Chapter 7
222 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ares dismantled Davern United single handedly. The locker room fell silent as the coach, analyst, and players all watched her with awe. Six bullets per person. That’s all Ares used. She didn’t pick up another weapon like Lucas had in his match. Instead, she sprinted through the map, hardly slowing at all, as she dropped Davern United players one after another with nothing but her primary weapon. She was fast, electric, and impossibly accurate. Typical matches take around ten minutes to complete. Ares finished hers in less than three.

“Unbelievable, ladies and gentleman.” The announcer shouted as the first round drew to a close. “I just feel the need to remind everyone watching that every team here today makes up the best of the best players from around the world. What we’ve witnessed, first from Defcon Gaming’s Silence and now from Phoenix Esports’ Ares, should be impossible. Jared, this has already been the best semi-finals we’ve ever had in Focal Point, doesn’t your mouth just water when considering seeing these two go head to head in the finals?”

“It keeps me up at night.” Jared responded to his coworker. “I don’t think any of us could dream of a better finals matchup. But in order for all of our dreams to come true, Phoenix has to maintain the pressure on Davern United as we come back for round two…”

The rest of the game played out nearly as everyone expected. The skill gap between Davern and Phoenix was too great. To Davern United’s credit, they managed to take a round off of Phoenix through a clever trap that caught three of Phoenix’s players in an explosion, including Ares. Even five on two, they barely came out of that round with a victory. The final count came to seven wins Phoenix, one win Davern. When the two teams came out of their cubes to shake their opponent’s hands, Lucas’ eyes were drawn straight to Ares. She didn’t look happy at all from her victory. Her lips were pressed in a tight line as Phoenix Esports took their victory bow in front of the stadium.

The video cut back to the announcer booth where the duo continued to hype up tomorrow’s match. The way they spoke didn’t make it sound like a team game at all. All focus was on Ares vs Silence. The rest of the two teams were hardly mentioned.

“All I can say,” one of the announcers concluded, “Is tomorrow we can finally put to rest the debate all of us have been having all year. Who is the best Focal Point player in the world.”

Alan tapped a button at the top of his remote to shut off the screen. He stretched out his arms and stood up with a yawn.

“All right team.” He turned to face everyone seated behind him. “I want everyone to head back to the hotel and rest up.”

“Also,” He raised his right hand and pointed at each player in turn, “Do not go out partying tonight. Last thing we need is for one of you to get injured or arrested doing something stupid. I catch you doing that, you're off the team.”

Alan paused his finger on Flash last, “We clear?”

“Yes sir.” Everyone answered in unison.

Lucas waited for everyone else to leave the locker room first before he left himself. Fortunately, no one paid him any mind. Lucas allowed his feet to carry him down the familiar hallways and to the exit. Lost in thought, Lucas stepped out of the player entrance and into a large crowd. Two large groups of fans had gathered on either side of the walkway in order to catch a glimpse of their favorite players leaving. Upon his sudden appearance, cheers and screams erupted in a deafening tidal wave from the mass of people. Lucas could almost see the wave spread as heads turned in a uniform motion all around him. Stadium security stepped forward and began to remind fans to stay behind the metal barricades. Lucas ducked his head and walked directly down the cleared path. At the edge of the street, a car pulled up and stopped in front of the distracted teenager.

“How were you planning on getting back to the hotel?” A familiar voice called out of the car window.

Lucas paused. He hadn’t thought about that. Normally, he’d call a taxi or hitch a ride with a member of Defcon Gaming. But since he had purposefully waited for everyone to leave before him and his phone had been taken from him earlier in the day, Lucas didn’t have any way back.

Lucas felt his face flush as he ducked into the rental car. “Thanks mom.”

His mom simply laughed and ruffled his hair playfully. Lucas couldn’t help but join in, her smile had always been infectious. Sharlese Wright put the car into drive and pulled away from the crowded stadium. Lucas took a moment to look at his mother. At forty six years old, and in spite of an extremely difficult life, she still maintained a youthful appearance that other women would kill for. Full luscious brown hair, beautiful chocolate skin, and a picture perfect smile that she had gained over a lifetime as a receptionist. Lucas’ dad passed away in a car accident shortly after Lucas was born. Sharlese had lived as a single mother ever since. While her happiness had always been genuine, Lucas could still remember a time where even his mother’s optimism had been stretched far too thin.

“What’s on your mind?”

Lucas jumped in his seat.

“Sorry. I didn’t mean to be staring.” Lucas turned towards the window to watch the slow moving traffic instead.

His mother laughed. “Come on. What’s up?”

Lucas shrugged. “Just thinking about how you used to work three jobs.”

A hint of sadness slipped into her smile. “Really? I thought you’d be thinking about your big win back there. You usually obsess over that stuff for days.”

“Guess I’m just distracted.”

His mother sighed. “Alan told me that you had your phone stolen earlier today. What happened?”

Lucas looked down at the floor mat. “Just some guys in the park. They asked for it and I figured it was better to hand it over.”

“Alan said he’d track it down and hopefully get it back. If not, we’ll get you a new one tomorrow.” She reached out a hand and patted Lucas’ arm. “You were working on your resignation again weren’t you?”

Lucas watched an upcoming traffic light change from yellow to red. The car slowed to a complete stop before he silently nodded.

“Lucas.” his mother turned to him gently. “You know that I’ll support anything you decide to do, right?”

Lucas could feel a well of emotions lurch up within himself. He took a shaky breath and nodded again.

“Help me understand Lucas. You still love that game. I don’t want you to think about money for a second. It doesn’t matter how much you’re making right now. We’ve always made ends meet even before you became famous and we can make it work afterwards too.” The light turned green and her attention once again turned to the road. “I remember when you first were picked up by Mr. Sturm, you talked about nothing but your competitive games all year long. I was so worried when you first started out. You’ve never been one for crowds or socializing. That’s just how you are. Nothing wrong with that. You can imagine how happy I was honey when you actually started to come out of your shell because of your career. You grew so much the first two years. But lately you’ve been putting up walls around yourself again. Isolating yourself away from others like you don’t care. But I saw you in that match today. In every match as a matter of fact. That passion is still there, Lukey.”

“Mom,” Lucas groaned, “Don’t call me that.”

“Am I wrong?”

Lucas stayed quiet. It wasn’t that he didn’t want to explain it to his mother. He just didn’t know how to explain it at all. That was one of the main reasons he couldn’t write out his resignation. The hotel came into view just down the street. Lucas’ mother slowed and turned on her signal to enter the parking garage.

“I don’t mean to pressure you Lucas. You figure things out in your own time and do what will make you happy.”

“I was thinking…” Lucas carefully voiced the thought as it formed in his mind. “That maybe I could go to college.”

An opening appeared for them to make their turn, Lucas’ mom missed it as she turned to look at Lucas directly.

“That’s great honey.” A huge smile spread across her face. “What do you want to study?”

Lucas shifted uncomfortably in his seat. “I was thinking… Artificial Intelligence… Maybe.”

His mom nodded thoughtfully as she made the left hand turn after another opportunity presented itself. “Sounds… Complex.”

“Not bad,” She rushed to clarify, “I guess I’m just surprised. Where is this coming from?”

Lucas felt his cheeks flush, “Well… A lot of Focal Point was created using AI… It also has some of the most realistic bots to play against in any game out there. I find it… interesting.”

“I see.” Lucas’ mom chuckled. “It always comes back to that game doesn’t it?”

Lucas groaned and placed his face in his hands. “Forget it.”

“No, I think it's great honey.” she patted his arm once more. “You didn’t have great grades in high school but I’m sure we could find somewhere that’d accept you.”

“Really?” Lucas looked up in shock. “You think so?”

His mom smiled in a reassuring manner. “Of course. They’ll be lining up to have the great Silence attend their university.”

Lucas snorted. It sounded ridiculous. His mom chuckled again as she pulled into an empty parking space.

“Are you planning on quitting before the game tomorrow?” She asked in a serious tone.

Lucas paused but shook his head.

She turned off the ignition, “Okay. That would have made a few people angry, but I’d support you if that’s what you wanted to do.”

Lucas smiled and nodded.

“And you know, there are a lot of professional Focal Point players who go to college at the same time.”

Lucas sighed. “Yeah. I know.”

His mom ruffled his hair again. “Like I said Lukey, take your time. This is your life. Don’t let others dictate how you live it. Especially if that makes you unhappy.”

“Now come on,” she opened her car door, “I want to have a nice dinner with the soon to be three time world champion.”

His mother left before she could see the smile disappear from his face. While he hadn’t known how to put everything into words there was one thing he knew for sure. Tomorrow he would lose.

10