Chapter 19
179 0 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I’m sorry Lucas, that’s classified.

Ironic. He sighed deeply at Lilly’ response. You can’t even tell me when we’re like this?

Lucas lifted up Lilly’ robotic hand and tapped the side of their head. He had waited to ask Lilly about the information Ashten had shared the previous evening. Lucas figured that she wouldn’t be able to say anything out loud, but maybe when they were directly linked together they could have a more private conversation about the subject. That’s why they had arrived early to their morning training exercises. If only to have a few minutes to try and get some answers from his companion.

Can they listen to us when we talk like this too?

No. Lilly hastily denied the possibility. There’s not a way for them to track what we talk about here. That’s not the issue.

Then what is?

It was Lilly’s turn to let out an exasperated sigh.

There’s information that I am not capable of speaking or even thinking about without express orders from a commanding officer of sufficient rank. She explained. So it’s not that I don’t want to tell you what you want to know…

You physically can’t? Lucas ventured.

Precisely.

Lucas could feel Lilly’ worry at this line of questioning seep through their connection.

I’m not trying to deceive you Lucas. She thought gently. I was built by the US military. I have information inside, known or unknown to me, that could prove dangerous if not protected. They’re just precautions.

Lucas nodded slowly. I just don’t like the idea that they can forcibly sensor you. Doesn’t seem right to have that level of control over a person.

A pleasant vibration emanated through their connection.

I’m touched you think of me that way Lucas.

There was no playful humor in Lilly’s statement. Lucas could feel how much his words meant to her.

I’m an artificial construct built for combat. I was never meant to be a person. At least, not in that sense. My number one priority is the safety and security of the humans living in the country.

Lucas nodded slowly but didn’t retort. Even if there was truth to her statement, the sentiment left a bitter taste in his mouth. The sound of metal on concrete forced Lucas to shelve his thoughts for the moment. There were far more present matters that demanded his attention.

He stood in the middle of a makeshift American town. The single central street ran directly through the entirety of the warehouse sized training room. Along this two lane street, beginning roughly halfway through the arena, large plywood houses flanked either side. Lucas had counted fourteen total, seven on both sides of the road. Lucas stood directly in front of the first pair of fake homes as they provided most of the cover from here to the far wall. The landscape leading up to the town was mostly barren, only a few fake trees, brush, and rocks could be seen on the dusty concrete battlefield.

A single robot approached Lucas and Lilly’ position. Even though they only met briefly, Lucas immediately identified the approaching form as Amber. Though, much like Lilly was now, Amber came equipped for a firefight. A lightweight tactical vest was strapped over her armored torso. Numerous loaded magazines for her standard issue M33 were carefully placed in the vest for easy access. Eight across her chest, two under each arm, and perhaps a few further back but Lucas couldn’t verify that from here. The rifle itself was currently slung over her right shoulder. As Lucas turned his vision towards the newcomer, a small but noticeable blue icon flashed directly over its head.

Since we’ll be learning how to work with a team. Lilly jumped in as she sensed the question forming in Lucas’ mind. I turned on IFF markers for your overlay. Focus on the small blue dot you see over her head.

Lucas did as he was instructed and saw the name ARES appear above the approaching AI’s head.

I was asked to assign you both callsigns. Lilly was once again ahead of Lucas’ questions. I thought it would be easy to use what you’re both already familiar with.

So, Lucas put two and two together, That means I would be…

“Silence.” Ashten’s stiff greeting came from Amber’s robotic form.

“Right.” Lucas coughed nervously. “Thanks for coming.”

Thanks for coming? Lilly snorted. What do you think this is, a date?

One bright side of being in Lilly’s robot form was no one could see him blush.

“I mean… We should get started.”

Ashten simply nodded.

“What can we be expecting today?” A feminin voice other than Ashten or Lilly asked.

It was a quiet, soft voice that Lucas really needed to focus on to hear clearly. Seeing as there was only one other person here, it had to belong to Amber. Her voice was sweet and gave Lucas the impression of being a year or two younger than any of them. Lucas frowned internally.

“We’ve been tossed into the deep end for this one.” Lilly responded on Lucas’ behalf. “The task we’ve been given for today is to hold off a superior force for as long as possible.”

The task we’ve been given? Lucas repeated, confused. I thought you’ve been the one selecting our scenarios.

Not this time. Lilly responded before she lifted her own arm to point through the fake town they stood in front of.

“Our mission is to delay the enemy from reaching the far end of this town. Survival is a secondary objective.” Lilly continued her briefing.

“Secondary?” Both Lucas and Ashten spoke at the same time.

“Let’s just try our best.” Lilly laughed. “Besides, it’s starting now.”

A loud buzzer immediately drowned out all of Lucas’ burning questions. Up until this point, Lucas and Lilly had been facing small squads of enemies. Ten to twenty at most for any given scenario. What Lucas witnessed being released from large metal gates across the massive room was nothing short of a horde. Dozens of hostile bots were being flooded into the terrain.

Lucas heard a small click beside him and turned to identify the sound. Asthen had removed the magazine from her weapon and was currently inspecting it. With a slight nod, Ashten pushed the magazine back into her rifle and chambered a round. She turned to Lucas with a curious look on Amber’s face.

“How do you want to handle this?” She asked.

Lucas cocked his head at the unexpected question.

“You want me to call the shots?”

Ashten looked away, but nodded silently.

“Okay.” Lucas took a breath and thumbed the safety off of his own weapon and quickly began to formulate a battle plan.

 

Expect a longer delay between this chapter and the next one. I wrote the next chapter a while ago and need a bit of time to rework it. As always, thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed.

11