Interlude 1
205 4 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Audio log recovered from Aegis Command Center memory banks]

[Audio originally recorded in Central Command Center A1]

[...]

[Begin Playback]

[Corrupted files detected]

[Salvaging files]

[Resume Playback]

[Muffled voices in the background can be heard faintly before a female voice cuts loudly through the static]

“...Irresponsible to allow him to move around so soon. He needs time to heal from his operation.”

[A male voice sighs deeply]

“I don’t want to get into this again Lieutenant. D419 requested permission to access the firing range and I approved. That’s all. If she thinks he’s combat ready then we shouldn’t hold him back. Besides, now we know he is worth the trouble we’ve gone through.”

“Yes, I know the records are impressive…”

[The female voice is cut off by the gruffer male voice]

“Impressive? Lieutenant, a new recruit breaking a record after a few dozen attempts is impressive. The kid shattered every range record without taking more than two attempts on each one.”

“I realize that sir. His integration with his AI is remarkable and he has exceptional memory and pattern recognition, yes, but the randomized trial…”

“He set the record in that category too.”

“Yes sir. But by a much smaller margin, comparatively.”

[A touch of impatience crept into the female voice as she replied]

“All I’m trying to say sir is that combat is not as easy to anticipate as a firing range drill with stationary targets.”

[The male voice scoffed]

“Look, we’ll get him ready. Have the techs given the green light for another retrieval?”

[Papers rustle lightly in the background before the female voice responded]

“It should be ready by tomorrow. Though there are still concerns that the power surge we experienced with Mr. Wright may not have been a normal phenomenon.”

“Understood. Prep the retrieval of our second candidate as soon as possible. These kids are far better than we could have hoped for…”

[Remaining files corrupted]

[Terminating playback]

10