Chapter 29
138 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After a few weeks underground, the bright natural light that struck Lucas’ retinas seemed almost foreign. The fall sun drifted high in the clear Colorado sky. The clear blue color was almost peaceful enough to make Lucas forget why he was here. That was until a pair of military helicopters roared passed. 

Boeing–Sikorsky RAH-66 Comanche. Lucas identified the model as they flew east. That program was canceled in my world.

Not here. Stealth technology on all of our scouting and attack helicopters became increasingly vital as the war progressed. The comanche serves as the most common front line helicopter you’ll see. Lilly noted.

Lucas’ eyes dropped down to earth and he took in his surroundings for the first time. He stood in the parking lot of a massive shopping complex. A large mall dominated the center space of this complex. Even from this distance, Lucas could see a combination of robotic and human soldiers hard at work on the ground floor and roof of the shopping center. The parking lot itself was nearly empty of civilian vehicles and served as a barren no man’s land. To add to that advantage, to the east, the lot directly across the street lay largely undeveloped. The Wu Jin were going to have to push through open ground to assault their position. 

Lucas nodded with satisfaction. This is a good place to set up.

The hundred and sixty third has the mall and everything south of that covered while the hundred and fifty seventh is holding the line to our direct North. We’ll be here.

A small indicator appeared on Lucas’ display. The small triangle directed his attention to the large department store that occupied the north eastern corner of the block, away from the main mall structure.

The one sixty third and one fifty seventh are national guard units aren’t they? Not that I think we’re any better than they are, but will they be able to hold off the Wu Jin? Lucas nervously checked his weapon and ammunition. Where are the regular regiments?

Fighting in the outer defensive perimeter. Honestly there isn’t much difference at this point. Most trained members of the military have died in combat so draftees are filling in wherever they’re needed. Lilly responded somberly. Survive a few battles and you’ll be one of the most experienced soldiers out here.

Lucas’s hands stopped moving. I’m not a soldier, Lilly.

Of course not. Lilly thought in a rush. I was talking about everyone else.

Lucas frowned. The lines defining what his role was here were beginning to blur and he wasn’t sure what the end result would be. His desire to help fight this robotic enemy threatening humanity remained strong, but Lucas had to be careful not to get roped into more than he volunteered for. Then again, even if he was a part of some type of specialized squad of draftees and travelers from another dimension, wasn’t he already on his way to becoming a soldier?

Not to interrupt your deep pondering of your place in the cosmos. Lilly intruded lightly on his thoughts. But there’s a humvee approaching.

Lucas turned back towards the distant mall and spotted the tan military vehicle driving directly towards him.

Who is it? Lucas felt a nervous sweat form on his back.

Relax, it’s just a lieutenant and his sergeant. They’ve been ordered to provide our position with ammunition.

As if on cue, a large dirty military truck pulled around the corner of the mall and began to rumble towards Lucas. It would take a minute or two for the large lumbering truck to cross the large parking lot while the humvee was already braking to a stop in front of him. An AI stepped out of the passenger side door and a human male in his late forties stepped out of the driver’s seat. Lilly immediately pulled up the name, rank, and unit of the AI in front of Lucas, though it didn’t really matter as the pilot introduced them both immediately.

“First lieutenant Jason Mills, leader of Charlie company.” The AI snapped a crisp salute at Lucas as the pilot’s young voice spoke loudly. “Are you the one in charge here?”

Lucas hesitated for a moment before nodding. The human stepped around the front of the humvee and gave a small salute of acknowledgement to Lucas.

First sergeant Bantz. Lucas read the name and rank off of the man’s uniform.

“We’ve been ordered to share a section of our ammo supply to your unit here.” The lieutenant cleared his throat and gazed at Lucas expectantly.

“Oh, er… thanks.” Lucas avoided the lieutenant’s robotic stare by watching the approaching truck instead.

“You know, we’re already pressed for supply as it is.” Lieutenant Mills’ voice grew defensive. “I may feel better about giving up our valuable resources if I knew what it was being used for.”

“Sir. Might I remind you that we are under orders to assist a friendly unit.” The sergeant barked out. “Their orders are not of our concern.”

The lieutenant’s eyes snapped over to the sergeant for a tense moment.

“Thank you for the reminder, sergeant.” The lieutenant shot an indecipherable look at Lucas before stomping away to wave in the approaching ammo truck.

“You’ll have to excuse him sir.” The sergeant said with a sigh. “He’s still green behind the ears and the coming assault has him on edge. I suppose that goes for all of us these days, doesn’t it?”

Lucas nodded.

“We’ll do what we can to support your company, sergeant Bantz.” Lily spoke aloud.

The sergeant chuckled. “Yeah, we’re probably going to need it. Best of luck to you.”

The human soldier gave another quick salute before walking off to supervise the troops offloading the ammo crates Lucas’ squad would be using.

Well that was the only reason I was out here when you connected, Lilly announced, So let’s head inside and help the rest of the squad prepare our fighting positions.

As his vision drifted back to the east, distant columns of smoke and flashes of explosions could be seen from the first defensive line outside of the city. Lucas felt a chill settle over his body as he watched the distant fighting. It wouldn’t be long for that madness to reach them.

8