its other form to be what they wanted.

Uriah took his hand from her face, and then held her hands, one in each, looking directly at her. “Do you, Callie, take me, Uriah, to be your husband, to love and to hold, in health and sickness, forever more? Even knowing the truth of my origins?”

Callie gave his hands a squeeze. “I do,” she said clearly, with conviction. “And do you, Uriah, take me, Callie, to be your wife, to love and to hold, in health and sickness, forever more? Even with the other bonds that I do have and could gain? You are the most important person in the world to me.”

“I do,” Uriah stated, the two of them then leaning in for a kiss. His soft lips on hers. Deep and passionate, arms wrapping around each other.

The magic flared around them, wrapping them in a warm light, Callie feeling the bond forming between them. Strong, powerful, potent. And with hints of what their kids would look like.

The magic faded, and they were back in the motel room, the time only a few seconds past when she had fed the array. She could feel Uriah as well as see him, and he was happy. Very much so.

A glance at her mark showed that it had indeed changed. The lines showing her connection to Uriah had become more prominent, wrapping around the rings and then further down her finger. The mark really was a work of art, and she adored it and what it meant.

“Love you,” she whispered, giving him another kiss that may have been even more passionate than the previous one, before turning back to the groceries.

“Love you too,” he whispered back. “Should I help?” he then asked.

“Sure,” Callie answered with a laugh.

It was strange, and nice, having him help her. She usually didn’t let him even touch anything in the kitchen if she could help it, after one disaster too many. It just wasn’t one of his strengths. But here, right now, it was a little different, and she was liking it. He did just enough, and kept her company, their talk wandering to the stories that they’d been reading before they’d left as they prepared the meal. Somewhat simple again, prepared chicken enchiladas with tender cooked vegetables and buttered potatoes, a sweet dressing to go with the salad, and a white sauce for the cauliflower. And waffles and ice cream for dessert.

Felicia woke Julia once the food was ready, the four of them sitting around the table, Felicia in her human form. Foxes and dinner didn’t really work. Callie was hungrier than she’d thought, quickly consuming her part of the meal and then watching the others. Uriah was being his usual self, his enjoyment evident, as was Felicia’s, who was taking her time and savouring the flavours. Julia’s appetite didn’t seem to be fully there, though she was still happily eating, and complimenting her on the food.

“How’s the thirst?” Callie asked, once the main part of the meal was done, and she started to prep dessert.

“Still just in the background.” She gave Callie a look. “Mostly I’m just tired, but I can feel it there. The change to what I am. Please, don’t let anyone know, just like for your magic?”

“We won’t,” Callie reassured her.

“You did it, didn’t you?” she then asked, her eye on Uriah’s ring. His mark had changed in a way similar to hers.

“Yup,” Callie declared happily. “The magic at least sees us as a couple.”

“What did Amber mean about his nature?”

“Oh, just that his magic is fox aspected I assume. Heavily aspected.”

Julia gave her a curious look, but didn’t ask any further.

If she had thought that she’d eaten the main course quickly, it was nothing compared to the dessert, which was divine. Not just for her either. With the meal done, Callie and Uriah got on to cleaning up, Julia lying back down on the bed, Felicia back in her fox form again and curled up against her. It didn’t take them long, but even still, the day had long finished, night well under way, by the time they had turned off most of the lights and sat on the other bed. Julia was solidly asleep, Callie doing what she could to put something over her. She felt warm though, and the motel room was a comfortable temperature.

Stripping some of her clothes off, she waited till Uriah was in the bed, totally looking at him the entire time, and then joined him, turning off the light and snuggling up against his back. His scent had gotten stronger. Perhaps his magic too? She wasn’t completely sure, but the bond had done more than just form a bond. That too was part of its nature, and for that she was happy.

“Thanks,” Uriah mumbled, happiness radiating off him.

“Thanks to you too. Really.” Callie snuggled in more, pressing herself up against him. Perhaps some time... but not right now.

Uriah chuckled. “I’d like that,” he mumbled, rather quietly and a bit bashfully.

Callie felt herself blush. And more. “Me too, when we have some privacy. Love you Uri.”

“Love you too, Callie,” he said back.

She wasn’t sure of the time when she was woken, but she didn’t think that she’d been asleep for long, her body protesting and wanting to just return to the state that it had been in. Julia was there beside her, fingers gently brushing her neck, her hair pushed aside.

“I can’t hold it back any longer Callie. I... I need to feed.” Her voice was strained, her breathing heavy.

“Okay,” Callie said somewhat sleepily, pulling away from Uriah and sitting up, baring her neck for Julia. “Do you know what you’re doing?”

“Instincts?” Julia answered as she sat beside her and leaned in.

She could feel the magic inside Julia, stronger than it had been, and something else as well. Her new nature, the desire clear and strong. She felt Julia tenderly touch her neck, fingers running down it before her face got close, her breath warm. And then her lips and fangs, teasing before Julia bit down.

A sharp jab of pain, and then intense pleasure.

She couldn’t help herself. She moaned, her hand reaching for and grabbing Uriah’s.

This wasn’t what she’d expected.

I think that that was the longest chapter to date. With a lot happening in it too. There just wasn't a good place to split it, so I didn't.

Oh, and there is art for Julia incoming too ^^

The next chapter (19 – More Than Before) will be out within the next week.

If you'd like to support my writing, please consider supporting my Pateron. It currently has advance chapters of What Lies Within, and Wolf Mother (still just one chapter, but I will be getting back to it). You can also find published versions of some of my stories on all amazon stores (Amazon US store). If you do purchase, please consider rating as well. It means a lot. It's another great way of supporting authors.

Anyways, thanks for reading. Comments etc are welcome. There is also a discord Server if you'd just like to chat: https://discord.gg/Y2gaPFB6X6 (as well as a bunch of other stuff; we're nice people). It also has a channel with larger versions of all of the covers, since SH and RR only store tiny versions.

Don't forget to check out my other stories if you like my writing. ^^ 

65