Chapter 16
182 4 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After a brief moment of surprised silence, the room erupted into voices. Panicked cries were quickly drowned out by commanding officers calling for attention. Trays and plates clattered loudly to the floor as soldiers stumbled to get their bearings in the complete darkness.

“Judging from the general panic, I’m guessing this isn’t a normal occurrence.” Lucas observed.

Lilly’ blue eyes remained visible in the darkness, casting a gentle glow that illuminated a portion of her featureless face. If he weren’t accustomed to reading her emotions from her eyes and his mental connection with her, Lucas was sure he would have been frightened by her appearance in the dark.

“No, it certainly isn’t.” Lilly turned to survey the mess hall behind her. “The backup generators should kick in within a minute or so.”

 Lilly’ eyes returned to look into Lucas’ own, “I’d recommend we head back to your room. That’s where command would want us anyway until the situation is sorted out.”

“Okay,” Lucas nodded as he stood carefully from the table, “Are we under attack or something?”

“No,” Lilly tapped the side of her head, “My comms are still up and the general message is a power failure of some kind. No mention of hostile activities in or around the Aegis complex.”

“That’s a relief at least,” Lucas turned in the direction of where the mess hall exit would be, “Um…”

The darkness was absolute. There was no way to tell where anything was in the room.

“How are we going to get back to my quarters?”

Lilly chuckled. Lucas turned to face her again but could not find her dimly lit eyes anywhere around him. A loud clang of metal striking tile directly in front of Lucas caused him to fall backwards into his chair.

“What was that?” Lucas thought his heart would burst from how hard it thumped in his chest.

Lilly’ eyes reappeared in front of him, now on his side of the table.

“Sorry,” She laughed again, “Had to get over the table without breaking it so I jumped.”

“Warn me next time.” Lucas grumbled as he stood up once more. “Can you see?”

“Yup.” Lilly answered smugly. “Built in night vision. Can switch in and out at will.”

“I guess that’s one good thing about having an advanced military AI around you at all times.” Lucas stopped for a moment.

Other than a few officers, none of the other soldiers in the mess hall had their AI units with them. They were all certainly missing them now.

“Actually now that I think about it, how come no one else has their paired AI with them?” Lucas wondered aloud.

“AI’s don’t need to eat, or sleep really, for that matter, so they utilize that time to get acquainted with the other AIs on the team they're working with.” Lilly explained.

Lucas nodded. “Okay. So how are you going to get me out of here? Do you need me to hold your hand or something.”

Lilly placed both hands together on the side of her face and swung her torso back and forth in an exaggerated, bashful manner. Though she couldn’t blush, Lucas was almost positive she would be at this moment.

“Oh my, Lucas. You’re awfully forward today. I’d love to hold hands with you.”

“Stop.” Lucas groaned. “I didn’t mean it like that and you know it.”

“Don’t worry tough guy, I understand.” Lilly stopped her giggling. 

A gentle metal hand lifted Lucas’ arm and placed it against her back. “Just hold onto me and I’ll guide you forward. Unfortunately, if we were holding hands you would be more likely to run into a doorway so we’ll move like this. Ready?”

Once Lucas gave a positive response, Lilly deftly made her way forward, zig zagging past objects Lucas couldn’t see. They turned and walked a few dozen feet further before Lilly slowed her pace.

“We’re heading through the doorway.” She informed her blind companion. “Stick close and keep your hands inside the ride at all times.”

Lucas gave a single laugh but tucked himself closer to his guide all the same. They continued in this manner for a short time before lights began flickering to life throughout the hallways. It wasn’t every light, Lucas noted, as a white luminescent bulb flickered to life directly above their heads. The emergency lights were evenly spaced down the long cement tunnels. Lucas decided it was best to still follow Lilly’ suggestion and wait in his quarters until everything was back to normal so they continued on. Even after entering his quarters, the lights remained at emergency dimness for the next several hours. They pair talked for the remainder of the evening, only stopping when Lucas began to nod off from where he sat on his bed. Surprisingly, Lilly elected to stay the night. She normally left when Lucas went to bed to ‘recharge’ or whatever her equivalent was. Lucas kept forgetting to ask her about what that was like for her. The lids of his eyes were far too heavy to ask now though. Lucas allowed himself to lay back and drift into a deep sleep as Lilly turned off the lights and quietly took a seat in the far corner.

—--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Lucas wake up.”

“Huh?” Lucas groggily mumbled as he felt himself forcefully roused from his slumber.

He felt Lilly’ metallic hand gently shaking him once more. “Come on Lucas. Our presence is requested over in medical.”

Lucas’ mind slowly started to turn its gears as he squinted his eyes at the bright lights directly above him.

“Why do we need to go to medical?” Lucas sat up, woozy from the change in positions, “What time is it?”

Lilly took a step back when it was apparent that Lucas wouldn’t fall back asleep. “Around six in the morning. All I was told is that our presence was required in medical as soon as possible. We better get moving.”

Lucas struggled for a bit to tie his shoes before getting fully to his feet. Lilly had already moved to the door and she opened it for him as soon as he looked her way. Once in the hall, Lilly took the lead and Lucas followed her down the lengthy hallways towards the medical wing of the facility. Though tired, Lucas still noticed that security had been increased since last night’s power outage. There were more guards in the hallways and all of them had the same piercing gaze that tracked Lucas wherever he went. There were many things that Lucas wanted to ask Lilly but the vibration she was sending out convinced him to hold off. She was worried. Anxious about something. Lucas could only hope that whatever they were needed for in medical would help shed some light on the mysteries around him.

Armed guards were stationed in front of the closed medical wing doors. Lucas watched the guard on the right lift a hand to his ear briefly as Lucas and Lilly approached. Without a word, the guards took a step to either side and opened the thick metal doors so Lucas and Lilly could pass. The second Lucas stepped through, the guards shut the doors behind them. The ominous sound of locks snapping into place did little to put Lucas’ worries to rest. Lilly continued, unfazed, as she walked the familiar path to the wing that Lucas had initially woken up in the morning of his arrival. A pit began to form in Lucas' stomach as he began to suspect what his summonings were all about.

As they entered the hallway where the recovery rooms were located, Lucas began to hear voices echoing off the white concrete walls. He couldn’t make out what was being said, but it sounded like an argument. Halfway down the hall, Lucas spotted Riff’s AI Jackson standing at attention just outside of a door. Another pair of guards were also present but they took up positions a bit further away.

“I appreciate you both coming.” Jackson gave a slight bow of his head as the pair approached.

Lucas nodded. “Why are we here?”

Jackson cocked his head at the door the angry voices emanated from. “The lieutenant is inside trying to calm down an acquaintance of yours. They are proving a touch less understanding than you were so the lieutenant thought it might help if you spoke to them yourself.”

Lucas swallowed hard, he had suspected as much. “Someone from my world?”

Lilly’ vibration shifted to concern at this news. Lucas shot her a reassuring smile.

“Indeed.” Jackson took a step away from the door and gestured for Lucas to enter. “We just need you to help them understand that we’re not the bad guys and are not trying to hurt them. That’s all. You don’t have to convince them to stay or anything like that.”

Lucas took a deep breath and approached the door. “Who is it?”

Jackson didn’t respond. He didn’t need to. He could hear Riff’s voice inside the room. From the sound of the second voice. It could only be one person. Even if she wasn’t shouting, Lucas knew who it would be. Their plan was to bring over Focal Point’s best player. If she wasn’t first over, there’s no way she would be anything less than second. The action of Lucas opening the medical room’s door stopped the conversation mid sentence. A disheveled lieutenant Riff stood slightly off to the right. Her defensive posture and the various items that had been tossed around the room indicated that she hadn’t been very successful in calming the occupant.

Lucas’ gaze rose from the fallen IV stand and metal chair to the person responsible for throwing them. Even in an unflattering gray hospital gown, Ashten Sung looked stunning. Her soft pale skin and raven black hair radiated in the white light. Lucas could see outright shock and confusion at his sudden appearance in her room. She held another metal chair in her hands, clearly willing to throw it at Riff if she felt threatened in any way. Lucas looked back and forth between the two women, unsure of what he could say to diffuse the situation. Ashten’s eyes tore themselves away from Lucas and focused on Riff with sudden intensity.

“He agreed to help you?” Her voice carried a slight English accent as she spoke.

Riff opened her mouth to respond but stopped herself. Instead, she looked at Lucas.

“Have you decided Lucas?” The lieutenant asked with her eyebrows raised.

Even though she was still in the hallway behind him, Lucas felt Lilly stiffen at the question. He could feel the conflicting vibrations of self control and worry flow freely from her mind to his own. Lucas felt a small smile tug at the edge of his mouth. He could definitely tease her about this later.

I guess I have decided. Lucas’ indecision vanished in an instant.

“I’d like to do what I can.” He shrugged. “I’ll stay.”

He felt a hum of joy come through his connection with Lilly. Ashten studied him carefully for an uncomfortable minute before she turned back to Riff.

“So he has a… robot too?”

Riff nodded. “I believe she’s just outside if you’d…”

“No.” Ashten shook her head quickly. “I… I’ll talk with you. I’m sorry I threw things at you.”

Lucas watched Riff’s shoulders drop a fraction of an inch from relief.

“That’s quite all right. No harm done.”

“One thing though,” Ashten pointed aggressively at Lucas, “I don’t want him in here.”

Lucas blinked in surprise. At this point, Ashten refused to look back in his direction.

Riff looked equally shocked at the sudden change. 

“Oh.” She looked at Lucas with an apologetic frown. “Would you mind…”

Lucas nodded and backed out of the room, shutting the door behind him. After a few moments, muffled voices began to speak inside at a far quieter volume.

“Well done Lucas.” Jackson slapped him on the back. “You took care of that quickly.”

“I didn’t really do anything,” Lucas shook his head in wonder.

“Is she your ex?” Lilly poked his shoulder playfully.

Lucas felt his face flush. “What? No.”

“Then why is she so obsessed with you?”

“Jackson.” Lucas turned to the taller AI while he ignored Lilly. “I don’t think Ashten wants me around. Do you mind if Lilly and I head back for now? We can return if you need us.”

“That works for me.” Jackson gave a small salute. “We’ll keep you posted on miss Sung’s progress.”

“Come on Lucas.” Lilly skipped forward and began to walk backwards in front of him. “You two have history. Spill it.”

“She’s my…” Lucas scratched his head. “Rival?”

“Yeah duh.” Lilly snorted. “I’ve downloaded and watched all of your games from Focal Point. She’s been talked about a lot this past year whenever you’re playing. Considering how calm and collected Ares has been in competition her reaction seems a bit intense for a simple rivalry don’t you think?”

Lucas nodded in agreement. He’d never spoken to Ashten, or Ares as she was known in game, before now. Lilly was certainly right though, Silence and Ares probably wouldn’t become friends any time soon.

“Well, either way, she’s going to be our teammate from now on.” Lilly stretched her arms out in an animated fashion.

Lucas lurched. “What?”

Lilly laughed. “Yeah. That was the plan, remember? Anyone brought over from your world would be placed into a volunteer military unit together.”

There was an unpleasant taste in Lucas’ mouth. He didn’t have anything against Asten. Quite the opposite, in fact. She was a phenomenal player. But she didn’t seem to like him at all, and Lucas had already endured far too much of that from teammates.

“We’re all going to get really cozy with one another.” Lilly wiggled her digital eyebrows at him.

“Maybe she won’t want to become a pilot.” Lucas tossed out with false optimism.

“Ha, not a chance,” Lilly wouldn’t let him have an inch, “You heard it in her voice just as I did. She won’t back down from anything that you’re a part of.”

Lucas let out a heavy sigh as they passed through the doors out of the medical wing. As the locks once more snapped into place behind them, Lucas couldn’t help but feel that his uncomfortable future was being locked in place as well.

13