26: I Heard A Few Things
168 6 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

26: I Heard A Few Things

 

 

 

Sevei woke slowly and hazily, aware only of the cloying scent of the soporific incense and a sharp pain in his spine. He twisted in the chair, intending to find a more comfortable position and go back to sleep, but as he peeked an eye open, he sat upright in joyful surprise.

Yeresym sat up in the bed, his back against the headboard, his legs tucked up crosswise, his hands on his knees. His eyes were closed, and a gentle glow of blue light surrounded him.

At the tent wall beyond the bed, Meira stood at a counter stirring the contents of a copper cup, the spoon rattling against the metal. She cast a glance over her shoulder as Sevei shifted noisily in the chair.

Yeresym's eyes slowly opened. A light mist of blue swirled across the sclera before all of the energy dissipated.

“You're awake,” he said with a raspy voice.

Sevei smiled. “Shouldn't I say that?” he laughed. “When did you wake up?”

“A few hours ago,” Yeresym answered. “I told them not to disturb you. You looked comfortable.”

“My neck would disagree with that,” Sevei winced, rubbing at his shoulder. He gave Yeresym an appraising look-over. “So that's what Contemplation looks like? Should I go? I don't want to interrupt.”

Yeresym shook his head. “You can stay. I'm only resting.”

“You've been asleep for a week and a half,” Sevei reminded.

“And it was exhausting.”

Sevei pulled himself out of the chair with a few popping protests from his joints, then sat on the edge of the bed, now cleared of all the herbs and flowers.

“How are you feeling? Need more rest, or are you ready to get up?”

Yeresym looked hesitant. “I'm... unsteady yet.” He gave a reassuring gesture to Sevei's concerned expression. “It's expected,” he said. “I'll be fine in another day or so.”

Meira came over and handed Yeresym the cup. He sniffed it with a grimace, then drank it down as quickly as he could.

“Is there anything you need?” Sevei asked.

“A proper bath,” Meira said, mimicking Yeresym's disdainful sniff. Sevei chuckled.

“I... can't get down to the river yet,” Yeresym mumbled, giving Sevei a troubled glance. “I'm not sure I want to.”

“Ah, if only I'd gotten that bathtub,” Sevei complained.

Yeresym and Meira both raised questioning eyebrows.

“Oh, it's nothing,” Sevei said. “I just had a fancy a while back. Tell you what – I could take you down.”

Yeresym's eyes narrowed with unease. “That would be...”

“It would be safe,” Sevei asserted.

Meira took the cup and moved to the far end of the tent to wash it.

Sevei leaned in with a mischievous smile and whispered, “And it would be nothing I haven't seen already.”

Yeresym huffed. “Is that all you ever think about?”

“Thinking of you?” Sevei murmured lowly. “Every waking moment, and then all night in my dreams.”

“I'll be just outside,” Meira announced, sweeping past them on her way to the door. She gave Yeresym a pointed look, as if to remind him of something. He watched her go with a glower of betrayal.

Sevei reclined across the bed, propping his head on one hand and gazing up at Yeresym's eyes as if he could never get enough of the sight of them. “Yeresym...” he said softly.

Yeresym frowned back at him, shifting uncomfortably. His lips opened to speak, but closed again silently.

Alright then, no serious talk just yet.

“Ye... re... sym...” Sevei pronounced slowly, dragging each syllable out in a musing tone.

Yeresym raised a skeptical brow.

“Yeri?” Sevei said, his face beaming affectionately up at him. “Nnn. That's not it.”

Yeresym's eyes narrowed with suspicion. “What are you doing?” he asked darkly.

“Ye... re... sym...” Sevei drawled again. “Your name doesn't shorten neatly. Has anyone ever had a pet name for you?”

“General Urskatha,” he said dryly, straightening his back in indignation.

Sevei laughed out loud. “No, really! Your mother, maybe? What does she call you?”

Yeresym huffed impatiently. “I am the sixth of eight children of a Principal Household,” he informed. “I'm lucky if my mother can remember my actual name, let alone anything like that.”

Sevei gave an exaggerated frown. “Well, that's just... sad.”

Yeresym shrugged. “It is what it is. She's a busy woman with a Principality to run.”

“I'll think of one for you,” Sevei assured him.

“I am an adult man, if you hadn't noticed,” Yeresym groused.

“Oh, I've certainly noticed,” Sevei answered suggestively.

Yeresym looked away, seemingly exasperated, although Sevei could see him fighting down a tiny smile. He collected himself, then looked back at Sevei, returning the gaze that had never left his eyes.

“I'm glad you're not dead,” he murmured.

Sevei sat up and took the hand resting on Yeresym's knee. “Thanks to you for that,” he said sincerely. “You probably shouldn't have done it, though. You are so much more valuable than I am. They need you. I could be replaced by anyone.”

Yeresym squeezed his hand hard, his green eyes misting as he shook his head. “I couldn't just let you... I wasn't going to die. You can see, I'm fine.”

“Well, let's keep it that way, alright?” Sevei insisted.

Yeresym nodded. “There will be no dying,” he whispered.

Sevei's eyes widened. “You heard that?”

“I haven't really been unconscious,” Yeresym told him. “Not truly. I was in and out a lot, I just couldn't move. I could hear you talking to me.”

“Hear anything else good?”

“I heard... a few things...”

“Mm,” Sevei answered knowingly. “I think I said that one right before I told you that I love you.”

Yeresym went rigid, staring like a stunned deer at their hands clasped together on his knee.

“Well, you don't have to tell me what you think of that,” Sevei added with a bit of forced cheer. “I think you said everything when you risked yourself to haul me out of that river.”

Yeresym glanced sharply at him, then looked away again, saying nothing. Sevei gave a nod of understanding to Yeresym's silence, and began to draw away, but Yeresym leaned forward and gripped the front of his tunic, halting him. Then he froze again, closing his eyes with a pained expression as his breath came in an audible rush.

Sevei slowly closed the distance and very, very gently kissed him, only pressing each of his lips in turn, lingering warmly on the bottom lip before withdrawing. His heart quivered when Yeresym's lips tried to follow his own as they separated.

“You have a good rest,” Sevei said, sliding off the bed onto his feet. “Do your Contemplation. I have to go do all of your work for you. Your Second is utterly useless.”

Yeresym lips suddenly spread into a wide smile that went all the way to his eyes, which crinkled and lit up with mirth.

Sevei's mouth fell open in absolute delight. “Is that what it takes?” he asked incredulously. “Insulting your Second?”

Yeresym's brow furrowed in confusion.

“This,” Sevei returned his smile wholeheartedly while wagging a finger at the other man's face. He sighed with great satisfaction. “Oh, I knew that would be lovely. I'm going to insult that featherbrain all the time, now.”

Yeresym stifled a laugh. “Don't,” he implored. “He did just save my life after all.”

“I thought you weren't going to die?” Sevei challenged. “No, I'll be extra nice to him. Meira did explain him to me, and now I do feel a bit bad for the kid.”

“Mhm,” Yeresym agreed.

As Sevei turned to leave, the bedclothes rustled and Yeresym's voice sounded again behind him.

“Kat.”

“Hmm?” Sevei inquired, turning around again.

“From Urskatha,” Yeresym said hesitantly, his eyes shifting to the side. “Some... other students at the Academy used to call me that.”

Sevei's face broke into a gleeful grin. “Now that suits you,” he laughed. “All fangs and claws, pretending he doesn't need anyone...”

Yeresym huffed. “I shouldn't have told you.”

“Too late now, Kat!” he teased. Then he took on a conciliatory tone. “I'll use it sparingly,” he promised. “See? I can learn to pet along the fur.”

Leaving Yeresym holding his head in regret, Sevei stepped out into the sunshine with an overflowing heart. He gave Meira a smile in passing. He spied Lieutenant Thelan approaching without watching ahead, and walked right into his path until they collided.

Sevei threw his arms around the Alchemist's thin frame, smothering him in a tight hug.

“What...” came Thelan's dazed voice muffled against Sevei's shoulder, “...is happening?”

From her seat in front of Yeresym's tent, Meira looked on with a warm smile and gave him a sympathetic shrug.

 

8