Chapter 22
132 4 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Even though uncertainty chewed on sergeant major Frank Barnes’ stomach he maintained his usual stern and scowling facial expression. This wasn’t the way to build a squad. Frank wasn’t sure what the general had in mind when he pulled up that list of seven kids to throw in with Lucas and Ashten. The army had years stacked on years of experience with what it took to forge young people into warriors. Though, much of that knowledge had been abandoned as of late. Given the fact that half of the country was currently occupied by hostile robotic forces, quantity over quality had become the mantra.

Still, the sergeant major had doubts when it came to this particular project that the general had cooking. The two kids they brought over from the alternate dimension were certainly incredible. Of course the hardened old veteran would never tell them that directly. An inflated head just made a soldier easier to pick off out in the field. Still, Frank didn’t understand why the general was adamant that they should remain separated from the main training regiment. There was the matter of secrecy, of course, but that didn’t excuse the complete lack of professional oversight and direction. To Frank, some fancy AI was no replacement for the real down to earth experience from a soldier who has seen war and returned alive to share it.

But then again, they never paid me to think for anyone with a higher rank than me. Frank thought bitterly.

The large training room the newly assembled squad was in had been designed to replicate the tight and complicated fighting conditions that came within a dense city environment. Tall plywood structures sat compactly together lining three narrow streets. The many floors, windows, balconies, alleyways, and doorways made it an extremely chaotic area to take engagements in. As the seven fresh recruits…

No. Frank had to correct his own thinking. That’s purposefully misleading. As if any of these kids were voluntarily recruited.

The draft was basically the only source of manpower the country had left to rely on. Frank had to shake his head as Lucas split off from the other AI combat platforms and darted into the small makeshift city. The seven kids he would be facing watched him go before James began to order them around.

“Am I to be included in this exercise?” A soft voice the sergeant major recognized as Amber asked him quietly.

Frank turned to find Ashten’s AI approaching him cautiously.

“That won’t be necessary. You can come with me. I’ve watched recordings of Silence in action.” He let out one singular harsh laugh. “He’s going to eat these kids alive.”

—---------------------------------------------------

“We’re going to split up into two fireteams of three.” James pushed the nearest two AI’s to either side of him to highlight his statement.

The one on his right swatted his hand down and refused to move.

“And who said we even want to take part in your little power grab?” A rough young woman’s voice asked hotly. “Your AI might look like the rest of us but I can still spot a prick when I see one.”

“Insubord-” James cut off his words before he spoke them.

He had to remember that he didn’t have any authority yet. He would have to take a different path if he was to gain what he wanted.

“Look, I realize we’ve all just met, but I can guarantee you that I’m a better candidate for squad leader than that guy.” James gestured a metallic hand over his shoulder towards the wooden city. “I come from a long line of military strategists. I’ve spent my entire life studying combat and tactics. I’m ready for this.”

The girl who refused to move scoffed.

“And you think that-”

“Hey!” A boy’s voice from the back cut in. “Does anybody else even want to be squad leader?”

James looked around with a frown, but no one else said a word. Surprisingly, the girl in front of him remained quiet as well. After a few tense moments, she stepped backwards and fell into the group to his right.

“I’m glad that’s settled then.” James turned to the boy who spoke up. “Thank you… Whatever your name is.”

“Douglas Smith.” The boy shook his head. “And you’re only our squad leader until the end of this exercise. I’m guessing the sergeant guy wouldn’t put all of us against that one dude if he didn’t think we weren’t at a disadvantage.”

“That’s actually well put Dug.” Douglas’ AI spoke up with a chuckle. “Was that a triple negative in that sentence?”

Douglas laughed. “Well I didn’t see no autocorrect.”

I see he gets along well with his AI. James thought to himself. If what my family said was true then that’s a big advantage.

Are you perhaps doubting our own connection sir? An amused male voice asked internally.

No. James denied it but he knew he couldn’t completely cover his deeply seeded concern.

It’s only been a few days. I’m sure given enough time we’ll be running smoother than any AI pilot pair in history. Henry spoke with a confidence that James wished he shared.

The connection between human and AI was meant to be mutually beneficial. A pair would be faster, stronger, and smarter together than they would ever be alone. Of course, that kind of benefit was completely dependent on the quality of connection made between the biological and artificial brains. James’ own connection with his AI had been… rough so far.

But that’s all going to change. James forced himself to think.

That’s the spirit sir. I’ll pull your squad’s IFF markers on your heads up display. Henry said enthusiastically.

Names and small friendly markers appeared above the other six heads around him. From left to right James read; Allie Denison and her AI Chris, Enrique Lopez and his AI Sofia, Sharon Vienna and her AI Kristee, the guy who already identified himself Douglas Smith and his AI Danny, the stubborn girl was named Christina Fisher and her AI Tobias, and finally there was Kenneth Lee and his AI Alex.

“Okay.” James began to direct a willing group. “Allie, Enrique, and Sharon, you three will be fireteam one. Douglas, Christina, and Kenneth you two will be fireteam two. We’re going to take this city one street at a time. Each fireteam will clear buildings on their side of the street until we find where this Silence guys is hiding. Once we identify the building, we’ll cover the entrances and assault it as one unit. Are we clear?”

“I-I don’t know how…” An extremely fearful Allie squeaked out from the side.

“CQC and room clearing knowledge is built into every combat unit.” James tapped the side of his own AI unit’s metal head. “Use your mental links and let them guide you through it.”

“What will you be doing?” Christina jerked her head up and squared her shoulders at James.

James fought the urge to roll his eyes.

“I’ll be providing cover and assistance to either fireteam depending on the situation. Any other questions?”

“So who’s this Silence guy?” Douglas asked while fiddling with his weapon.

James chose to ignore the blatant lack of respect Douglas had for his rifle for the time being. He’d fully correct that behavior later after securing his position as squad leader.

“From what I hear. He’s some hot shot who thinks he’s above everyone else just because he set a few range records.” James felt his blood boil a bit but he managed to keep things level. “He knows how to shoot, but he knows nothing about tactics. We’re going to show him the error of his ways.”

“If you’re all done having a heart to heart, the training exercise has begun.” The sergeant major’s voice came booming over an intercom. 

James turned and saw that both the ranking officer and Ares, the other AI unit that had been by Silence, were nowhere to be seen. 

James cursed and yelled out. “We’re ready.”

“I didn’t ask if you were.” Barnes’ amplified voice growled back. “You’ve got an hour to get this done.”

“Right.” James chambered a round into his M33 rifle. “Let’s get to hunting.”

 

I really wanted to get to the action here, but I was fearful the chapter would get too long. I honestly don't mean to keep teasing it. Sorry about that. The next chapter should be coming within the next few days.

As always thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed.

7