Chapter 27
229 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Welcome back. A note of clarification, the current mission the squad is taking part in is still a training exercise. I fear I made it sound like they were out in the real world last time facing the enemy when that is not the case. They are still within the aegis complex and were given an unexpected twist during a training exercise. I just wanted to clear that up in case the last chapter was misunderstood. I may go back later and edit it a bit more to get that point across but for the time being I'll just do that here.

As always, thanks for reading. I hope you enjoy.

Lucas felt his face burning as he sprinted away from his squad. Any moment now Lilly would begin making fun of his attempted bravado. He winced in preparation, but the smug remarks never came. It was only when Lucas let down his guard and paid attention to his connection with Lilly that he realized that she wasn’t feeling amused. Instead of the typical giddy mirth his AI companion would normally express in this situation, Lucas instead felt a contemplative hesitation vibrating through their mental link. 

I’m not trying to put you down Lucas. Lilly spoke evenly as Lucas sprinted through the rough and rocky terrain between the rest of Viator squad and the incoming hostile force. You tried to put yourself out there and be a leader. I know that’s hard for you and I’m very happy that you’re trying.

Lucas blushed. Well, if that’s the case then why are you concerned?

Why are we out here on our own? Lilly asked plainly.

Lucas slid behind a rock and took a moment to survey his surroundings. The artificial hills behind him were just large enough that his squad’s position was no longer visible. There were plenty of outcroppings to use for cover but the lack of trees and other types of vegetation meant Lucas was going to have a hard time moving without being cut down by enemy fire.

We’re here to buy a little more time. Lucas stated as he continued analyzing the terrain. The longer the enemy takes advancing the better chance we’ll have of holding them off until the timer is up.

As logical as your reasoning is, Lucas, I know what the underlying reason is. You can’t keep anything from me, remember? Lilly said with a bittersweet tone.

I don’t know what you mean. Lucas absentmindedly began to count his magazines and confirmed their positions on Lilly’s body.

Uh, huh. Lilly sighed. You're still running away from the problem Lucas. Ashten and James were the correct choices for team leaders, but that doesn’t mean you can dump all responsibility on them and then go off on your own. We won’t always be performing training exercises, Lucas. If you get into trouble on your own in the field it could be fatal.

I can’t lead other people. Lucas stood and rushed forward.

Up ahead, the far side of the training field came to an end and a large row of double doors rose into view.

You did just fine with Ashten. Lilly pointed out. She was completely surrounded in that town scenario and you told her how to get out. Why can’t you do that with the rest of the squad.

That was different. Lucas found a new piece of cover and checked the timer in the corner of his heads up display. I had time to analyze the situation and give instructions. When I get into a firefight I lose the ability to do that. At that point I don’t think anymore, I just do, and I leave my team behind. That’s why my teammates always grow to hate me. I don’t communicate when the bullets start flying and it usually gets them killed.

Lucas lifted his rifle and aimed it at the doors closest to him. Are there any rules against spawn killing?

He could feel Lilly smirk as she answered. No, but there will be after today.

The five minute grace period command had given them expired right as the large doors a hundred meters away began to open. The training drones were so tightly packed together in the entryway Lucas’ first magazine downed seven machines before they even lifted their arms.

They hadn’t even finished their startup routine. Lilly laughed. Just remind me not to ask you for a wakeup call.

Lucas smiled as he slapped in a fresh magazine and continued his onslaught. The first group didn’t even make it out of the door before Lucas cut them all down. A second door opened up further to Lucas’ left and he swung his barrel around and continued to drop robots as they came into view.

That’s twenty down. I think they’re going to start sending them two groups at a time now. Lilly announced smugly.

True to her word, two more doors opened up to Lucas’ left. This time a few enemies managed to make it out onto the battlefield but even then they didn’t have much cover. Lucas ducked as a few bullets struck the top of the rock he was situated behind. Keeping low, Lucas slid to the right and popped around the side of his patch of cover and dropped the two remaining bots in the distance.

“Viator one one this is Aegis command, why is your squad assaulting the enemy staging position? Break. As per the mission parameters, if the defensive position is not fortified this mission will be considered lost. Am I understood? Over.”

Someone’s not paying attention to their monitors. Lilly tut tutted. They think we’re all out here.

“Aegis command, this is Viator one one. Silence is performing delaying operations while the rest of Viator is finishing the defensive preparations. Over.”

There were a few moments of silence.

“Viator one one, are you saying squad leader Silence has taken out forty enemy hostiles on his own? Please confirm, over.”

Lilly laughed out loud before responding.

“Aegis command that is affirmative. Over and out.”

Lucas watched all four open doors swing close and a loud mechanical whirl sounded out from each one. While he didn’t quite know what was happening behind each one Lucas’ best guess was they were restocking the downed AIs. The radio crackled to life once more and a slightly aggravated captain Dunn called out again.

“Viator one one be advised, enemy mortars have targeted your position. Fall back immediately, over.”

Lucas glanced up at the high ceiling above them and watched a few metal panels slide open.

Looks like someone is upset their scenario fell to pieces. We should probably start running. Lilly advised with a chuckle.

Lucas shook his head and began to sprint back to the east. A quick glance back confirmed Lucas’ suspicion that the doors were reopening with a fresh group of enemies in each one. Any thought Lucas had to stop and shoot a few more enemies disappeared when the first mortar landed. An explosion shook the ground as the rock Lucas had just been using for cover disappeared in a plume of dirt and stone.

Lilly whistled internally. She’s not playing around. Okay, real talk Lucas. If we get hit by one of those mortars I may seriously end up damaged. Best keep running.

Lucas nodded and continued to pump his legs as hard as he could. The thumps and concussive waves from the mortar shells faded as Lucas crested the last small hill and spotted his destination. The once sorry and hole filled cinder block structures had been transformed over the last fifteen minutes into formidable defensive bunkers. Lucas spied friendly weapons tracking his approach through the many firing holes that had been crafted in each window.

They did well. Lilly echoed Lucas’ own thoughts. Now let’s hurry and get inside.

A sharp crack caused Lucas to duck. For half a second, Lucas thought that one of his squad members had taken a shot at him, but Lilly immediately dissuaded that notion.

Hostiles coming up fast behind us. Double time Lucas. Lilly urged him.

Lucas sprang forward as more shots rang out behind him.

Too far. Lucas felt his stomach sink as he ran.

The enemy AIs were already cresting the nearest hill. There was no way he would make it inside or even to the nearest piece of cover.

“Silence, get down!”

At Ashten’s shout, Lucas slid down and rolled onto his stomach. A hail of bullets erupted over his head. Lucas angled himself into a prone shooting position and added his own fire to the cascade of death ripping apart the nearest squad of robotic soldiers.

“Targets down, targets down.” James called out over the radio. “Squad lead, get in team one’s building. Team two will cover.”

Lucas scrambled to his feet and ran the last two dozen feet to his destination. Another round of fire signaled the arrival of the next squad of hostiles. Lucas didn’t look back as he threw himself through the first unobstructed window on the side of team one’s building.

“Squad lead is in.” Lilly called out over the radio.

“Team one resuming fire.” Ashten responded.

Lucas took a deep comforting breath and waited a few seconds for his heart to settle down from its rapid pace. The rate and amount of gunshots increased exponentially.

James swore loudly over the radio. “There are so many of them. Two minutes till air support. Keep them back for two minutes.”

Lucas quickly picked himself up and ran to the nearest firing hole. Team one was spread evenly across the western wall. Some were prone while others had elected to take higher stationed gaps to shoot through. Lucas slid up next to Dug.

“Good to see you Silence. I see you made a lot of friends.” Dug joked.

Lucas grunted in response. Dug laughed.

“You're quite the charmer SL. You remind me of-”

There was a loud clang and Dug dropped to the ground mid-sentence.

“Viator one three is down.” Lilly announced somberly.

Lucas cursed and returned fire.

“Viator one eight is down.” Henry, James’ AI called out right after.

Enrique. Lucas thought bitterly.

“Thirty seconds.” James shouted.

The seconds ticked by at a terrifyingly slow pace as the firefight continued. Lucas had to take a few magazines off of Dug’s motionless body in order to stay in the fight. He never knew he could go through ammunition this quickly.

“Times up!”

James’ cheer was joined by everyone except for Lucas and Ashten. The firing from Viator squad trickled off but the enemy outside continued their ferocious push.

“Aegis command this is Viator one one.” Lilly radioed. “Requesting confirmation on friendly air support’s arrival. Over.”

Lucas ducked as a bullet glanced off of his head. Stepping to the right, Lucas leaned out and leveled the nearest robot with three rounds to his chest.

“Aegis command this is Viator one one.” Lilly called out with greater urgency. “Requesting confirmation on friendly air support’s arrival. Over.”

“We’re running low on ammo over here squad lead.” James radioed. “Did you get the wrong time?”

“They told us we had to hold out for twenty minutes.” Ashten shot back. “We all heard the same orders.”

Something is wrong. Lilly voiced internally.

Before Lucas could respond the enemy outside ceased fire.

“Break break break.” Captain Dunn’s frantic voice called out. “All training sessions are to cease immediately. All Combat platforms are to report to the nearest loading bay and await further orders. All pilots are to return to their quarters and await instructions from their commanding officer.”

Lucas turned to his right and met Ashten’s gaze across the room.

I think our training is over.

9