Chapter 25 – In This, Together
859 17 41
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 25 – In This, Together.

Callie woke up feeling a little stiff, but otherwise quite good. Sleeping on the ground did that. She’d get used to it if this was going to be the norm for a while, but right now it wasn’t. Dawn had broken, the moons still in the sky but were mostly through their descent. Julia had dozed off at some point, her form slumped in the grass beside them, a cute expression on her face, Felicia sitting there beside her in her human form.

“She’s going to be jealous she’s missing out,” Callie teased as she sat up, reluctantly extracting herself from Uriah’s embrace, but giving him a kiss as she did so. He felt a little warmer than he had when they’d gone to sleep, and there was something of a glow in three spots. The spots where his fox features manifested.

Felicia giggled, running a hand through Julia’s hair. “I can’t see through the grass as well in my smaller form, not without some extra height, and her lap kinda goes out of commission when she’s like that. She tried her best, but she’s not used to any of this. It’ll take some time.” Felicia then looked at her with a serious expression, as she mentally made an addition. ‘And she’s hungry too. Please make her feed tonight if she hasn’t by then. I can feel it, and I don’t even have a direct bond to her.’

‘You didn’t want to bring it up?’ Callie gave her a curious look.

I’m not the one she’s feeding on...’

Fair enough. Felicia had a point. Callie wasn’t sure how or when she was going to bring it up. Not at the moment at least. It made her feel a bit nervous, like she was asking about or probing into something deeply personal. Which it was on one level, but not on another. Julia would need the blood to survive. It was part of being a vampire, as far as her understanding went, and Julia’s behaviour thus far seemed to reinforce that. It was something that they’d both need to work on if they wanted things to go smoothly.

And it was tied in with everything else as well...

Once they were all up and some food consumed, it was back to walking. Down off the rise they could no longer see where the river was, but Uriah was certain of the direction, having correlated it to his sense of the seed, or whatever it was that he could feel, and that was good enough for Callie. She trusted him, and in the end, they were all just as new to this as each other. At least her and Uriah had had a little training in this area, and some knowledge from what they’d read. Sure, that knowledge was highly suspect, being from fiction and all, but it was a starting point, and they could build on it from there.

The day was warm, which was a good thing all things considered, and the sky clear. The sun wasn’t as orange as it had been the previous night, but it was still orange, and that was a worry. If the sun followed the normal rules for stars, then it was dying, and this world along with it, but the caveat was the existence of magic, and perhaps it was not. It certainly didn’t feel as intense as the sun normally did, but in the end, she didn’t have any reference point to compare to, for here.

Distances were rather deceptive as well it seemed, and coupled with the fact that they were walking, getting anywhere seemed to be taking forever. Callie was starting to get irritable by late afternoon, her feet sore and her legs aching, their pace having slowed considerably. Even cycling magic through her body wasn’t helping any more and she just wanted to sit. Of course, she’d be like this every day till she got used to it, and her shoes were the worst suited to walking. But they were the only pair that she had, and she’d make do with them. And hey, she still liked them.

That they hadn’t encountered anything else at all was a worry as well, and the anxiety over that was slowly building up. Something, anything, that they could forage, would make all the difference. And she was hoping that there was fish or something in the river. She wasn’t too fond of fish, but they weren’t in a position to be picky.

She still managed to walk for another hour before she called it, all but collapsing in the grass as pain radiated through her body, just lying there and staring up at the sky. Then closing her eyes and shifting her head into Uriah’s lap as he sat down beside her.

“We’ll camp here then,” he declared, taking off his pack in the process.

‘Sorry,’ she mentally apologised, sighing.

‘Don’t be,’ Uriah sent back as he ran a hand through her hair. ‘We’re all feeling it, and we’re feeling how hard you’re feeling it too.’ She could feel his grin form even if she couldn’t see it. ‘Julia was right. You are probably the most delicate among us, but your body is still changing.’

‘Her’s is too!’ she protested back, trying to mentally pout, but Uriah was probably right. According to popular lore, vampires always got stronger, while she had no idea of the extent of her own changes. She was still hoping for what she’d seen in the mindscape, the complete change, but as to what else was entailed, that was anyone's guess. Well, apart from her magic, given that it was driving the change.

She also had no idea what impact having the title of ‘Witch’ would have, if any. Just for once, she would have loved to have a proper source of information on it all, but she was well aware that they would be discovering everything on their own.

Somehow she had fallen asleep. The sun was starting to set when she was next aware of her surroundings, one of the blankets having been thrown over her, the other bundled up and under her head. She felt a little woozy, and quite embarrassed. Felicia was curled up next to her, and something of a camp had been set up, not that had much to actually set up with. She lazily swatted at a bee that had landed on her blanket, before stopping in shock as the significance of it hit her.

It was a bee. A living creature! The first that they’d seen in the two days that they’d spent here in this realm. There was hope! A lot of hope! She sat up with a jolt, and then regretted it as nausea washed over her, her magic complaining. It had been busy, dammit. Callie groaned and flopped back down with a sigh, giving Felicia a pet as she did so. Her fur was so soft, and she really was quite cute and adorable like that.

‘Where are the others?’ she eventually asked, after staring at the clouds for a bit.

Exploring the area a bit more.’ Felicia’s reply was instant, even if she still had her eyes closed. We noticed the insects after you fell asleep, and Uriah wanted to look a bit further to see if he could find anything else. As much as he’d loved to find the hive, he’s also aware that we don’t have any way of storing the honey right now, and he’s not so keen on getting stung. Julia went with him, because, and I quote, “I don’t want you trying to feed on her while she sleeps.”’ Felicia chuckled to herself. ‘Julia protested at that, declaring that she never would, but she went along anyways.’

Callie laughed to herself. She could imagine the scene.

He’s still a bit jealous of what happened, isn’t he?’ Felicia asked the question carefully, opening her eyes this time as she sat up and looked at her.

‘Can you blame him? This is all very new to us all.’ To her as well. Uriah meant the world to her, Callie gently touching the ring on her finger, feeling the magic flowing through her mark.

Do you like me?’

Callie blinked, a little confused. “Yes. You’ve been a great friend to me ever since... ever since that day.’ It still pained her to think of that event, even if Felicia was alive again.

I mean in more ways than just that.’ The intent of the question was very clear, the meaning being sent via their bond.

‘I...’ Callie blushed, and rolled over onto her side. ‘You’re... very beautiful. And confident in yourself. You’re also my familiar though.’ Well, more like bonded companion, given the nature of who they were and how the magic worked. ‘It’s... it’s complicated.’

Felicia’s laughed was light and joyful. Pleasant and reassuring. ‘That’s an understatement. And honestly, this is all very new to me too, and I’m not fully sure exactly where I fit in it all, and how I feel about it all. Julia, she’s the driving force behind it all. She knows what she wants, and it all sounds rather nice. But still very complex. Feelings, emotions, they are all very real.’

They sat and lay there in silence for a bit, the bee deciding that she wasn’t what it was after and flying away, her feel of Uriah’s location via the bond telling her that they were on their way back and weren’t too far off.

I got jealous too. Of how she made you feel.’ Felicia eventually stated softly, almost like she hadn’t wanted to say it. ‘That it wasn’t just me and her. I’d gladly have her feed from me, but she can’t, and that hurts on a level.’

Callie picked up the fox, and gave her a hug. ‘I’m sorry,’ was all that she could think to say.

Felicia gave a little purr, warm feelings coming back. ‘It was her choice, just like this was ours. We are all in this together, and we will just have to make it work.’

That definitely was the truth of it.

It was only a short while later, some light still left in the sky, when Uriah and Julia returned. They both looked and felt tired, the bond informing her of the latter, the two of them sitting down on either side of her, or in Julia’s case, straight up lying down.

“Find anything?” Callie asked, looking at Uriah.

“Lots more grass?” He gave her a smile, and leaned in, giving her a kiss on her forehead. “A little more life though. More insects, but nothing larger. It’s a good sign, and I’m pretty sure that we’ll hit the river tomorrow. You’re in charge of fishing, though, if there is anything in it.”

“Sure,” she replied, smiling back. ‘And thanks.’

Uriah just leaned in, and gave her another kiss, Callie happily giving him one back. She was... she was feeling in the mood to explore a bit further, but she also knew that he was tired and hadn’t had the chance to rest yet. And Felicia was also right. She could feel the desire now radiating off Julia.

Callie looked over at Julia. She looked perfectly normal lying there like that. No hint at all. Even if her senses were telling her otherwise. ‘Uri... she needs to feed.’

She felt Uriah stiffen, and then heard his sigh. ‘I’m not ready for it,’ he sent back. ‘Give me some time.’ He then stood and walked a little ways off, a beacon of light as his magic flared around him, his ethereal features taking form.

‘Uri?’ she asked, after a couple of minutes, Uriah just standing there, the magic dancing around him. She was... she was worried.

‘It makes me feel things, Callie. A... a lot of things. Not just the pleasure that you feel, but a lot beyond that. I had kinda hoped that we...’ The thought never finished, Uriah pulling it back mid sentence. ‘You mean everything to me. You always have, and everything that I’ve said has always been the truth. I love you. Everything has gotten a lot more complicated though. Felicia and Julia. Having to share you.’

‘Uri... I love you too. You mean the world to me too..’ She wasn’t sure what else to say.

‘The bonds... they are more than just words and sentiments. There is real power behind it all, that makes us all stronger. I can feel it. And... I can feel a lot more too. It’s like my emotions have been heightened, your changes influencing me as well. I don’t hate it. I just... I’m just a little lost.’ Turning, Uriah walked back to them, features still prominent, sitting back down next to her.

“You’re hot,” Julia declared, sitting up, eyes hungrily looking at Uriah.

“Quiet you,” Uriah replied, a slight edge to his voice, Julia just grinning in response, fangs bared. “It’ll be your time soon enough.”

Uriah reached out, gently touching Callie’s face as he stared at her. His fingers had little ethereal claws on them. That was new. ‘I will never deny you. Ever. Or her. Or Felicia too, I guess, though I have no idea where she sits. But... yeah... feelings.’ His ears twitched as he spoke, his eyes deep and drawing her in. Moments passed, Uriah just looking at her, before he finally spoke again. ‘Callie... can I?’

‘I will never deny you either.’

Uriah placed his arms around her, pulling her in, their lips touching. There was power flowing through him, and through her, mixing and mingling, the kiss nothing like she’d ever had before. Beautiful, passionate, magical. His feelings and desires, her feelings and desires, their needs, all clear and open, and blazing around them. She didn’t want it to end, her arms wrapping around him and pulling him closer, their bodies pressed tightly together.

Callie felt a pang of sadness when they eventually separated, still staring deeply into his eyes. She could still see his desires there, his love, and more of his vulpine nature too. Reflected there, and no longer hidden as deeply as it had been. She leaned in and gave him another kiss before pulling back again.

“That was... that was amazing,” Uriah murmured, hands running down her back. ‘But she’s looking all shades of jealous,’ he added mentally, with amusement. ‘I think... that I’m as ready as I’ll ever be.’ Letting go of her, he shifted himself around till he was sitting directly behind her, their backs resting against each other’s.

Julia was indeed looking... complicated. She was blushing, her eyes very much alive and tinged a deep red. They were kind of beautiful like that. Alluring. She had sat up, her hair brushed behind her head, and she was gazing directly at her. Felicia was sitting there, beside her, but Julia didn’t seem to be paying her much attention at all.

Callie took a deep breath, closed her eyes, and opened them again. She has no idea about how to approach this. Guess there was probably only one way.

“Julia, you need to feed.” Blunt and straight to the point.

“I know,” Julia replied, her fangs briefly bared as she continued to look at her. “You have no idea what effect that display just had.”

“Then, please?” Callie shifted herself slightly, making sure that her clothes and hair were well and truly clear of her neck.

Julia moved herself over, straddling Callie with her legs, leaning in close. Her scent had changed, even if it was mixed in with sweat from the days walking. A tinge of blood, and a tinge of something else. Something alluring, that felt like it would mix well with Uriah’s vulpine scent. Something that was making her blush. Her breath was hot as Julia’s fingers ran across her bare skin.

“Callie, I, umm. I know that I'm being selfish, but I want more. More than just the feeding. And... not just from you. The feelings... they're so much stronger now, and I do not want to bury nor deny them.” She leaned right in, her fingers still on Callie’s neck as her lips hovered only a fraction for her own. “I will not take without consent though.”

Callie sat there, eyes closed, her everything a whirlwind of emotions and magic, before she moved her head just that little bit, and gave Julia a quick kiss. Julia showed no hesitation, leaning forward and making the kiss more than just that, her lips so soft, before she pulled back, her hands shifting, the brief coldness of the air on Callie’s skin. Then her lips were back, her fangs biting deep into her neck, a stab of pain before the pleasure hit, her eyes still closed as her hand found Uriah’s again, intertwining. She was prepared for it, but it was still intense, and encompassing, making her want things.

She wasn’t sure how long Julia fed for, but eventually she pulled back, her hand brushing Callie’s face. Callie opened her eyes, Julia looking straight at her, a contented expression on her face, her eyes now more than just tinged red. Leaning in, she kissed Callie again, before she snuggled into her, head on her chest, arms wrapping around both her and Uriah.

‘In protest at being left out, Felicia has claimed my lap,’ Uriah informed her with a laugh.

It was kinda nice, Callie closing her eyes again, her free arm wrapping around Julia. The sun sunk below the horizon, night starting to take its hold as a brilliant glow tinged the lower sky.

“Callie?” Julia shifted a little, her voice barely more than a whisper.

“Hmm?”

“Bond me, like you did Uriah.”

Relationships are complicated...

The next chapter (26 – That Which Lingers) will be out within the next week.

If you'd like to support my writing, please consider supporting my Pateron. It currently has advance chapters of What Lies Within, and Wolf Mother (still just one chapter, but I will be getting back to it). You can also find published versions of some of my stories on all amazon stores (Amazon US store). If you do purchase, please consider rating as well. It means a lot. It's another great way of supporting authors.

Anyways, thanks for reading. Comments etc are welcome. There is also a discord Server if you'd just like to chat: https://discord.gg/Y2gaPFB6X6 (as well as a bunch of other stuff; we're nice people). It also has a channel with larger versions of all of the covers, since SH and RR only store tiny versions.

Don't forget to check out my other stories if you like my writing. ^^ I'm especially proud of Esper and the Witch.

41