48 – The Maiden Makes Her Mark
349 3 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*****

"How was it, Ahsa? Do you like it? It isn't too hot, is it?" Ahsa snaps out of her daze a few seconds after I fed her the pie I made after an experiment.

(Will I be able to supply my bloody needs with Magic Creation, I wonder? It works just fine with food after all. Or is there some other factor like mana, vitality, life force, Kai, or something else that makes it so unique? I really need to meet a vampire, I can't just wait for something unusual to happen to learn more about myself. I may have eternity to live but that doesn't mean I won't die to some random coincidence like some demon being unsealed or some ancient monster being revived by some cult.)

"Mistress?" Ahsa called out to me worried. Did something come up while I was thinking?

"What is it, Ahsa? Did you not like the pie?"

She finishes her slice and goes silent again as if forgetting that she called out. So I did what seemed logical and looked at Lory and the twin who were happily eating their own slices.

"Hum, you were frowning while looking at her as if you were thinking of something unpleasant. You looked quite worried, young miss," I looked back at Ahsa as she explained to me."

It was just silence when I started thinking about it while Lory waited for my response until Ahsa spoke again.

"Umm, Mistress…" She seemed to want to say something but couldn't so I asked, "What is it, Ahsa?"

"W-why are you so nice to me? After I was sold to slavery, no one has ever asked me about my opinion or even asked if I'm fine…"

(She's talking more and more now… though unnoticeable, her complexion also got better. Now she just needs to gain some weight and smile more often and she will be perfect, I can tell.)

"Mistress, you're doing it again… you keep getting lost in your thoughts…"

"What's this?" I grinned, "Finally feeling like opening up to me, dear?"

Flustered, Ahsa sunk into between her legs.

"You're such a tease, young miss?" Li said as she moved to bring Ahsa into a hug, "I think she needs a break from it…" she said as she made herself comfortable with Ahsa in her embrace. I want to do that, but since I'm too short we'd look like younger and older siblings…

"Then perhaps you want me to tease you more instead? Did you miss my teasing, perhaps?"

As we were fooling around, the ship rocked a little. We're departing, I guessed.

"Seems like we're departing, do you guys want to go up the ship deck? To go take in some fresh air, perhaps?" I asked to the three who just finished eating their meals.

Lory hummed in approval, "Hn! Let's do that, it's been a while since I've last been on a ship, I kind of miss standing out there just taking in the sea breeze," she said rubbing the back of her neck.

"That would be wonderful, young miss," Lo said from the side as she cleans the plates.

"You've really gotten yourself into that servant role, huh? Lo."

She smiled at me as she goes back to wiping dry the plates. Looked back again and said,

"It's a new experience, young miss. And if I'm being honest, I kind of like it. Serving you and all…" She said and then whispered under her breathe, "It was worth it forcing grandpa to let us come with."

(I see… so it wasn't his idea, but hers, or perhaps it is both of them. These twins, what exactly are their reason for coming along? They should be spending their time with their grandfather, don't they think he will feel lonely?)

A knock from the door threw me out of my thoughts as I asked Li to see who it is.

"Who are they?" Li asked. 

"Good day miss, is Lady Eraldine Siyen available?" She called for me, so I came, while still holding Ahsa's hand.

"Yes I am, is there anything you need, miss maid?" I asked her.

"Yes milady, a noble lord demands your presence at a small party he's currently holding. He claims that it is offending for you to not come up when he so respectfully invited you," the maid bowed as soon as she saw me and spoke.

"Invited? I received an invitation? I'm sorry, but that's news to me," Though she was taken aback by what I said, she remained calm.

"I'm sorry but I was told to lead you to the deck and that you had an invitation."

"I see, then please tell me who is this noble that is holding a party. I might come with if I knew their name," I pulled the maid in as she panicked from the sudden action and closed the door behind her.

"M-milady? Why do I feel like I am being interrogated?" She asked, her eyes darting around.

"Hmmm, name. Please? And your opinion of him, tell me with complete honesty, no one is going to punish you even if you say anything rude," I didn't answer and questioned her instead.

"Y-yes, it was Lord Gabriel Alberrioko that is holding the party. If complete honesty is what you want t-then I think most of his 'invitees' were all also forced to join him, he has quite a rank and wealth after all… only a few like yourself would dare go against what he wants, miss."

"I see, thank you. You're free to leave or wait for us behind the door, let us change into fitting attires."

And so, she stayed behind the door after a bow. I gave the girls each a dress that suited them, changed, and called out to the maid for her to lead us to the said party.

"Lead the way," I said, holding onto Ahsa's arm beside me. If only she were as short of me.

"Understood, then this way if you could please."

We spent walking in silence, the twins wore maid uniforms and Lory wore her hair down to do front and a green one-piece backless dress. She was beautiful, no wonder she was captured by that Marquis.

Soon after, we are in front of a door leading outside to the deck.

"Then milady, servants such as I are only allowed up to here. There's another set of servants that will be serving you out there. Please enjoy and stay safe," She smiled as she opened the door, inviting us into the party full of men and women in fancy attires, and dresses.

As soon as I and my group stepped in, silence dawned down the room. And then a male voice shouted.

"Finally, Lady Eraldine! Here I thought you wouldn't show up, you had me worried for a while. I even thought that maybe you didn't receive my invitation letter…" He paused as he looked at the twins. "Oh! Perhaps that is what happened! Dear me, you really should get better servants, milady. I can exchange some of mine for yours, what do you think?"

(Seriously, this world and its nobles… or is it just this country's? Either way, they need to improve as a person.) I sighed internally.

 

*****

To clarify, whenever Celes is teasing someone, know that she's only acting.

19